- Text Size +

CHAPTER 76 - AMBER ALERT AND RED WITH RAGE

 

DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY LUNCHTIME, A WEEK LATER

 

CARL

 

She keeps looking at me, but saying nothing. Which is Debs speak for I will get it out of you! I have spoken to the DA’s office and while the threat is currently at amber, we can’t do anything until we locate them. And according to Hobbs, they are contacting him. Personally, I’m still unsure of him.

 

I help set the table and she bumps me with her hip. Debs speak for not mad, just worried. I nod and smile before we set up the lounge. Now that the Caramels are crawling, we have to make sure that everything is safe or the totally chilled and relaxed fathers won’t take them out of their carriers until we do!

 

“Jen’s here!” Debs calls out and goes to open the door. I smile as the two friends embrace heartily and immediately head to the kitchen for wine, while I hand Tucker some beer. Pretty soon the house is full of the normal chatter.

 

“Daddy!” Gus calls out as he carefully shepherds his Caramels round the lounge. “Is it me or are they going faster?”

 

“A tiny bit, Sonny Boy. Oh, you’ve let Lee get by you!” Brian chuckles.

 

“Oh no you don’t, you little Carummy!

 

Carummy?” Brian repeats.

 

“Yes. Gummy is getting bigger and Hunner sometimes calls her Gumdrop, instead of Gummy. So I thought that they could be called Carummies! It’s a mix of Caramel and Gummy for when their teeths come through. Is that okay? I thought of it all by myself.” He finishes shyly.

 

“Teeth Gus, you should say teeth. And yes.” Justin replies beaming. “That’s perfect!”

 

“Speaking of Gummy...Gumdrop, where are they? She was with Ben and Xavi this weekend, right?” I ask and there’s smiles exchanged between Brian, Justin, Mel and Leda. “What’s going on?” I look across at Debs and she looks as confused as me.

 

“Nancy’s here!” Mel calls out and goes to let her in. “Hi Nancy, Ronald. You both look well. Come in, come in.”

 

“Hello everyone, what is it you need us to do?” Ronald takes off his jacket and heads to the kitchen.

 

“Can you sort the wine out for me, sweetheart? The white’s out but red needs opening. Carl, can you come and put some beers in the fridge, since you took the last one? Why you didn’t put some more in I don’t know!” Debs grumbles.

 

“Hi dad!” Hunner calls out as Ben is let in. “Xavi dealing with Gumdrop?”

 

“Yeah. Poor baby had a bad dream last night so she’s tired.”

 

“Uncle Ben, did you say Gumdrop is sick?” Gus looks concerned.

 

“No Gus, she’s just very tired as she didn’t sleep very well last night. So we’re going to put her upstairs for a bit so that…”

 

“Can’t you leave her to sleep on the sofa? I can watch her.” Gus is talking to Ben, but watching his sisters.

 

“Thank you, Gus. You are such a wonderful little big brother! Let me let Uncle Xavi know.”

 

“Little big brother?” He adorably wrinkles his nose, trying to puzzle it out.

 

“Yes, Gus. Since Hunner is her big big brother, that makes you the little big brother. Is that okay?”

 

His eyes light up at his special new name. “That’s great, Uncle Ben! Thank you.”

 

Soon, Gus is reading to his sisters while sitting in Carmine’s lap, but he too starts to drift off and between the two of us, we get them all upstairs and comfortable. As Carmine and I head back downstairs, there is definitely something in the air.

 

“Okay, what is going on?” I demand and everyone looks at me. “I have something to say too, but there’s something going on with…”

 

“Is what you’re going to say something bad?” Debs interrupts.

 

“Pot...well, yeah it is.” I sigh.

 

“And your news is good, right Mel? I saw that smile earlier.” Debs demands.

 

“Yes, but I also have some bad news too.”

 

“Oh fuck!” Jen sighs. “Let’s grab a drink each and have at it.” She orders and soon, we are all seated. “Mel, you start.”

 

“Lindsay and Michael have moved from Ohio and not given another address. We can’t find them.” There are groans and gasps. “But Jules is on it and has sent the photos of the nannies that will be shadowing the children. I’ve only just got them so I shall send them soon.”

 

“Oh, for crying out loud!” Ems snarls. “Of all the stupid…I mean, I know they’re stupid but come on this fucking stupid?!”

 

“Wait, what about Ruth and Arno? Shouldn’t they be told?” Debs frets.

 

“They know. They were told at the same time as Jules. They are staying at the retreat with them until the premiere or until we find them.” Brian growls.

 

“Speak of the devil.” Mel looks at her phone. “Jules, I’m with the family. Have you got good news for us?”

 

“No, nothing. We cannot find them. Well, we don’t think we can. A couple who looked like them have been spotted in Delicious Foods a few times and we have put a tag on their car. But the car is in a communal car park, so we have no idea which house they are in. Let me send you the pictures I got. I showed them to Ruth, but she wasn’t sure. Brian, I am sending them now.” We wait with bated breath for the ping and Brian and Justin peer at the screen before passing it to Debs, who is surrounded immediately by Jen, Nancy and Ronald.

 

“Somebody say something... is it them or not?!” Jules demands.

 

“Wow, he has let himself go! But yeah that’s my former son.” Debs sighs and hands the phone back to Brian.

 

“Great! It’s a start, which means they are in Pittsburgh. But they are in a gated community and although I have a man watching, they’ve not used their car since the tag was engaged. There are over 30 houses with 24 hour full perimeter security. No way in.”

 

“But at least you have a starting point. What is the name of the estate? Maybe I could…”

 

“Camomile Tree. We have a list of the owners and tenants; some of the properties are rented.”

 

“Okay, give us a list of names…” I demand and as he reads them out but after 18 names, we are getting frustrated. “This is ridiculous! I refuse to be bested by these two idiots!”

 

“Carl, shush!” Nancy snaps. “We’re trying to listen!”

 

“Sorry. Jules, continue please.” I run my hand over my scalp and he starts to read them out again and nobody recognises a name.

 

“Wait, go back a couple of names.” Justin suddenly says.

 

“The Beaconfields, Thatcher and Hope, Delore…”

 

“Delore? Are you sure it’s Delore?” Debs gasps.

 

“Hang on a minute, let me check. His handwriting is appalling, much like an eight year old just beginning to learn cursive writing. Give me a minute. Januck! What does this one say? Seriously?! Next time write in capitals or type the damn thing! Leave now! Sorry guys, its Devore.”

 

“Oh my god!” Debs whispers, her eyes filling with tears. “This is my fault.”

 

“What is? What has happened?” Jules demands.

 

“No Debs, this is not your fault! What they did with the things we gave them is down to them; not you or us!” Nancy tells her firmly before turning to us all. “As you know, we have disowned them and we gave them everything to do with their lives...including their birth certificates.”

 

“Okay, leave this with me! I feel so much better! So they are in Pittsburgh, hmm... should I send Ruth…”

 

“No, not yet. I have my news to impart.” I sigh and it goes quiet. “Chris Hobbs came to see me.” I watch Justin closely as he swallows hard and snuggles closer to Brian, who takes his hand and kisses his temple. “They went back to see him again and in his words, this time they were sober. It seems that they want him to scare you by being around all the time, to unsettle you. He told me about the incident between you and him with a Mr Bell some years back and that’s where he wants to leave it. I have been to the DA’s office, but until they make their move, there is nothing anyone can do. The children are under amber alert until they do.”

 

“They’re planning to kidnap our children?” Justin is incredulous.

 

“Not in the conventional sense, I don’t think so.” Ronald declares.

 

“What do you mean? What else could they be planning?” Brian demands, trying not to lose his temper. “They’ve changed their appearances, they’re names, they’ve moved closer.”

 

“Yes, there’s all of that, but she still needs the children to bring you two to heel, especially Brian. And by looking like she’s helping Michael orchestrate the kidnapping, but under duress then she saves them from him. So she looks like the heroine and…”

 

“Worms her way back in and then manipulates the situation to suit her original goals!” Jennifer spits. “That...that...oh, what is it?!”

 

“Swampcunt, dear.” Nancy supplies and that makes us laugh, alleviating some of the tension. “Jules, about this new place... is it only in Michael’s name?”

 

“I can find out. Why?”

 

“Well it’s a well-known fact how Michael felt about the two of you being together. And while she felt the same, she was not as obvious. Yes she tried to help in your art career, and that’s exactly how she will play it out to the authorities. But with Michael, his very public harassment has played right into her hands. I suspect she won’t be on the lease. It has to be, for all intents and purposes, all on him. He has to look like the Mastermind, which will leave her free and clear. Its WASP rule 103: Always look like the innocent victim, even when you’re the puppet master behind the scenes.”

 

“Is she insane?” Hunner shakes his head.

 

“No, just very clever. She’s also entitled and focused on getting what she wants.” Nancy sighs.

 

“What about Hobbs? Where is he?” Justin asks although his voice is strained.

 

“Back at his residence but under surveillance. Not that he knows that, of course.” I reassure him and he breathes a sigh of relief.

 

“Is that it? Is that the shit news for now?” Ted asks tiredly.

 

“Yes and just in time.” Jen stands. “I hear Gus talking to his sisters.”

 

“Goodbye all. Let me go and work on what we know.” Jules tells us and hangs up.

 

“Great, let’s go and get them.” Nancy tells her and they head upstairs with Ronald and Tucker.

 

Soon the chatter of Gus and, now as decreed by Gus, Gumdrop and the cuteness of the Carummies helps to eradicate the tension. Almost two hours later, we’re eating dessert in the lounge when Mel’s phone rings again. Jules she mouths and heads out back. With a jerk of Debs head, I follow. When we head back in twenty minutes later, we are smiling in relief…the DA has given approval for a surveillance unit to move in...Lindsay and Michael are going to get new neighbours too!

 

“So what is going on with you two?” I demand looking at Ben and Xavi, who have Gumdrop between them, helping her to eat her cake.

 

“She’s Hunner’s sister.” Xavi says grinning.

 

“She always was.” Debs points out. “Despite what her father thought, and you are still my grandson and…” She trails off and then stares at Ben and then Mel. “Oh my God! Y-you’ve made Ben her father, haven’t you?”

 

“Yes. She’s mine. They both are mine and only mine. Hunner had Michael removed as his other foster parent. So everyone, it’s my pleasure to introduce you to Jenny Rebecca and Hunter Marcus-Bruckner.”

 

“Marcus-Bruckner?” I echo and look at a tearful Mel.

 

“Well I could hardly say no when he asked, could I?” She sniffs.

 

“We need to get champagne!” Debs weeps.

 

“Gamma, you okay?” Gumdrop asks.

 

“Yes, Gumdrop. I am just so happy.”

 

“Daddy, shall I get tissues?”

 

“Yes. Yes please, and bring the big box, okay?”

 

“Okay, daddy!” She replies and toddles off to go and get it.

 

 

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - FIVE DAYS LATER, AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I wish I didn’t have to put on the weight and change my hair colour. But Lindsay said that we had to be unrecognisable so we could move back to the Pitts. She’s dyed her hair and cut it differently though the supposed weight she was putting on has yet to materialise. But she says she’s trying and since I can’t prove otherwise, I have to believe her. We contacted Hobbs before we went and initially, he seemed reluctant. Lindsay soon talked him round, reminding him what Boy Wonder has cost him.

 

“So what are we doing for the rest of the day?” I call out as Lindsay comes in.

 

“I’m going to place another food order and then check out some art websites. I see that Sam has another showing in Los Angeles and Calista is collaborating with him for a show in Chicago!”

 

“We also need to make sure that Hobbs is keeping an eye on Boy Wonder.” I look at her for confirmation and she nods.

 

“But more importantly, you need to check the entertainment section to see if there is anything about the premiere. It should be coming up soon. Surely?”

 

“That’s true. Okay, let me have a look.” It doesn’t take long to find them. “Here they are.”

 

“Okay, so let’s see them.” I pull up the screen and whistle the pictures are incredible, much better than when we were doing the comic...that little fucker was holding back! “Oh my God, he’s put the family in as characters!” Lindsay gasps. “Look at Mel! Someone has a very vivid imagination!” She chuckles. “They’ve even got Hunter in there!”

 

“Him?! What on earth for?!” I demand.

 

“No idea, but let’s keep looking.” I continue to scroll through and then stop. “Is that supposed to be me?!” Lindsay demands and then makes a choking sounds when we see the after picture. “Wh...what is that?! He can’t do that!” She shrieks, almost deafening me.

 

Beautiful Calista

 

 

 

True Calista

 

 

 

I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from laughing until I get to the pictures of me. “WHAT THE FUCK?!” I roar and she has to step back as I stand up so fast. “Look what that...that fucking bastard has done!” I scream and point to the screen.

 

“Oh...my...Michael. I thought he disliked me because of my closeness to Brian, but this is a whole new level of hatred! He’s…”

 

“TURNED ZEPHYR FROM A MA INTO A GIRL!” I scream.

 

 Mika

 

 

 

 

 

Zephyra

 

“Michael! Michael! Shush! Calm down. I know it’s a shock but you need to calm down!” She grabs my shoulders and shakes me. It takes a while for my breathing to regulate!

 

 “I am going to sue his ass!” I snarl.

 

 “On what...oh no!”

 

 “What?”

 

 “The posters, let’s hope they have taken them down. Surely they must have done since that is online. The benefit of it being online is that is a somewhat niche community...”

 

 “I guess their poster campaign didn’t generate enough publicity. Bet that was Boy Wonder’s stupid idea!”

 

 “Of course, it was. Yet again, an example of him not thinking things through! While it may have worked against Stockwell, it ultimately cost Brian and I still haven’t quite forgiven Justin for that.” She bridles.

 

 “Me neither. Thank goodness we got the community behind him to pay the money back. If it wasn’t for us, who knows where he’d have been!”

 

 “So let’s look at this calmly. What else does it say about this abomination?”

 

 VAN OUTSIDE CAMOMILE TREE ESTATE

 

 FBI AGENT COLTRANE

 

 I am currently blocking the door while Brian Taylor-Kinney calms down his husband. He has tried to get out of the van twice now. He’s remarkably strong for one so small!

 

 “Okay, I am going to let go now. You cannot get up, you understand?” He tells him. Although his tone is firm, there is humor in it.

 

 “Fine.” He smiles sweetly, though not even his little daughter would be fooled by that!

 

 I have had a crash course on all things Taylor-Kinney over the last few days. How they have survived what they have survived is an absolute miracle! And now with these two assholes hatching fuck alone knows what...the mind boggles!

 

 “Can I move now?” I ask.

 

 “Well, can he?” Brian asks him.

 

 “Of course. I am the epitome of calmness.” He smiles again.

 

 “Let me try that question again.” Brian shakes his head at me. “If I was to let you go and he was to move, will you promise, on the souls of our Carummies, Sonny Boy, Gumdrop and Hiccup, to remain in the seat?”

 

 “Brian…” His face falls. “That’s not fair!”

 

 “Do you promise on their souls?” He asks again and I watch Justin start to relax.

 

 “I promise.” He whispers and gives him a quick kiss. “I promise, now take a seat.” He stands up and settles in his lap.

 

 “Okay, what happens next?” He asks me as I retake my seat and chuckle at Agent Brown, who has been watching the entire thing with a quiet smile.

 

 “Well they’ve finished complaining about Rage Unleashed... well she has, but he’s still bitching.” He sits back and flicks through the folder. “Now I know you mentioned Ethan Gold, well, you have nothing to worry about with him. He’s married…”

 

 “He hates Brian though and will…”

 

 “To a woman, with a kid on the way.” They burst out laughing and we wait for them to calm down. “Hang on...yeah okay, thanks. The second team are five minutes away, so we need to swap over and I think we should drop you guys at home. This was a favour to Carl to let you sit in on this, but I strongly advise you not to do this again.”

 

 “Thank you and we definitely won’t be doing this again.” Justin asserts.

 

 BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER

 

 LOUNGE

 

 JUSTIN

 

 “You...you were mad then?” I mumble from underneath Brian and he chuckles and wraps his arms around me before he slowly rolls us over onto our sides. “Move forward a bit please.” I whisper. “Oh!” I sigh happily as he’s still hard. He lifts my hair and kisses the back of my neck.

 

 “Love you, Sunshine.” He mumbles, pulling the blanket over us. “Nobody will ever change that!”

 

 “WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!” Lee wails through the monitor.

 

 “We’re coming!” Brian calls up before he gently withdraws and then helps me up so we can get dressed.

 

 “Well we will be again later! But first bottles!” I grin at him and head upstairs.

 

 BRIAN

 

 I swear to god I will kill them if they come near our children! Any of them!

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks