- Text Size +

CHAPTER 63 - RALLY, RETREAT AND REGROUP...OR AT LEAST TRY TO

 

CARMINE

 

Whatever they are bickering about, it must be pretty bad because Debs and Ben are keeping Gus occupied in the kitchen. He was just on the way back after they wolfed down the Pavlova, but then Ben turned him around. He’s leaning against the entrance to the kitchen door jamb, ready to intervene in this latest contretemps. We both watch Daphne and Ruth stare Lindsay down and briefly, I feel sorry for her. But then there is that look again; that hateful yet determined glare and I no longer do. I adjust Gummy and she snuffles before looking round. “Where papa?” She asks and we all look surprised.

 

“Papa? Who’s…” Carl begins.

 

“There papa.” She grins and reaches out for Ben. “Bath time papa.”

 

Ben looks like he’s going to cry. I think it’s the first time she’s said that to him. I let her go so she can go to her papa and he picks her up. He smiles as she rests her head on his shoulder. “Okay little one, let’s get you bathed and in your fluffies so mommy can take you home.”

 

“Shall I come too Uncle Ben?” Gus calls out.

 

“Yeah and Xavi, can you come and help please?”

 

“O-of course. Come on Gus, bath time!”

 

As the bathroom door shuts, the first person to speak, naturally, is Lindsay. “Why didn’t you correct her? He’s not her father!” She snipes at Mel.

 

“Which is why, unless you are more cloth eared than I thought, she said papa.” Leda rebukes her. “I think she’s copying her brother. He calls Justin papa and Brian daddy so what’s the big difference?”

 

“I agree.” The look I get is lethal. “Why make more of a big deal of it than it is? Besides where is the paragon of fatherhood? Not here so…”

 

“This doesn’t concern you!” She snaps before curling her lip. “You mean that Hunter hasn’t crowed about Michael's misfortune?”

 

“Yes, it does. She’s his sister and I adore the little sweetheart.” I retort. “And no Hunner hasn't crowed about anything. From what he has told me, it sounds like daddy lost his focus.”

 

“Stop it the pair of you!” Debs orders from the kitchen. “Lindsay, surely you can see you are making too much of this? If Michael still had his rights, Ben would be called papa anyway, right?”

 

“I am defending Michael’s right as a father, which you should be! And besides them with splitting up...”

 

“The rights which he no longer has are through his own fault. As is their split...” Deb corrects her, cutting off her pseudo-sanctimonious ranting. What a harridan, that one!

 

“But as I said earlier, he’s going to fight to get them back. So Ben should know his place and…”

 

“Hah! Know his place?! This is coming from your mouth, right?!” Mel laughs bitterly and gets up to stand by the stairs. “This from the same woman who has been relentless in her campaign to be Mrs Brian Kinney In Name Only since that one time fuck a million and a half years ago; this from the woman that has followed Justin all over the country, not the state, but the country like some fame-seeking missile trying to horn in on his vibe! The only person that needs to know their place is YOU! Once and for all understand this, your place is as Gus and Gummy’s mother and that’s it! That is all you are and all you ever will be!”

 

I don’t think I have ever seen Mel so upset or Lindsay looks so victorious that she got to her, but that look of triumph doesn’t last!

 

“You just had to, didn’t you?!” Debs seethes as she comes in with her hands on hips. She stops in front of Lindsay.  “You had to come here and upset people. You claim that you love Gus, but the only time you’ve concentrated on him was when he was with Brian! I saw the look that you gave Justin when he took his daughter out of your arms. Don’t ever look at him like that again, or you will have me to deal with! Just ask Michael’s ass how that felt!”

 

“Why…” She sniffs. “Is everyone picking on me?”

 

“Oh please! We’re not picking on you; we’re telling you the truth and you don’t like it! Your crocodile tears don’t work here so dry them the fuck up, NOW! Do yourself a favour Lindsay, and us as well...expend your energy into a more useful and productive occupation, like finding a job to pay support for Gus.” Mel has regained some of her vigor and then some. “Those flights must have eaten into your inheritance.”

 

“You are! You are picking on me! First, Justin treats me like a pariah when I was holding Lee…”

 

“No he treated you like a pariah because you were furious that he was taking his daughter back!” Ruth interjects.

 

“Shouldn’t that be our daughter?” Lindsay snivels.

 

“No it shouldn’t. You are not their mother!” Arno points out a lot calmer than I suspect he feels.

 

“I meant our as in that...” Her face going redder.

 

“No, you didn’t.” Mel retorts. “You meant that supposed Freudian slip, Lindsay. You’re not fooling anyone here, including yourself. So please just can the melodrama. No one’s buying it!”

 

“I didn’t! Your picking on me has made me con…”

 

“Aww poor ickle Lindsay. Getting backdraft from the fire you started ain’t nice, is it?” Daph scoffs.

 

“Okay, enough of this!” Carl hisses as we hear the door open. “Carry this on elsewhere!”

 

“Mommy!” Gus calls down and I have to laugh. He looks adorable in his PJs, as does Gummy who has her hood up and is it has, appropriately after today, kitten ears. “Can I have my present now or next weekend?”

 

“Next weekend is better sweetheart, when it is just you and me.”

 

“And Gummy? Gummy is coming too, right?” Gus ask.

 

“Yes, of course darling.”

 

“Nice save.” Daphne mutters just loud enough but not too loud and Lindsay looks like she has bilious!

 

“You okay, mommy? You’ve gone a funny colour.”

 

“Yes, of course. I was just hot, that’s all. Look sweetheart, mommy has a headache, so is going to go home. Let me give you and Gum...JR a kiss goodbye.”

 

Ten minutes later, she’s finally ready to leave. And after giving us all one more bitter look, she closes the door. Then Ruth follows her and five minutes later she comes in smiling.

 

“Give.” Hunner smirks.

 

“Merely pointed out that she couldn't afford to replace my car for one tiny scratch.”

 

“She wouldn’t! Would she?” I know she’s jealous of Ruth but still.

 

“If she could get away with it, yeah she would.” Hunner sighs. I go to ask another question, but see G&G are being brought down ready to go home. “Tell you more later.” He whispers and I nod.

 

“I think we should call it a day.” Carl sighs quietly. “We’re all fraught, and despite Ted’s news this day has turned to shit!”

 

“I agree, though there was one positive.” Ben smiles. “She called me papa!”

 

“Deservedly so.” Mel kisses his cheek. “Come on let’s get these two wuffy-fluffettes home!”

 

BRITIN - THREE HOURS LATER

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

I pad on jello like legs to the bathroom to start the bath. I feel like I have been running a marathon for the last ten years. But fuck, if it wasn’t worth it!

 

“Oh god.” Brian groans as he comes in behind me. I inwardly sigh in relief as he loops his arms around my waist and pulls me back against him. “Feel better?” I look at him in the mirror and while he does look tired... actually he looks well and truly fucked, but he doesn't look mad. “Don't do anything I don't want to. Though maybe next time, don't approach me with scissors looking like you did and start to cut away my jeans. And by the way, you need to replace my shirt.”

 

I giggle and then turn into his chest.

 

“And Debs is right; you did nothing to be ashamed of! I was so proud of you and still am.  So finish that bath and then pick an end.”

 

I look up at him surprised he could even think of that right now!

 

“Taps or chest, twat!”

 

“Chest. Can I check?” I ask and he turns round and I sit on the seat then gently part his cheeks.

 

“How’s it?” He asks, looking over his shoulder.

 

“Red and slightly swollen. How does that feel?” I press gently and he pulls away.

 

I look up in worry but he swoops down for a kiss. I feel so much better when he crawls into my lap and wraps his legs around me. We soon get lost in each other and the kisses intensify in their passion.

 

“Brian...mmm...stop.”

 

“Why?” He murmurs against my ear. “As usual, I am enjoying myself.”

 

“My feet...” I reply before he slides his tongue into my mouth.

 

“What about your feet?” He growls after we break for air!

 

“They’re getting wet. No seriously, the bath!” I giggle and finally he looks across.

 

“Shit!” He leaps off me and then yelps when he plunges his hand in the water but pulls it back out quickly. “Fuck, that’s hot!” I switch off the bath taps and then check his hand and get the water in the sink running as cold as I can. He hisses on contact so I kiss his shoulder and rub his ass. He just smiles and nudges me. “Not my cleverest idea.” He grumbles. “Will it scar?” He peers at his hand.

 

“No. I don’t think so but let’s put something on it, just in case.” He nods and we both look at the bath. “So how do you propose we empty that?” He stands to the side and seems to be measuring how high the bath is. Then he leaves.

 

“Uh Brian, what are you doing?”

 

“Going for mops and buckets! And to check the ceiling!” He calls back. “Won’t be long!”

 

He’s back in five minutes. “Ceiling looks okay but let’s not chance it and get this cleaned up now.”

 

“Yes sir!” I salute him, earning a swat on my ass. “Your hand is fine, I see.” I smirk.

 

“You ass has healing powers!” He grins.

 

LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

How dare they?! How dare they speak and treat me like that?! Especially Mel!  And then that fucking Daphne...! And for Debs to actually threaten me...! Me of all people! I have every right as the mother of Brian’s child, his eldest child, to be where he is! I brush away my tears of anger and put down the trinket box I was going to throw across the room when I remember that I bought it for myself!

 

And if she thinks that they are bringing that wretched animal here they have another think coming! But as loathed as I am to admit this, Harper and Lee are beautiful, especially considering who their mother is. I can’t believe they managed to keep them a secret! How? When? I find my heart racing and take a few steadying breaths. Well at least a mixed sample means they still haven’t done the deed. That achievement has and will ever only be mine!

 

My eye is caught by the box that mother sent over to them and curiosity is getting the better of me. When I was all but ordered out of the house, I made a point of taking it with me since Mel seemed to know what it is! But the phone ringing deters my curiosity for the moment and sighing I reach for it, putting it on speaker.

 

“Hello again Michael. No, everything's not fine! Once again, I have been maligned and harassed by the Bitches of Eastwick!

 

“The Bitches of...do you mean Mel, Cassia and Daphne?”

 

“No Mel, Daphne and Ruth. Happily Cassia is no longer. But sadly, Ruth and I have something in common, which I am fuming over but can do nothing about it!”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Ruth has had twins…”

 

“At her age? Wow! Arno must be so pleased. So is she going to get her bestie and Boy Wonder to be the godfathers?”

 

“No. They are the fathers.”

 

Silence.

 

“Michael, are you still there?”

 

“Ye-yeah. She’s had twins for them? How the fuck did that happen; when the fuck did it happen?!”

 

“That’s what I’d like to know! Justin said something about them being premie, so I’m not sure. And then there’s your mother, threatening to beat me like she did you for merely defending your rights when JR called Ben papa and nobody corrected her!”

 

“Okay, that’s it! I’m not having that! He’s not her fucking papa, especially now that we’ve split up! So is that it? No more surprises?”

 

“Just one more thing... Ted and Blake are getting married on the same day as your mother and Carl. Brian’s daughters are being christened that day too! It’s being held at Britin and we are not allowed to attend!”

 

“Jesus! What the hell is happening over there?! First Brian gets talked into another kid, or should that be kids with Boy Wonder, without even consulting us and now all of this shit! I’m so glad that I’m fighting to get my rights back. Oh that reminds me, can I send you the letter of apology I have to send to her? You can see if I sound sorry and sincere enough!”

 

“Oh, no problem. I’m sure I can add the necessary finessing!” I laugh.

 

“So I shall let you know when I’m coming. I’m not sure when it will be, but it will be soon.”

 

“How soon? Reason I ask is that my parents are out of the country and their house is nearer to everyone else, so we could stay there.”

 

“Your parents are going away again? Where this time?”

 

“Not going away, have gone away. They are in Australia for a month with Lynette and her soon to be husband number 4.”

 

“Fuck me!”

 

“And that’s how I feel today, completely fucked and not in a good way!”

 

As we finish our call, I feel a bit better. It’s nice to have someone on my side, even if they are an easily manipulated idiot sometimes! And true to form, he sends the letter and as I read, it dawns on me... I also have to make nice to them all. If I am to maintain my vaunted position over them, I have to make them think they won this round… Fuck!

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO - WEDNESDAY EARLY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

JENNIFER

 

I have just gotten back from visiting my granddaughters and to say that I am steamed is an understatement! Though I was so proud with how she was dealt with by Justin, I contemplate what to do now. I pick up and then put back down my phone. I don’t want to disturb Nancy’s holiday, but she did say she wanted to be kept abreast of any developments. So I look at my watch and it’s nine in the morning over there, which makes my decision to call her a little more palatable.

 

“Jennifer! How are you?!” Nancy cries and her delight is genuine. “You have got to do Australia with your young man. It’s exquisite, if a little tiring, a journey!”

 

“We’re still in the very early stages.” I laugh “But we’re doing a weekend away. It’s just to Houston, but it turns out we’ve both wanted to go there to Sesquicentennial Park, in particular. But enough of whims and fancies, I have some news for you... well actually two bits: one good and one not so good.”

 

“Let me get Ronald.” There’s a moment of muttering before he’s on the line. “We’re both here, what’s she done now?”

 

“She ran her mouth again, upsetting Mel in the process.”

 

“Mel? Do you think I should call her?”

 

“No. Mel more than rallied after that little bump in the entitlement road. Mentioning the support she owes did the trick…”

 

“What was she running her mouth about?” Ronald asks.

 

“My granddaughters were a shock to her, that’s the good news by the way. And she didn’t appreciate a) not being told or I should imagine, in her mind, consulted and b) glaring at Justin for daring to want to take back Lee, she’s the youngest of the twins by 2 minutes, when he wanted. And he made it clear to her that Gus is the only reason she is still around.”

 

“Gr-granddaughters?” Ronald gasps. “Who by, if not her?”

 

“Guess who?” I smirk.

 

“Daphne?”

 

“No…close though. Think of someone more than capable of eviscerating your daughter.”

 

“Ruth? Ruth got pregnant for them?! Oh wonderful! But, oh my how that must stick in her craw!” Nancy laughs before hastily a-hemming. “I mean that must have been quite a shock.”

 

I snicker at her attempt at diplomacy. “Yes it was for all of us. They didn’t tell us until they were 9 weeks old.”

 

“9 weeks?!” Ronald gasps. “Good Lord! How did Ruth keep that hidden?”

 

“Went to stay with Gilda in N’Awlins.”

 

“Ah. Well grandma Jennifer, do we get a picture of Lee and what’s the other one’s name?”

 

“Harper and yes I shall send it after the call. And also a picture of Fizz.”

 

“Fizz? Who’s Fizz? We leave the country for three days and all hell breaks loose!” Ronald laughs.

 

“Gus and Gummy’s new cat. Frack found her and she’s being nursed back to health after being abandoned by her mother. Eyes were just open so she’s less than two weeks, according to Leda.”

 

“Leda? Who’s Leda?” Nancy asks, confusion clear in her voice and I have to smile.

 

“Mel’s new beau…”

 

“Mad, it’s all gone mad!” Nancy giggles. “So what do you want to do about Lindsay? Want me to drip in her ear? I always do love to pour salt in her wounds. Lord knows, she’s caused enough of them down through the years and deserves a bit of turnabout.”

 

“Well that’s the thing... She’s apologised to Mel, Leda, Ruth and Daphne for her behaviour but can’t to Brian and Justin as they aren’t taking her calls. She’s due to have Gus and Gummy at the weekend and Michael is coming over in a couple of weeks…”

 

“Tell Mel to have it at her place. Don’t let her have him on her own.” Nancy interrupts.

 

“I don’t think she was going to but why don’t you think she should?”

 

“No, because it’s home ground for her. She will have the advantage. You know what she’s done with the place, don’t you? She’s removed every stick of him, hasn’t she Ronald? You said that it didn’t look like he was there anymore, or that he’d ever even been there in the first place. I mean, I know he’s not there but you know what I mean?”

 

“And maybe you should give Gilda a call. See how long they have left on that lease?”

 

“Okay, good idea.”

 

“Call me back when you know more stuff.”

 

“I will. Now go back and enjoy your holiday!”

 

“We will and congratulations grandma! Or should we call you Glam-ma? No way you should be called Grandma with that hot young stud you’re dating, hmm?”

 

“Glam-ma? Oh, I like that!”

 

She chuckles before hanging up. “Now, I wonder what she’s thinking.” I murmur to myself.

 

CROWNE PLAZA COOGEE BEACH HOTEL, SYDNEY

 

RONALD AND LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

NANCY

 

“You know what I think, dear?” I apply some lotion to his ears. “I think we should have the locks changed on the house. I’m sure Jennifer can help us with that.”

 

“Why should we have the locks changed?”

 

“As you’ve said, he’s not there in the apartment anymore. Where else is he going to stay? She won’t go to a hotel unless someone else pays for it. So with us cats away, that little mouse will try to play. But she can’t if she can’t get in, can she?”

 

He turns to face me and plants a kiss on my lips. “I like this Nancy Peterson; I like her very much!” He smiles and tucks his sunglasses in his pocket.

 

“Me too Ronald, me too.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks