- Text Size +

CHAPTER 46 - BEST SERVED COLD

 

DEBS

 

We’ve had dinner so we’re in the lounge digesting it, when my phone rings.

 

“Hey kiddo! No we haven’t... okay we’ll wait.”

 

“Who was that?” Michael asks and I make a point of ignoring him.

 

“Lindsay, why don’t you and Michael get the kids cleaned up and in their PJs?” I smile at her and Michael, my tone brooking no argument.

 

“Aren’t we having dessert, grandma?” Gus asks, looking a little disappointed.

 

“Oh yes, we are having dessert. But your daddies wanted to have it with you, so they are on their way. So if you go and have your bath then by the time you’re done, they should be here.”

 

“Come on mommy, my daddies are coming!” He yells tugging on Lindsay’s hand, all smiles again.

 

With a tinkling laugh, she goes upstairs with him. Michael, however, is having problems separating Gummy from her Ganka.

 

“Michael, why not let Carl take her up?” Sam suggests, getting a baleful look and he holds up his hand. “Just a suggestion…”

 

INSIDE BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S CAR

 

JUSTIN

 

“So are we telling them now or after the first scan?” I look across at him and he’s still got that grin on his face. “Brian? Earth to Brian?”

 

“After. Definitely after.” He puts his hand over mine on the gear stick. “Okay?”

 

“Yes of course. I still can’t believe it.”

 

“Me neither. Okay game faces on!” He declares as we pull up outside the house.

 

BACK IN THE LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

That has got to be the quickest bath G&G have ever had, but this time it has nothing to do with the gruesome twosome. This is all Gus and he is sitting on the step right opposite the front door.

 

“Daddies!” He yells and runs to hug them. “Where’s Ruthie, Arno and Mama G?”

 

“They went to the airport to drop Mama G off but she sent you both something.” Brian pulls out a package. “But you need to open it when you get home and remember to share.”

 

Gus nods sagely and comes to give it to me. “So what did you eat at Ruthie’s, daddies? We had tacos, burgers, green dip and wings. Oh and salad!”

 

“Crab and scallop burgers and fries.” Justin replies, almost drooling at the memory. “So good.”

 

“Can we have dessert now?” Gus asks.

 

“Yes sweetheart. You want to come and help me plate it up?”

 

“Please grandma. Oh daddies, do you want yours on one plate or two?”

 

“One please, Sonny Boy.” Brian replies.

 

“Oh, you guys are here!” Lindsay trills as she comes downstairs with Michael. “Let me just go and get him!”

 

I roll my eyes as she goes out the back to collect Sam. Debs had sent him out when he took out the cigar and went to light it...at the table. It was just a word order...outside.

 

“Justin, Brian this is my dear friend and...fellow artist, Sam Auerbach.”

 

“Hi Sam, nice to meet you in person. Are you going to be at Rathman in LA?” Justin is pure WASP and Brian is pure Brian in his dismissiveness of Sam.

 

“Yes he will.” Lindsay interrupts. “We’re looking forward to it.”

 

“Us too.” Brian responds. “Although, I’m looking forward to getting our pieces back.”

 

That gets Lindsay’s attention. “Oh, which pieces are you showing, Justin?”

 

“I’m not. Cassia is. After my showing in New York, they persuaded her to do another show.”

 

“It’s so nice that you are coming to support my girlfriend. Shows maturity.” I smile sweetly.

 

Sam’s phone ringing forestalls her retort and he heads outside. We can hear him shouting about something before he comes back in looking furious. “Fu...idiots!” He scowls and grabs his jacket.

 

“Uh Sam…?” Lindsay begins.

 

“Have to go to the gallery. Someone put their foot through the canvas of Joys of Selfing...gotta see the damage!” He kisses her quickly. “I’ll call you when I’m done. Bye everyone.” He is gone in seconds.

 

“Gus, you want to have a nap now?” Debs asks as yet again, his head bobs and without a word, he allows her to take him upstairs. She’s not there long. “He was exhausted.”

 

She sits down takes up the rest of her dessert and finishes it, before turning to Lindsay and leaning her hand on her chin. “And now that Gus is upstairs, can you tell me what the fuck you were thinking bringing him here?!”

 

Lindsay looks astounded. “What do you mean? Sam’s my…”

 

Previous fuckbuddy, yeah I know. Bringing him here was disrespectful to me and to Mel. Don’t do it again.”

 

“How is it any different to Cassia being flaunted in my face?!” She barks back before turning snootily to me. “Having Debs fight your battles for you, Mel? I’d have thought…”

 

“She’s not fighting my battles. Because I am not fighting you; I’m woman enough not to have to. But now that you and Sam are going at it again, it makes the dissolution easier. Look out for papers from Court & Stone, they are dealing with it…”

 

“Same for you, Michael.” Ben interjects. They are so pissed off they can’t speak! “What did you guys expect? That we were going to stay connected to you in anyway other than via G&G?” Ben and I snicker at the realization that they actually thought we’d still be beholden and chained to them.

 

“Now…” Michael begins, but Ben gets up and walks out as his phone rings. Judging by the smile on his face, it’s Xavier.

 

Michael’s face darkens and we just know his anger is going to be directed at Justin. “Why are you afraid so of me, Justin?”

 

Justin pauses in mid-lift of spoon and looks at him. “Is that a serious question? Why would I be afraid of you?!”

 

“Well obviously you are because you are banning me from the buildings you…”

 

“We.” Brian interrupts, sharply. “We are banning you from the premises that we own. Nothing to do with fear of you but more to do with knowing you now and how destructive you can get when you get frustrated. And that goes for both of you.” He pauses in the face of their incredulity. “Because at the end of the day, you two are frustrated because you can’t get what I have.”

 

“Brian, what are you talking about?” Lindsay scoffs. “What do you have that we could possibly want?”

 

“Justin.”

 

“What on earth do I want him for?” Michael sneers.

 

“Rage. You couldn’t do it without him and now you can’t do it at all. As for you, Lindsay, you need Justin for your artistic aspirations. But I won’t let you have him, because he’s mine.”

 

“Oh that reminds me, Lindsay... you should expect your half of the money for the painting in the next few days.”

 

“What painting?” She looks confused.

 

“The one that Justin gave us. I did…”

 

“You can’t sell that! He gave it to us, like you said!” She’s almost frothing in fury.

 

“Yes. But I hadn’t seen it…” Brian smiles indulgently at Justin. “And when I did, I bought it off her and she is...”

 

“Being the better person than you. Because if you had remembered it, Lindsay, you wouldn’t have given me a dime.” I interrupt. “So like I said, your half is on its way.”

 

“And how much is that exactly? $1 or something? A token payment? Just like you to negotiate...”

 

“$25,000 is what I paid so $12,500 is yours. Why don’t you do what Michael did and pay support for a year as that won’t last long!” Brian snipes. “You do have expensive tastes after all.”

 

Lindsay opens her mouth and then closes it again. “I…”

 

“Need to go and say goodnight to your son and daughter as it’s time for them to go home and bed.” I glare at her and for once, she does as she’s told without another word.

 

“That goes for you too, Michael.” Ben orders quietly. “Mel that was Xavier. He’s on his way.”

 

“Do as you are told quietly.” Debs tells him...but of course, he makes a point of stomping up the stairs.

 

“Dickhead.” Blake mutters.

 

“Yeah, and a very small one!” Ben chuckles

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

“Okay Sam, I’ll see you tomorrow evening. I’m glad it wasn't as bad as you thought.” I sigh and run my hands across my face.

 

“What's wrong? You've got $12,500 coming your way, I would be celebrating right now…” Michael points out.

 

“I would've preferred the painting. Can't believe I forgot it! It would've appreciated in value.”

 

“I see. So you still going to LA with Sam?”

 

“Yes, we are. And when I say we, I mean you are coming with us.”

 

“What for?” He looks confused...as usual.

 

“You have other comic ideas, right? So reach out to Brett Keller again. Ginny said Justin had arranged meetings. Clearly, Keller isn't one of them or she would've said, the crowing bitch that she is. So get in first!

 

“Ah good thinking! I’ll go through my stuff to…” His eyes go wide and he runs to the desk before pulling out papers, muttering to himself. He finds what he’s looking for and flicks through it. “You have got to be kidding!”

 

“What?” I pour us each a glass of wine, having a feeling we will need it.

 

“Not so smart Boy Fucking Wonder!” He crows, dancing round the room. “It’s not on there! We were going to do another comic but then Rage took up all of our time. He drew some panels but I should be able to get someone else to finish an issue, and there is nothing he can do about it! Because it has nothing to do with Rage!”

 

We clink glasses and start to plan our trip.

 

RATHMAN GALLERY, LOS ANGELES - THREE WEEKS LATER

 

SATURDAY EVENING

 

SAM

 

I sigh as yet again, Lindsay tells someone how she encouraged Justin to enter Rathman; that without her, he wouldn't be getting the residency! I take her elbow and lead her to a quiet corner.

 

“Lindsay, could you stop bigging up Justin? He doesn't need your help. He has his manager for that.”

 

“Who is neglecting her duties…”

 

“She's not neglecting him! She’s the featured artist of this show and you are being disrespectful to her by behaving this way. Now, can you tell me what’s up Michael’s ass, or not up his ass, as the case may be?”

 

“He had some bad news today…”

 

Start of flashback

LUXE SUNSET BOULEVARD HOTEL - SATURDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t wait! I have about six meetings booked for Monday. I even managed to get Brett Keller locked down. Seems that he wasn’t aware that Boy Wonder is in town. Tsk-tsk Boy Ass, where are your fabled manners?!

 

The flight to LA was a little annoying because, unlike Lindsay, I was not in first class. In fact, the rest of the artsy crowd had flown on Friday so I guess she felt she wouldn’t miss much not being back here with me. But whatever...I mean, at least I had a lot of legroom and could read my comics in peace.

 

I am just laying the panels out and making sure they match the comic, as I remember Boy Wonder doing that. I am feeling proud that I’ll finally have something that Justin can’t piss on by exerting creative control. I’ve called it Revenge of Sidekick, I can’t help the small chuckle that escaped, when the door knocks.

 

“Mr Michael Novotny?” I nod. “I’m Alistair Berringer, of Court & Stone, here is my card and identification. May I come in please?”

 

I step aside and lead him into the lounge and smile to myself. This must be the way they do things in LA, sending the legal people ahead of the meeting! “Please sit down, may I offer you a drink?”

 

“No thank you, this hopefully won’t take long. I represent Mr Brian Taylor-Kinney. This cease and desist order is for you in regards to the comic Revenge of the Sidekick…

 

“What?! This is nothing to do with Rage so Justin can’t…”

 

“As I said, I represent Brian Taylor-Kinney. He owns the copyright to all the illustrations done by Justin Taylor-Kinney and Justin Taylor. Yes, they are one in the same person, but Mr. Taylor-Kinney didn’t want any deliberate disregarding or intentional misunderstandings due to semantics. To put it plainly, you’re prohibited from showing them to any third party, having them reproduced by a third party, attempting their destruction or profiteering from them in any shape way or form. All copies of the illustrations you have in your possession are to be given to me immediately.”

 

This has to be a fucking joke...a fucking joke!

 

“Mr Novotny, this looks like the comic in question so I shall take all of this now, and if it is not then, I shall return it. And this is also for you.” I just take the envelope from him. “Do you wish to open them now and sign them for me? I believe these are expected.”

 

“Huh? What do you mean expected?!” I watch as my dreams disappear, once again, only now they are being shoved into his briefcase.

 

“Those are the dissolution of civil partnership papers on behalf of Benjamin Bruckner. When I knew I was coming to serve this order, I thought it best to kill two birds with one stone.”

 

It takes everything not to punch him!

 

“Mr Novotny? Do you wish to sign the papers now or will you need to review them first and make an appointment when you get back to Pittsburgh?”

 

“No, I’ll do it now. Might as well kill two birds with one stone too!”  I snipe, ripping open the envelope and start to read. “Infidelity?! What about his unreasonable behaviour?!”

 

“If you can provide evidence as to his behaviour, this will of course be taken into consideration.”

 

“He doesn’t have any evidence of infidelity!” I snap.

 

“He has the words from your…”

 

“I knew he was behind me! I just said that shit to piss him off!”

 

“Mr Novotny. Mr Bruckner was not behind you, as you state. The recording of your admission was made by Blake Wyzecki and then shown to Mr Bruckner.”

 

“Blake?! Blake told him? He’s a drugged up twink who…”

 

“Mr Novotny, I would save your staunch defence for the courts.” He gets up and just as he is about to leave he turns and smiles. “And you did cheat on your husband, Mr Novotny. I will bear witness to that fact if needs be. Good day.”

 

When the door shuts behind him, I throw the papers across the room and brush away my tears of frustration!

End of flashback

 

SAM

 

“What did you expect?” I ask Michael, who is vibrating with anger every time Brian or Justin get within the line of his vision. Whoa boy, if glares could kill...

 

“What do you mean? What did I expect?!” He growls.

 

“You call the comic Revenge of the Sidekick, and since everyone in that world knows of your association with Rage, the implication is obvious. How did Brian find out anyway?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe he overheard me talking in Woody’s…”

 

“Why would you talk about that in a public place? Brian and Justin are liked and respected from what I see and hear.” I wonder if he was dropped on his head as a child!

 

“This is all Justin’s fault!” He almost sprays his drink over me, so I back away.

 

“But you said that the attorney was representing Brian, not Justin. So how is it Justin’s fault?”

 

“He must have told him to do it!”

 

“Regardless of how it was done, it is done and there’s nothing you can do about it. Now either shut up and enjoy the free booze and food or go back to the hotel and sulk there!”

 

JUSTIN

 

I watch Sam storm off with them quickly following and hide back behind the curtain. That man of mine never ceases to amaze me!

 

“What are you doing behind here?” Brian sits on the sill next to me. “You’re doing the hiding thing again.”

 

“It’s not hiding. I am taking a strategic position out of the line of cameras. This is Cassia’s show and…”

 

“Hey. Breathe. I know.” He puts his hand under my shirt and slowly untucks it so he can stroke my back. “Feeling better?”

 

“Mmm. But I am mad at you.” He stops stroking and raises an eyebrow. I raise mine back and wait for stroking to recommence. “You didn’t tell me you have the copyright on all of my illustrations....for example Revenge of the Sidekick.”

 

“Ah so you eavesdropped and heard him bitching about the cease and desist?”

 

“It’s not eavesdropping when his whisper is as loud as it is!” I lean over and kiss him softly and then run my tongue over his bottom lip. “So when we get back home...you are in big trouble.”

 

“Don’t you mean hotel?” He grins.

 

“No, home, as in Britin...like I said big trouble!” I wiggle away from him and he pouts. “Stop pouting or there will be no kissing either!”

 

I have never seen him smile so fast in my life!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks