- Text Size +

CHAPTER 87 - ...PAVES THE WAY TO THE BEGINNING...

 

 

 

FEDERAL WOMEN’S PRISON - SATURDAY MORNING

 

 

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 1

 

 

 

ELIZABETH

 

 

 

I am fucking fucked off! I have been called to an emergency meeting by Peterson. I can’t think what is so important that she needs to see me. We could’ve met earlier on Monday, but no. She wants to see me now!

 

 

 

“What’s the hold up?” I grumble at Eva, the guard. “I have better things to do with my time.”

 

 

 

“Oh, it will be worth it.” I frown at her. “Trust me.” She winks. I like Eva. She’s a no nonsense Jamaican, who has been in the prison service for years, starting in Jamaica and then continuing over here.

 

 

 

The door opens and I freeze then stare. “What the hell happened to you?!” I gasp.

 

 

 

“This must be shock in reaction to the attack by Ruth Masterson. When I came round I was like this!”

 

 

 

“She’s been checked so this is not a physical reaction to the attack. Besides, there is a distinct lack of hair.” Eva glares at her.

 

 

 

“Lack of hair...yes, I see that.” I am still just staring. She looks like an egg with eyes and a snake’s mouth! To give her face some definition, she’s got some clumsily drawn eyebrows.

 

 

 

“Oh very good, but that’s not what I mean.” She laughs. “When I say that, I mean that when she called for medical assistance, she was already like that and there wasn’t any hair to be found in her room or her bathroom. If it had fallen out, it would still be there.”

 

 

 

“So how do you explain that?” I demand, starting to gather up my papers.

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

“Ms Peterson, you have wasted my time with this whatever the hell you are trying to pull! Kindly remember that I am on your side, and even that is very tenuous at the moment. Don’t piss me off!”

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

“Elizabeth, I am not trying to pull anything! I’m much too vain to do this to myself! I just want one favour. Can you please bring me a wig so I don’t have to face the court like this?!” She stares at me. “Do you want me to beg?!”

 

 

 

“Please, say yes... it would concentrate her acid tongue a bit.” Eva chortles.

 

 

 

“I’ll bet.” Elizabeth chuckles and I almost draw blood, keeping my mouth shut. I close my eyes and send up a silent prayer. “What colour?”

 

 

 

I heave a sigh of relief. “Blonde, of course, centre parting and shoulder length. Oh and eyelashes. And while you’re there, can you also get an eyebrow pencil to match the wig? So I shall see you later. At least, I will have a day to style it.”

 

 

 

“What the rassclat foolery you talking?!” Eva exclaims.

 

 

 

I turn back to Elizabeth, who is still standing there. “Have I forgotten something?”

 

 

 

“Yes, the world you live in. I will not be doing any of that today! If I have calmed down by Monday, I may bring you in a paper bag and you can style that as you wish!”

 

 

 

My jaw drops open as she is swiftly let out.

 

 

 

“You bumbaclaart stupid ass! Let’s go!”

 

 

 

BRITIN - EVENING

 

 

 

KITCHEN

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

 

 

Humming! He’s humming as he looks at the details that mom sent to us about the ranch in Texas. He has bought a pair of cowboy boots in readiness. Naturally, they are Prada! I look up as the doorbell goes and he goes to answer it.

 

 

 

“Hi Justin.” I turn in surprise at Gary’s voice. “How you doing?”

 

 

 

“Great.” I smile at the careful way he is looking at me and now I see where Ruth gets the care-stare from. “I promise, I’m great. Sorry we didn’t get much chance to chat before. Do you want a coffee or something?”

 

 

 

“No, I’m going to the airport. I wanted to say goodbye to my nieces. You going to be in court every day from now on?” We both nod. “Great, just to give you a heads up, there will, unless there’s divine intervention, be a surprise for you on Monday!”

 

 

 

“Surprise?” Brian frowns.

 

 

 

“Yeah. Just brace for impact, that’s all I’m saying. Now where are the Carummies?”

 

 

 

“Upstairs, I’ll take you.” Brian winks at me and once they are out, I’m calling Ruth.

 

 

 

“Hey Ruth, Gary’s here...oh he’s not told you, either? Nothing? Not a single clue? Just asked if we were going to be there every day and to brace for impact. Okay see you Monday, have a good one! Kiss Hiccup for us!”

 

 

 

I carry on with dinner and an hour later, a slightly frustrated looking Brian and a smug Gary come downstairs. “Not even the power of Carummies could get it out of him.” He grumbles.

 

 

 

“Gotta go. See you at the verdict.” He saunters out, grinning.

 

 

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL, CDC UNIT - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

 

 

DR FOSTER

 

 

 

“What do you mean you woke up like this?!” I demand, looking at Devore in disbelief. “Nobody wakes up a completely different colour to when they went to sleep!”

 

 

 

“I’m telling you that’s what happened?!” He moans, still staring into the mirror.

 

 

 

“For once, I can vouch for a prisoner. I locked him down on Friday night and he was his usual pasty colour. By the time I went back this morning, he was like that.” His guard explains. “I have never seen the like…”

 

 

 

“Thanks. So, I’ve done all the tests that we can and there is nothing wrong with you. This could’ve been brought on by the stress of your trial…”

 

 

 

“You think I might be stressed about that?!” He snarls and I just stare at him until he realises that he has to apologise. “Sorry. So after the trial and when I’m released, will I go back to my normal colour?”

 

 

 

“Oh wait, what about jaundice?” His guard pipes up. “It’s not contagious, but could account for the yellow colour.”

 

 

 

“Can test for that but it would be a gradual thing, not overnight.”

 

 

 

“In the meantime, he can be returned to jail?”

 

 

 

“Absolutely. Is he sharing with a cell with anyone? Maybe…”

 

 

 

“No. The judge ordered him to be put in solitary, for his own safety.”

 

 

 

“And who says our judicial system doesn’t use common sense?!” Only the guard and I laugh.

 

 

 

COURTROOM 1 - MONDAY MORNING

 

 

 

JUDGE FINCH

 

 

 

There is a low murmuring in the court and I don’t know whether to laugh or charge them with contempt. Standing in front of me are the defendants. “What is the meaning of this?”

 

 

 

“Nothing to do with me. I woke up like this your honour. I think it may be because of the shock of the unprovoked attack by Ruth Masterson.” Peterson simpers.

 

 

 

“And you?” I glare at him.

 

 

 

“Jaundice, they think. Or another stress related disorder. I’m under a lot of stress you see, due to continued abandonment and, now, backstabbing…oh your honour.”

 

 

 

I look at their attorneys, who are struggling to keep straight faces. “You have verified their identities?”

 

 

 

“Yes, your honour.” They chorus.

 

 

 

“Take your seats.” I order and then frown. “Why are you walking backwards?! Turn round and walk back to your seats properly!” I have to dig myself in the hand with my pen to stop myself from laughing at their expressions. “Now! So there will be no further delay!”

 

 

 

As they turn around, first the court goes completely quiet and then explodes with the flashes of the press pack’s cameras, as they rush to take their seats.

 

 

 

The door opening heralds the arrival of DA Granger. “Apologies your honour, counsel but I had to...what in fuck’s name happened to them?!” She gasps before clapping her hand over her mouth. She blinks rapidly before turning back to me. “Uh, I mean…”

 

 

 

I put up my hand to stop her. “Bailiff, can you please bring in the family and then the jury?” He just nods.

 

 

 

Because of the high profile nature of the case, we have cordoned off an area for the family. Whereas they can see the court, the press pack can’t see them. On Friday, there were a few people there, but now it’s packed. And as they come in, they all stop and stare.

 

 

 

“If you could take your seats as quickly as you can, we have a lot to get through.” I order with my eyes fixed to the papers in front of me. I hear the door open again and then there is a sharp intake of breath.

 

 

 

“Oh my god! Somebody scalped her and dipped him in cat’s piss and lily pollen!” A man shrieks. “Is this an all over thang for the pair of them?!”

 

 

 

“Emmett, hush!” Detective Horvath admonishes with a smile.

 

 

 

“Seriously, there is nothing left on her head. I don’t think she even has lashes! And those eyebrows were clearly drawn by some poor bitch with the DTs!”

 

 

 

“Emmett! You must…!”

 

 

 

But it’s too late. First, there is a snigger before a throat is cleared. I look across at Chris Hobbs and he is shaking with laughter. No amount of digging him in the ribs by his attorney is getting him to stop.

 

 

 

“Pull yourself together!” I turn to the voice and see Brian Taylor-Kinney is trying to glare at his husband, but he is starting to smile.

 

 

 

“I can’t…” He gasps between giggles. “May I be excused?”

 

 

 

“Y-you-your honour, I f-feel it m-might be beneficial if we have a temporary recess. It may calm the situation down.” DA Granger suggests.

 

 

 

“Court is in recess for 15, no 30 minutes! As the jury has not yet been admitted, I think it would be best if the defendants were removed as opposed to clearing the court. Bailiffs, you may proceed.”

 

 

 

As the defendants stand, they try to leave via the left hand door, which takes them to the interview rooms but the bailiffs take them through the right hand door, which means they have to walk pass the family.

 

 

 

“Holy fuck, he’s going orange! Orange!”

 

 

 

“Ems, stop! Can-can’t breathe!” Detective Horvath guffaws as they walk passed with heads bowed.

 

 

 

“She’d better not pile on the pounds or she will end up looking like Jabba the Hutt!”

 

 

 

“EMMETT!” A redhead cackles with tears streaming down her face. “Please stop it!”

 

 

 

Once the door closes behind them, the court erupts.

 

 

 

HOLDING CELL

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

I look across at Michael and feel a certain smugness that he doesn’t have one up on me for looking the way I do. If anything, he looks worse than me!

 

 

 

“So you were going to pin this all on me, were you?” He calls out.

 

 

 

“Yes, Michael. That’s exactly what I was going to do! And I suppose I turned you yellow and shaved off all my hair too did I?!” He goes silent. “Looks like they’re ready for us. Remember Michael, it’s us against them not us against each other.”  With one last contemptible look over my shoulder, I follow the bailiff back into court.

 

 

 

DA GRANGER

 

 

 

It took a good 20 minutes for the court to settle down after they left. Judge Finch had to issue an edict that no pictures were to be released to or by the media, until after the trial has concluded. He didn’t want them bellyaching about emotional distress! As they return to their seats, there is the odd laugh but nothing more.

 

 

 

“DA Granger, are you wishing to continue your cross?”

 

 

 

“Yes, your honour. I call to the stand Michael Devore.” Once he’s sworn in, he folds his arms, I wait for him to uncross them. “Thank you. Now Mr Devore, what did you think of the testimony of Mr Hobbs?”

 

 

 

“It’s bullcrap.”

 

 

 

“How so?”

 

 

 

“He’s already been proven to be a liar, so why isn’t he lying now?”

 

 

 

“Because we have evidence to prove that he isn’t. The same cannot be said about yourself and Ms Peterson, can it?”

 

 

 

“What are talking about?”

 

 

 

“You and Ms Peterson tried to get Ms Marcus in trouble with child services by claiming she had neglected her children. And at the same time, you tried to have Jennifer Taylor arrested for assault, isn’t that correct? Wasn’t a file opened on the pair of you and a report of the false reporting placed therein?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know. You would have to ask them…”

 

 

 

“I did and the answer is yes. With regards to the false assault charge, while the assault by Jennifer Taylor was not denied, why did it take you three days to report it?”

 

 

 

“I was going through a separation…”

 

 

 

“To quote you, this is bullcrap. Like the hiring of a private detective, you and Ms Peterson were showing people how far you were willing to go to get what you wanted. You even tried to blame and Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney for your actions. As a result of the hiring of the detective, didn’t this lead to the complete disintegration of the relationship between yourself and your best friend?”

 

 

 

“Brian and I always fight and we always make up, once he apologises of course. Because most of the time, he is in the wrong.”

 

 

 

“Again bullcrap, but let’s move onto your involvement with Mr Hobbs. After the second visit to Mr Hobbs, why did you move from Ohio to Pittsburgh without informing the attorneys of the Taylor-Kinneys?”

 

 

 

“Wasn’t aware we were supposed to. We’re not at their beck and call.” He sneers and shrugs.

 

 

 

“But you had restraining orders against you both, which meant that you had to inform the authorities or the attorneys of your location. Surely you remember that from the last time you had a restraining order against you from Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney, which is why you moved to Ohio the first time, isn’t it?”

 

 

 

“That was different.”

 

 

 

“Because?”

 

 

 

“That was about Rage and the…”

 

 

 

“Online flame war you raged? Oh pardon me, I mean you engaged in with Justin Taylor-Kinney. You used some pretty inflammatory language during your exchanges. Why was that?”

 

 

 

“I didn’t like being cut out of Rage.”

 

 

 

“But you were paid to be, as you put it, cut out of Rage.

 

 

 

“I still could’ve been included in an advisory capacity.” He grouses, cutting his eye in Justin’s direction.

 

 

 

“Didn’t you think it was a little overreaction of theirs to have a restraining order issued against you though?”

 

 

 

“Brian was most likely persuaded by some means to do that.” He sneers, again cutting his eye.

 

 

 

“You don’t think it was because of some of the comments you left on the YouTube website?”

 

 

 

“I made some constructive comments, which of course, he took the wrong way.”

 

 

 

“But it wasn’t just that, was it? You followed him all over the country where Rage was concerned, didn’t you? You were in effect stalking him. Wasn’t that true?”

 

 

 

“No.”

 

 

 

“Hmm, so you turned up everywhere that you thought him to be to disrupt what he is doing, but you don’t call that stalking?”

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

“Okay, moving on. You mentioned earlier about differences. Why have you dramatically changed your appearance?”

 

 

 

“Like I said I woke up like this!” He snaps.

 

 

 

“No. I meant the change of hairstyle and weight gain, not your unfortunate new hue. You have to admit that it is quite a change from your previous appearance?”

 

 

 

He shifts uncomfortably. “I made a lifestyle choice.”

 

 

 

“You made a choice to put on at least 30lbs and have that haircut? Didn’t you both decided to do that while moving closer to the Taylor-Kinneys? And you changed your surname? This all sounds like you were trying to conceal yourselves, doesn’t it?”

 

 

 

“No it’s…”

 

 

 

“Have you always shared living space with Ms Peterson?”

 

 

 

“When we’ve been cast out by those who was supposed to be our family and friends, yes.”

 

 

 

“And every time you’ve either rented or lived with her in parents’ residence for a time, correct?”

 

 

 

“Yes.” He frowns and I take a quick look at Peterson. She is lip biting.

 

 

 

“And you both paid rent?”

 

 

 

“Objection! Relevance!” His attorney calls out.

 

 

 

“Will become clear shortly, and yes, I will get there quickly, your honour.”

 

 

 

“Sus...apologies...overruled. But only just...speed it up.”

 

 

 

“Thank you, your honour. Mr Devore, how did your co-defendant explain that anything related to the last property you shared was in your name and your name only?”

 

 

 

“It wasn’t. It was in joint names…it was just done after we moved there.”

 

 

 

“I bring the court’s attention Exhibit 1C, which is the lease for the property in Shadyside. As you can see the only signature on there is yours, Mr Devore. Now to address the contact between the pair of you and Mr Hobbs. As you very kindly confirmed, you two were watching him during his harassment of Justin Taylor-Kinney. I draw the court’s attention to Exhibit 1D, this is a picture of you both. Where you are smiling and waving, with you even giving the thumbs up. Can you tell the court where this was taken?”

 

 

 

“No.”

 

 

 

“As you well know, it is outside the estate known as Britin, a place that you are both banned from.”

 

 

 

“He most probably doctored it.”

 

 

 

“How?”

 

 

 

“You’d have to ask him.”

 

 

 

“Mr Devore, let me tell you something about Mr Hobbs. With regards to this particular case, he has done nothing but the right thing. The ne’er do wells and wrong doers are yourself and Ms Peterson.” I hear her huff in annoyance and smile to myself. “Mr Devore, to answer your question from Friday, you were watching an FBI agent and they were watching you. All the time. With some other assistance. Wherever you went, whatever you did, the authorities saw.” He swallows hard. “The reason I mention that is because you, Mr Devore, spent some considerable time following Mr Hobbs around and contacting him. With the permission of the court, I would like to play a recording of voicemail left on the cellphone of Chris Hobbs, notated as Exhibit 1E.”

 

 

 

“Proceed.”

 

 

 

Hobbs! It’s me. We need to know what the fuck is going on?! For someone who is supposed to be distraught, he looks too fucking chipper! Tell us, hang on Lindsay’s back, it’s Hobbs! We want him destroyed. That fucking Boy Wonder needs to be driven nuts!

 

 

 

“And I suppose he doctored that too, did he?” He shrinks back into his seat, no longer seeking the eyes of his best friend. “Let’s move on to the kidnapping of the children…”

 

 

 

“We didn’t kidnap the children! We took....”

 

 

 

“If you take children without the permission of the parents, it’s called kidnapping. But let’s use your word if it gets you to answer the question quicker. What made you take the children when you did?”

 

 

 

“They left the children unattended and…”

 

 

 

“Let me stop you there again. Remember what I said before about the FBI watching you every minute of every day? Your honour, with your permission, I would like to play a recording of a conversation between Mr Devore and Ms Peterson. This was recorded after the successful premiere of Rage Unleashed.”

 

 

 

“Proceed.”

 

 

 

I rest against the stand and watch the court as they listen to them fume about the Taylor-Kinneys having a property in Texas, especially her - the tone drips outrage and jealousy. The way they callously decide to take Gus before they go to Texas. The sniping comment about her appearance garners bitter laughs.

 

 

 

“So, Mr Devore. From those recordings, where does Mr Hobbs feature?”

 

 

 

“Um…”

 

 

 

“So the thought of them moving to Texas, for however long, spurred you to take the children starting with Gus? And that manifested itself how?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know what...”

 

 

 

“You mean you two co-kidnappers didn’t talk about how you were going to traumatise a six year old boy?”

 

 

 

“I…”

 

 

 

“So you sent a text to Ms Peterson telling her to collect Gus from school?”

 

 

 

“No, we were going to collect him from Mel’s. Not sure why she went…”

 

 

 

“Silence! I will have silence!” Judge Finch yells as there are incredulous gasps and mutterings.

 

 

 

“We will question Ms Peterson’s part in this heinous crime in due course, but back to you.”

 

 

 

“I want to…”

 

 

 

“Do not interrupt me. Your honour, please may we play the surveillance video of the day of the kidnap?”

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

The court watches in silence as he takes one child after another out of the carriers with a smile on his face as he did so.

 

 

 

“Wait a second! Wait a second! You said that they were watching us all the time, right?”

 

 

 

Okay what?

 

 

 

“Yes. Why?”

 

 

 

“Then he should be arrested!” He yells somewhat triumphantly.

 

 

 

Who should?” I am confused...seriously what the fuck is he talking about?

 

 

 

He gets the same creepy fucking smile he had in the video. “Justin Taylor-Kinney should be arrested for assault!”

 

 

 

“Assault?” Judge Finch echoes. “When did he assault you?”

 

 

 

“You mean apart from every time he came between us and Brian, your honour?! Well…” He pauses for dramatic effect. “After my arrest I woke up in hospital and was told by Brian, you know his husband who he thinks loves him, that Justin clotheslined me in the bathroom and covered me in shit...actual shit! So that’s assault. So he should be arrested! Brian doesn’t lie!” He looks round the court with unwarranted smugness.

 

 

 

“Why were you in the bathroom in the diner? You had three children under a year old in your van alone, anything could’ve happened to them!”

 

 

 

“The van was locked; they were fine. I was going for JR. We weren’t supposed to go for her, but she was there and I figured what the hell. But back to this assault charge, why isn’t someone arresting him?” He demands.

 

 

 

“Because he was stopping the potential kidnapping of a young child by a stranger.” I explain as slowly as I can without people thinking I am being patronising!

 

 

 

“I’m not a stranger! I’m her father!”

 

 

 

“And you think she would’ve gone with you?”

 

 

 

“Of course!”

 

 

 

“Your honour, please may I show the video of the interview between Gumdrop...sorry, but it’s such a cute name, I mean Jenny Rebecca Marcus Bruckner, Gus Marcus Taylor-Kinney and the social worker?”

 

 

 

“And this is…”

 

 

 

“Exhibit 1F, your honour.”

 

 

 

“Ah yes, proceed.”

 

 

 

The screen shows Gus and Jenny Rebecca in a room with Brian, Justin, Ben and Melanie, sitting far behind them and a psychologist and a specialist from child services…

 

 

 

Child services specialist: Hi Gus, Jenny how…

 

 

 

Gus: she prefers Gumdrop.

 

 

 

Child services specialist: Okay, hi Gus and Gumdrop, how are you today?

 

 

 

Gus: we’re okay. Daddy, papa, momma and Uncle Ben said you want to ask us about mommy and Uncle Michael.

 

 

 

CSS: Yes we do.

 

 

 

Gus: can I help Gumdrop if she doesn’t know the answer? She’s real little and I don’t want you to make her head spin

 

 

 

CSS: Yes. And can you explain head spin to me?

 

 

 

Gus: You know when you ask a question with big words that we don’t understand?

 

 

 

CSS: You mean you don’t want me to confuse you or Gumdrop?

 

 

 

Gus: Yes I don’t want that.

 

 

 

CSS: I will try very hard not to. Now I want you and Gumdrop to look at the screen can you tell me who those people are? Gus, I want you to answer first.

 

 

 

Gus: that’s easy! Daddy, papa, momma and Uncle Ben!

 

 

 

CSS: great. Now Gumdrop, who are these people?

 

 

 

Gumdrop/JR: Ganka, Gamma, Hunner and Ganna Jen.

 

 

 

CSS: very good. Now Gus who are these people?

 

 

 

Gus: Ruthie, Uncle Blake and Uncle Ted...they’re going to be daddies! Daddy told me, he’s really happy for Uncle Ted and he’s going to be a goodfather and so’s papa!

 

 

 

CSS: goodfather?

 

 

 

Brian: He means godfather.

 

 

 

CSS [laughs] I see. Now Gumdrop who is this?

 

 

 

Gumdrop: Papa and Carmy.

 

 

 

CSS: great and this?

 

 

 

Gumdrop: Auntie K, she works with Gamma

 

 

 

CSS: and this person, who is this person?

 

 

 

Gumdrop: [frowning on screen at the picture of Michael as she knew him] was daddy

 

 

 

CSS: Was daddy?

 

 

 

Gumdrop: Yes, Ben is now my daddy. Don’t see him [points at screen] no more

 

 

 

Gus: anymore Gumdrop, it’s we don’t see him anymore

 

 

 

Gumdrop: we don’t see him anymore

 

 

 

CSS: and who is this?

 

 

 

Onscreen image shows Devore as he was at the time of his arrest.

 

 

 

Gumdrop: don’t know.

 

 

 

CSS: Gus do you know who this is?

 

 

 

Gus: No

 

 

 

Gumdrop: He’s a stranger-danger isn’t he Gus-Gus?

 

 

 

Gus: Yes Gumdrop. I taught her that! I saids to her if she doesn’t know someone who comes up to her she’s got to run away and shout stranger-danger as loud as she can! And if someone she doesn’t know tries to pick her up, it’s the one time she’s allowed to bite and scratch isn’t it?

 

 

 

CSS: Yes Gus, when its stranger-danger that’s the one time she’s allowed to do it! Well done for teaching her that!

 

 

 

I nod and the video is switched off. I clear my throat as I have been taken completely off-guard at the protectiveness that such a little boy has for his sister. And so, it seems, has the court.

 

 

 

“So she’d recognise you and go with you, would she?” I ask Devore.

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

“Mr Devore?”

 

 

 

“Obviously she would recognise my voice so she would go with me!” He almost shrieks in relief that he’s seemingly found an answer.

 

 

 

“Isn’t that what Ms Peterson said about Gus? But with her, the circumstances would be different…”

 

 

 

“Different how?” He interrupts.

 

 

 

“Simple. She would just need to take off the wig she’d been wearing so he would recognise her.” I pause as he stares furiously at Peterson. “And that’s exactly what she did.”

 

 

 

“WHAT?” He explodes. “You were wearing a fucking wig?! You ruined my fucking hair!”

 

 

 

“Way to focus on the bigger picture, Mr Devore.” I sneer.

 

 

 

He turns back to me. “What?”

 

 

 

“Mr Devore, how did you feel on the morning of the kidnapping? As in within yourself, did you feel well?”

 

 

 

“I wasn’t well. We had a dodgy take-out the night before and…”

 

 

 

“Mr Devore, come on!” I am getting sick and tired of playing helping the blind see!

 

 

 

“Come for you ...not likely!” He snarks and that goes down like a lead balloon.

 

 

 

“This was her plan all along....”

 

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

 

“She was going to kill you and pin the blame on Hobbs.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Pleaase review kindly and constructively...thank you.