- Text Size +

CHAPTER 28 - N’AWLINS AND GETTING BIT BACK

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - FRIDAY EVENING, THREE WEEKS LATER

 

GUS

 

I was a bit sad that we couldn’t go in the big coach like last time but daddy said it wasn’t fair on Ruth as she would be driving. So this time, we are flying. I like Greg. He’s like me, he spoils Frick and Frack behind Ruth’s back but even better they are here!

 

“So you’re going to take good care of them?” I ask the carrier guy again. “Don’t give them meatballs though or they make stinkies.”

 

“I won’t I promise.” He smiles at me and then takes them away, Daddy Justin and I head back to join daddy.

 

“Where’s Ruthie and Greg?” I ask and daddy points behind me and they are coming back with food.

 

“Salad for you before you start to grump.” Ruthie hands it over to daddy and the rest of us tuck into burgers and fries, though I notice he takes some fries from daddy Justin and they both smile.

 

“So Gus…” Greg wipes his mouth. “How was your weekend with your mommy and uncle?”

 

I keep chewing...and they keep waiting.

 

“Gus, you can’t chew that anymore.” Ruthie says in a soft voice. “Swallow and speak.”

 

I sigh. “I, I mean we went out and stuff but we were in shops for ages and just sitting waiting…”

 

“You’ve done the same with us.” Daddy Justin tells me and I nod. “What’s different?”

 

“Momma wasn’t there. She was doing her reading and writing. Gulliver wasn’t there because he got pooped on and needed washing. I didn’t have my books to read. The comic book place was so boring and we were there for so long. And then the clothes shopping…” I’m starting to get cross. “We didn’t do one thing that me or Gummy wanted to do, so I’m glad we came home early!” I cross my arms and glare at the floor.

 

“Gus, did you ask them to do what you wanted to do?” Greg asks.

 

“No. But why don’t they know to do it like you guys do?” I ask, looking at them. “She’s my mommy, she’s supposed to...to...to…”

 

“Okay, walk time, with me.” Ruthie gets up and takes my hand and some napkins.

 

LADIES BATHROOM, FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

“Okay, Gus, I’m going to tell you something.” Ruthie puts me on the counter and there’s another woman there and she looks at her with a kind face. “When I was little and was upset about something I would talk to someone that wouldn’t judge or shout or get upset. For me, that was Ms Rice, God rest her soul. Now do you think you could tell me what’s got you so upset truly?”

 

Another lady in a uniform comes in and then when she comes out, she takes her time washing her hands.

 

“Daddy will be cross.” I whisper.

 

“Oh honey chile, your daddy will only want to help you stop being upset and he can’t do that if you don’t tell someone.” The lady with the kind face tells me.

 

“Her name is Gummy!” I state firmly. “I like that we’re G&G and he keeps telling me not to say that! And mommy keeps giving momma the stink eye. And then when they are talking, they go quiet when I come in and that always means they are talking about someone so if they stop it has to be me!” I wail.

 

“Is he travelling with his father?”  Uniform lady asks Ruthie nods but she looks like she’s really hot. “Name of the father?”

 

“Fathers. Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney.” Ruthie is trying to clean my face but kind-faced lady moves her away and does it for her.

 

“Thank you.” Uniform lady says and then goes outside, and soon my daddies come flying through the door.

 

“Gus?!” Daddy asks, picking me up and kind-face lady and uniform lady tell daddy Justin what I said and they look really cross...I knew they’d be cross!

 

“Your flight is about to board, are you checked in?” Uniform lady asks daddy and he nods. “Come with me, is this the entire party?”

 

“No, let me go get my brother. I need to run off some steam anyway.” Ruthie still sounds funny as she goes to get Greg.

 

“Daddy?” I mumble into his neck as we follow uniform lady. “Are you cross?”

 

“Not with you no. Now come on, forget all about the last weekend and let’s have a great time this weekend.”

 

“Hey Patrice, this them?” A very big man asks. He looks like a bald snowman.

 

“Yeah, but we’ve got two...oh, here they are.”

 

“Okay, you two in front! Anybody grumbling will go to the back of that line over there!”

 

“Thank you. You didn’t need…” Ruthie begins but then clams up when snowman-man looks at her.

 

When we get on the plane, I’m sitting between my daddies and Greg and Ruthie are behind us.

 

“Gus, do you know what a promise is?” Daddy Justin asks.

 

“Yes. It’s when you say you will do something and keep your word, right?”

 

“Exactly.” My daddies take my hands. “I want you to promise to tell me and daddy anytime you are upset about something whether it is about you or Gummy, okay?”

 

“And you won’t be cross?”

 

“No we won’t.”

 

“I promise.” I get a kiss on both cheeks for that.

 

MEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME

 

LOUNGE

 

MARIE

 

“Jesus, Mel why didn’t you say something?!” I moderate my voice so as not to wake the children.

 

“I’m surprised she didn’t.” Mel sighs, taking another sip.

 

“Of course, she won’t.” I scoff. “Failure is not an option in the Peterson Pantheon!” She looks at me in surprise. “And you are a failure to her...calm yourself. You’ve done the one thing she never thought you would do, called her on her bullshit. As much as I loved Dusty, her unstinting defence of her got very wearing.”

 

She is just staring at me. “Unstinting?”

 

“Yes, now let’s talk about something more pleasant. So the recipe for the popsicles, where are they from?”

 

“Oh them, aren’t they gorgeous?!” She giggles, before getting up. “I’ve got some peach…”

 

“Get them immediately!” I order, following her into the kitchen.

 

“Seriously, they are so good.” I sigh ten minutes later as I scrape the bowl clean.

 

“Hunner...I mean Hunter makes them for her and…”

 

“Who’s Hunter?” I ask, looking hopefully at the freezer.

 

“Ben’s and Michael’s...well let’s face it, Ben’s son. So her big brother, who she adores. But we must be good, the rest are for her until he comes back with another haul. She can tell when he’s made them...” She shuts the freezer very slowly…. “But she’s not going to miss just one more…”

 

I can’t help but agree!

 

GILDA, RUTH & GREG’S MOTHER’S HOUSE - SATURDAY MORNING

 

GUS’S BEDROOM

 

GUS

 

This is the fluffiest softest bed ever! I open my eyes and at first I’m a bit confused then I remember where we are. The curtains are open and it’s so sunny out. Someone is knocking at my door and I shout that they can come in.

 

“Hello Gus, my name is Gilda. Do you remember me from last night?” I nod. “Good, now let’s get your teeth brushed and we can have breakfast. Hop to it you two!”  Frick and Frack get off the bed and trot downstairs and Gilda takes me to the bathroom. She helps me brush my teeth and then takes me downstairs where my daddies and Greg are.

 

“Where’s Ruthie?” I ask, looking round.

 

“Still asleep, she’ll soon come.” Gilda tells me. “Now I want you to stand here on this stool and watch what I do. And no, I won’t be having special food requests. Eat what you’re given or starve you hear!”

 

“Yes Mama G.” Daddy says.

 

“Now Gus, this used to be one of your daddy’s favourite breakfasts and…”

 

“Wait a second...can I watch too?” Daddy Justin asks and she nods.

 

When she finishes cooking, I can’t believe that daddy ever ate that! Two waffles, bacon, an egg, sausage and some things I don’t recognise. “What’s that?” I point at them.

 

“Fried green apple fritters.” She replies and smiles. “But he had to clear his plate before he got them and that still applies now.”

 

Ruthie comes down and kisses her mom and then smiles. “The Big K. Can’t believe you remember that.”

 

We sit round the big table and I just watch daddy clear, actually clear, his plate. “Give me a few minutes and then I will start on the frit…” He stops talking as daddy Justin starts on his fritters. “Justin...that’s a bad idea.”

 

“Like my pancakes.” Daddy Justin grins at him and daddy grins back.

 

“Yeah but you won’t be able to sit for two reasons.” Daddy Justin puts the fritter back.

 

“Now up you boys get and showered. We’ve got ground to cover!” Mama G tells us. “You going to be good here?” She looks at Ruthie and she nods...what’s going on?

 

BOURBON STREET - TWO HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

Gus is almost breaking his neck, looking around and we’ve got him a camera so he can take the pictures...mostly without his fingers in the way of the lens.

 

“Daddies! Lookit the...the...lookit!” He’s so excited.

 

“Mama G, what’s happening food wise?” Justin asks, trying to feed Frick and Frack with a sausage each with one hand and eat his with the other.

 

“Ruth is cooking. Said something about first, second and third courses...I don’t do fancy but sometimes she does.”

 

Four hours later, Gus has run out of space in his camera, had to be restrained from eating his body weight in candyfloss and gumbo and has bought enough presents for everyone twice over. We had to put the candy dummy back after explaining that just because it was red it didn’t make it beetroot flavoured. Gummy is the only baby I know that likes beetroot...we still laugh at the scream that Michael let out when he first saw that nappy!

 

GILDA’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

JUSTIN

 

The first thing that hit us when we got home was the smell... lemons and bergamot from the candles dotted around the garden. “Showers people. Dinner in 60.” Ruth tells us with a smile.

 

“Need me baby?” Mama G asks.

 

“Always.” She replies and leads her into the kitchen.

 

An hour later, we’re in the garden and I have to admit that Garden District is heaven to live in away from the hecticness of Bourbon Street. For the first time that I’ve seen, Gus is writing in his special book at the kitchen table.

 

“If you need help with words let us know, okay?” I call out.

 

“Yes daddy Justin...how do you spell that mag word for great?” Although every part of me wants to go over and tell him I know, I have to let Brian do this and when I explain to Ruth and Mama G, everyone is happy to wait for him to do his first diary with us.

 

“I’m finished, can we eat now?”

 

“Absolutely!” Mama G comes out with a tray. “Now according to Gordina Ramsey over there, this is vegetable frittata with fried shrimp on the side.”

 

I finish mine in record time. But any attempts to get hold of a piece of his are continually blocked. “Daddy Justin, do you want some of mine?” Gus offers me his plate but Brian cuts his in half and gives it to me muttering twat.

 

“So you’re going to tell him how to cook this, right?” Brian asks, “I don’t think I would mind this on a Sunday, you know once a week.” I can’t help the grin I break into.

 

Greg helps Ruth with the second course, some fried chicken. I can feel Brian tense up, most likely imaging the calories clogging his arteries. It’s served with a butternut squash and roasted corn salad but the chicken...oh god the chicken! There isn’t a drop, not a drop, of grease on it. It is so good that cutlery is abandoned and we dig in with relish, and yes, I mean we! Gus is copying Brian, who started the abandonment.

 

“Oh Christ.” Brian sighs and leans back in his chair, then grins at me. “I’m looking forward to working this off…”

 

“How daddy?”

 

“Jogging.” Greg replies. “We’re going to go jogging tomorrow.

 

“Can we take Frick and Frack with us?”

 

“Yes we can.” I reply but then watch the interaction between Mama G and Ruth...something is wrong. I look at Brian and he goes to the kitchen. Minutes later, he’s back with a pinched expression and Ruth’s phone.

 

“Later.” Is all he says and I nod. But I can’t believe what has just come out of the kitchen... “What the hell are you trying to do me?” He mutters as Mama G puts down a chocolate cake.

 

“Chocolate mousse cake with honeycomb and caramelised pistachios and almonds.” She smiles and starts to plate up. “It’s very rich so small slices only...but Ruth said you can take the rest of it home.”

 

“Either one or the other we are not having…” Brian finishes his bite. “I hate you.” He growls and then takes another bite.

 

HEAVENLY RETREATS, PITTSBURGH

 

WEDDING RECEPTION OF THE EX

 

NANCY

 

I’m not au fait with technology but having been uploading to FaceBook as Lindsay asked, I’m still not quite sure how this pays this Ruth person back. However, I was surprised to receive an invite to their reception. Ronald didn’t want to come so Lindsay is here with Michael and they are...well to be honest, I don’t know what they are. Yes, she’s celebrating getting the job at the university but I don’t understand what it is that he does. From what I can glean, he is living off of money from his toys.

 

“Mother!” Lynette coos. “Isn’t this place wonderful? I think I might hold my wedding here.”

 

I cough into my drink. “Wedding?” I croak.

 

“Yes, he’s not asked yet but I can feel it. He’s the one.”

 

“The 4th one.” I mutter to myself.

 

“Pardon?” Lynette leans in. “Oh never mind. But now that Lindsay has pissed off the owner, getting this place might take your powers of persuasion.”

 

I tuck my arm into her elbow and lead her to the balcony. “Explain!” I demand in the voice she understands. By the time she finished telling me, I’ve got the measure of the situation. And I’m...not happy!

 

“Mother!” Lindsay trills, making her way over. “Have you posted the pictures like I asked?”

 

“Yes, but that call to your father used up the last of my battery. Now I’m going home, you enjoy your evening.” I smile as her face falls. “Happy posting!” I trill and head outside.

 

GILDA’S HOUSE - LATE EVENING

 

BRIAN & JUSTIN’S BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

I suck the chocolate mousse cake off the spoon and sigh. “Lindsay had her mother post pictures of Ruth’s ex on the Heavenly Retreats page, knowing that Ruth would look at them.” He scoops another piece of the cake and holds it against my lips. “It will be another mile if I eat that.” I grumble.

 

“I’ll jog in front of you…” He waves it under my nose and I open my mouth and again clean the spoon.

 

“What are we going to do?” I look at him and remember the time we were on the chaise at the loft when he fed me ice cream.

 

“Memories?” He asks and I nod. “Me too. But as for Lindsay and Michael, G&G wise I think we should, bear with me, set up a pack and a list for them. They don’t want to behave like adults then let’s not treat them like adults. It’s basic common sense! But for Ruth, like the oil pan, let her handle it.”

 

“It’s how she handles it that worries me.” I sigh. “She’s hurting over this and when she’s hurting she’s like I used to be. She’ll lash out and to hell with whoever is in the blast zone.”

 

“Then we need to distract her, give her something to focus on.” He takes some cake in his mouth and then leans down. Five minutes later, we are both looking a little dazed. “Nobody but us.” I tell him and he nods. “And in summer as an ice cake because I…”

 

The rest of the sentence disappears into the ether as my suddenly chocolate covered cock disappears into Justin’s mouth.

 

HEAVENLY RETREATS - MONDAY AFTERNOON

 

PAUL

 

I am absolutely fuming! She’s been hanging around waiting for Ruth and here she comes.

 

“D’Andrea. I hope everything went well over the weekend.” Ruth smiles with everything she’s got.

 

“Oh it was almost perfect. We missed you.” D’Andrea smarms and I want to smack her.

 

“I doubt it.” I mutter.

 

“I made some wonderful friends, who you may know. Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny, such a lovely couple…”

 

“Oh yes, just lovely. But I…”

 

“D’Andrea, can we go now? We’ve got to go to…” Hanno starts and then looks behind her in surprise. “Arno! You realise you’re a day late?!”

 

“How so? She wasn’t here so what was the point of being here when she wasn’t?”

 

Who wasn’t here?” Hanno demands.

 

“Hi Ruth.” Whoever Arno is turns to her and before she can say anything, kisses her deeply.

 

“Arno, what the fuck do you think you are doing?!” Hanno shouts.

 

“What the fuck is he doing?!” D’Andrea screams. “And why the fuck do you care?!”

 

“Mr and Mr Koslov, could you stop making a scene and take your leave of this establishment!” I order and try not to grin at the fact Ruth is just touching her lips and staring at Arno.

 

Two men and a blonde woman come in smiling. “As distractions go, that is excellent Cyn!” The blonde man says. “You must be Paul? I’m Justin and this is my husband Brian. We’re getting blessed in the chapel in a couple of months. I take it you are done with these people?”

 

“Absolutely.” I reply but don't quite know what to do next.

 

Justin clears his throat and starts to lead them out. “I heard you mention your new friends, Lindsay and Michael just now Mrs Koslov. I do hope they explained why you had to pay twice for your wedding. You know, after they got you to move from New York…”

 

“What are you talking about?” D’Andrea is all about the money now.

 

“Well, it was them that helped persuade your now husband to book here, costing you your initial deposit when you booked in New York.”

 

“Was it indeed?!” She snaps. “Hanno come on, we have to make a quick stop off before we go to the airport.”

 

“You kissed me.” Ruth murmurs, having finally regained the power of speech.

 

“Nice of you to catch up.” Arno smiles shyly.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I can and I would like to do it again.”

 

“No Arno, why?”

 

“Because your friends told me how you felt.”

 

“I’m going to kill them!” Ruth growls but she’s smiling!

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

CARL

 

We’ve just finished eating and Gus told us about N’Awlins over dinner and then showed us his scrapbook that Mel and Ben helped him make. He’s having a nap with Gummy.

 

“Still can’t believe it about Ruth and Arno.” Debs sighs. “They both liked each other but then when she and her ex split up, she did the decent thing and kept her distance. Until our Cyn intervened…”

 

“Her? Decent?” Michael scoffs.

 

“Yes. Decent. Look it up! You won’t need to look up dickhead since your picture will be the clue!!” Blake snaps and then smiles at Ted, who looks a little uneasy. “Do feel free to come back with a witty riposte…”

 

“No Michael, please don't.” Ted mutters.

 

“So Lindsay, when do you start?” I ask once I realise why Ted would rather he didn't!

 

“Next week.” She replies sullenly and we exchange looks.

 

“Aren’t you looking forward to it?” Debs asks.

 

“Yes but…” She sighs. “I had hoped to get the renaissance class but instead I’ve got post-modernism.”

 

“But wasn’t that your minor?” Brian asks and she nods. “So what’s the problem?”

 

“I wanted renaissance!” She pouts.

 

“But the person they chose for that has far more experience than you.” Ben says. “Cassia’s had a couple of shows and did the Rathman a few years back. Well, that’s what Millicent said.”

 

“Cassia? As in Cassia D’Milo?” Justin asks.

 

“Yes, that’s her. Such a nice lady from what I’ve seen of her.” Ben nods.

 

“Oh wow, we have a couple of her pieces!” Justin gasps. “I wish I could be in her class!”

 

“They’re looking for a part time teaching assistant…” Ben mentions.

 

“Really?” Justin’s face lights up and he looks at Brian who just nods. “Can you…”

 

“Give me a few…” Ben gets up and goes outside.

 

“Uh Justin, what about Britin?” Lindsay is incredulous.

 

“What about it?” Justin settles in Brian’s lap. “I trust Hunter for when we’re not there and if I get it, then it’s only part time.”

 

Ben waves at Justin from the back door. “Millicent wants to see you at 1000 tomorrow. Is that doable? It seems you have a fan.” Justin nods enthusiastically.

 

“But surely Ruth would like her house back as soon as possible.” Michael’s tone is frosty to say the least.

 

“She’s got a place in Heavenly and said to take our time.” Brian replies. “Oh Emmy, did you get any of the cake for the blessing?”

 

“Oh my goodness, yes. Lana loves!” He sighs. “

 

“And what about Luke?” Mel asks.

 

“He loves too.” Ems is blushing.

 

“How long’s it been now, Ems? Almost a month? That an LTR for you, isn’t it?” Michael snickers.

 

“Tell me Michael, how did treating Ben like the third person in your relationship work out for you? Aren’t you the one who’s single and living with a lesbian, who is pretending to mommie dearest that she’s straight?”

 

“As I said at the time, Lynette is mistaken!” Lindsay hisses.

 

“Oh that reminds me, how was the wedding of Ruth’s ex? I could’ve sworn that I saw some pictures of it but they seem to have been removed from the FaceBook page. Do you know why?”

 

“No idea.” Lindsay replies tightly.

 

I have to hide my smirk because we all know that Ruth’s ex and his wife went straight around to Lindsay’s mother’s and ordered her to remove all the pictures from the site. Then she made her way round to Lindsay and Michael’s to rip them a new one for costing them extra money. She also withdrew the invites that they issued to various parties, effectively slamming the door very hard on Lindsay’s social climbing ideas.

 

Ben comes back in and is grinning hugely. “Sorry that took longer than I thought but tomorrow’s meeting is cancelled.” Lindsay smirks. “You’re hired Justin! Turns out that not only is Millicent a fan but so is Cassia. She threatened to walk if you weren’t hired as her assistant!”

 

“Oh my God!” Justin grins.

 

“So you start on Wednesday. Want to carpool?”

 

“Yeah sure!” Justin gets up and hugs him tightly. “Thank you so much Ben!”

 

“You’re welcome! That’s what friends are for.”

 

“And speaking of friends... Yet again, you’ve made your dislike clear.” Mel turns to Lindsay and Michael. “Never ever make your dislike of any of us clear to Gus. He can see and he can hear! And for goodness sake, be better prepared when taking the kids out. Gulliver, I can understand but to leave his books and her popsicles was just silly...basic those things are basic.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Lindsay retorts. “Are you trying to make us look bad in front of Brian?”

 

“You don’t need any help with that. Gus told us about the weekend with you and how he was upset about it. Then all three of us told Mel how he felt together. If you’d like, I can draw up a checklist for you…” Justin glares at them.

 

“You’ve only been a stepdad for what a few weeks and you reckon you know everything?!” Michael spits at him. “Well you don't! Why not leave it to the grown-ups to bring up the children and you do…”

 

“How dare you speak to my husband like that?!” Brian snarls. “I told you to cut that shit out…” Brian steps right into Michael's personal space and looks him dead in the eye. “He’s been more of a father and uncle to Gus than you or I have been but unlike you, I’m making an effort to change and be the father I wanted to have. What did you call me? Oh that was it... a drop in dad. Well at least I put Gus above everyone else and Justin doesn't behave like a jealous fucktard. Have you paid support to Mel yet?”

 

“It’s not due until…”

 

“Doesn't matter when it's due you have it, give it to her!” Brian cuts him off. “You’re pathetic, Michael truly pathetic. You really don't see that you, both of you, are in the wrong. But as long as you get what you want, fuck everyone else. Sorry Debs, I won't be here next weekend, not if he’s here.”

 

Michael is too stunned to speak… We all are.

 

“That’s okay honey, we can come to you. Right guys?” Debs looks around and we nod.

 

“But we're not allowed in there!” Lindsay exclaims.

 

“Exactly!” Debs retorts.

 

“Debs, why are you speaking to me like that?!”

 

“Because I watched you silently urging Michael on. Justin babysat for Gus or don’t you remember that?” She glares at her. “He was good enough then when it benefitted you so why isn't he good enough now?!”

 

“Come on Stud, let's go home.” Justin sighs as he turns back a moment. “It's simple Debs. As long as I’m living the life I am with Brian, I will never be good enough...unless I’m gone. Newsflash, I’m staying. Get used to it!”

 

Within a few minutes, they're gone and the door being firmly closed seems to bring Michael around.

 

“Can you believe how Brian just spoke to me?!” He explodes. “Who the fuck does he think he is?!”

 

“Justin’s husband and your soon to be ex-best friend!” Ted snaps and stands up. “Come on Blake, we need to have angry sex! And I’m topping!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.