- Text Size +

CHAPTER 36 - SAN FRAN, SCREENING AND ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

 

CAR TO PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - EARLY SATURDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

I adjust Justin’s head in my lap and call out to Daph to stop her from falling off the seat as she starts to turn over.

 

“Thanks.” She mumbles before going straight back to sleep.

 

“Need gas.” Ruth calls out as she pulls in. “If you can, put them on the back seat and take the front.” She grins as she gets out.  

 

I can’t help but laugh and after some sleep wrangling, I have managed to get them to move. That’s the excellent thing about Old Reliable. The back seat does pull down flat...as we happily found out...so after covering them both with a blanket, we’re off again.

 

“Are you going to go to the villa to check our work?” She asks.

 

“No, we trust the two of you.”

 

“You know about your cancer... is it the type that is hereditary?” She gives my leg a squeeze. “It’s something Jennifer said when we were over there. Maybe you should get that checked out.”

 

“Yeah, I will speak to the doc when I get home.”

 

“And not on your own.” Jennifer’s voice makes me jump. “Gary is at the airport waiting to bring you back here so we can make the call.”

 

“Yes Mother Taylor.”

 

“And I think you should get their tickets changed, once you’ve told him what is happening and should you be able to get an appointment this week.”

 

“I’ll get Cyn to look into that.”

 

“Good. Now Ruth, have a safe flight and Brian kiss them both for me.”

 

“I will. See you later.”

 

“Bye.”

 

We drive along in silence for a few minutes. “Sneaky, but effective.”

 

“You taught me well.” She smirks and I can do nothing but nod in agreement.

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO - FOUR HOURS LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

We both stare at the phone. “So you recommend that we get the genetic test done sooner rather than later?” Jennifer asks, I can’t speak.

 

“Absolutely, but don’t panic. There’s an excellent chance he doesn’t carry it and if he does, then it’s just a case of yearly monitoring. Brian? Brian, are you still in the room?”

 

“Y-yeah.”

 

“Do not panic. Can you arrange for Gus to be brought in this week?”

 

“I-I have to speak to his momma but yeah no problem.”

 

“I will email you dates in the next couple of hours. But I have to emphasise that you do not worry unnecessarily. You are cancer free; we got it all. I am 99% sure it is not coming back and I don’t think your son carries the gene. So breathe.”

 

“Thanks doc.”

 

We sit in silence for a few minutes. “Brian, you need to call Justin.”

 

“He’s still on the plane.” I whisper. “What if…”

 

“Then we deal with it.”

 

“I’ve just got my rights back…” I swallow hard. “It’s not fair if…”

 

“Come here my darling boy, come here.” I bury my face in her neck and over my sobbing, I hear her speak. “Debs it’s me, your boy needs you.”

 

Three hours later, we’ve managed to persuade Justin not to come back immediately and I am being mothered to death. Thankfully, Emmy is here but that was only because he was there during the call.

 

“Have you had enough?” He whispers.

 

“Yes. Please get me out of here.” I whisper back.

 

“Well we’re off!” Emmy trills and before they can say anything, we are sprinting down the driveway!

 

RUTH’S CONDO - AN HOUR LATER

 

BRIAN

 

Emmett and I are having beers in the cabana. “So Arno... Any thoughts?” Emmy asks.

 

“For once, Cinders and Crumpled were right. Arno’s a fine specimen…” I chuckle at his expression. “But I like my nuts without a stiletto embedded in them.”

 

“True. Although after 5 years of waiting, they seem to be at a low simmer.”

 

I snort and almost spit out my beer. “No, they’re not! Arno came twice...once at the table and on the way back home.”

 

“Oh I missed the table one! But I thought that was you on the coach!” He cackles.

 

Oh jebeno tako dobro is Croatian for oh fuck so good; Justin heard and had to google!”

 

“I see.”

 

“So Lucas?” Emmy is blushing...actually blushing! “Is he going to be a plus one? And how is he?”

 

“Yes and very good. Do you think that…”

 

“If you take on board anything that Crumpled says when he’s spitting poison because he’s lost the love of a good man, then I will never call you Honeycutt again!”

 

“Message received! Can I ask what it’s like?”

 

“With Justin or raw with Justin?”

 

Raw with Justin?! In that case, both!”

 

I smirk and then look up to the ceiling to give it some thought. “It is perfect, like he was made just for me. And if I am honest, it has always been that way since the night I met him.”

 

“Is it just with Justin or would Crumpled be this bitter and jealous with anyone you had ended up with?”

 

“There wasn’t supposed to be anyone for me, if I’m honest. We were supposed to be two old queens in Palm Springs in his world, but I had every intention of dying young.”

 

“But along came Baby and his bubble butt.”

 

“True, so poor Crumpled Foreskin is no longer able to have his fantasy life with me inside his head. And it’s driving him crazy.” I twirl my wedding ring and once again, smile.

 

PALACE HOTEL, SAN FRAN - TUESDAY MORNING

 

JUSTIN & DAPH’S SUITE

 

JUSTIN

 

“Are you absolutely sure you don’t mind?” I ask again.

 

“For the last time, no!”

 

“Thanks Daph! Enjoy when Tony gets here!”

 

“We will!”

 

RUTH’S CONDO - TUESDAY LATE EVENING

 

BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

I peer at the shape in the darkness and my heart soars, I lift the sheet and he crawls in fully clothed. “So glad you're home.” I try to kiss away his tears then hold him while he cries. “Sssh, twat! It’s going to be okay, it has to be.”

 

DR SHAW’S OFFICE - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

I am a bag of nerves! And to be honest, furious with Brian for not telling me about the cancer himself. And now we’re here waiting for the genetic test to happen. The door opens and Mel and Gus come in along with Brian and Justin.

 

“Brian, good afternoon, is this Gus? Come on in, this won’t take long.” Dr Shaw smiles as he leads us in.

 

As we file in, Gus doesn’t seem to be bothered by what’s happening.

 

“Now Gus, I want you to open your mouth and I’m going to put this swab against your cheek…”

 

“Daddy and papa said it won’t hurt so I am going to be brave.” Gus says, opening his mouth wide.

 

“There you go, all done.” Dr Shaw smiles. “Now I’m going to put a rush on the results as requested Brian.”

 

“Thanks. And well done, Sonny Boy.”

 

As we head outside, I look around and don’t see Mel’s car. “How did you get here, Mel?”

 

“Brian picked us up and he’s dropping us off.” She replies, ruffling Gus’s hair. “How are you holding up? Scary, isn’t it?”

 

“He should have told us! Having to hear it like that, was awful.” I tell her quietly.

 

“But that wasn’t how Brian operated then. But for Michael to…”

 

“Him having to keep it to himself must have been awful.” I interrupt and she just glares at me.

 

“But he didn’t keep it to himself! He told Ben, remember?” She reminds me sharply. “And when Justin asked Michael if he knew about it, he said he didn’t and not to tell Brian that they did. But what did he do?”

 

I look at her blankly.

 

“Ah, he’s not filled you in on all of it, has he? And I bet you didn’t even ask, did you?” She shakes her head. “He went around to Brian to bleat and moan about what he was going to do without him and told him that Justin knew.”

 

“I’m sure he had his reasons…”

 

“Sure he did in your mind. Let me assure you, Lindsay, that Michael’s reasons had nothing to do with Brian being sick, but all about him and his feelings! And I bet you’re standing there really wondering and fuming about why he didn’t tell your egotistical ass. What do you think happened when Michael’s reasons outed the fact that Justin knew too?” I shrug. “Almost what you want now! So you can take Michael’s reasons and shove them up his ass...and your own.”  

 

“Momma, here comes daddy and papa!” Gus cries out, bouncing. “Mommy you are going to love the car! It’s a Ruthie Special!”

 

“I bet it is!” I mutter to myself. However, the look from Mel tells me that I didn’t mutter quietly enough.

 

“Want to strap him in?” Mel asks, but I can tell she’s pissed.

 

I nod and am surprised to find Justin sitting in the back. Once Gus is buckled in, I give him a kiss. “So I will see you on Sunday, Gus.”

 

“Where do you want to be dropped off Lindsay?” Justin asks as Mel gets in the front seat.

 

“Oh um, Carnegie.” I reply and get in next to Gus.

 

The drive back to the university is filled with Gus chattering away. He still doesn’t seem to be bothered by what has happened and I start to relax. “I will see you on Sunday, mommy!” Gus smiles. “Member to bring your apron!”

 

“Apron?” I ask, looking at Justin as I can feel the exasperation radiating off of Mel.

 

“Yes. It’s a cookie competition. Gus and Emmy are judges.” Justin responds.

 

“I look forward to it, Lambskin.” I tell him.

 

“Mommy, can you tell Uncle Michael too and also tell him that he can’t have grandma help. He has to do it by himself.”

 

Brian snorts and I can’t help but smile because Michael can’t cook desserts.

 

“I will do that. Thank you for the lift Brian.” I cut my eye at Justin, who is busy on his phone.

 

As I head to my class, I seethe. I do not like being ignored by someone so ungrateful!

 

DEBS & CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

As we make our way to the kitchen, there’s eye rolling because we are a bit late.

 

“Justin? What are you doing here?” Lindsay asks in surprise.

 

“Where else would I be?” Boy Ass replies. “Brian, stop it!” He slaps his hand out of the bowl of marshmallows.

 

“Uh New York? You know, at the pre-Rathman meetings.”

 

“I explained the situation and those meetings are happening after the first show instead. The meetings have nothing to do with the shows or the residency. They were arranging other gallery meetings for me...Brian I mean it, stop!”

 

Lindsay looks like she’s going to explode.

 

“Mommy, come on! You and Uncle Michael have to catch up!” Gus pulls us to the table.

 

“Ruth, I had no idea you would be here and Arno too.” I smile at her, but she doesn’t smile back. Then I have an idea and smile wider. Still nothing.

 

“New York is not being discussed today!” Carl orders. “This is Gus’s day.”

 

Three hours later, we are in the lounge, the last of the cookies have been taken out and the house smells great.

 

“As a matter of interest... Brian, are you going to have a stag do?” I ask, garnering confused looks.

 

“I’m already married, Michael. Why would I need a stag do?”

 

I roll my eyes at his insistence that he’s already married. But anyway… “A last hurrah reliving your past... that kind of thing.”

 

“My past is exactly that my past…and you rolling your eyes over me being married doesn’t make it any less true. In all honesty, it’s insulting, but you’re all about that aren’t you?!”

 

“No need to be so prickly.” I laugh humourlessly. “But come on, you have to admit, you have one hell of a past?!”

 

“Whatever poison you want to spew just get on with it so we can move on.” Ruth sighs.

 

Oh, you are sooo going to regret that!

 

“Well everyone knows about Lindsay and Brian but does Arno know about you and Brian?”

 

“Of course, I know about it.” Arno shrugs. “Although, I am unsurprised that you haven’t worked out it’s not true.”

 

“What?” Lindsay gasps.

 

“They haven’t slept together!” Justin giggles. “I can’t believe you held onto this!”

 

Mel starts to laugh too. “So Lindsay, yes it is only you that has carried Brian’s child and been fucked by him… drunkenly, I might add.”

 

Blake joins in the laughter. “And he wanted to get rid of the vaggie-cooties so badly that he had to fuck the first guy he saw straight afterwards!”

 

“Vaggie-cooties!” Emmett cackles. “Oh I have to remember that!”

 

“Aww must be so hurtful to know that your snatch really wasn’t all that memorable,” Arno interjects again. “Mel I take it she was a bit more memorable for you?

 

“I’ve had better… There was this one woman named Leda… yeah, now that I’m single again, I might give her a call. And until we connect, which we will, Ems and I are going shopping for a plaything or three!”

 

“Ooooh, I hear the Rabbitt is wonderful for that sort of thing, Mel. Sort of like what the Aneros is for men. Call me! I can do any time next week. Baby and I aren’t meeting up until late to go over ceremony plans. He’s so busy these days, you know.”

 

“I still can’t believe you Lindsay! I really thought you’d figured it out. Michael, I can understand but you…!” Ruth is still cackling and she wipes her eyes. “Seriously, you have a university education but not an ounce of smarts!

 

“Well at least Ben told me the truth about their night at the White Party, which I doubt Brian did!” I snap at the subtle dig to my intelligence.

 

“You really don’t want to go there.” Justin retorts.

 

“I can go where I want!” I snarl, completely losing control of my temper. His fucking smugness is so fucking annoying. “So you know that he’s missed out delivering some pertinent information, don’t you?” I sneer.

 

“You mean about them spending the entire night together?” Justin bites back. “You’re right, he didn’t tell me about it.” I suddenly feel vindicated and smile. “But don’t preen because Ben told me about your little tantrums when you found out. And before you think about taking the other walk down memory lane, let me assure you that Brian already told me about the way-too-much-Mikey-tongue kiss you shared. So no, you don’t get to hold that over my head as you would like. Let the hamster on the wheel in your head have a rest! But now to the point of the matter... Like you, I asked him about that night so he told me and I believe Ben when he said that they only did it once. You see, Michael, I also know that Ben’s told you about Brian’s amazing staying power. I mean, to unload and still stay...”

 

I cut him off, barely managing to tamp down my jealousy of never have experienced that from Brian and feeling insulted that he criticised the way I kiss. “Well why didn’t you ask Brian? Afraid that he would say something else?” I narrow my eyes and wait for him to stop looking at Brian to answer my questions.

 

“I didn’t say that I didn’t ask Brian, you did. We talked about it after we finished fucking in the Armani store. My-oh-my, he did look good enough to eat in those pants… so I did! Once again Ben, thanks for running interference.”

 

“Welcome.” Ben laughs and then shakes his head at me. That look of humour and disgust combined, has me ready to...

 

“Anything else you want to dig out of my past?” Brian’s tone is ice cold.

 

“Well actually now you mention it, why didn’t you tell me about the cancer?” Lindsay demands.

 

“Didn’t want to. You would have done exactly what Michael did and made it about you. Just like it wasn’t any of his business, my reasons for not saying anything wasn’t and still isn’t any of yours. But now that everyone knows and thanks to Mother Taylor’s suggestion, Gus is being tested, which is all that should matter to you at this point, this conversation is at an end.”

 

“Jennifer suggested that?” Lindsay bristles even further.

 

“See what I mean? One-track brain cell!” He says to Justin before directing his answer to Lindsay. “Yes, she did and, again, we are not discussing this anymore until the results come back. Today is Gus’s day and judging by the chattering, he and Gummy are up. Go and get them you two! Perhaps seeing what’s actually important will have some resonance but I doubt it!” Brian snarls and stalks out the back door with Justin, quickly following

 

“You heard the man. Move your asses!” Ma orders.

 

As we make our way upstairs, I can feel my ears flaming. “Since when did Ben become such a chatty fucking Kathy to Boy Ass?”

 

“Hold it you two, come back down!” We both roll our eyes but go back to the lounge.

 

Ma has her hands on her hips. Apparently, it’s time for one of her declarations. “One more attempt to shit-stir; just one more play at button-pushing and you are not coming to the christenings either!”

 

“That’s not your decision!” Lindsay exclaims.

 

“No, it’s not.” Mel states. “But I agree with Debs.”

 

“Me too.” Ben kisses Ma’s cheek.

 

“And we will make you explain to Gus why you won’t be there.” Brian says from the kitchen, he then turns to Boy Ass. “Are they cool enough now? I really need a cookie!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly. Thanks.