- Text Size +

CHAPTER 52 - GETTING TO KNOW THE GRANDPARENTS AND HEAVENLY DINNER

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - SATURDAY LATE MORNING

 

DEBS

 

“Shall we pack the popsicles just incase?” Carl calls from the kitchen.

 

“Yes! I’m packing a pair of Wuffy-fluffies each.” I smile, folding them. “Oh I think a bottle of wine for us. I think we should still have the ones that Ruth left.

 

“A bottle?” He queries, laughing. “We’re going to be with those two and…”

 

“And Jennifer. Speak of the devil! Hi Jen! We’re just finishing off the packing, great minds think alike. What? Are you serious? Okay, we’ll bring two! See you later.”

 

“What’s wrong?” Carl touches my arm as I had gone stock still on hearing her words.

 

“Uh, yeah. Nothing. Well I don't think there is anything wrong, per se.”

 

“Debs?”

 

“Lindsay’s parents are going to be there too.”

 

“Wow.”

 

“I was thinking more along the lines of oh fuck me!” I chuckle.

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I can't wait for tomorrow! Lindsay and Sam are coming too, but will be at a different table. We’ve agreed not to mention the dinner to anyone else. No need to as an angry Brian will make sure that gets around in no time! I smile because I still have the last lot of clothes he bought me and they fit. Wonder if he will remember the leather jacket.

 

“She’s here!” Lindsay calls out and heads to the door. “Hello Mel. Hi Gus!”

 

“Hi mommy!” Gus cries, coming in with his rucksack. “Hello Uncle Michael.”

 

“Hi Gus.” I reply as Lindsay comes in, struggling with their stuff. “No Ben?”

 

“No.” She huffs. “Weren't your folks supposed to be keeping watch on us so that I don’t manipulate my son?”

 

“My mother and her fiancé were supposed to be here; looks like they changed their minds.” I reply, looking behind her for Mel. “Where’s...?”

 

“I had to get her out of the seat. Do you have any popsicles? More teething trauma for our Gummy.”

 

“No, but we’ve got to get some more stuff to make up another batch for JR.” I retort, taking her out of Mel’s arms and immediately she starts to cry louder. “Why didn't you bring some with you?”

 

“I did but she had both of them. And naturally, but obviously foolishly, I assumed you would have food for your daughter.” Mel scowls at me. “Let me call Debs to see if she’s got some she can bring, just to tide her over.”

 

Lindsay goes to open the door and I hear his voice calling Ma to hurry up.

 

“Oh dear! Teething or nappy?” Carl asks, tickling her under the chin.

 

“Ganka!” She whimpers, reaching for him and without so much as a by-your- leave, he takes her out of my arms! She buries her head in his neck and grizzles.

 

“Teething.” I grit out.

 

“Debs, you’re a lifesaver!” Mel cries out and hands Carl the popsicle and the moment she spots it, she stops crying and opens her mouth.

 

“Okay you two need to go the shops…” Mel turns to us.

 

“Why?” Lindsay and I exchange looks at her bossy tone.

 

“You said you needed to get some stuff for the popsicles. So…”

 

“It doesn't take both of us.” I state, heatedly.

 

“Come on Michael, we needs to get some wine anyway.” Lindsay tells me firmly.

 

SUPERMARKET - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

I had to get out of there! What with Mel being a bitch and Gum...JR crying, my head was starting to pound. “So what do you want red or white?” I ask him.

 

“I’ll just get some beer. I’m glad we’re out of there while she’s screaming the place down. She does get loud!” He smirks.

 

“Wonder where she gets it from.” I smile, only half teasing. “Oh, you are kidding me!” I groan as I look out of the store. It is bucketing down. “I was hoping to let Gus run off some steam in the garden! And I don’t have an umbrella with me! Let’s wait it out a bit.”

 

Everyone else seems to have the same idea. There’s quite a crowd underneath the awning and there is a free for all when taxis go by. After about an hour, we finally get one but still get drenched as it pulls up.

 

“If any of them start on me when I get in, I shall lose it!” I grouse.

 

BACK AT THE APARTMENT - 40 MINUTES LATER

 

When we get back, I am brought up short as I can hear Jennifer’s voice. “Did you know she was coming?” I whisper. He looks fed up and just shakes his head. “Hopefully, she won’t be staying long!”

 

“We’re just putting the groceries away!” I call out to them. “It was bedlam out there when it started to rain and people were dashing for cabs.”

 

“Do you want a hand, dear?” I freeze and carefully put the wine down before heading into the lounge. There sitting as bold as brass is my mother!

 

“Mother! Wh-what are you doing here?” I gasp, kissing her on the cheek.

 

“Well since Gus invited us to the ceremony next week, we thought it would be a good idea to get to know him a little better. Is that a problem for you? Us getting to know our grandson and his sister?”

 

“No of course not, I’m just surprised. You’ve never shown…where’s daddy? He’s his grandson too.” I can’t resist that snipe.

 

“Gone out with Carl to get some gum boots and rainwear for Gus.”

 

“Wha…”

 

“Mel, red or white?” Debs calls out as she heads to the kitchen. “Lindsay, how long till lunch?”

 

“Red please, Debs!” Mel answers her as I stand there dumbstruck.

 

I am completely blindsided much to the amusement of Jennifer, who is looking at me with an ill-disguised smirk. “I’ll get it!” I need a drink myself! I sigh in relief as Debs sits back down. “Won’t be long!” When I get back into the kitchen, Michael isn’t in there but I can hear him talking to someone...ah David. This makes me feel much better. Now I just need to get through a day of playing happy fucking families!

 

Once I knock back my drink, I take a deep breath. “Lunch will be another hour or two as…”

 

“An hour or two?” Jennifer gasps. “I’m not worried for myself but the children really do need to have something before that. Can’t you do a soup or something?”

 

I can feel the heat dousing my cheeks. “I can yes, but I don’t want him to ruin his appetite. I know how Gus gets when he eats too close to lunch.” I ignore the derisive snort coming from Mel’s direction.

 

“Soup will be fine Lindsay; he doesn’t have to have a big bowl.” Jennifer smiles. “Nancy, why don’t you and I give Lindsay a hand?”

 

Mother nods and they sweep past me followed by Debs, who immediately sets about putting away the groceries. Michael has yet to come back. “Where’s Michael?” Debs asks.

 

“He’s just taking a call.” I say sweetly and then there is the ear piercing shriek.

 

“Well he can stop taking the call and tend to his daughter!” She declares. “Bedroom’s this way?” I just nod and within seconds, Michael is in the kitchen and being ordered to fix something for Gum...dammit!... JR to eat.

 

“Is it breathing still?” Mel leans against the door, looking amused. “Bit parched here.”

 

“Should you be drinking and driving.” I simper.

 

“Not driving. AngelCars is picking us up later.”

 

“Us? Who’s us?” Michael demands.

 

“Me and the kids of course. I can’t stay tonight so they’re coming home with me. Marie’s going to take them overnight.”

 

“But why can’t they stay with us?” I’m astounded.

 

“Because you’ve lost that right.” Jennifer answers coolly. “Now where’s the soup?”

 

“Lost that...now just who the hell…?”

 

“Lindsay, you will not address Jennifer in that manner!” Mother interrupts me sharply. “Now answer her question about the soup.” I mutely point to the cupboard. “Thank you. Gus! Can you come here for a moment?”

 

“Coming Nana Nancy!” Gus calls back.

 

NANA NANCY??!!!!

 

“I don’t think I will tire of hearing that.” She smiles...an actual reaches her eyes smile! “Gus, we’re going to do you a small bowl of soup while waiting for lunch to cook. Would you like crackers or a small slice of bread with it?”

 

“Crackers please.” He replies and then goes back into the lounge.

 

“So what is for lunch?” Debs asks. “Michael, will you go and feed Gummy before she starts to scream the place down! And Mel, here you open this. Nancy, Jen you guys want a glass too?”

 

“Aren’t you going to get that?” Mother asks. “It’s most likely Carl and Ronald unless you are expecting someone else?”

 

I open the door and it is them carrying bags and laughing and joking.

 

“Hello daddy. What’s in there?” I need to take control of this situation, especially in my house!

 

“Hello Lindsay. Rainwear and a warm jumper for Gus. We’re going to take him into the garden to jump in muddy puddles since it doesn’t look like the rain is going to let up.”

 

“Daddy, I would prefer it if you didn’t. He might catch cold and…”

 

“Nonsense, he will be fine! Especially if he has the same constitution now as you did then. The amount of times we had to dash out to grab her and put clothes on her when she was his age! She was quite the exhibitionist, to say the least.” He smiles at me and I want to die of mortification!

 

“Ronald, really!” Mother laughs...genuinely laughs! “So Lindsay, again what’s for lunch? It smells nice.”

 

“It’s baked risotto with pan roasted chicken.” I mutter, heading back into the kitchen, feeling vaguely like I’ve entered the fucking Twilight Zone. “Please go back into the lounge so I can finish off lunch.”

 

“Of course, dear. Ronald, Carl why not take Gus out now? I doubt lunch will be more than an hour. I’ll send Michael in to help you. You know the theory of two pairs of hands being better than one and all...” Mother railroads me...again!

 

Michael comes in a few minutes later, wiping throw up off of his jumper. “Can you believe this shit Mel is pulling?” He exclaims.

 

“Unfortunately, yes I can!” I hiss back. “But let’s not dwell on that now. Let’s just have as nice a time as we can and then when they’re gone, we can strategise about tomorrow.”

 

LOUNGE

 

NANCY

 

I exchange a small smile with Mel and she moves to sit next to me. “So what are you up to Nana Nancy?” I look at her innocently as I can. “I know that gleam. Lindsay would get it whenever she got Brian and me to have a fight.”

 

“Patience, my dear. All will be revealed. All will be revealed.”

 

I pat her hand and clink her glass.

 

BRITIN - SUNDAY LATE MORNING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

He lowers his head and sucks my tongue into his mouth before finding every crevice of mine. “Close your eyes.” He orders gently.

 

They flutter shut as he slowly cants his hips and then kisses my lids. He’s never kissed me there before. “But-butterfly kisses. I like.” I murmur before opening them and find his blue ones sparkling down at me.

 

“Want me to go quicker?”

 

“No, I want to be lazily m-made l-love to.” I moan as he grinds his hips.

 

“Good, that’s what I intend to do.” He bends to claim my mouth again and for some reason, I’m reminded of the first time he topped me and I tug on his hair. “Hey, I was enjoying myself.”

 

“Why did you top me?”

 

“When? Can we narrow this down a bit?” I swat his ass gently and he goes still, so I clench hard. He groans and bites his tongue until he can think clearly. “Oh no, don’t do that; I can’t last if you do that.” He looks hot when he’s horny and pouting so I relax a bit. He can’t quite last as long as me, but he can hold his hard on for a while without moving. Admittedly, we both can last longer with condoms on but there is no way we’re going back to them!

 

“So why did you decide to top me the first time?” I wrap my legs tighter around him and bear down on his cock. His breath catches. “Good?”

 

“Uh-huh! Again.” He demands, breathily. “Mmmm. Be-because I wanted to. I wanted to...ahaaa...the next morning after the first time we made love. Oh God.”

 

“Unngh...oh yes, like that. Oh so good. That would not h-have ha-ha-happened. Shit!” I groan after three particularly deep thrusts.

 

“Only because you were too horny to teach me!” He giggles. “I-I topped you then because you were ready. In your head, you were ready. I sa-saw it in your eyes that you really wanted me to. And not making a big deal about it made it easier for you to relax...oh Christ, please can I go quicker?!”

 

“Yes! Fuck yes!” I tip my ass up and bury my head in his chest as he hammers into me. I’ve not tried this position before because of our height differences but he loves it and I can feel why...it’s like a reverse deepthroat! “Oh god now!” I yell and explode and slump back, but he continues to thrust.

 

“Holy...oh! Oh! Hell yeah!” He bellows and slowly lowers himself to rest on my chest. “I’ll give you a massage when we get back from dinner. You’re going to be in agony when that position kicks in.”

 

“Uh, why can’t I have my massage before dinner?” I demand, stroking his hair.

 

“Because I want that moron to know how you walk when I’ve fucked your brains out.” He giggles sleepily.

 

“So we’re going to be having a LKT before we get to the table?” He peels his face off my chest and stares at me. “Means loving knee trembler. A knee trembler is a casual fuck and since I don’t do casual fucks with you, I put loving in front of it.”

 

“Okay, I promise to give you one LKT.” He snuggles back down and is asleep in seconds.

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - LATE AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m beyond excited! I can’t believe I get to see David after all this time! Once again, I check my outfit making sure it’s pristine. I hope that Lindsay gets Sam to smarten up a bit. We’ve decided to have drinks at the bar together first before going to our respective tables. She’s even managed to book one near to Brian, so I will be able to see his reaction first hand! I think back to how annoyed he was about us dating. Now I know how he felt but with Boy Wonder it still, in my opinion, won’t last.

 

“Michael! Stop daydreaming and answer your phone!” Lindsay laughs.

 

“Hi David! How are you? Great. I’m looking forward to it. Where are you staying? It’s just that Heavenly is on the other side of Pittsburgh so...okay. We’ll see you in the bar at half six.”

 

Lindsay is smirking at me from the door. “You are like a schoolgirl on her first date!”

 

“Sssh!” I laugh. “So is Sam coming still?”

 

“Yes and I’ve told him to wear a suit and tie.  He wasn’t happy but I managed to persuade him it was a good idea!”

 

“I’ll bet.” I snort while inwardly shuddering at the image that brought to mind.

 

“Right, let’s get freshened up. Time to go on our double date!”

 

HEAVENLY RETREATS, DINING ROOM & BAR - 2 HOURS LATER

 

DAVID

 

Wow this place is stunning! I can see why Lindsay picked it. There is no way that Michael would’ve picked this place. Brian actually laughed when I told him where we were going. He said he’d explain later. Right now, I’m waiting for the malevolent morons, as Justin calls them, amongst other things, to turn up. Lindsay is now with a guy, which is just odd, completely odd. But then again, she is odd!

 

Ah here they come...he’s still not learned to walk like a grown up, I see. Okay, game face on!

 

“Michael! Lindsay! How lovely to see you again after all this time. I think this calls for champagne!”

 

“David, you look very well. This is my dear friend Sam. Sam, this is David Cameron.”

 

“Nice to meet you, David.” The scruffbag answers and I resist the temptation to pick up a napkin and wipe my hand. “Be right back, need to take this call.”

 

I watch the twitch of annoyance pulse in Lindsay’s cheek. “He’s an artist and is potentially doing a show in Paris next week. I’m looking forward to going.” This seems to be news to Michael as he looks at her in surprise. “It’s not all confirmed yet.”

 

“So champagne or do you still prefer Pepsi, Michael?”

 

“You remembered.” He smiles so keenly that I’m surprised he’s not humping my leg with joy!

 

I order the champagne and we toast renewed friendships! I can feel eyes boring into the back of my head and I know it is Jeff! Although he knows what’s happening, he’s still a mite territorial when it comes to me...and I like it!

 

“So Michael, what are you doing now? I want to hear all your news since, well since that time…”

 

As he fills me, I can feel myself drifting off and thinking of when to plant our tomatoes and courgettes. I think they should go in sooner rather than later. We’ve got a huge vegetable patch to fill and… “David? David? Did you want another bottle, Sam was asking. You were miles away!” Michael laughs. “What were you thinking about?”

 

“How little you’ve changed.” I smile and the idiot takes this as a compliment. “And yes to the champagne Sam, thank you.”

 

“We’re celebrating. Paris is confirmed!” Sam crows and Lindsay looks delighted. “Now I can enjoy myself tonight. I can’t wait to get this little minx home!”

 

“Sam!” Lindsay blushes.

 

For the first time this evening, Michael and I are of the same mind...how revolting!

 

I feel my phone vibrate and make my excuses to check. On our way, get out of sight. B&J.

 

“Excuse me, I just need to make a call and then use the facilities. I won’t be long.”

 

LINDSAY

 

I keep discreetly checking the door for their arrival and here they come! I nudge Michael and he starts to check his phone, while I check my purse, Sam is on another call outside. So that takes care of him.

 

I have to admit, grudgingly, that they make a striking couple. Brian has his arm flung along his shoulders and he has an arm round his waist. I watch them strut to the table then kiss slowly before Brian makes his way to the bathroom.

 

“I hope David’s not in there!” I hiss at Michael as Justin follows Brian.

 

“No, he’s coming back with Sam.” He hisses back and I sigh in relief. This has to go perfectly!

 

“Everything okay?” I say brightly and they both nod. “Let’s finish this here. Apparently, we’re a bit too early for our tables.”

 

“Tables?” Sam frowns.

 

“Yes, I don't think they want us on the same table while they get reacquainted.”

 

“Okay.” He shrugs and pours more champagne into my glass.

 

They still haven't come back out. It can't take that long for them to get off, for crying out loud! Michael, is looking at the bathroom door too and I have to glare at him to get his focus back on David! Finally, Justin comes out and sits down at their table, which is obscured by a wall.

 

“He’s coming back.” Michael hisses and I smile. Showtime!

 

“Will you excuse me for a minute?” I trill and I head to the bathroom and when I take a quick look at their table, I am stunned. This couldn't have gone any better! Not only is Brian and Justin there but also Debs and Mel! There are other spare seats, so I wonder who else they are waiting for. I text Michael quickly and take my time, secretly hoping that Mel will come in, just so I can show her how Sam treats me! This is the life I should lead, going to places like this even if it is owned by that ghetto guttersnipe Ruth. It’s not my money I’m spending!

 

I’ve delayed as long as I can and head back to join them, making sure I avoid their table.

 

“Sorry about that. Shall we go to our tables now?”

 

“Yes, I’m looking forward to this.” David smiles, putting his hand in the small of Michael's back to steer him to the table.

 

MICHAEL

 

I can't wait to see Ma’s face when she sees David! I remember what Lindsay said and ask for the place setting to be moved so that I’m next to him instead of opposite. I take a quick look at them, but they’ve not noticed yet as they are looking at something on Emmett’s phone. I can't see their partners apart from Boy Wonder.

 

I catch Lindsay’s eye and she nods. “Excuse me, waiter!” I say loud enough for them to hear. “May we order some water?”

 

“Yes of course, sir. Let me get your server.” I look across and Mel, Emmett, Ted and Ma are just staring, shocked. But Brian is kissing Boy Wonder.

 

EMMETT

 

That can't be, surely not! I look at Ted and he’s as stunned as I am. Something is afoot! Finally, they come up for air and I watch Michael's expression... well as much as I can from the side. It’s clear that he is waiting. I can see him looking out of the corner of his eye in this direction.

 

“I can't be seeing things, can I?” Debs looks round the table.

 

“If you are then I am too!” Mel replies. “Oh, I was wondering where she was.”

 

“Who?” Debs demands, still staring at David in disbelief.

 

“Lindsay. She’s over there orchestrating from the sidelines.”

 

I spot the grinding of Brian's jaw and hope he’s not going to cause a scene! And then I look down... Baby’s hand is under his napkin, which is in his lap.

 

“Baby!” I hiss and swat his arm. “I hate to interrupt but you two need to look in front of you.”

 

MICHAEL

 

David stares at Brian and Brian stares at David. “I’m sorry David. I had no idea he was going to be here. We can move to another table if you want.” Although secretly, I hope not.

 

He turns to slowly face me and gives me a reassuring smile. “No, it’s fine Michael. He’s looking well and is that Justin with him? They are still together? I am surprised.”

 

“Yeah, so am I. But they’re married now.”

 

“Really? To each other?”

 

“Yes. Look, um, why don’t I go and soothe his, no doubt, ruffled feathers before you come over.”

 

“Yeah, why don’t you do that? I’ll wait here.”

 

“Be right back.”

 

I get up and walk across to their table. “Hi guys. How are you all?”

 

“Fine, Michael. What’s with reheating of old food?” Mel asks.

 

“Pardon?” I stare at her in confusion.

 

“You and Dr David. When did this happen?”

 

“We’ve been in touch for a while now. I didn’t want to say anything before.” I smirk at the looks of incredulity on their faces. “Yeah, I know. It was a surprise to me too when he got back in contact with me. I had no idea that you guys were going to be here for our date and…”

 

“Date?” Brian smirks.

 

“Yes date, Brian. I know you don’t like David…”

 

“I have no problem with David. Though you might as I don’t believe it is customary to be kissing another guy while his boyfriend is talking at another table.”

 

“What are you talking about?” I demand and he points behind me.

 

I turn around and my jaw hits the floor! “David! What the fuck are you doing?!” They take their time breaking apart. “I asked you a fucking question!”

 

“I am being kissed by…”

 

“I can see that! What I mean is…”

 

“What’s up, Doc?” Brian calls out.

 

“Brian. Hello everyone.” David answers back as the guy runs his fingers through his hair.

 

“Do you mind?!” I blast, stepping towards the table.

 

“Why on earth should I mind kissing my husband?” The guy replies, looking me up and down in amusement. “Shall we go?”

 

“Hus…go? What do you mean go?” I stutter.

 

“We have actual dinner plans, which does not include you. Though I will say, David’s taste has improved immensely!”

 

I look across at Lindsay, who has her own look of horror on her face. But she isn’t looking in my direction! David and his husband get up and then go across to join Brian’s table! I can feel tears of humiliation clog my chest.

 

“David, you remember everyone. Why don’t you introduce Jeff to them?” Brian sits back smiling. “And do feel free to tell them how you two met.”

 

I am trembling as I sit down alone at my table and listen horrified as David tells them how he and Brian are now friends and he’s been doing his advertising for 3 fucking years! How Brian, used his Kinney-esque charm to get him and his husband together! They listen in astonishment and keep looking across at me with pity except Hunter, who is looking at me with scorn. It’s when Justin turns to David and says that he’s going to love Britin that I get up and make my way to Lindsay’s table.

 

LINDSAY

 

I feel the coldness of failure wash over me. I look across at Brian’s table and they are laughing and joking and are joined by Jennifer and I am joined by Michael.

 

“W-Why?” I stammer, looking across at my mother.

 

“Because my dear darling princess, you deserved it. I enjoyed every minute of that; it was beautifully done. Once we realised what you were going to do, Jennifer and I worked with David to make sure it exploded in your face.”

 

“Lindsay, what’s…” Michael interrupts.

 

“Not a word!” Mother orders sharply but quietly. “She can explain to you when you get home. It’s going to be a long week for you both, especially for you Lindsay.” I just stare at her. “Because, as well the build up to their blessing ceremony, which you are not allowed to attend, I don’t think you’re going to Paris either. Well unless you’ve changed your name to Tabitha and have a gold bikini and not told us…”

 

“Tabitha?” I echo.

 

“Yes. Before I came in I heard Sam on the phone talking to Tabitha and telling her to pack that and that alone as she’s going to be loving Paris, if he lets her out of the room.”

 

I can feel my chin start to quiver but I rally as she gets up. “Are you going to sit with your new friends?”

 

She gives that tinkling laugh that I have come to loathe. “Oh no, your father and I have other plans. We’re going to New York tonight. We have outfits to get for next weekend. But you’re right, I should go and say goodbye.” She waves over her shoulder at me as she heads over to their table.

 

“Lindsay, what happened?” Michael looks bewildered and hurt.

 

“Don’t, Michael. Just don’t speak for a while, okay?”

 

Sam takes that moment to come back to the table. “Hi Michael, what are you doing here?”

 

“Before we come to that...” I whirl round on him. “Who the fuck is Tabitha and why are you taking her to Paris?!” I hiss and he looks surprised.

 

“How do you know about her?”

 

“Never mind how I know. I want to know who she is to you!” I growl.

 

“She’s my daughter.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks