- Text Size +

CHAPTER 51- GUESS WHO’S COMING FOR DINNER

 

TAYLOR-KINNEY HQ - THURSDAY MID-AFTERNOON

 

ROOF TOP

 

BRIAN

 

I can’t help the snort of laughter that bubbles up when I think of the times that Michael was with David. At first he was like a nervous school boy, then he became a prick and finally, a failure when he was sent home with his tail tucked between his legs.

 

“Hey, how’s your ass?” I smirk at Justin, who spent most of the meeting with the Rage people standing up because as well as the hickeys, we made love most of last night and this morning. So glad that we finally exorcised the Ian Demon; I feel closer to him now more than ever!

 

“Shush you!” He grumbles then pads over with a couple of mugs of coffee and folds himself into my lap. “So what are we going to do?”

 

“About Lindsay?” I reach for the blanket and tuck it round him. He gives a little purr of thanks.

 

“Hmm.” He takes a sip of coffee and grimaces. “Ugh! Yours! How do you have no diabetes or rotten teeth when you have that much sugar?”

 

“Luck of the Irish.” I chuckle and inhale his scent. It has its usual calming effect on me. “I think we should leave it with David and Jeff to deal with. Though, it would be funny to watch it play out...”

 

“True. Although in order for it to play out they would need to be at the…” His musings are cut off by his phone. “Hi mom. No we’re just at the office.” His eyebrows shoot up. “Hang on mom, say that again.”

 

“I said Nancy and I have a theory about Lindsay. The, oh, what’s it called again Nancy? Bit player bait and switch. She’s… Well, we think she’s going to try and get David Cameron back in Michael’s…”

 

“Mother Taylor, we’re ahead of you. David called us last night to give us a heads up that Lindsay had tracked him down and was laying it on thick about how much Michael was missing him.”

 

“Oh.” Mother Taylor sounds so disappointed that I get a jab in the ribs.

 

“But do continue. Have you any ideas as to what to do about it?”

 

“Yes, a few but it will take a bit of planning and…wait a second! What do you mean he called you? Since when are you two friends?! I got the impression that you two were less than friends. In fact, I think the term sworn enemies was mentioned quite a few times.”

 

“Well people change…”

 

“How do they change?”

 

Start of flashback

GATEWAY SPORTS MEDICINE & REHABILITATION CENTRE, PORTLAND - 3 YEARS AGO

 

BRIAN

 

Of all the fucking people to be in this pitch, it has to be him! David it was only a handjob Cameron! Luckily, he came in at the end so I had them pretty much signed, sealed and delivered before he walked in. So he couldn’t sabotage me even if he wanted to. Now to get the fuck out of here!

 

“Dr Finch, thank you. Our legal department will be in touch to finalise contracts and…”

 

“I wish to introduce you to one of our new colleagues. This is Dr David Cameron. Dr David Cameron, this is Brian Kinney. He represents VanGuard and will be our go to man for the next advertising campaign.”

 

“Really?” He smarms and we shake hands. I resist the temptation to heave and wipe my hand on his suit! “Well I look forward to working with you on future advertising since I will be doing the final sign off.”

 

Oh great! What a fucking soul sucking joy that’s going to be!

 

“Well we both will. We are joint heads of the department, after all.” Dr Finch corrects somewhat sharply, causing him to colour up slightly. “Now we’re going to drinks and dinner. Perhaps you could join us David, and get to know Brian better?”

 

We both look as horrified as each other, but I hide mine before Dr Finch turns back to face me but his doesn’t go unnoticed.

 

“Problem?” Dr Finch queries.

 

“No, nothing at all.” He lies smoothly.

 

“Marvellous! Let’s go then.”

 

HIGGINS BAR AND RESTAURANT, DOWNTOWN - AN HOUR LATER

 

DR HOWARD FINCH

 

That’s the third man that has looked Kinney’s way and it's almost imperceptible, but he shakes his head at him. And this seems to bother David immensely, but why? I tap his hand and tell him to help with some drinks.

 

“Okay, who spat in your cereal?” I demand. “You’ve been brooding ever since you met Kinney.”

 

“I know him. I used to be friends with a friend of his.”

 

“Ah I see. Well, try and be professional; you are coming across as a sulky child...much to his amusement.”

 

After I have my drink, I stand. “Well gentlemen, I take my leave of you.” They both look ill at ease with this development and I sigh. “Work out your differences because you are going to be working together and I do not like squabbling.”

 

Kinney raises an eyebrow but says nothing.

 

DAVID

 

I fiddle with my glass as for some reason, I am thrown by the silence. The Kinney I know is brash and arrogant. He’s not quiet and definitely doesn't turn down four tricks in a row.

 

“Is this your professional game face?”

 

“Nope.” He replies shortly, scanning the room. This is more like it.

 

“I see you’ve not changed, still on the hunt. I was worried you had lost your edge after the 4th.”

 

“Nope. Just not interested.” He replies, signalling the waiter for another drink. When he returns, Brian hands him a card and whispers something to him, before smirking, knocking back his drink and getting up. “Let’s keep our conversations to emails and we’ll be fine.”

 

“Hold it. Why did you dislike me so much?”

 

“I didn’t. I disliked what you turned Michael into, though I did admire you when you sent him home. I don't think I would've done it.” I must be gaping at him because he gives a genuine, if small, smile. “Yeah, don't tell anyone.”

 

“I won't. They wouldn't believe me anyway.” I smile back and I’m surprised when he sits back down again.

 

“Do they know you're gay?”

 

“They suspect, but operate under the don't ask don't tell rule. So I say nothing. I suspect you think me a coward?” I wait for his biting retort but instead he laughs.

 

“Oh fuck me, you've turned into Michael!” He snorts and against my will, I start to laugh.

 

“Oh shit! I’m outing myself first thing in the morning!” I regard him again. “I shouldn't have blamed you, but it was easier.”

 

He shrugs. “He’s married, well in the eyes of Canadian law, to a professor who is basically you but better looking and more boring and unlike, I suspect, Michael, a fantastic bottom.”

 

“Thanks” I retort before snickering. “So the husband, I’m going to go with White Party out of town?” He nods and then frowns. “Michael followed you everywhere, if it was in Pittsburgh he’d know.”

 

“True but it was also before he met him. He didn’t react well.”

 

“I’ll bet. I still remember his face during King of Babylon. He looked so fucked off that Justin won…” I stop mortified. “Brian, I’m sorry!”

 

“What for?”

 

“Well after everything that happened... Do you know where he is now? How he’s doing?”

 

He smirks and before he drains his glass, he tells me, “He’s the reason I’m not interested. As for where he is, he’s back at the hotel. He went around the art district after recovering from the fucking I gave him before the meeting.”

 

My jaw drops. “But you gave the waiter your card!”

 

“Nope. Gave him your card for the guy over there who's been staring at you ever since you came in. Told him to come over when I leave. Have fun, doc.” He chortles and after putting some money down, saunters off.

 

“Kinney!” I hiss at his retreating back. “You’re not serious?!”

 

“Hi. My name is Jeff…”

End of flashback

 

BRIAN

 

“...so after that dinner. He called me the next day to tell me that I was still the fucking bastard he thought me to be but thank you. They’ve been married for over a year. And when I started Kinnetic, he moved over to us from VanGuard. He was one of the first to jump ship, actually.”

 

“Mom? You still there.” Justin asks, making me wince slightly as he puts his cold hand under my top. I give him a shove and nod towards the door and he gets up. “Hang on mom, we’re going back inside. It’s starting to rain and we’re…” He trails off when I shake my head, then mouths sorry. I mouth back twat.

 

LOFT

 

I look at his hand and now know why he was trying to warm up. I head to the kitchen and fill the kettle for his hot water bottle. As he continues to talk to Mother Taylor about their plans, he starts to laugh.

 

As he wraps up the call, he flexes his fingers. “Twat.” I whisper in his ear then massage his hand to ease the cramp that started because he got cold. “So what have they hatched?”

 

“Who…” He murmurs as I feel him start to sink back against me. “Oh, I gave them David’s number and they are going to hatch it out with them.”

 

“Uh huh. You are going to sleep, aren’t you?”

 

“No.” He objects, his eyes flying back open. Another five minutes later, they start to drift back closed and within 10 minutes, he’s sleeping. I carry him to bed and after making sure his hot water bottle is in place, I head back down to the lounge to grab my phone to call Mother Taylor. “Okay, so what are you two up to?” I chuckle as she tells me of their plans.

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - FRIDAY MORNING

 

LINDSAY’S BEDROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

“Lindsay Peterson. David! How lovely to hear from you! I’m fine, thank you.” I fist pump in delight. “How have you been? Oh, that’s good to hear. Presently, I’m between positions. I used to be at Bloom and then at Carnegie, teaching. Michael? He’s okay...regretful, but okay...I think he wishes that he tried harder with you.” I listen to him blather on about what he’s been up to and I’m reminded of how boring he is. But the one thing he was always able to do was contain Michael and that’s just what I need... for him to be is fucking contained... in Portland!

 

After 30 minutes or so, we finally arrange for him to call Michael in an hour.

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO - TWO HOURS LATER

 

JENNIFER

 

We’ve got a date, hopefully, set up between Michael and David for this weekend. It’s such a shame that everyone is going to be around to see him attempt to corral David back with his dubious charm. But right now, I have a pair of nervous Noras in my house, as Emmy Lou would describe them.

 

“Nancy, Ronald, you want to spit it out?”

 

“Well, it’s just…” Nancy starts. “We were wondering what the protocol for the blessing ceremony? Is there a gift list and…”

 

“There is no protocol, no presents and wear your best outfit. Oh, and be prepared for some very public displays of affection from Brian towards Justin.”

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT

 

LINDSAY

 

I made a point of going out, leaving Michael alone so I can be surprised when he tells me about it.

 

“Michael, you in?!” I call out. “I have brought some stuff from Delicious Foods!”

 

“Lounge!” He calls back and I can hear the excitement in his voice.

 

“Well you’re in a good mood. What’s happened?”

 

“You are not going to believe who just called me to ask me to go to dinner!”

 

“Brian?!”

 

“No, sadly not yet. But David!”

 

“David?”

 

“David Cameron, my ex; the one that went to Portland!”

 

“Well fuck me! How did he find you? What did he say? What’s he doing? So exciting!”

 

He tells me about their conversation and it turns out they are going to dinner on Sunday evening and he’s asked Michael to pick the place.

 

“So where are you going to go?”

 

“No idea. You remember what David’s like. He likes the expensive things…”

 

“Oh, I know just the place. Why not go to Heavenly? They do have a restaurant.” He frowns and I have to fight not to shake him. “It would...wait a second.” I make a show of checking my phone. “Oh Michael, you have to go! Guess who is going to be present?” He shrugs and is starting to look on the laptop for another the restaurant choice. “Brian is going to be there on Sunday…”

 

This finally gets his fucking attention! “How’d you know that?” He demands.

 

“I was in Delicious Foods and overheard Jennifer talking to a friend about it. They are doing a last fucking hurrah dinner for some reason! So shall I book it, then?”

 

“Absolutely!” He smiles. “Let me know the time and I’ll let David know.”

 

BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

“What’s up doc?” I shake my head at their continued brattiness. “Okay, no problem. Sunshine, you awake?!” I bellow.

 

“Huh? What?” He mumbles sleepily and then I hear him padding down towards the sofa. I snicker as he plonks down with his eyes closed and rests his head in my lap.

 

“Heavenly for dinner on Sunday.”

 

“Okay, but why?”

 

“Michael and David have a date.”

 

“Wonder if Bitchzilla’s going to be there too?” He yawns.

 

“Of course she will be. Michael is going on a date to supposedly fuck me off. She’ll need to manage it.”

 

“I need to call mom.”

 

“You need to do your hand exercises; I’ll call mom.” He grins up at me raising an eyebrow. “Shut up twat!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks