- Text Size +

CHAPTER 22 - THE WEEKEND OF REVELATIONS

 

OUTSIDE GUS’S SCHOOL - AFTERNOON

 

GUS

 

I am so excited! I can see Daddy and Daddy Justin! “Daddies!” I yell and fling myself into daddy's arms.

 

“Sonny boy!” Daddy kisses me on both cheeks and I reach for Daddy Justin and he takes me off daddy because he has my case. “Are you ready?”

 

“Yes daddy, please tell me where we’re going please?!” I beg.

 

“Oh he’s the spit of you.” Miss Bell says. “He’s been a very good boy this week and is so excited to be going with you both. So...”

 

“Thanks Miss Bell. Come on, let’s get going.” Daddy Justin says and we go to the car park.

 

“What’s the matter?” Daddy asks Daddy Justin.

 

“Friend of Cinders.”

 

“Ah, I see.” Daddy says and puts my case down. “Won't be long now. Ah, here she is.”

 

A huge car pulls up and a pretty lady gets out. “That’s Ruth, isn't it daddy?”

 

“Yes it is. Glad you remembered me. So are we ready?” She opens the door and the inside is huge too. “In you get Gus.” She smiles at me and I get in and daddy gets in with me and Daddy Justin gets in on the other side.

 

“Do you remember playing in Twin Lake Parks with Uncle Ben?” Daddy asks and I nod. “Well we’re going to be near there. And that’s all you’re finding out for now.”

 

MISS BELL

 

“Hi Lindz, it’s Celia. No, I couldn’t find out where they were taking him. I tried but they really haven’t told him where they are going. They’re just heading to the car park right now. Are you okay? You sound like you’re getting a cold. Okay, well get better. See you.”

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

Dammit! This is so frustrating! I don’t see why they can’t just tell me where they are taking my son! Michael told me what Ben did to him and he’s understandably furious. Ben is being plain mercenary. So he’s going to see him later. Right now, he’s trying to call the police on Eli after he threatened him with the hose.

 

“Any luck?” I ask as he puts down his phone.

 

“None. Do you know what that bastard actually did?” He complains and I shake my head, wishing I had put my hair up as I can still smell bacon fat. “He’s reported me for damage to the property!”

 

“Who has?”

 

“No doubt Hunter as it’s his house. Fucking brat!”

 

“Look try and not get worked up. I’m going to go home and pick up the things she didn’t pack. I’ll be back in an hour or so.”

 

“Okay. I’m going to look at properties, I suppose.”

 

RUTH’S CONDO

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

He’s been very good and not asked any more questions. We were going to go to Heavenly but Ruth said she’s got to be there this weekend, so we can use her place instead. We’ve been told we’re not to fuck in her bed or she will cut our balls off!

 

“Daddy, there’s a pool!” Gus bounces with excitement as he looks out the window.

 

“Yes and you're not to go near it without either of us being with you, okay?” I tell him and he almost nods his head off. “Now come and get unpacked. Then we can get some food for the weekend.”

 

“Okay daddy!” He takes Justin’s hand and looks round in amazement. “Daddy, this place is so big! Will we be able to find each other in the morning?” He looks a little scared.

 

“Absolutely. One or both of us will be with you at all times. So don’t worry, alright?”

 

Justin frowns at me and sits Gus next to him. “Gus, can you tell us something please? And you won’t get in trouble for it, I promise.”

 

“Okay Daddy Justin.”

 

“When you said you still got punished after you apologised for being naughty, where was that? Was it at school or at home?”

 

“At home.” He replies quietly. “Mommy was still cross. Did I make her go away by being naughty?”

 

“No Gus, you didn’t. Mommy and Momma are not angry with you; they are angry with each other. But the most important thing to remember is that they still love you very much. You must always remember that.” I tell him, sitting on his other side.

 

“I will daddy.” He looks at both of us. “Daddy Justin? Why did mommy want you to go away?”

 

“When did your mommy say that to you?” He asks quietly.

 

“She didn’t. I heard her say it to momma. Momma said she shouldn’t say things like that so she hasn’t again. But why did she?”

 

I look across at Justin, who is being remarkably calm but I know he’s absolutely furious. “I don’t know Gus but I can promise you that I’m not going anywhere without your daddy.”

 

“Good! I love it when you’re with daddy ‘cause he’s happy.” Gus smiles at us both.

 

“Right, I think we should put your things away and go shopping like daddy said.” Justin smiles and blows a raspberry on his neck, making him laugh. Gus takes his hand with a smile.

 

I know someone who won’t be smiling when I speak to her on Sunday!

 

CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY - FRIDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

OUTSIDE BEN’S OFFICE

 

BEN

 

I knew it was too good to be true. He’s currently at reception. Well he can follow me about as much as he wants. I’ve got better things to do than deal with his histrionics.

 

I lock my office door just as he’s coming down the corridor. “Ben! I want to speak to you!” I just stare at him. “I said I want to talk to you. By that, I mean inside the office!”

 

I adjust my papers and head to the exit. He looks stymied and for a minute, he’s rooted to the spot, before running to catch up with me. “I want my money back Ben!” He whines.

 

I remain quiet as we get to the staff car park. I put my papers in the boot and of course, he stands in the way of the driver’s door. “You will pay that money back!”

 

“No, I won’t. Now move out of the way, I need to get home. Don’t come here again.” He looks utterly flummoxed but stands his ground.

 

The starting of the engine surprises him and he moves out of the way. “What the…?” He gasps in surprise as the car reverses.

 

“Never thought I would see evidence of you not noticing Hunter until now. You really are something else and that something is not good!” I quickly get in the back seat and leave him standing there. We laugh all the way home.

 

DELICIOUS FOODS

 

JUSTIN

 

I never thought we would get Gus out of the Condo as he’s been in his element. He’s sleeping in Ruth’s room and was so excited about sleeping in a big bed. He insisted on seeing where we were sleeping before we went anywhere. We didn’t pack his swim things so we’re going to have get him a pair because it’s supposed to be sunny all weekend.

 

I am pushing the trolley as Brian refused citing Armani and shopping trolleys don’t mix and Gus is holding his hand, completely fascinated by the store. Apparently, most of the food at Heavenly comes from here.

 

“So what do you want for dinner tonight Sonny Boy? You can have anything you want...within reason.” Brian adds when I raise my eyebrows.

 

“We can?” He looks back at me for confirmation. “Can we have that thing you always have, daddy?”

 

“He always has? What do you mean?” I ask.

 

“The one that you eat with sticks.”

 

“Oh Thai, you want Thai food today?” He nods. “Okay, we can make some Thai food.” I grab the stuff. “And tomorrow what do you want to eat at lunch time because we’re going to the park and we need to take a picnic.” His face falls. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Last time we went on a picnic, I had to sit down a lot.”

 

“Well that won’t be happening tomorrow, I promise.” Brian assures him. “Now are we all done here because someone needs things for swimming in?”

 

“I can go in the pool?!” He cries with delight. “Really?!”

 

“Yes if it’s warm enough you can go in the pool.”

 

“Daddy and Daddy Justin, you are the best daddies in the word! I love you both so much!”

 

“We love you too Gus. We love you too.” Brian beams at him.

 

MEL’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

LINDSAY

 

I try my key again and again and it doesn’t turn. I look closely at the lock and it looks the same, so why won’t it open?

 

“What are you doing here?” Mel sighs.

 

“Why won’t my key open the lock?” I demand.

 

“Because I had it changed, to prevent you doing what you're doing now. Coming, going and most likely staying as you pleased!” She snaps. “Now what do you want?”

 

I’m astonished. “You can’t do that!” I block her path. “This is my home!”

 

“Was where you lived and you left me, but the house is in my name, remember? And I know the law. Now state your business then be on your way.”

 

“State my business?” I can’t believe how she is behaving. “I have a few more things that I want and…”

 

“I have returned all your personal effects, everything else in the house is mine and all that was jointly purchased is in storage as I said to you.”

 

“You never said anything of the sort!” I almost explode. “Can we talk inside?!” I hiss, lowering my voice as a neighbour passes.

 

“Yes, I did. The note in which it was said was in the box, marked number 1, and no we can’t. I have had a very long day and I’m not in the mood to deal with you…”

 

“Where’s JR?”

 

“With her grandmother. Ben was supposed to pick her up but got pulled into an emergency…”

 

“Why couldn’t you call either Michael or I?!” I demand. “You seem hellbent on keeping her away from us. In fact, you seem to want to keep both our children away from us!”

 

“Oh stop being so melodramatic!” She snaps. “And I was in court, all day as you well know because I told you that yesterday. Besides, it was Sue who made the call to Debs after neither you nor Michael picked up your phones. She left messages for both of you and when she didn’t hear anything back, she called Debs. And she also left a message saying that too. Have you checked your messages?”

 

“No, she didn’t!” I hiss and thrust my phone into her hand. “My code hasn’t changed. You can check if you want!”

 

Message 1 received at 1327: Hi Ms Peterson, it’s Sue, Ms Marcus’s PA. Ben Bruckner was supposed to pick JR up at the crèche but he’s been called into an emergency meeting and won’t be able to pick her up. Can either you or Mr Novotny please pick her up, instead? You’d need to get the booster seat from Mr Carl Horvath first though. I’ve also left the same message for Mr Novotny too. Thanks bye.

 

Message 2 received at 1457: Hi Ms Peterson, it’s Sue again, please can you call me back. The crèche needs to know which one of you is coming. Thanks bye.”

 

Message 3 received at 1512: Lindsay it’s Debbie, I’ve just been called by Mel’s PA to pick up JR as you and Michael aren’t around. I’ll call Mel and let her know. Bye.”

 

I feel like my whole body is on fire as she hands the phone back. “Seems like Sue did exactly what she said she did.”

 

The door opens and when I turn around, I’m surprised to see Debs. “What are you doing in there?”

 

“Hey Mel. Lindsay, what are you doing here?”

 

“Listening to her messages.” Mel replies tersely. “Thanks for picking her up Debs.”

 

“Anytime honey. She’s in her pen. Seat’s in the lounge.”

 

I’m rooted to the spot in shock. Debs has a key to my house and seemingly to the loft after what she said to Brian?!

 

“You have a nice evening and a great weekend with Ben and Hunter. You need a lift Lindsay?”

 

“Oh yes, though just to Woody’s. I’m meeting Michael there.” I stammer, pulling myself together and following her to the car.

 

“Lindsay, I thought you wanted to see JR!” Mel calls out.

 

“I’ll see her tomorrow.” I call back.

 

“Again. We’re busy tomorrow, so now or Sunday after five when Gus is back so you can see them both then.  Wouldn’t want you to think we’re keeping the children away from you, would we?”

 

I boil inside but fix a smile on my face. “See you at half five then.”

 

“Oh I look forward to it.” She snipes, shutting the door before I can say anything else.

 

“Woody’s you said?” Debs interrupts my thoughts.

 

“Yes. So you have spare keys?” I ask casually.

 

“No. Those were Mel’s keys. I swung by the office to pick them up. So where were you two that you couldn’t pick JR up?”

 

“I-I had another appointment, which was why I was…”

 

“Don’t bullshit a bullshitter. Mel already told me and besides I could hear the pair of you, well just you actually, bitching. You’re bellyaching about not seeing JR, trying to stop Ben and, particularly, Hunter, from seeing her. And as for your behaviour in the diner, you were very lucky that Ruth didn’t hit you. You have an opportunity to see JR but you’re blowing it off to meet Michael in the pub instead. What for?”

 

“Debs, you don’t…”

 

“I do know this. You need to get a job, both of you, so that you can see those children. Because believe me when I say this, their other parents, who are acting like parents and not children who have had their toys taken away, will stop being so accommodating…”

 

“Accommodating?! You call not telling us where they are taking my son…”

 

Their son. And if you were honest with yourself, as if that’s really possible, this is all because Justin got the one thing you’d never thought would get got...he got Brian and he gets Brian in a way that you and Michael never will! Yeah, I know the irony of me defending him of all people after all these years. Now pull your head out of your ass and be the parent you were when Gus was so wanted by you! Give my son the same message! Do enjoy your drink!”

 

I’m surprised to find us outside of Woody’s and Michael waiting outside. He comes to the car with a grumpy expression

 

“Hi Ma, you’re not...”

 

“Out Lindsay! I’m not in the mood to hear a pity-whine from him!”

 

He looks as shocked as I feel as I clamber out. Before either of us can say anything, she drives off.

 

“What was that about?!” He exclaims.

 

“Did you check your messages?” I ask, leading him into the bar.

 

“I was trying to get hold of Ben to get my money back. You won’t believe what he did!”

 

“Can you check your messages first?” I tell him sternly and when he does, he looks at me just as sternly. “Michael, where were you?”

 

“I was trying to make Ben see reason! And besides where were you?!”

 

“I was trying to find out where they were taking Gus!” I grouse. “Debs ended up picking her up. She was really unreasonable just now. She even said that they were going to stop being accommodating…

 

“When did they start?” He demands as he carries our drinks to a spare table.

 

“Exactly what I was thinking. She’s being so accommodating that she’s changed the locks on the house because it’s in her name!”

 

“Speaking of houses, I’ve been thinking about location. Near Mel or near Brian? Definitely not near Ben as I still think he should not be involved.”

 

“Definitely near Brian. And...Lindsay Peterson speaking? Oh hi mother, how…”

 

I close my eyes in despair as she tells me that they are coming back early as in next week because they’re not enjoying it as much as they thought they would. And they’ve sublet the apartment. “So what does that mean for me, mother? Oh I see. Well thank you! Thank you very much. Yes I’ll see you then. Yes, I’ll call the service. Bye.”

 

“What’s happened?” Michael asks

 

“There is no apartment for me to move into. But they are giving me money for a deposit and the first month’s rent! So why don’t we pool our resources and share? I think we get on okay, don’t you?”

 

“Yeah, I think that’s a great idea. Let’s finish these up and start finding somewhere to live. Cheers!”

 

“Cheers!”

 

RUTH’S CONDO - LATE EVENING

 

SPARE ROOM

 

BRIAN

 

“That is one tired, but happy, little boy.” I smile at Justin, who is lying on his stomach with his peachy bubble butt looking very tempting. I lean down and give him a nip, which stops the sniggering he was doing.

 

“Hey, no biting or I won’t share!” He peers over his shoulder so I lick the spot better. “Have a look, I think we will have to share amongst a discerning few, like Mel, Ben and Hunter. You gotta admit, she did it with style.”

 

I take his phone, sit on his thighs and stroke his butt as I watch. I gape as Lindsay slaps Ruth. “You’ve got to be…”

 

“Wait for it.” Justin giggles, squirming.

 

It’s not often that I am stunned into silence. But when the pot was tipped over her head, I couldn’t believe it and then her efforts to get it off has me shaking with laughter. “Oh fuck! This is priceless!”

 

“Oh it gets even better!” He chortles.

 

The first blast that was clearly cold and had her pinned to the wall had me in tears. But then when the foam covered her from head to toe, I struggle to breathe because I’m laughing so hard. “She looks like a drowned rat!” I guffaw. “I want to find out what Ruth said to make her flounce like that!”

 

“Love the way she held her ground though, Ruth I mean. Can you imagine what she’d do if she ever hit her again?” He reaches for his phone and I hold it to my chest. “You want to watch it again, don’t you?” He grins up at me.

 

“Oh fuck yeah!” I laugh.

 

“Get up so I can get some wine and my iPad. This calls for the big screen!”

 

“Don’t feel the need to get dressed.”

 

“Oh I wasn’t.” He winks over his shoulder at me.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE - SATURDAY MORNING

 

HUNTER

 

She is so adorable! Mel got here an hour ago and JR has been good as gold. She’s being fed at the moment by me! I’ve never held her let alone fed her. The Marcus gene has bashed the Novotny one into submission where this kid is concerned!

 

“Hey Brian. No we’re fine. So far, they’ve not bothered us. Yes, I would love to talk to Gus. Hey Gus, how are you? Are you being good for your daddies? Great that’s great. Um, I’m not sure what we’re doing, why? Oh that’s very sweet of you Gus but it’s...okay, let me ask.” She covers her phone. “Gus is going to Twin Lake Parks for a picnic and he wants us to come too.”

 

Dad and I exchange looks because we know what will happen when they find out. “Is he absolutely sure he wants us to come?” He asks.

 

“I know what you’re thinking and I thought the same but he asked without prompting. So…?”

 

“I’m good if you are.” Dad replies and she nods.

 

“Okay Gus, we’ll come. Can I speak to daddy or daddy Justin? Hey, you realise what’s going to happen when they find out? Oh, I see. Okay, we’ll see you in a couple of hours.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“He doesn’t want Uncle Michael and Mommy to come because they just sat down all the time!” She laughs. “Come on, let’s get this little miss ready.”

 

ESTATE AGENTS

 

LINDSAY

 

“So this one. It’s a couple of blocks from Tremont, isn’t it? Is that available soon?”

 

“It is. It will be ready for occupation next weekend, so just in time. It needs to be cleaned first.”

 

“Then we’ll take it, it’s fully furnished, isn’t it?” Michael is grinning and I can’t help but join him.

 

“I can’t wait to see Justin’s face when he realises we are virtually neighbours. Maybe he’ll bring us a welcome to the neighbourhood cake!”

 

TWIN LAKES PARK - THREE HOURS LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

I am so glad I have my pads!  Gus has been running round with Mel, Brian, Ben and Hunter, while I look after JR, who is playing on her mat. We’re taking turns to look after her and I have been sketching as well as taking some shots of her.

 

“Daddy Justin!” Gus comes running back to me, grinning happily. “I’m having such a great time, but daddy said that I should have some wa…” He pauses in mid-sentence because I know he’s seen his surprise. “Daddy Justin, it’s the dogs! The dogs from last time, they’re here!”

 

“Yes I know. We asked Ruth if she could bring them and she said yes.”

 

“But what about JR? She’s too little to play with them.”

 

“That’s true. That’s why you’re going to play over there with them so she doesn’t get scared.”

 

“Hi Gus. I understand you’ve met Frick and Frack before?” Ruth smiles at him and sets the basket down.

 

“Yes oh yes!”

 

“Well they love to run about and do you know what their absolute favourite thing is?” He shakes his head. “Swimming. So I was wondering if you would like to take them swimming tomorrow.”

 

“Swimming where? Around here?”

 

“No. Where else is there water that you know?”

 

“At the house that we’re staying in. They can come there?” He looks delighted.

 

“Well of course they can Gus, they live there.”

 

“How do they...are they your dogs Ruth?”

 

“Yes, they’re mine.” She grins. “Now Daddy Justin is going to go with you to take them to play with everyone else, okay?”

 

“I’ll send one of them back for JR.” I take the leashes and Gus’s hand.

 

“Take your time.” She replies and settles down to wait.

 

MEL

 

“God I needed that!” I exclaim as I sit down next to her.

 

“What’s the that you needed.”

 

“To run off some fucking steam. She was around last night and tried to get into the house.”

 

“Have you had any emails from say Emmy or Justin?”

 

“Nope, why?”

 

She grins. “Check your mail. Oh and I think two other people would benefit from a laugh.”

 

I have to send it to Sue! I can't believe she hit Ruth but ooh did she get hit back.

 

They’re making their way back. Gus is on Brian’s shoulders. Hunter has one dog and Justin the other. “What food we got, I’m starving!” Hunter flops down.

 

“They are gorgeous, which is which?” I have to take yet another picture of Gus with them.

 

“Frack is with Gus, Frick is about to plop on Ben.” Brian tells me. “Gus, don't feed the dogs human food, okay?”

 

“Yes daddy.”

 

“Coooeee!” A familiar voice calls out.

 

“Auntie Emmy!” Gus calls back waving.

 

“They are never going to believe this is a coincidence.” I sigh.

 

“Well isn't this nice?! Some of my favourite people all in one place and with food and wine...there’s wine, right?”

 

“Of course, there’s wine.” Ruth looks aghast he would think otherwise. “And beer.”

 

“Where's everyone else?” He asks.

 

“It’s our weekend but Gus wanted his momma to join us.” Justin explains before making sure he’s not listening. “But not anyone else.” He adds quietly.

 

“Ah I see, ixnay on mentioning it to them. Which reminds me how was the date?”

 

“Who had a date?!” Justin exclaims.

 

“Whoopsie!” Emmy blushes.

 

“Before you throw me under the bus…” Ben looks at Hunter, who had an odd expression on his face. “...we both did and they went well.”

 

We just look at them. “You gotta give us more than that!” I demand.

 

“That's all you're getting!” Hunter retorts, going pink.

 

“Is there going to be a second date?” Justin asks.

 

“Britin, let’s talk about that instead.” Hunter tries again.

 

“Answer the question and then we talk Britin.” Brian drawls.

 

“Yes to second date, dad your turn!”

 

“Yes.” Ben goes bright red but he has a sappy look on his face.

 

“So did you phone Lucas?” Ruth asks, earning a pout from Emmy. “What?”

 

“Not called me back.” He sighs.

 

“He will. He asked me for your number but didn’t want to do that…”

 

“Hold up, who’s Lucas?” Ben asks.

 

“The fireman who hosed Lindsay down.” She looks across at Gus, who looks too engrossed with Frick and Frack.

 

“Hosed?” Hunter repeats.

 

“Watch it at home!” She orders laughing.

 

The rest of the day passes with lots of laughs, ice creams and Gus is even happier because Frick and Frack are going to sleep in the same room as him.

 

SUNDAY EVENING

 

MEL’S HOUSE

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

They’re late. I roll my eyes at Michael and look pointedly at my watch. He just shakes his head. Finally, there’s beeping and Mel opens the door and waits.

 

“Gus! You need to take this with you!” I hear Ben’s voice and look at Michael, who looks annoyed.

 

“What is Ben doing here? Didn’t he see JR yesterday?” I smirk as I call out to her.

 

“He’s not here in the sense you mean.” Mel calls back. “He’s dropping Emmy home.”

 

“Hi mommy!” Gus calls out from Brian’s arms. He is looking a little brown.

 

“Did you have a good time with your daddy?” I ask and wait for Justin’s reaction.

 

“Mommy.” Gus sighs. “They are my daddies. I have a daddy and a daddy Justin, just like I have you, my mommy and momma.”

 

Justin snickers and heads to the stairs. “Where are you going Justin?” Michael calls out. “Don’t wake JR, she’s just gone to sleep!”

 

Right on cue, she starts crying and they all turn to look at Michael, who still glares at Justin.

 

“You might as well take up Gus’s case since you’ve got to soothe JR back to sleep.” Justin smiles sweetly and puts the case at Michael’s feet. “She’s getting louder.” Justin prompts.

 

He snatches the case up and heads upstairs. Ten minutes later, silence reigns and he comes down. “She had a nasty nappy.” He cringes.

 

“Gus, you are looking very brown. Where did you go?” Brian huffs a breath. “What did I say now?”

 

“Why don’t you show them the pictures, Sonny Boy?” Gus grabs his bag and takes out a camera. “Now remember to…”

 

“Where did you get that from Lambskin?”

 

“Auntie Emmy leant it to me. I have to give it back to him once daddy Justin has done the pictures.”

 

“When did you see Auntie Emmy?” Michael’s voice has an edge.

 

“Yesterday.  At the park we went to the first time...daddy, can you help me with this please?”

 

“What can’t you do, Sonny Boy?”

 

“The movie thing.” Gus hands him the camera.

 

“Oh I see. One minute. Why don’t you let mommy give you a bath and…”

 

“You didn’t bathe him, Justin?” Michael snipes.

 

“No. Because he wanted his mommy to do it after we told him she would be here. Problem?”

 

“Come on Lambskin, let’s go.” I pick him up and head to the stairs and wait for them to say something but they are concentrating on the TV.

 

Ten minutes later, we’re back downstairs. “I gave him a shower instead.” I explain our sudden return.

 

“Oh mommy, it was great! Just watch, you’ll see. This is how you play at a park!”

 

Michael and I seethe as we watch Brian, Justin, Ben, Hunter, Ems, Mel and Ruth play in the park. JR has an ice cream but ended up wearing most of it so Justin took her to the shower unit and rinsed her off and instead of screaming the place down, she giggled and wriggled. Then there was Sunday, thankfully no Ruth, but suddenly they had acquired dogs and were in a beautiful condo.

 

“Mommy. We had bubbledogs...”

 

“Bubbledogs?” Michael asks.

 

“Deep fried hotdogs, they were so good.” Justin sighs and looks at Brian, who just shakes his head. “We’ll work it off, starting on the way home…”

 

“So how did you all end up together?” I ask, looking around at them.

 

“I asked momma, Uncle Ben and Hunner to come so JR had to come too.” Gus explains to me.

 

“But why didn’t you ask us to come?” I wince internally at the glare I get from Brian.

 

Gus looks at Brian who nods. “You sat down all the time and I wanted to play. I knew that Uncle Ben would play with me…” He trails off.

 

“I would’ve played with you Gus, if you…” Michael interjects but is cut off because Gus wasn’t finished.

 

“You shouted at Uncle Ben and I didn’t want you to do that again.” Gus interrupts quietly. “I like playing with Uncle Ben and when you took me back to the mat, we just sat there…”

 

“I didn’t shout at him…”

 

“Michael.” Mel warns.

 

“So everyone meeting was your idea Lambskin?” I sip my wine and Justin just shakes his head.

 

“No…”

 

“So whose was it?” Michael asks.

 

“Let him finish what he’s saying Michael.” Mel orders.

 

The door knocks and she goes to answer it and it’s Ben.

 

“Sorry, I’m so late; had to help Emmy.”

 

“You were saying, Sonny Boy...”

 

“Not Aunty Emmy, I didn’t invite him. But I’m glad he was there as he did the bubbledogs on Sunday.”

 

“Okay, I see. Well next time you’re with daddies, can you invite us too?” I smile at him.

 

Every time?” He frowns. “But I want to spend time with my daddies by myself. It was just this weekend...”

 

“Of course you don’t have to invite anybody else when you’re with your daddies unless you want to.” Mel reassures him and then looks at her watch. “Okay Gus, you need to go to bed sweetheart. So say goodnight, who do you want to read to you?”

 

“I’ll do it.” Michael volunteers.

 

“Daddy Justin is reading the story to me from yesterday.” Gus tugs on Justin’s hand. “We’ve only got a few more pages. You can read to me next time.”

 

When Justin comes back down, he closes the lounge door.

 

“Why is Ben here?” I ask as politely as I can.

 

“Before we get to Ben’s presence, I want to clarify something Lindsay.” Justin pours himself a glass of wine. “We spoke to Gus over the weekend and he told us it wasn’t at school that he got punished after he apologised. It was here.” Mel whips her head around. “Never ever lie to us about how you treat Gus again. Never!”

 

“Who the hell do you think you are?” I hiss at him.

 

“Gus’s stepfather. And you’re his mother, act like it! Not like he’s some bargaining chip you can use to get your own fucking way!” He hisses back.

 

“As for Ben.” Mel is glowering at me and I shift slightly. “He is here because he’s paying support for JR and therefore he gets a say and...let me finish...there will be times when he will be looking after Gus at the same time and he needs to know how we, as the parents, handle Gus when he misbehaves.”

 

“One of you could’ve phoned him and told him.” Michael declares. “Or you could’ve told him yesterday or earlier, since he was with you!”

 

“Do the world a favour and grow up Michael. Your bullyboy pouting tactics aren’t working anymore. And the reason we didn’t discuss this yesterday was because you both weren’t there.”

 

“And whose fault was that?!” Is out of my mouth before I can stop myself.

 

“Nobody’s.” Brian replies. “It was our weekend with Gus and he wanted to spend it with the people he wanted to spend it with. Now let’s move on from this. When Gus misbehaves, he’s given a warning and then if he still misbehaves, it’s time out or toy withdrawal.”

 

“Okay got it.”

 

“So you’re not needed for the rest of this discussion.” Michael sniffs dismissively. “You can go.”

 

“My house, my guest and if anyone is to leave, it will be you! Michael, Ben’s right, you need to be a grown up now…”

 

“Why is everyone picking on me?! Ben kicks me out of my home, steals from me and is trying to take my daughter away from me!”

 

“Dangerously close to slander, Michael.” Mel warns coldly. “None of that is true and you know it. I can easily find a lawyer to represent Ben and he will take every penny you’ve been given and I know damn full well that the first person to benefit from it would be…”

 

“Hunter of course!”

 

“No Michael, JR. He would put in her bank account, like he has been doing every month. And speaking support. It is due at the end of the month. I hope there won’t be a problem.”

 

“No...oh for God sake, must you do that now?!” I bridle as Justin licks Brian’s ear, causing him to squirm.

 

“Don’t like it, don’t watch.” He replies. “You’re the only one commenting on it. We’ve always been like this and you help more than you know.”

 

“Anyway.” I smile at Justin but he doesn’t smile back. Ha, I can’t wait to tell him this. “Yes, we can both pay support and we’re also moving out of my parents and into an apartment two blocks away from the loft.”

 

They don’t react the way we expected them to.

 

“Look like today’s the day for moving news. We’re renting out the loft and are moving to a friend’s place while Justin works on Britin with Hunter and the architect.”

 

“You can’t sell the loft…” Michael gasps.

 

“Not selling, they’re renting it out.” Ben corrects him.

 

“Where are you moving to?” I demand shakily.

 

“Like we said a friend’s house.”

 

“We told you where we were moving to.”

 

“Your choice. Our choice is not to tell you things you don’t need to know. The person that needs to know is Mel and she does.”

 

“When is this happening?” Michael looks furious. “And whose idea was it?”

 

“Again, none of your business.” Justin replies and looks at his phone. “Gary’s here.”

 

“No Ruth?” I snipe.

 

“Is it just me or can anyone else smell bacon?” Justin looks around with a frown. “And foam? Definitely foam? You know the kind of foam that only comes from a fire truck.”

 

“Home twat!” Brian pulls him to his feet and drags him out.

 

Mel and Ben both reach for their glasses with smiles and I know that they know what happened in the diner and cringe.

 

INSIDE THE CAR

 

BRIAN

 

As I ravage his mouth, I start on his pants. “You were naughty in there.” I whisper against his lips and his eyes dance. “And naughty boys need to be punished.”

 

“They do?” He murmurs.

 

“Uh huh. Now turn over.”  He does so and I stroke his globes. “So naughty.”

 

“Don’t hurt me too bad…” He wiggles his ass up and gives a little gasp as my hand connects.

 

“No moving.” I order and spank him again, this time he squeals and looks over his shoulder at me, his eyes telling me what he wants. “Fuck now, spank later?” I growl.

 

“Yes please!” He grins.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you