- Text Size +

CHAPTER 16 - RULES, HARSH REALITY...AND THIS IS ABOUT YOU!

 

LINDSAY

 

This is the ultimate betrayal! I feel utterly blindsided. After all we discussed at the time, that she’s done this...  

 

“Wait a minute. What do you mean the same applies to Ben and I? How do you propose I pay support when I have no means of income?” Michael’s incessant whine cuts through my thoughts.

 

“How do you work out you won’t have any money?” Emmett frowns. “You can use the money you get from the sale of the shop for that and also, oh I don’t know... get a job?”

 

“You don’t know what my finances are like right now, Emmett!”  He snaps. “Nobody does!”

 

“I do.” Ted points out. “I’m Brian and Justin’s personal accountant, remember? When you joined in partnership with, what is now, Kinney-Taylor Enterprises, you had to submit your accounts for the shop and it is doing quite well. But it would need to be brought up to snuff, I do like that phrase, in order to achieve its best value. I will meet you tomorrow, as well as Justin, so we can see what the auditor thinks of a refit, at least. It has seen better days.”

 

Emmett leans across and swats Ted’s hand. “Behave Teddy! This is obviously very traumatic for Michael. You know, actually having to work for a living, without having the backup of Ben and Brian to bail him out.”

 

“So what’s the best thing to do? Set up the account and then set up the schedule or the other way around?” Brian has recovered from his shock and is all business.

 

“The setting up of the account is a separate, but legally enforceable, issue. Let’s all go back to my house and sort out the schedule. Now is as good a time as ever.” Mel stands up and looks like she doesn’t have a care in the world. “How did you guys get here, Ben?”  

 

“Oh AngelCars. We got the Daimler, we couldn’t believe it. Seems the Lexus has engine problems. Lucky for us!”  

 

Michael leaps up from his seat. “Then I can share with you and…”

 

“You need to ask, not demand.” Justin cuts across him.  

 

“I’m not talking to you!” He snaps and rolls his eyes at me. “Ben, call whoever it is that is driving you and tell them they will be making another stop after, or would it be, before you?”

 

“No.” Ben replies. “Since I don’t want to share a house with you, I sure as fuck don’t want to share a car. Hunter as you’re not really needed for this, why not call Carmine to take you home and I’m sure Ruth will drop me off.  Mel, will you share with them?”

 

Before she could answer, Ted pipes up saying that he’d share with Hunter and soon everyone is going. Much, I think to the relief of Carl and Debs, who really do look like they’ve had their fill of the pair of us.

 

“So, how are we supposed to get there?” I demand, shooting daggers at Mel while Michael glares at Ben.

 

“You could always take a taxi!  But I have a much better solution, I’ll go with Brian and Justin.” She giggles at the scowl on Justin’s face and I bite my tongue. “Hang on a minute, Justin! Sheesh now that’s a great you’re fucking with me right? look if ever I saw one!  Lindsay, you take my car and follow us and then when we’re finished setting up the schedule, you two can take a cab home.”

 

“There... non-existent problem is solved!” Debs smiles, earning another glare from Michael.  She glares back then clears her throat. “When you guys have sorted the visitation schedule out, maybe you can let me know the dates so I can keep them free if needs be?”

 

“I uh, yeah not a problem.” Ben stumbles out and Brian nods looking equally baffled. “Okay, let’s call AngelCars and get this sorted out.”  

 

“Let me just get my things out of the car in the meantime.” Mel says and starts to head out.

 

“Mel, there’s no need for that.” I object.  

 

“As demonstrated by your earlier behaviour, there is every need!” She states and walks out.

 

MEL

 

I have to say, I love the Rolls, especially for the look of envy it brought to their faces!

 

We got home and immediately, Brian and Justin commandeered one end of the sofa with Ben and I taking the other.  

 

Michael really doesn’t believe that Brian has called time on their non-existent fun in the sun. There will be no Palm Springs retirement. Rage is not going to be hanging his super-pants up with Zephyr’s.  Zephyr has been eclipsed in every sense of the word!

 

“Do we get to have a drink this time?” Lindsay carps. “I don’t know about anyone else but I could do with one.”  

 

“Tea or coffee?” She frowns at me. “Oh, you’re not going to bathe the kids before you go, then?”  

 

“It’s only five; you said they were getting here for six!” Michael complains. “If it is so much trouble for you, perhaps I should get it.” He stands up huffily and heads to the kitchen.

 

You should sit down!” Ben snaps. “This is not the loft where you thought you had the God given best friend’s right to come and go as you pleased. This is Mel’s home. Show some fucking manners!”

 

Michael opens and then closes his mouth in fury but does sit down. His mutinous expression no longer has an effect on Ben as he simply glowers back.  

 

“So, let’s start, shall we? Who should we begin with Gus or JR?” Ben asks.

 

“What do you mean?” Michael frowns. “Why can’t the visits be the same time for both?”

 

“Because we want to spend quality time with Gus and we can’t with JR there.  And the same should go for you?” Justin explains. “Yes, before you pitch a bitch fit, there could be times when both children will be with all five or six of us but that shouldn’t be the norm.”

 

“I think that’s fair. Very fair.” Ben nods.

 

“What do you mean five? It should be six! Why wouldn’t you include Mel?” Lindsay points out frostily.  

 

“I’m not excluding Mel...” Justin’s tone is even icier. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it from him but Brian doesn’t look surprised in the least. “When either Gus or JR are with their other parents, that’s Mel’s turn for a break. She is their primary caregiver, after all.”

 

“They will be in the nursery or the crèche during the day.” Lindsay retorts. “Pray tell, what would she need a break from?”  

 

“Working during the day and then looking after the children at night. You didn’t even last a day when you were suspended from Bloom.” Brian responds coolly, earning a giggle from Justin.

 

“Gus wasn’t well!” She barks back.

 

“Gus out-tantrumed you and you couldn’t handle it so you called in the Debbie Cavalry!”  She looks taken aback by the savageness of his tone. “And before either of you get any ideas into your heads, when you have the children, you have the children. No calling Debs to the rescue when the going gets fucking tough!”

 

“I agree.” Ben again nods and Michael is close to exploding.

 

The lights coming up the drive stall his queen out and when Lindsay goes to get up to open the door, I don’t stop her.  

 

Marie comes in carrying a sleeping JR. “She’s just gone off. I bathed them both before I brought them home. We got back home earlier than I thought.”

 

“Oh thanks, Marie. Let me take her upstairs.” I kiss her cheek and let her go. Lindsay barely acknowledges her, she’s so fixated on Gus.  

 

Just as I’m about to close her door, I find Ben outside. “Just a kiss goodnight.” He whispers.  “I won't wake her.” I nod and wait for him to follow me down. While he heads back to the lounge, I head to the kitchen and grab a bottle of red from the counter and some glasses. When I get back in the lounge there’s happy grins from the sofa occupants!  

 

“Lambskin.” I can hear Lindsay’s cooing in the hallway. “Mommy has missed you.”  

 

“Where’d you go mommy?”  He asks her and we all wait for her response.  

 

“Mommy has to go away for a while but I’ll be back.” She tells.

 

Oh no you fucking won’t!

 

“Okay mommy. Where’s momma? Momma!” He calls out.

 

“In here Gus!” I call back and he runs in and then comes to a screeching halt.

 

“Daddy! Jussin! You're here!  Mommy, daddy and Jussin are here! And Uncle Ben too!” Ben looks surprised and pleased that Gus acknowledged him.

 

“Hi Gus, did you enjoy your playdate?” Ben asks as Gus clambers onto the sofa to sit next to his Jussin.  

 

“Oh yes!” He yawns. “But I’m not tired. So I can stay up and talk to daddy and Jussin! Oh, hello Uncle Michael.”

 

Jussin turns his head into Brian’s shoulder and Ben finds the bottom of his glass suddenly very interesting. “Enjoying the bouquet, Ben?” Brian asks and Ben looks puzzled. “I find it has the scent of dismissal. A very good year for dismissal, don’t you think?” Snickers abound while the other two cringe. Lindsay recovers first.

 

“Gus, come on. You’ve got to have your bath and then I can read you a bedtime story.”

 

“I’ve had my bath mommy. Auntie Marie gave it to me, remember? Besides a bath will make me sleepy and I want to talk to daddy and Jussin. Then when I’m tired, they can read me a story.” He wiggles between the pair of them and Justin looks at his watch before giving Brian a nod.

 

I frown and watch fascinated as Brian takes Gus’s hand and starts stroke the palm in circles. Then after a few minutes, he lets go and Justin does the same to his other hand, while talking quietly to him. After ten minutes of that, Gus’s head starts to droop.

 

“Can I take him up?” Justin asks quietly as Gus starts to snuggle into Brian’s side.  

 

“No you can’t!” Lindsay hisses and starts to approach...

 

“Lindsay.” Brian’s tone is low and barely controlled. “Let Justin take him up, he won’t wake him and you will.” His eyes flash with fury and taunting, as if daring her to try and take Gus off Justin.  

 

“Come on, little man.” Justin croons, rubbing the middle of Gus’s back and all Gus does is yawn and mumble. “Night daddy.” Then he buries his face in Justin’s neck.

 

She retreats back to her seat, though she does swipe a glass of wine on the way. Her look right now reminds me of the villain on Dora the Explorer when he’s thwarted, all pinched and conniving. Damn, I have got to stop watching TV with Gus!

 

Ten minutes later, Justin is back. “Didn’t even wake when I changed him into his PJs.”  

 

“So, what was the hand thing?” Ben asks before I could.

 

“I don’t know how it happened or why, but he finds it relaxing especially if you talk quietly to him. Normally takes about ten minutes.” Brian shrugs a little embarrassed.

 

“I didn't get to see JR.” Michael moans, looking at me.

 

“You mean you didn't get up to go see JR.” I correct him. “But let's not get into a mudslinging match again. Shall we start the first visit next weekend?”

 

“Sure. Let Lindsay and Michael have them. Got a business meeting I can't get out of.” Brian tells us.

 

“So it will be the four of us.” Michael states. “Where would you like us to meet? Let’s not make it here so we can let Mel have her break. So I think the loft or....”

 

“Four of us?” Justin’s patience has run out. “You’re forgetting that I co-own Kinnetic. If Brian has a meeting, then I have a meeting. And for the last time Michael, you are not getting back in the loft! Back to you three and the kids... okay JR I kinda get as she’s so tiny but why can’t Gus go to the park?”

 

“I don't have the money for that kind of thing.” Lindsay mumbles, looking reproachfully at him.

 

“The park is free. We can take a picnic or something. I’d love to run around with the little guy.” Ben suggests, holding onto his Zen as tightly as he can.

 

“But what about JR? She can't do those things.” Michael tries again.

 

“Run no.” Ben says tightly. “But she can practice crawling and play with her toys on the mat.”

 

“I think that’s settled and the following weekend they spend with me and we alternate. If there is a problem, you must let the others know promptly understand?” I look meaningfully at the mutinous twosome.

 

“Agreed.” Lindsay says but I know her. Something will come up. Well she can dream on; I have a plan!

 

“Going to call Ruth; you guys better call a cab.” Brian reaches for his glass.

 

“I don’t see why we can't share with you, Brian.” Lindsay pouts.

 

“Because they don’t want to. How many times do they have to say it?” I retort.  

 

“Brian is enthralled at the moment but he will come to his senses.” She looks maliciously at Justin as she declares, “He always does. And...”

 

“Which wannabe princess mantra are you about to spout now?”  

 

“I am not a wannabe princess, Mel! Stop calling me that!” Lindsay seethes.

 

“Mel, she’s right she’s not a wannabe princess.” Justin turns to her. “She’s a never gonna be princess.” We’re stunned into silence by the viciousness of the remark, then the cab beeps.  “Your carriage is here Cindernever and Crumpledforeskin. Don’t keep him waiting...the meter’s running.”

 

With one death glare at Justin, they flounce out.

 

“Cinder-Cindernever and Crum-Crumpledforeskin!” Ben shakes with laughter. “I have to tell Hunter!”  

 

“Twat!”  Brian chuckles.

 

I have to say, as inventiveness goes, Justin knocked it out of the park on that one!

 

RED CAPE COMICS - EARLY MONDAY MORNING

 

TED

 

We are unsurprised to find that there is no Michael when we get to the store. Humphrey Franks, the auditor, looks relieved and I can’t help but ask why.

 

“Let’s just say, his voice carries!” He chuckles.

 

“Carries?” Justin looks puzzled. “You and he haven’t…”

 

“No, goodness me, no! However, our company dealt with him a few years ago when this partnership was established…” He shudders for emphasis. “Let’s get this done before he remembers that he’s supposed to be here. I remember my colleague complaining about his timekeeping.  He was four hours late for an appointment once and then had the nerve to take his time with inventory!”

 

“Agreed.  Let’s get this done and quickly!” Justin laughs.

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

We are still smarting from the names we were called last night by Justin. We ended up drinking far too much when we got home and we’ve only just got up!

 

“I feel like shit!” Michael grumbles as he gets some coffee.  

 

“One word… Advil!” I smile tiredly at him and hand him two pills and then frown. “Weren’t you supposed to be at the store this morning?”

 

“Oh fuck!” He groans and knocks back the coffee.  “I forgot that, around about the sixth glass of wine!” He reaches for his phone. “Brian, It’s me. Can we not do this audit thing today? I’m not… What do you mean speak to Justin?!  Hello!  Brian? Hello!”  

 

He tries to call back but clearly it’s going to voicemail. “Fuck that, I’m not speaking to him!  I’ll deal with it when I feel a bit more with it. Can you believe the way he was last night?  Crowing and preening like the big I am more like the big am not!  And as for Ben!”

 

“Yes, he suddenly was father of the year where JR was concerned! And calling Gus little guy, ugh made me so annoyed.”

 

“So what’s going to happen on Saturday?”  

 

“Park, I suppose but I would have preferred to be indoors.”

 

“You know what we need to do?” He leans back in his chair. “We need to get to the diner and get some post-hangover food.”

 

“Excellent idea!”  I smile at him.

 

DINER - AN HOUR LATER

 

DEBS

 

Well they said they were and now they have. Part of me is sad that it has come to this but he’s, as usual if I’m honest, brought it upon himself. And speak of the devil!  He looks awful.

 

“Good afternoon. How you feeling?” I ask, approaching with coffee.

 

“How do you think?” He gripes, sliding into the booth with an equally fragile looking Lindsay.

 

“You were warned though, Michael. I just didn’t think it would happen this quickly. But I guess when they want things done, they get them done.”

 

“Yeah, it’s amazing what using Brian’s money can do!” He growls and then rolls his eyes.  “And here comes another friend of mine.  With friends like you Ted, I don’t need enemies!”

 

“Where were you this morning, Michael? We waited a long time for you.”

 

“I had things to do that didn’t involve catering to his whims.”

 

Ted sighs. “Yes, I can smell that. Well here you go; this is their offer, this doesn’t include any works to be carried out during the refit, which will be deducted, but if you accept now that’s what you get. You are more than welcome to get an independent auditor to look at the store and inventory but a representative of Kinney-Taylor Enterprise must be present at the time. The store is now closed and will be until the dissolution of the partnership is complete and…”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?!”

 

Oh shit he doesn’t know. Michael, why don’t you pull your head out of your ass and listen!

 

“You knew the store was going to be assessed today and that included all inventory, including that in the apartment above the store. You’re quite the hoarder. We told you to meet us at the store to give you your keys but you didn’t show up. In fact, you tried to cancel the appointment this afternoon. This is called a delaying tactic, which is frowned upon in legal circles. And speaking of legal circles, Lindsay here is the figure that needs to be transferred to the account on Friday by the close of business. As Mel said, it is legally enforceable and a very good reason has to be given as to why the money can’t be transferred. Now that I have killed two birds with one stone, I shall take my leave of you.”

 

They both look dumbstruck. They sit there clutching their pieces of paper. “Look, you guys need to go and seek legal or financial advice or something and quickly.” I order them as slowly they come out of their fog of disbelief.  

 

“Ma, you have to help me.”  Michael turns to me. “You need to speak to Brian to get him to change his mind on this. You’re the only one that can persuade…”

 

“No. Michael, I don’t and more importantly I won’t speak to Brian. You don’t get it, do you? You think by not talking about it absolves you from guilt. It doesn’t!  I haven’t forgiven you, Michael and I doubt Brian ever will.”

 

“Michael, come on!” Lindsay suddenly stands up. “I have had enough of this shit!”

 

MICHAEL

 

“Lindsay!  Wait!  Slow down!  Where are we going?”

 

“To the bank of course!” She hails a cab and one stops quickly. “I can’t transfer something I don’t have!” She scoffs. “I’m a WASP and we don’t like being messed with.”

 

An hour later, we’re outside the bank reeling. It seems that Mel thought ahead and put a hold on the account, blocking any withdrawals. She was granted a temporary order because of the false reports we filed against her.

 

“So what are we going to do now?” My head is pounding and I feel the need to puke.

 

“Go home and get some sleep.” She drops her head in her hands. “We need to deal with this with clear heads!”

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - EARLY EVENING

 

LINDSAY

 

I feel a little better, head wise, but still can’t believe what has happened today.  I grab the paper that Ted handed me earlier and read the figure again. Has Brian really given us that much over the years?  Mel had insisted that we kept a careful account of what he gave us for Gus. I have to admit that I dipped a couple of times when I needed to. That darling suit here and some beautiful shoes there, I simply never told her and now I have to find the fucking difference!  

 

Two tearful hours later, my parents have transferred the money to me, praising me for finally leaving Mel and coming to my senses!  

 

MICHAEL

 

I sit up and read their offer and it is not bad, if truth be told. Then I read the inventory list and feel sick to my stomach. Now I wish I had taken Mel’s advice and put the stuff that was in the apartment in storage because they are included.  

 

As sad as I am to have to lose those, I feel happy that the ones at Ma’s at in the attic at Ben’s are still mine!

 

THE LOFT - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

I stop kissing him for a minute because I know that Ruth will be here soon. I look into his beautiful blue eyes and he brushes his fingers over my kiss bruised lips. Oh, that feels good!

 

“She does have perfect timing as usual!” He murmurs as the familiar beep of Ruth’s text comes through. We make our way downstairs and I whimper. “What? What’s the matter?”  He looks up at me in concern.

 

“A Chevrolet Alpheon. She has a mint condition Chevrolet Alpheon!  Look at that!” I turn his head and his jaw drops. “Why are you doing this to me?!”  I grouch as she opens the boot and we put our cases in.  

 

“Cos I can.” She smirks and opens the door and we slide in. I was wrong. This is not mint condition; this is beyond perfect.  

 

“Jesus, Brian!” He sighs, wriggling into the seat. “You gotta feel this!”

 

“Not helping, twat!” I grump.

 

We’re on our way to New York for the weekend with Daphne. As we near the airport, I can see the look of disappointment knowing we have to get out of the car marring his face. But also, there is a touch of relief. It was Mel’s idea that we go to New York early. So here we are!

 

“You guys okay?” Ruth pulls over and turns around to face us. “Never heard you so quiet unless you are sucking face.”

 

Justin sighs. “For the last few days, we’ve heard nothing but moans and complaints about us going away this weekend. Lindsay has been laying it on especially thick but luckily, Gus is fine with it. Michael has been turning up at the loft, wanting to discuss the store offer but only with Brian. And if it’s not that, then people, well those two, are yet a-fucking-gain interfering in our plans for the wedding.”

 

“What does your wedding have to do with anyone but you two?” She shakes her head in annoyance.  

 

“I promised Gus that he would be the ring bearer and…”

 

“He’s four, for fuck sake!” She snaps crossly and we’re both taken aback. “Sorry, really sorry but this is ridiculous!  Do you know what you need?”

 

We look at each other and then her shaking our heads.

 

“24 hours, a judge and a license.” She states emphatically. “What they gonna do when you get back? Haul you in front of a judge and demand that you get divorced?!  Who is going to look cray-cray when the judge asks why and they say because they are in love and we don’t like it?!”

 

“Divorced?” I frown at Justin, who looks equally confused.

 

“GET MARRIED IN NEW YORK!” She yells at us. “I will drive you there. It takes six hours tops, you work on the license. You could be all done by Friday, married Saturday and home Sunday as per the original arrangement. The only people who don’t know where you are right now are the people who sure as fuck don’t need to know!  Oh I am so pissed!”

 

“But I promised Gus that he would be at my wedding to his Jussin…”

 

“And he will be. Just call it a blessing instead. He’s not going to know the difference. He just knows that his daddy loves his Jussin and he gets to hold the rings. He will still be doing what he would be doing! Get married on your terms, nobody else’s. And as an incentive, after you get married you can drive this, just the two of you, back to Pittsburgh. I won’t be able to stop you if you want to make a christening pitstop...the car seats are buttery soft leather.”  She smirks knowingly.

 

“We’re doing this. You know that, right?” I tell my soon to be husband.

 

“Oh yeah! You work on licenses; I’ll work on our fuck route for the way home!”

 

“And put down blankets for crying out loud!”  Ruth laughs as she starts the car.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks.