- Text Size +

CHAPTER 49 - SCREAMING, SCHEMING AND SEEING IS BELIEVING

 

MICHAEL

 

“Michael, will you hold still?! I can’t get it off with you thrashing your head like that!” Lindsay yells.

 

I’m in fucking agony and she’s shouting at me, how is that helpful or sympathetic?! I am going to fucking have him arrested for assault! Oh, this fucking hurts!

 

Finally, after what seems like hours she get the gag off me and immediately I wipe my tongue on my sleeve to clean it off. It doesn’t help. I run up the steps and hammer on the door, drooling as I daren’t swallow!

 

“Yes?” Blake asks nonchalantly, whilst keeping his weight behind the door.

 

“Blake…” I dribble. “I’m begging you...! I’m on fire!”

 

“Ted, can you get something for him please?!” A few minutes, but feels like hours, later a glass comes through and I grab it and swallow it down without pause. Big mistake! Its ice cold and that makes the situation a lot worse.

 

“Oh God!” I flap my hand frantically, trying to cool my mouth.

 

“Ted, you naughty boy. You know its only milk that cools the heat of spice. Be nice, he’s in so much pain...though not as much pain as he will be later.”

 

A glass of milk comes through and I inhale it...and that does the trick. I shove the glass back at Blake. “Tell Emmett that I’m going to have his ass for this!” I shout.

 

Blake steps outside so quickly that I almost fall down the stairs stepping back.

 

“You won’t be having Emmy’s ass! In fact, you won’t be having anybody’s ass. Nobody wants a manky-wanky bottom boy like you anywhere near them! Now while you still can, slither back under that rock and await the orders of your mendacious monstress you fucked up myrmidon!”

 

“Michael!” Lindsay shrieks. “Come on! Let’s not make this anymore humiliating than it already is!!”

 

Keeping an eye on Blake and for anybody else who might decide to attack me, I get to the cab and get in.

 

RUTH

 

Ted looks positively feral right now!

 

“Teddy, maybe you and Blake should go pash out in the back for a minute, cool your fire a little?” Arno laughs.

 

“Pash out? What does that mean?” Justin asks, nibbling on a slice of melon.

 

“How do you not know what that is when you do it so often?!” Emmy giggles.

 

“Okay Ric Flair, so what is it?” Blake asks, who looks equally confused.

 

Ric Flair...I have better sartorial taste thank you very much! However, I shall forgive your faux pas because of the majestic way you dealt with them. But back to the answer to your question...to pash means to kiss amorously.”

 

“Okay, does anybody else find it odd that Emmy knows who Ric Flair is?” Ben laughs.

 

“We watch wrestling in bed....” Emmy smirks. “...and then we wrestle. Baby, there is a pin move I could show you...fully dressed and with you present!” Emmy holds up his hands in the face of the fabled glare this time with flared nostrils!

 

“Nice save! Now, like twat here, I’ve never heard of that but I do love doing it. Shall we...?” Brian arches a brow and Justin tries to take him upstairs.

 

“Hold it you two!” Jennifer orders. “No pashing upstairs for you. Stay where we can see you!”

 

Suddenly Mel bursts out laughing. “Oh my God, do you remember when Michael went to France?!”

 

“Michael went to France?!” I am incredulous. “When?”

 

“Oh, years ago. He was going out with this really pompous ass called David Cameron and he took him to Paris. When they came back, we had to sit through this slideshow, yes actual slides! But Brian and Justin found some other way to pass their time!”

 

“God, I remember that! I smacked Brian on the back of his head and in typical fashion, he said it’s French we’re Frenching!” She sighs somewhat sadly. “You know that was the only time he really focused on someone else. Sorry Ben, but it was.”

 

“Why?” I can’t imagine anyone taking his focus off of Brian!

 

“Because David was everything that Brian wasn’t and still isn’t. David treated Michael like a…”

 

“A child? Trophy wife?” Emmy interrupts from the stove.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“At the leaving party, they had a massive row because David wasn’t letting him do anything to help with the move.”

 

“Oh I see. Well, come to think about it, he did a bit. He completely focused on Michael and made him feel cherished. But in the end he still couldn’t compete with Brian, not even on the other side of the country.”

 

I give a whimper that gets Jennifer’s attention. “You okay, Ruth?”

 

“Yeah, it’s just I’ve seen the crackling. I love crackling, can never get it like that though.” I lick my lips.

 

“Crackling?!” Justin calls from the sofa. “Brian let go! It’s crackling!” He declares and then giggles.

 

“Promise to pick prime pieces?” He asks as he carries him to the kitchen but doesn't put him down, despite his wriggling.

 

“Yes!”

 

“Good.” He grins and plonks him next to Emmy by the stove. He returns to his seat and waits with a small contented smile.

 

Under the table, Arno gives my thigh a squeeze and I swallow my tears. Baby TK is going to be so loved by those two!

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - EARLY EVENING

 

BATHROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

I had wondered what Blake meant and now I do! Lindsay didn't say much in the cab and went straight to her room when we got in. I had cystitis once and that didn't hurt as much as pissing just now did! I am dripping in sweat and shaking! What the hell was that sauce?! Finally, I head to her room to discuss our next move.

 

“Lindsay, can I come in?”

 

Silence.

 

“Lindsay?” I call and knock harder.

 

Silence.

 

“I’m just opening the door, okay?! Want to check that you are alright!” I poke my head around and the room is empty. I go to the lounge and she’s not there either, nor is she in the garden. I'm just about to phone her when I spot a note on the front door. She’s gone to stay with friends as she is so distraught. She’s not sure when she’s coming back but it will be before the weekend!

 

“Selfish much?!” I shout at the ceiling. Sitting down hard on the desk chair has me standing up so fast that I bang my knee on the desk. “Great, just fucking great!”

 

I limp to the sofa and switch on the TV. Perfect, a Hulk marathon...now just to order some Chinese!

 

OMNI BEDFORD SPRINGS HOTEL, SAME TIME

 

LINDSAY’S SUITE

 

LINDSAY

 

I wrap the dressing gown tightly around me and check my reflection. I look exhausted! I am still jittery from the fracas earlier, so open the bottle of wine, pour a large glass and sink into the sofa.

 

After his behaviour at his mother’s house, I just could not stand to be in his company! All he had to fucking do was sit there and accept the brickbats, but no! He had to open his mouth and insult the very person we need to keep on side! If we could’ve kept Brian on side, we would’ve been fine!

 

When we are finally in Britin, I am sending him as far away as...and then it hits me...of course! What I need to do is get Brian’s focus back on Michael! The best way to do that is by putting him in emotional danger. And there is no one that pushed that button for Brian when it came to Michael more than David Cameron!

 

Tapping my nails on my glass, I try to formulate a plan. First things first, find him!

 

An hour later, I have finally located him and he’s still in Portland but now is the Head of the Chiropractic Unit of Gateway Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre and from what I can see...single. Fluffing up my hair, I place a call. Forty minutes later, I sink back into the sofa and feel better.

 

Michael is not going to believe his luck!

 

RUTH’S CONDO - THURSDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

My heart is hammering in my chest and although he looks calm, I know that he’s nervous too. I reach over and still his bouncing knee.

 

“Guys will you relax! Baby TK is absolutely fine!” Ruth smiles.

 

“Baby TK?” I echo and look at Brian, who has that grin again. “Why T...oh, oh!”

 

“Mr 1500 SATs does have moments of inopportune density!”  Brian snickers. I swat him in the chest and then settle in his arms. His heart is hammering less now.  “So why are we here then?”

 

“The twelve week scan is on the Friday before your blessing and we just wanted to know what you wanted to do afterwards?” Arno asks.

 

“Do? What do you mean do?” I don’t understand.

 

“Seriously?!” Brian grumbles. “He wants to know if we want to tell the family or not?”

 

I blush to the roots of my hair before clearing my throat. “Well since they are not going to be there at all, we could tell them…” I trail off, trying to figure a way of saying this.

 

“But we don’t want to.” Brian gives me a gentle squeeze.

 

“Oh, thank fuck for that!” Ruth sighs in relief. “Don’t get me wrong, I love Jen and Debs...everyone, well mostly… But my mom mollycoddling me is going to be bad enough! She knows full well I am not going anywhere near N’Awlins so she’s already in New York making herself at home.” She shudders for emphasis but nobody is buying it. Slowly she cracks a smile. “Okay, she’s going to fuss me and I’m looking forward to it! But the best thing ever is that Hanno is truly scared of her. She’s got more than a few words to say to him and that creature feature of a wife of his! And believe you me…she will!

 

“I’ve been reading up on a few things…” I look across at Arno. “They kick in between four to six months.”

 

“What do?” He and Ruth exchange confused looks.

 

“The boobs and heightened sex drive.”

 

“Yes!” He exclaims.

 

MEL’S HOUSE - SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

It feels very weird to be bound by a common cause with Ronald and Nancy but then again, this is Lindsay we are talking about!

 

“I can’t understand why?” Nancy suddenly blurts out. “To this day, I just don’t understand it!”

 

The room goes quiet and I can feel my anger rising, Ben reaches over to squeeze my hand. Be calm he mouths at me. Thankfully, Gus is in the garden with Gummy and his daddies.

 

“What exactly?” I ask.

 

“Why didn’t you fight her harder? I admired you when you came to the house and rightfully told us off. But on everything else, you didn’t fight. And she didn’t respect you because of it! Why did you let her get away with so much?”

 

Admired me...she admired me?!

 

“The same reason you did.” Carl says. “At the end of the day, you hope if you give and give that they will change. But children like Lindsay, who has had everything she wanted given to her, just don’t accept the word no.”

 

“We never said enough to either of them.” Ronald admits. “But with Lindsay being the beauty of the two, she lorded it over…”

 

“Wait what is the this you are talking about, Nancy?” Jennifer interrupts.

 

Nancy sighs, looking at me. “You fight for everyone’s rights, but you never fought for your own.”

 

“My own?” I frown as I have no idea what the hell she’s talking about!

 

“You are magnificent in court! The Mallinger case for example... I was so cross when she lost custody! That’s why I told her to contact your firm because I knew you would be the best person.”

 

“M-Mallinger! You recommended me to her?!” I squeak...not my finest moment!

 

She nods eagerly. “Well not exactly. But Aned Maharaba, that was all me!” She looks so proud. “Oh, that was a travesty! I couldn’t believe it when it went to a second hearing! But again, you came through and got the justice she deserved. You know, I was so cross and fit to be tied that Ronald had to take me out of the country before I started to make calls!”

 

“Nancy? You go to watch Mel in court?” Jennifer asks astonished and Nancy goes bright red before nodding.

 

“Only in the cases...”

 

“Not exactly?” Carl interrupts. “You said not exactly about Mallinger. If you didn’t recommend her, then who did?”

 

“Oh I did, but I was just prodded in the right direction.” She takes a deep breath. “I am guilty of treating people as the help as much as Lindsay. Well one day my friends and I were in the car talking about the unfairness of a custody trial and…”

 

“Ruth?” Carl chuckles.

 

“Yes.” Nancy smiles so warmly that I’m surprised. “She said that she could recommend a firm and then I did the rest. I didn’t think much of her after that. It wasn’t until after I spoke to Lynette at that wedding that I put two and two together.”

 

“Well fuck me!” Debs breathes.

 

“Language!” Nancy and Ronald say together and then burst out laughing. “You deserve better Mel and I hope you find it.” She squeezes my hand.

 

“Thank you Nancy. I think I have.” I smile back...this is so surreal!

 

The doorbell ringing heralds the arrival of the reason we are all here. “Get Gus now or let her come in and then get Gus?” I feel sick to my stomach.

 

“You stop that guilt tripping shit right now!” Debs orders. “This ain’t on you; it’s all her! Let her stew outside a bit…” She grins. “Let’s see if she’s on her own or with that asshole of a son of mine! Unfortunately, he has one nasty little habit…”

 

“Habit?” Ronald echoes.

 

“Yeah. He seems to think if he leans on the doorbell hard enough, it opens quicker.” Carl sneers.

 

Suddenly Jennifer springs up and adjust the blinds...very slowly. “What are you doing?” I demand.

 

“That way she can’t see in!” She smiles.

 

A minute later, the doorbell is being leant on. “Yeah, he’s with her!” I sigh and go and open the door.

 

BRIAN

 

I heard the doorbell go and we waited for Mel to call us in but when she didn’t I assumed it was someone else. But then the bell rang for longer. Justin takes Gus’s hand and I take Gummy, who has taken to calling me Brin...it’s a start, and we head inside.

 

When we get to the lounge both Michael and Lindsay are there.

 

“Gus, oh Gus!” Lindsay gushes as she virtually snatches him away from Justin. “You look wonderful and…”

 

“Mommy! You sawed me a couple of weekends ago.” Gus manages to extricate himself from her grip and goes back to Justin, who just about keeps the smug look off of his face. Lindsay fails to keep the look of annoyance off of hers though.

 

Gus then looks at Ronald and Nancy carefully. “Hello. You’re new. I’m Gus.”

 

“H-hello Gus, I’m N-Nancy and this is Ronald.”

 

“You have eyes like my mommy.”

 

“Gus…” Lindsay begins.

 

“That’s because I’m her mommy and he’s her daddy.”

 

“Really?!” Gus exclaims. “Do you know my daddies and momma?”

 

“Yes, yes we do. We know everyone here. Well almost...” Ronald replies.

 

“Do you know Gummy? She’s my sister over there chewing on daddy’s shirt. She has hurty gums.”

 

“And her actual name is…” Michael starts, but one eviscerating look from Carl is all it took to silence him.

 

“Gus? Mommy and Uncle Michael have something to tell you...”

 

“Oh, your rings twinkle too!” Gus exclaims peering at Nancy’s fingers. “So pretty! Mommy doesn’t have twinkly rings like you and my daddies but I’m sure if she asks really nicely, she can get at least one.”

 

“Gus, sweetheart, I really need you to listen to me...”

 

“Okay mommy.” He goes back to sit in Justin’s lap and again the twitch of annoyance from Lindsay.

 

“You know your christening is coming soon?”

 

“Yes. It’s after my daddies blessed ceremony.”

 

Blessing.” Justin corrects him gently.

 

“Yes that.” She says through clenched teeth before continuing in that voice she uses when she’s trying to evoke compassion from the listener. Hey, I’m in advertising; we thrive on injecting inflections to make a point. And she’s trying to evoke sympathy from Gus. “Well unfortunately, Uncle Michael and I won’t be able to come because…”

 

“That’s okay, mommy. We will take lots of pictures and shared them with you, won’t we papa?” I resist the urge to laugh aloud as Gus summarily dismisses the fact that they won’t be there.

 

Share. And yes we will.” He replies.

 

“Oh, I know!” Gus cries before turning to Nancy and Ronald. “You can come instead! Do you like dogs?”

 

“Dogs?” Ronald looks around.

 

“Yes, Frick and Frack. They're not here but they will be there. They have twinkly collars for the day. Daddy helped me choose them…”

 

“Gus, are you sure you're okay with this?” Lindsay tries again to get him to focus on her, even though she must be in shock.

 

“Yes mommy. It's only one day. You went away for 10 sleeps and I never cried once. Are you going away with that man again?”

 

“No. The reason we can't come is…”

 

“Neither here nor there.” Jennifer interrupts. “Gus has accepted it so let’s leave it at that.”

 

The oven timer dings and that brings Mel out of her shocked stupor.

 

“So will you come then?” Gus asks them eagerly.

 

“Yes, yes we will.” Ronald answers quietly while Nancy just nods.

 

“Goody!” He grins before turning to Mel. “Was that the bell for my cookies?”

 

“Yes sweetheart. Do you want to help momma put them on the rack?”

 

“Yes please! Bye mommy! Bye Uncle Michael! See you next weekend!” He yells, racing ahead of Mel to the kitchen.

 

Ben stands up and steps towards them. “Goodbye Lindsay, goodbye Michael.”

 

They walk out, especially Lindsay, as if catatonic. Jennifer watches them leave before adjusting the blinds again.

 

“Did I see and hear what I think I saw and heard?” Debs looks incredulous.

 

“Yes.” Nancy finally finds her voice. “We…” She clears her throat. “Are delighted to accept the invitation from Gus. If it still stands?”

 

“It still stands.” Mel replies.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks