- Text Size +

CHAPTER 27 - BLOWING THE WIND OUT OF THEIR SAILS

 

BRIAN & JUSTIN’S SPA ROOM - MONDAY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

When we all got back to Heavenly, we were shattered. I don’t actually know how we got indoors last night because when I woke up, we were in the wedding suite and I just went back to sleep. But now we are in the spa after a light breakfast.

 

“Okay so here’s what we’re going to do.” Mary the facialist tells me. “I have analysed his skin and these are the perfect ones for him. Now apply a thin layer and put the pads on his eyes, that’s perfect. Now let it take for 10 minutes. Mr Taylor-Kinney, can you lift your head for a minute? Now place the hot towel just there, is that too warm?”

 

“No.” Brian sighs.

 

“Right now, what you need to do is an Indian Head Massage...let me show you how you do it.” Ten minutes later, Brian’s breathing slows and that pinched frown in the middle of his forehead is gone as is the tension in his jaw. He’s asleep, I mean properly asleep. “Do you want to sort out that little wheeze of his? It might need a bit of a drain. It will build up again but if you can live without it for a couple of weeks…”

 

“Is there a way we can drain it without…”

 

“Of course, what you do is this.” She smiles at me and shows me how to apply pressure to his nose and the wheeze is still there but not as loud.

 

“What happens to the…”

 

“Goes to his stomach and that’s all you want to know.” She laughs.

 

Ten minutes later, he is still sleeping. “Looks like he needs that sleep.” Mary whispers as she comes back in and I nod. “We can take it off now.” She quietly shows me how to do it and then apply the oils, his skin looks and feels great. The queen in him will be delighted!

 

“We’re going to have to wake him up since I have another appointment.” She smiles after another 30 minutes, during which I have done a nice outline of him.

 

It takes a good ten minutes of cajoling but finally he opens his eyes, which are clear and sparkling. As he swings his legs off the bed, he catches sight of himself in the mirror. “Christ!” He exclaims, peering closely. “I look hot!” I just shake my head. “No seriously, I haven't had skin like this in…”

 

“Come on Mr Modest, let’s leave her to do her thing!” I order and drag him, still protesting, back to the suite.

 

BRIAN

 

I bring the mirror closer to the window and really look at my face. “What did I have done?!” I scan the brochure trying to see anything with Indian Head Massage on it. He just smiles at me and continues to put things away. “Justin!” I whine.

 

“I’m not telling you...” He smiles.

 

“Fine, be like that! When I’m all saggy faced and...oh, I can ask the facialist and then get the products...what?” I trail off as he blithely packs and giggles. I approach carefully and see a box. “What’s that?”

 

“Your anti-saggy face kit.” He replies smoothly and immediately, I pounce and settle on the bed. “Which, if you want me to give you a facial once a week along with hot towel and Indian Head Massage, you will wait until we get home to open.”

 

I give it back with a grin and he snickers as I do my happy dance!

 

MICHAEL & LINDSAY’S APARTMENT

 

LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

I look at the time and then rub my feet. They are still throbbing! We finally got home about two this morning. I reach for the phone and its mother.

 

“Oh, are you serious?!” I cry and lie back. “So when is it again? Thanks mother. I look forward to telling her!” When I put the phone down, I think to myself...take that Ruth!

 

“Morning, do your feet hurt as much as mine?” Michael grumbles as he almost hobbles in.

 

“Yes, but that is nothing compared to how hurt Ruth is going to be. Her ex is getting married in Pittsburgh in three weeks!”

 

“Great and even better, the money from the collectibles has come in.” He smiles tiredly. “I don’t think I’ve walked so much in one day and when Gum...JR walked, it was…”

 

“Unfair that she wasn’t walking to you?” I ask quietly, remembering how I felt when Gus walked.

 

“Yeah.” He sighs.

 

“There will be other firsts that will only belong to you.” I pat his arm reassuringly.

 

“I hope so.” He replies.

 

CARNEGIE MELLON HR DEPARTMENT - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

MILLICENT, HR MANAGER

 

I am looking through resumes for the teaching position and the one from Lindsay Peterson catches my attention. She’s not someone that I would think of as a teacher. I’ve met her at art showings and she’s has a haughtiness about her that is just off putting. But her credentials are good so with a bit of reluctance, I put her on the interview pile.

 

DEBS & CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

DINING ROOM

 

DEBS

 

Brian is looking really well. Whatever happened over the weekend has completely agreed with him. Lindsay is also looking pleased with herself.

 

“Where’s Ruth? Is she not joining us? I mean since she’s part of the family and all...” Michael asks and I know that tone now. He has something to say in a smug and nasty way.

 

“She’s just parking.” Justin replies. “Gus, you need me to help with the cutting up of your food?”

 

“Yes please. But not too small, the same size as you and daddy.”

 

“Maybe a bit smaller Sonny Boy, you’ve got a smaller mouth.”

 

“Okay daddy.”

 

“So how was the drive back?” Carl asks.

 

“Restful...there you go Gus. I got to drive part of the way. Never driven one before.”

 

“An RV is pretty much like driving a truck, isn’t it? So, not that hard.” Michael asks again with that tone.

 

“No, it’s completely different. Especially that RV…” Ruth interrupts as she comes in. “Bought dessert. And some treats for you.”

 

“Thank you honey!” I’m not sure what to take first so settle on the treats and Ruth hands the dessert box to Carl. “What is it?”

 

Carl sighs. “Baklava. Why? I thought you liked us!”

 

Ruth laughs and kisses Carl on his head and me on my cheek. “I do, that’s what the treats are for so you can work that off and…”

 

“Oh gross!” Michael exclaims.

 

There is eye rolling at that but nothing else. Then dinner is finished and we head to the lounge.

 

“I think a little man needs a big bath.” Carl announces and Mel nods.

 

“So what’s so special about the baklava?” Michael asks, carrying it in.

 

“You’ll never know.” I retort and take it off him, handing it to Ems. He heads to the kitchen with it. “Unless you buy some yourself.”

 

“Available from all leading supermarkets.” Ruth giggles and then Hunter comes in with Gummy.

 

“She’s barely holding on. Think she needs a bath before her wuffy-flufflies.”

 

Wuffy-fluffies?” Michael repeats in disdain.

 

“Oh God, they are adorable!” Justin exclaims. “And…”

 

“Justin!” Mel huffs and takes the box off of him.

 

“Come on open it!” He demands.

 

She pulls out one after another of the most adorable onesies and PJs each with a hood in the softest looking material I’ve ever seen. All the hoods have different ears. “You are spoiling them!” She chides and I manage to stroke the material then wonder if they do them in an adult size.

 

“They do, I’ve checked.” Ems whispers. “Can’t wait to wear mine, shall I order one each?”

 

“Please. Bear for him and Bunny for me.” I whisper back and Carl just shakes his head.

 

“Do you have a set, Justin?” Lindsay asks sarcastically.

 

“He does though his undo at the back, you know, for easy access.” Brian replies smoothly.

 

“We found them in New York on Saturday…”

 

“I almost had to carry him out in the end.” Ben laughs. “There was about six pieces each for G&G but then about forty pieces for Justin, which of course are presents.”

 

“They are! I just happen to like treating myself! And besides Brian only snuggles in cashmere.” He laughs at the look that Brian gives him but then we all catch the second yawn from Gus.

 

“Lindsay, Michael why not give G&G a bath and read them a story? I can prepare their night drink.” Mel suggests, heading to the kitchen.

 

BATHROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

“Wuffy-fluffies!” Lindsay scoffs as she bathes JR. “How juvenile.”

 

Brian only snuggles in cashmere. I mean please! And what’s this G&G stuff? Her name is JR and it’s time that was reinstated!” I sigh heavily as I have to go and get Gus, who is making his way out of the bathroom...naked. “Gus, you need to get into your PJs and then go downstairs!” I order.

 

“I know, Uncle Michael. I was just going to make sure that momma has put Gulliver in for Gummy.”

 

“He’s in there Gus, now go and put your PJs on!” Mel shouts up.

 

“Yes momma!” Gus calls back and head straight back to the spare room where he has a set of those PJs.

 

LOUNGE

 

“Thank you Mel.” I smile and take the bottle to feed JR. “Is this something that you need to send me a recipe for before our time with Gus and JR next weekend? And which one of you are staying so we can make up the appropriate bedding?”

 

“I am.” Mel replies. “Ben is otherwise engaged.” There are knowing smiles.

 

“It’s so good that JR is so young. So she doesn’t have to try to remember the name of your latest conquest.” I tell him and the room goes quiet...whoops oh dear! Lindsay smirks at me and I smirk back.

 

“And it’s so good that Gummy is so young that she doesn’t know that most people also call her dad an alley cat.” Hunter replies tartly.

 

“Nicely done!” Blake snickers and I glare at him. “What? You started it. Never dish out something you can’t take.”

 

“She’s done and this close to out. So I think you should take her up.” Mel kisses the top of JR’s head and I make quick work of taking her upstairs and coming back down.

 

“Lindsay, I understand that congratulations are in order.” Ben announces.

 

“Par…”

 

“You’re on the shortlist for the art teacher’s job at Carnegie.” Ben grins.

 

“How did…” She begins.

 

“I know Millicent and she told me.” He replies.

 

“It wasn’t your news to tell!” She snaps heatedly.

 

“Well at least, unlike Justin, you knew about it! Unlike him, you know before the announcement you made on his behalf.” Ben retorts.

 

“Smackdown number 2.” Blake buries his head in Ted’s shoulder whilst Ruth smiles.

 

“So Ruth, how is AngelCars and Heavenly Retreats going?” Lindsay asks and I can’t wait for the expression on her face.

 

“Both are going great. We’ve got a massive wedding in a few weeks in Pittsburgh.” She replies and I frown. “My ex and his ex are getting remarried…”

 

“Wow that must be so upsetting for you, especially since it will be in your little establishment.” Lindsay smirks.

 

“Not really. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest.”

 

“Why not?” I demand.

 

“You are being so brave…” Lindsay faux-soothes.

 

“Again, not being brave; I’m simply not bothered. He’s a coward but he got me this. Besides, him paying me $50K to make the same mistake twice... well, that buys me a whole lot of happy.”

 

“Fifty thousand?” I echo.

 

“Yep. It’s a shame really…”

 

“Because?”

 

“It would’ve been cheaper for them to stay in New York like they were going to in the first place. But hey, it’s his money to waste.” Everyone turns to look at Ruth. She smiles and shakes her head. “She called up and wanted to make a point. At the end of the day, money is money.”

 

“Oh.” Lindsay replies, looking at me.

 

“And she lost her deposit too.” Ruth laughs. “She cancelled within a month, only for him to book with me again. I feel sorry for Paul as he’s going to be handling that…”

 

“Aren’t you going to be there?” Lindsay asks. “As the owner of the business and that amount of money…”

 

“No. We’re going to be in New Orleans. It’s our mom’s birthday.”

 

“New Orleans! Oh, I have always wanted to go there.” Justin sighs. “The food is supposed to be legendary.”

 

“Why not come with? Mom would love to see you! She’d want to meet the man that has made her other son so hella happy!”

 

“Oh please Brian, please!” Justin begs.

 

“Isn’t that your weekend with Gus?” I point out.

 

“Yeah.” Brian sighs and Justin’s face drops. I keep the smile threatening to burst forth inside. But just barely, until... “Looks like we’re going to be in New Orleans.”

 

“Yes! Thank you!” Justin gets into his lap and kisses him all over his face while I try not to bring back dinner.

 

“And judging by that reaction, it’s time for you two to get home!” Ruth laughs and gets up.

 

“Night all!” Brian calls out and with him still in his arms, stands and carries Justin out.

 

Ruth opens the front door to let them out then follows them laughing, shouting that they are not to fuck in the car.

 

When we hear the engine start, Mel looks out the window.

 

“Now that didn’t work out as well as you hoped, did it?” She shakes her head. “Ben, can you help me G&G. We need to get home.”

 

As they head upstairs, Blake turns to us. “What fresh misery did you think to try and inflict this time?!”

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks