- Text Size +

CHAPTER 38 - FRIDAY IS THE DAY OF SHOCK AND AWE

 

MICHAEL & LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - FRIDAY MORNING

 

LINDSAY

 

Thank goodness that suspension is over with. I couldn’t believe it when Millicent said that! She could’ve taken us to her office and disciplined us there instead of in front of other faculty! It’s what I would have done. Besides, I still can't understand why Virginia wasn't suspended, at least! Her insubordination was just abominable and should have been dealt with accordingly. I wish I had Millicent’s job, I would have put that little Miss in her rightful place but... Well no matter. As for Michael’s questions about me arriving home early and staying out for two days during my enforced vacation, I just told him that I needed time off to regroup after the news about Gus.

 

“Are you seriously going in today? Why not have today off and make a long weekend of it?”

 

I shake my head and gather my things. “No, I have to get back into the swing of it and I’m sure I have a ton of marking to do as well. We’ve got the children this weekend, haven't we?” He nods. “Which one of our babysitters is with us?” I sneer and shake my head that this ridiculous rule is still in place.

 

“Mel.” He sighs. “How long do you reckon this babysitting is going to carry on for?”

 

“Until it clashes with something they want to do and suddenly they’ll trust us.” I put my cup in the sink. “What are you up to today?”

 

“Not sure. Want to meet for lunch, my treat?”

 

I nod and give him a kiss on the cheek. “You are such a good friend.” I tell him.

 

“You are too. See you about one.”

 

RUTH’S CONDO - AN HOUR LATER

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

We decided to work from here for the rest of the week. When we told the family that Gus was fine, immediately everyone wanted to celebrate but we just wanted to be by ourselves. We did see Gus on the evening we found out and he’s totally unfazed by it; just asked about the weekend with his mommy and Uncle Michael.

 

I have Rathman to concentrate on so have been dedicating my time to that. Cassia has been an absolute godsend! She leant me her notes so I know what to expect and the people to schmooze up to.

 

I look across at Brian since he’s starting to stir. “Is it still morning?” He asks, stroking my thigh under the sheet.

 

“Mmm, very early. Go back to sleep.”

 

“Whatcha doing?” He asks turning on his side.

 

“Rathman. I need to finish off the notes. Brian, mmm...put your hands where I can see them, not feel them!” I order, starting to squirm as his hand starts to drift.

 

“Hand, singular...you can see this one!” He waves at me for emphasis.

 

“Brian!” I grumble, trying to shift away from him.

 

“Stop squirming...for now.” He gets up and goes to the bathroom.

 

He comes back in, attempting to sort out his bedhead and sighing. “Can I have a facial tonight?” He sits on the side of the bed and starts to play with the papers.

 

“If I say yes, will you let me do this for an hour?” I attempt to take them away from him.

 

“An hour...on the grave of Marilyn?”

 

“Yes, on the grave of Marilyn.” I smile and lift the sheets. He crawls back into bed and puts his head in my lap. Ten minutes of hair stroking, he’s starting to doze back off.

 

“No fair.” He mumbles and I laugh as he doesn't move or stop me. “Two hours.”

 

“Fine.”

 

OUTSIDE CARNEGIE MELLON - LUNCH TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

Lindsay's looking stressed out. “What’s the matter?” I ask as she comes towards me.

 

“Oh, just work stuff. You were right; I shouldn't have come in today. I have a splitting headache. And during my absence, there were two tests, which I have to mark by Monday. I could do with swapping weekends.”

 

“Well let's phone her now and get that sorted out.”

 

“Yeah. Oh no, we can’t! That’s Rathman weekend. Let’s just leave things as they are and hopefully she can pick up the slack while I’m doing the marking. Turnabout is fair play and I’ve done that for her when Gus was born and she was working on legal briefs.”

 

“Okay. So where do you want to go to lunch?”

 

“Lindsay!” Some woman calls out and she turns round and groans. “Glad I caught you. Why don't you go home, you are looking a little peaky?”

 

Lindsay looks surprised. “No, I’m fine Millicent. Just need to eat something and…”

 

“It wasn't a suggestion, Lindsay. You aren't at full strength so we will see you on Monday.”

 

“Come on, Lindsay…” I insist.

 

“But the marking…” She turns back to that Millicent person.

 

“Between me, Cassia and Virginia, we can sort it out.”

 

LINDSAY

 

“Virginia?”

 

“Yes with Cassia’s help, she set the tests. Now have a good weekend!” Millicent tells me and heads back into the building.

 

While part of me is furious, I’m also relieved as this means we can concentrate on the children fully. But I am not happy that Virginia is setting tests. She’s an assistant for heaven sake!

 

“Come on, let’s go to lunch. I think a large glass of wine is called for and we have to shop for the weekend.”

 

“Why don’t we go to Delicious Foods, first?” I look at Michael in surprise. “What? Why not see what the fuss is about? I heard Brian shopped there with Gus and Boy Ass. If they can do it, why can’t we?”

 

DELICIOUS FOODS - AN HOUR LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

I am beginning to regret this! The cost of the food is astronomical! Lindsay is seemingly in her element, putting things in the basket that are making me wince but they do look good.

 

“Lindsay, look. Isn’t that Mel?!” I whisper as we see Mel walking around the store with a trolley and a smile on her face as she speaks into the phone. So we get as close as we can without being noticed.

 

“Okay, I will see you later. No Lindsay and Michael have them this weekend and I’m babysitting them. Should be fun-fun-fun.” I grimace and Lindsay huffs in anger. “Look, I’ve got to go get the wine and pay. Yeah... later.”

 

We watch her head to the wine department and Lindsay is looking annoyed. Now she knows how I felt when Ben moved on so quickly! I wonder if it is Leda she is talking to. Well, we’ll soon find out!

 

“Wine needs to get got.” I remind Lindsay. So we follow her and watch as she takes two bottles, one red and one white. Then she consults some list in her hand.

 

We grab wine too and then follow her to the cash desk but don’t queue up. Instead, we check out what is in her trolley. Whomever she is buying that shit for is in for a serious treat!

 

“Oh, we are going to talk about this tomorrow!” Lindsay declares through gritted teeth and as if she’s talking to herself. “I am not about to be so easily replaced!”

 

HEAVENLY RETREATS - EARLY EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

RUTH

 

Oh my god, the man is a genius. I taste the sauce again and look across at Mira, who just nods and then serves. Two hours later, we are all sitting in the bar. By all I mean it is me, Emmy, Hunter, Ben, Carmine, Xavier, Mel, Jennifer and Tucker.

 

“So what do you think?” I ask Tucker and he nods.

 

“Well ask him then. Before Mira implodes!” I order smiling.

 

“Ask who what?” Hunter asks, looking round the table. “Oh what have you done?”

 

“I run the culinary arts department at CG.” Tucker explains. “And you have an incredible talent. We’re allowed to recommend a student for the scholarship program provided they are supported by a local business.”

 

“And…” Ben prompts.

 

“If you decide to accept the scholarship, you will be sponsored by me.” I smile at him. “You are more than a courier or a chauffeur. You sir, are a chef!”

 

He looks incredulously around at us. “For the love of God say yes, we’re dying here!” Emmy demands.

 

“A-are you serious?” Hunter has tears in his eyes.

 

“Yes. You nailed the fussiest audiences in the world a baby...and Brian Kinney.”

 

“She can tell the difference.” Mel smiles at him. “Without fail she knows when you’ve made it and when I’ve made it. She’ll eat it but she knows when it’s yours. Even if you don’t do the scholarship, copyright the recipes and keep them as yours. I can help you with that and the sooner the better. You have researched them and tested them and made them for her. The popsicles are a miracle gum soother...call them that. The chicken broth cube is…”

 

“What chicken broth cube?” Debs comes out with Carl and Mira.

 

“Oh the ones you put in the risotto.” Emmy heads behind the bar to grab glasses, wine and beer. “They’re Hunter’s. Hold it! Wait a minute...you said Brian Kinney...dish!”

 

I love Emmy so much. He may take a few, but he gets there! “Seems no matter how many popsicles I put in the freezer, Justin always complains that there is none left by the time he wants to eat one…”

 

Hunter is just sitting there stunned. “Uh yes. I say yes!”

 

“Yes!” Debs screams and engulfs him a hug.

 

Mel pulls out a raft of papers. “Okay, let’s do the boring stuff…”

 

RUTH’S CONDO - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

He gave me a facial earlier and now it is my turn. I called the facialist at Heavenly and she told me how to do patch tests without him noticing and now we have the perfect mix for him...both face and body.

 

“Hey!” He bounds in looking happy as he’s got take out. Then comes to a halt. “What’s going on?”

 

“Give me this. Go upstairs and have a bath, it’s already set.” I give him a passionate kiss and send him, slightly dazed, on his way. “Twenty minutes!”

 

“Um, okay.”

 

Twenty minutes later and he’s a little pink all over from the bath, which I discover as I peel his gown off him. Then I help him to lie down with his head hanging off the mattress.

 

“Uh Brian, what are you...?” He begins but when I make sure his head is cocooned in pillows and warm towels, he soon forgets questions. “Oh, that feel so good!”

 

Softly and slowly, I massage him from toe to neck until he’s melting under my touch. “I thought only my kisses did that?”

 

“I swear I will divorce you if you don’t do this every week...jeez, oh do that again!”

 

“What? This?” I murmur and softly press the base of his spine.

 

“Mmm that. So this mix, what is it?” He asks, reaching for the bottle but I swat his hand away.

 

“You don’t tell me what’s in mine; I’m not telling you what’s in yours.” I grin in the face of his indignation. “But you do have two.”

 

“Two? Why do I have two?” He reaches for my hands and pulls me to lie on top of him.

 

“Well there’s this one, which is toes to neck.” I kiss him gently. “And there’s one that goes on your face.”

 

“I love you so much.” He whispers.

 

“I love you so much too but your face is going to have to wait. As right now you smell and feel incredible. Time to eat!” I exclaim and then I start to make love to my husband.

 

MEL’S HOUSE - LATE EVENING

 

BEDROOM

 

MEL

 

I blink as the door opens and the bed dips. Reaching for the light, I see Gus making his way towards me. I pull back the blankets and let him get settled.

 

“Momma? Is there a difference between me and Gummy?”

 

“Yes, you are a boy and she is a girl.” I reply, not sure where this has come from or where he’s going.

 

“Oh okay. So I’m a boy but a different colour to another boy, what’s different apart from that?”

 

I frown and try to work out what he’s saying. “Can you explain a bit more?”

 

He nods and then thinks. “Ruthie is dark caramel, you’re kind of oaty, daddy is cream, no papa is cream and daddy is more roasted peanut biscuit colour. So are you different on the inside too?”

 

“No absolutely not. Our skin colour makes no difference to the kind of person we are. We are all made the same; it’s how we behave that makes us different.”

 

“Daddy is kind, isn’t he?” He asks, looking up at me.

 

“Yes he is, he is very kind.”

 

“And so is Ruthie. So if it doesn’t make a difference then I can ask her, can’t I?”

 

“Ask her what?”

 

“If she and daddy can have another Gummy. I think we need another Gummy. Uncle Michael doesn’t seem to want to share.”

 

Oh holy fucking hell!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly. Thanks