- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I have addressed something that always bothered me during the cancer arc of the series, hopefully you like it.

CHAPTER 32 - BLABBERMOUTHS STRIKE AGAIN!

 

CARNEGIE MELLON - FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

CAR PARK

 

MICHAEL

 

I am waiting to meet Lindsay. We’re both feeling a lot better, although our mutual headaches today had nothing to do with our colds. We went out last night and I happened to overhear that Brian is meeting Boy Ass after work. Since he loves him so much, he won’t embarrass him by not speaking to me...I mean us!

 

As the door opens and the students pour out, a couple of them give me filthy looks. I’m tempted to point out that it wasn’t my fault but my eyes are on a bigger prize. I wave at Lindsay as she comes to greet me. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Waiting for Brian.” I grin. “Overheard last night he’s meeting his husband to take him for an early dinner.”

 

“Is he now?” She has the same Cheshire Cat Grin as me.

 

Ben and Justin come out talking away with some other woman before she waves goodbye to them. We head their way. “Good afternoon guys.” I smile; they smile back.

 

“Oh hi Michael, how are you? Have you recovered from your illness?” Ben asks as if he cares!

 

“Fine.” I reply frostily.

 

“Hey Rage!” Someone calls out and we turn around to see Brian walking towards me, smiling.

 

“Hi Brian!” I smile but he just walks passed us and kisses Justin.

 

“You ready?” He asks him while Lindsay and I just look aghast.

 

“I said hello, Brian!” I repeat louder.

 

“And I greeted my husband first. As it should be. So hello.” Brian drawls.

 

“How have you been? I was…” I begin.

 

“Fine. Want to walk or grab a cab?” He turns back to Justin.

 

“It’s a nice day, let’s walk.” Justin replies.

 

“Ms Peterson! Can I talk to you for a minute?” Someone calls out. As Lindsay turns to speak to whoever it is, I watch my chance to talk to Brian walk away.

 

“Bye guys!” Ben calls out and when I turn back to speak to him, I find him lip locked with his boyfriend!

 

“Is that absolutely necessary?!” I snap.

 

“Yep.” His boyfriend laughs. “We’re meeting Hunter in an hour, car’s round the corner. I would say it’s nice to see you but I don’t like to lie.”

 

“I can say the same about you!” I bite back.

 

“But I said it first and you do lie. Bye now.” He retorts.

 

Lindsay comes back, literally seconds, after they leave me stranded. “Where’s everyone gone?”

 

“It seems to be date night.” I sneer and tell her about how Ben and Brian behaved in her absence.

 

“The schoolyard games people play, how pathetic!” Lindsay seethes.

 

APPLEWOOD SMOKED BURGER - 90 MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

I chew slowly but I know that smug look on his face. Until I finally chew no more, I swallow.

 

“It’s good isn’t it?”

 

“No.” I reply shortly and he looks surprised.

 

“It’s excellent...you need to get more fries, since you ate them so quickly!” I demand, popping the last of it in my mouth and with another smirk, he sashays to the counter.

 

This has to be the most exquisite burger I have ever had. As Justin comes back with fries, he grins. “So Gus would really like…”

 

“Alright we can come here next weekend!” I grouse and get myself a salty kiss.

 

“He sounded like Darth Vader before his voice broke!” He giggles then stops and gapes.

 

“Justin, you okay?” I turn to where he is gawping and I see Mother Taylor across the street holding hands with the Tucker guy from Heavenly! Justin is rummaging for his phone. “How did you feel when she did that?” I ask him and he pauses. “It's no different so leave her be.”

 

“Oh God!” He groans quietly. “They're coming in! Quick slide under the table!”

 

“Justin. Behave.” I warn and that gets his attention. “He’s a nice guy. Ruth doesn't have shitty friends. After all is said and done, she deserves happiness too.”

 

“Justin! Brian!” Jennifer gasps when she sees us and is frozen to the spot.

 

“Mom, Tucker come join us!” He replies, giving her a kiss but I notice he keeps her on his side of the table nearest the wall!

 

An hour later, he’s calmed down from caveboy son and we're in a bar up the street laughing as Jennifer hustles Tucker at pool.

 

“Mother Taylor, I am so glad you never passed that skill onto Justin.” I call out as she thrashes Tucker yet again.

 

“Why?” She smiles as Tucker sets up the balls for his next loss.

 

“Forfeits.” I reply and laugh as Justin and Mother Taylor go bright red!

 

RUTH’S CONDO - SATURDAY MORNING

 

BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

Finally I get to have my facial! My PSA husband reads the instructions for the third time! “I know, I’m sorry!” He smiles sweetly and even though I had it before, we had to do a patch test. Then I’m taken aback when he leads me to the bathroom where I find the bath set. It actually feels like a steam room. “It says here to open up the pores.”

 

“Fine.” I decide to indulge him and slide into the water. “You have 20 minutes.” He tells me, applying something to my hair.

 

Another 40 minutes later, I am lying on the bed and Justin is painstakingly applying the oils, followed by the pads on my eyes. “Is it itching?”

 

“Nope.” I mumble.

 

“Can you test the towel?” He asks and it is the perfect temperature. I almost purr when he applies it to the back of my neck. “You have ten minutes, okay?” I just nod.

 

Ten minutes later, he’s taking it off. “Do you want me to do your eyebrows?” My eyes fly open. “Yes or no?” He smiles down at me and again I let him have his way. “Okay hold the mirror and guide me.” For 15 minutes, I wince slightly, but laugh more as he plucks me to perfection. “Okay, you’re done.” He tries to move away.

 

“Ahem.” I grumble. “You missed the head massage as in the one attached to my neck!”

 

“Oh, you remembered that bit?” He laughs and soon I’m struggling to stay awake!

 

“Brian?”

 

“Mmm?”

 

“Did he ever ask you about it?”

 

“Who and about what?” I stay his hand as he sounds sad. We were having such a great time.

 

“Michael and about the cancer…” I sit up and turn to face him. “It was something in the way Ben looked when Mel asked if everything is okay.”

 

I shrug and then shake my head. “When Michael was hurt and they refused my blood, Ben told me that I couldn’t give blood anyway because of the cancer...so he must have told him.”

 

“Lie back down.” He smiles softly and starts the massaging again. After 10 minutes, I feel his fingers gently brushing my face. “I will never allow him to hurt you again.” He whispers, leaving a kiss on my nose. I sniff and then wheeze. “And now for the draining…”

 

“We have got to find a better word for that!”

 

MEL’S HOUSE - LATE SUNDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

I can’t help but smile at this. Gus has his Sunday backpack open and we have to go through the list. “Are you ready, momma?”

 

“Yes Gus. First put in your PJs and toiletry bag. Now put in your reading book, then your scrapbook and camera. Your cookies for your daddies and finally your report card.”

 

“Can you double check that they’re packed properly so they don’t dig in?” He asks and puts it on his back and I jiggle stuff around. “That’s perfect, momma! Can we go now?”

 

“What do you mean go, Gus?” He’s forgotten but I can’t really blame him as he was poorly.

 

“It’s Sunday so we go to grandma’s.” He replies, heading for his shoes.

 

“Yes, but this is a special Sunday. Everyone is coming here.” He slowly comes back in and looks astonished. “We thought that because you and Gummy had colds that you’d like to spend this Sunday here.”

 

“Momma, we have to cook!” He puts his pack down and runs to the kitchen.

 

“Gus, everyone is bringing a dish and you’ve already done dessert. We’re having ice cream sandwiches.”

 

“Oh, the pool!” He cries and rushes outside. Then the door knocks and he runs that way. “Momma the door, open the door!”

 

“Coming, I’m coming!” I laugh and open the door to Debs and Carl. He hugs Carl first as Debs is ladened down with a roasting tray. “Okay Debs, you were right. He forgot!” She cackles and heads to the kitchen.

 

“Grandpa, can you help me with the pool please?” Gus asks, tugging him outside.

 

“Never have I been ordered about so politely!” Carl laughs as he’s dragged out.

 

Soon the house is filled with the family but as well as waiting for Brian and Justin, we’re waiting for Michael and Lindsay too.

 

“Mel, let her finish it!” Hunter orders as he catches me helping Gummy to finish her popsicle...her avocado, peanut butter and chocolate popsicle. “You are not teething!”

 

“I’m her taster!” I call back and then feel a little peeved that him distracting me meant she finished it herself. “Okay little one, let’s get you under the parasol.” I pick her up and put her on her mat and snicker as she immediately toddles off it, heading determinedly towards Ben.

 

“Ben, she’s coming your way!”

 

“Hey little one!” He, as usual, stops what he’s doing to concentrate on her.

 

“Hi everyone!” Lindsay calls out as she comes in. “Oh great, I am so glad that I packed my swimsuit.” She misses the nauseous expression on Blake’s face as she turns back into the house with Michael in her wake.

 

They don’t take long to come back down and immediately Michael takes Gummy away from Ben, which has nothing to do with Xavier being with him at all.

 

“Frick and Frack! Momma, they’re here!” Gus yells as they streak in yipping excitedly followed by Brian and Justin.

 

We all just stare and Brian looks behind him. “What?” He asks, turning back.

 

“You look incredible, kiddo!” Debs declares, walking up to him and grabbing his face. “Wow, how much did that cost you?!”

 

“What are you talking about?” He asks, finally wresting his chin out of her grip. “I haven’t…”

 

“The last time you looked that good was when you came back from New York.” Debs grabs his face again and this time, tries to looks behind his ears.

 

“Debs, what are you doing?!” He objects, trying to bat her hands out of his hair.

 

“Looking for the marks. You can hardly see them these days.” She keeps turning his face this way and that.

 

“Oh, I know where to look!” Ems advances.

 

“Stop woman-handling me! Justin, defend your husband and property!” He yells as Ems joins in the investigation.

 

“Okay, back away from the Stud!” Justin composes himself and manages to get between the three of them. “He’s not had work done. I just gave him a facial yesterday.”

 

We all knew that he is a slut for his products but seriously, he looks well...from an aesthetic point of view...fucking gorgeous.

 

“You didn’t!” Ems exclaims and just as he’s heading to his bag, he stops and again stares.

 

“Hi Brian, Justin.” A heavily accented voiced man strides in and warmly embraces the pair of them. “This is my baba and she wanted to meet the people who made me happy. Ruth is...”

 

“Oh my God! I knew it! I knew you couldn’t do monogamy!” Michael crows. “I have to admit, he’s a good looking man!”

 

Baba, what the hell does that mean?” Lindsay snickers and then approaches. “You’re right Michael, this is a fine specimen. You two have excellent taste.”

 

“Baba means grandmother. And I am not a prize bull for you to walk around and appraise so kindly stop.”

 

“Baba?” Debs repeats but I can see the irritation on her face. Brian and Justin look calm and then it hits me who it is!

 

“Yes…and you must be Debbie. Baba, this is Debbie, Brian’s mother.”

 

“A pleasure. Now, who is Cynthia?” She looks around and she fixes on Lindsay. “Surely it is not this blonde thing. She does not sound kind.”

 

“Oh God, no!” Blake laughs. “Sorry, I’m Blake, this is my partner Ted. Cynthia is not here and trust me she is kind…”

 

“Blake, the angry sex man. You must look forward to Sundays yes, Ted?” Baba grins and then laughs heartily as Blake’s jaw hits the floor.

 

“Well Brian, you certainly have been chatty with your...shall we go with new friend?” Lindsay chortles.

 

“Yeah Justin, how does this arrangement work?” Michael asks smugly. “Give us the raw details of the situation.”

 

“Oh my!” Ems breathes and we look to where he’s looking.

 

Now Ruth is a very pretty woman but nobody has seen her out of her uniform of trousers and a smart top. However, now she’s in shorts, an overshirt and bikini top. Lindsay is looking at her with ill-disguised envy.

 

“Ruthie! You look so pretty!” Gus runs up to her.

 

“Thank you Gus. And I can answer that question for Michael. I drive them and get to go home with him…” She points at Arno. “Everyone, this is Arno and his Baba or in English, his grandmother.”

 

Realisation hits Debs like a ton of bricks and she grins. “Oh honey, you lucky girl! Why not put that in the kitchen and I’ll handle the introductions?”

 

“No problem!” She smiles and heads back inside.

 

“Lijep djecak!” Baba kneels down to brush Gus’s face gently. “You must be so proud, he looks like you.” She stares at Brian.

 

“We are. But what did you say?” Justin asks, smiling.

 

“Oh sorry, beautiful boy, he is like his father. And you must be Justin. Turn please.”

 

We all look confused as Justin does as he’s told and she laughs again. “Oh yes, it is like a bubble!”

 

“Ruth!” Justin grumbles as she comes out smiling.

 

“What?” She tries for innocence and misses. “Hey Gus, you okay?”

 

“He’s really big.” Gus whispers as he stares up at Arno. “Even bigger than Uncle Ben. And I didn’t think anyone is bigger.”

 

“He’s a very gentle giant. But let’s do this a way that you will understand. Arno, can you sit down and call them?”

 

He nods and sits down on the grass and clicks his tongue and immediately Frick and Frack dash over.

 

“If Frick and Frack were scared of Arno, would they go to him?” She asks and Gus takes his time to think before shaking his head. “Do you want daddy Justin to go with you?” He nods and takes Justin’s hand and in minutes, he is sitting on Arno’s lap.

 

“Baba.” Lindsay simpers. “I’m Gus’s birth mother and…”

 

“Yes, I have been told. So it is you I need to thank most of all.” Lindsay frowns. “Your jealousy of my babushka meant that we found her. Now, who is that little one?” She points at Gummy.

 

“This is my daughter JR.” Lindsay rallies and calls Michael over.

 

“So who is Gummy?” Baba asks.

 

“This is Gummy.” Hunter saunters over and immediately, Gummy reaches for him. “It depends on who you talk to as to what she’s called.” Michael still hasn’t let her go to Hunter and she’s starting to wriggle and protest.

 

“Oh, may I?” Baba asks and he immediately, hands her over. Then she promptly hands her over to Hunter.

 

“Is it popsicle time, Gummy?” Hunter asks, bouncing her in his arms.

 

“I’ll get it Hunner!” Gus calls out. “Arno, come too!”

 

“Popsicle? What is that?” Baba asks them.

 

“Oh it’s a little thing that we created to soothe the gums of JR when she’s teething. We will do anything for...”

 

“Uncle Michael, you did a bad thing! Hunner made these for Gummy. You must say sorry for telling a fib to Baba. Mustn’t he, mommy?”

 

“Lambskin, what Uncle Michael meant was that we make them for Gummy when she’s at our house.”

 

“No, he didn’t.” Gus asserts. “He told a fib.”

 

The garden goes quiet as Gus stands his ground. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Brian and Justin starting to come over.

 

“Gus, I will not be questioned! Go and sit in the corner for 10 minutes.”

 

“But Uncle Michael, you did! He told a fib, daddy! Daddy Justin, he did! We’re not allowed to fib!” Gus starts to tear up but still holds his ground.

 

“Yes, he did Gus and that was very brave and good of you to say. Now go with Baba so she can clean you up.” Justin tells him. Baba nods and takes his hand, saying soothing words. “Hunter…”

 

“Got it. Dad! Parent time!” He calls out, walking away with Gummy.

 

“Kitchen now!” I hiss.

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

It is taking everything not to punch him...that everything is standing in front of me, vibrating with fury.

 

“All you had to do was say sorry! But no, you would rather best a four year old boy than do that!” Justin snarls.

 

“Justin…”

 

“And as for you Lindsay, you should’ve backed Gus up but no, you didn’t!  Why?”

 

“As I tried to explain to Gus, Michael didn’t…”

 

“Yes, he fucking did!” Ben growls. “Once again, he wanted to take credit where no credit was due!”

 

“And before you even think about it, no he doesn’t owe you an apology! I am so fucking furious. In fact, your next weekend with them is cancelled!” Mel announces and we are all shocked.

 

“You can’t do that!” Lindsay gasps.

 

“How many times did they call you over the weekend, Brian?” Mel demands.

 

“About 37.”

 

“37?!” Ben looks horrified.

 

“What was so important that you needed to call him 37 times? Not Ben, not Justin, not me but Brian...so what was it?!”

 

“Mel…”

 

“And what did you tell Gus before he spoke to Brian?” She talks over her. She’s never looked this mad at me.

 

“That he was busy and he would speak to him later.” Michael replies.

 

“Which was not quite what he said to you.” Mel retorts. “Brian said to call back in 10 minutes as he was driving but you told Gus that his daddy was with daddy Justin so would speak to him later.”

 

“For the love of God, Michael what is wrong with you?!” Ben rubs his head tiredly. “Did you know that Lindsay?”

 

“No, I didn’t!” She answers immediately and glares at Michael. “Look we…”

 

“No! Your weekend is cancelled. Gus would be punished for a lie and so you both should be as well.” Mel waves away her words. “By not correcting Michael, you lied too.”

 

“So when will our next weekend be?” Michael asks.

 

“Two weeks after that, we’d go back into rotation.”

 

“Fine, then we will spend as much time with our children as we can today.” Lindsay snipes.

 

“That’s up to G&G. You upset him especially, so if he wants to come to you, let him do so.” Ben declares. “You two are just unbelievable and…”

 

“Ben, how did you know?” Justin asks and Ben frowns.

 

“Know what?”

 

“About the cancer, how did you know?”

 

“Cancer? What cancer?” Mel looks like she wants to throw up as does Lindsay. “Who had cancer?”

 

“Me.” I reply quietly.

 

“Michael told me. Why?”

 

“Do you know how Brian’s doing with it?”

 

“Well obviously he’s okay since he’s here!” Michael exclaims.

 

“Just because he’s here, doesn’t mean he’s well!” Justin shouts back. “And you’d know for definite if you had bothered to ask him!”

 

“You mean to say that you have never asked Brian about the cancer? Even after I told you what he was prepared to do for you after the bombing?!”

 

“How many people know?” Mel asks, sniffing.

 

“Five...Justin, Ben, Michael, Debs and Ted…” I laugh. “We have a PC drink once a year, just us, much to Justin’s annoyance.”

 

“Who and what are you talking about?” Mel gives me a wobbly smile.

 

“Your best friend and I go for a post-cancer drink and Justin’s not allowed to come but we don’t discuss work.”

 

“Ted doesn’t drink.” Mel frowns.

 

“And on that day, neither do I. I do what Ted wants to do for an evening. To say thank you for your support.”

 

“You sicken me, truly sicken me!” We all whirl around to face a tearful Ems. “I don’t care that you didn’t tell us Michael, as I suspect Brian asked you to keep it quiet, which of course, you didn’t! But I do care that you didn’t fucking ask about it afterwards! It’s very telling that the things you should say, never enter your mind, yet your mouth is always open when the ignorant shit you think just needs to fly out. Go figure that! You remind me of an overstuffed garbage can. From the bottom to the top, and even with the scattered remains you call your life, you’re just a mess, Michael! And I for one, am getting tired of seeing your waste everywhere. So, here’s some advice before you lose your new bosom bestie Lindsay...you really need to look up the definition of best friend because you certainly aren’t one!”

 

“Honeycutt…come here you big nelly bottom.” I order and he buries his head in my neck.

 

“Don’t ever stop calling me Honeycutt.” He whispers.

 

“I won’t, I promise.” I whisper back.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks