- Text Size +

CHAPTER 67 - RAGE-ING AND THE THUMBSUCKER PROXY

 

PRECINCT 57 - FRIDAY EVENING, TWO WEEKS LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

I try not to glare at the officer as he seems to be deliberately going slowly. “Right, Mr Novotny. You’re all set.” He smiles at me and I grimace back. I head out to hail a cab only to be surprised when I see Carl pull up beside me.

 

“Want a lift?” He asks coolly and I nod getting in. “Where to?” I look at him incredulously but he just stares back at me. “I’m not psychic.”

 

“The apartment, of course.” I growl out and the rest of the journey is made in silence.

 

LINDSAY

 

I want to weep again. Most of his stuff is back and judging by the key turning in the lock, he’s here…when I had to send him his keys I cried when I got home! But now it’s time to get my best face on! “Michael! How was your flight?!” I chirrup and give him a hug.

 

“Fine, but I had the supreme joy of getting a lift from Carl. I was hoping to only see him once, if at all, and that would’ve been at Ma’s! And it took ages for me to be processed. But enough about that... it's so good to be home! Have you been decorating?”

 

“I managed to persuade Gilda that some things needed freshening up.”

 

“Nice. Right, let me go unpack and then we can have a drink to celebrate my triumphant return!”

 

He heads to his bedroom smiling.

 

Yay all hail the conquering hero! Not!

 

RUTH & ARNO’S CONDO - SATURDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

GILDA

 

I can't believe I didn't even think of her being pregnant! She’s still a bit stunned even though it’s been two weeks since they told me. My neighbors thought I was being murdered; I screamed so loud! Arno took her to New York to tell his Baba face to face. It went down badly with Hanno and his wife. So badly that they had to be separated when Hanno made a crude remark and Arno went to put him on his ass. Julius, their father, took great pleasure in throwing them out after Hanno refused to apologise.

 

“What are you doing up so early?” Arno asks, clicking on the coffee machine.

 

“Waiting for the van to come.” I smile.

 

“What van?” He frowns.

 

“You’ll see.” I pat his arm. “How...no, actually let me start that again. Have you been putting things in a basket on Land of Nod?” The tips of his ears go pink. “Aha, I see. Well as long as you’re saving the basket and not…”

 

“No absolutely not, I promise.” He gives a shy smile. “I still can’t quite believe it.”

 

“Me neither. Now don’t fret or stress out. Understand? Ah, the van’s here. Is she awake?”

 

“Yeah, frothy milk is needed!” He chuckles.

 

“Never had a craving with the Caramels.” I smile and head to the door. “Oh don’t let her in the lounge until I call you, okay?”

 

He nods, concentrating on getting the milk just right. I chuckle as I head downstairs.

 

An hour later, I have a very emotional Ruth rocking in my old chair...yeah I weakened and got a new one for me...she’s giving me a grandchild after all! She’s still Harper and Lee’s mom but this one she gets to keep. So the least I can do is give her my broke-in chair!

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT

 

MICHAEL’S BEDROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

It feels so good to be back!  Lindsay was saying how bitchy Mel has been being over the last few weeks, especially over the tiny mistake I made over the support money. Everyone makes mistakes, right?

 

So, I am going to see my JR later today! I am wondering where we’re going to meet them. I am hoping that it’s here...and that Ben is with them so I can remind him of who the daddy really is!

 

“Michael? Earth to Michael.” Lindsay is staring at me strangely. “Are you alright? You looked like you were plotting!”

 

“I was a bit, if you must know. I was thinking about what to say to Ben later when I see him. You know, to make it clear what JR should be calling him and what she should not!”

 

She frowns. “I wouldn’t push it too far if I were you. Bear in mind that you’ve not got your rights back yet and JR has had him in her life more than you in the last few months...”

 

“But she’s my daughter!” I point out.

 

“Whom you abandoned in the eyes of the law for almost half a year.” She points out gently, but I know Lindsay. She has to be feeling smug that it’s my turn to feel the sting of those words!

 

“I did come back and forth occasionally!” I defend myself.

 

“Michael…” She faux soothes, which she expects me to take for genuine sympathy of course!

 

Instead of calling her on it, I sigh. I know that what she is saying is right even if she doesn’t really mean it. “Okay, I will play nice with the lunkhead then. But once my rights are fully restored, he’s getting the benefit of my wrath with both fucking barrels!”

 

“Exactly! Patience reaps its own reward.” She pats my arm. “So what else are you doing today?”

 

“Am trying to find the images you told me about. How can there be nothing, especially for us. Anyone would think they don't trust us.”

 

“Um Michael, they don't trust you where Rage is concerned. Wrongly in my opinion, of course.” She backtracks when my jaw drops open. “Because if they did, you would still be in partnership with them on this.”

 

LINDSAY

 

The expression on his face would be comical if this situation wasn't true. He really thinks he can get back in with Rage, both the character and the person it was based on. Even I know that’s not going to happen, especially because he’s a fool to think I would ever let it!

 

“Look, why don't we go shopping for something for JR?” He nods slowly and I tow him out of his room like the obedient lapdog that he is. I just have to make sure he stays that way!

 

TAYLOR KINNEY ENTERPRISE HQ

 

LOFT

 

BRIAN

 

“Oh no you don’t, you little dumpling. Stay still!” I chide Harper, who is wiggling her legs to stop me from putting on her romper suit.

 

“Did you just call her dumpling?” Justin chuckles as Lee plays with her daddy’s fingers.

 

“Well look at that little belly.” I grin and give said belly a kiss when Harper decides to grab my hair. “Justin...ouch! Please a little help!” I protest as she hangs on.

 

“She clearly doesn’t like her daddy calling her dumpling!” He laughs and gently eases Harper’s grip off of my precious locks. “No hair pulling, Harper!” She just looks at us both with pure innocence. “Oh you are fooling nobody, young lady. No hair pulling. We’re going to have to watch that.” I nod.

 

“Maybe speak to Mel?” I ponder and he rubs my scalp. “Tomorrow at lunch.”

 

“Yeah…” Then an evil smile spreads across his face.

 

“What...mmmf!” Harper decides to shove her fist in my mouth much to his amusement.

 

“Does that taste nice?” He snickers. “As…”

 

“Not as nice as daddy tastes.” I lean across to give him a tongue filled kiss. “So what was the smile about?”

 

“Ruth.” He snickers. “You do realise Lindsay is going to think…”

 

“Oh fu...fudge!” I start to laugh. “So how do we do this? Oh, are we tired after all that hair pulling?” I smile as Harper yawns and tucks her head under my chin, which is pure Justin. “Okay, when did that start?” I nod at Lee, who is sucking her thumb!

 

We head to their bedroom and put them in their cribs. Despite gently removing the thumb from her mouth, Lee puts it straight back in again.

 

“Did you suck your thumb?” He shakes his head and looks at me. “Christ no, my old man would’ve beaten that out of me.”

 

“Oh, it’s Ruth!” He laughs.

 

“What is?” I frown and try to remove her thumb again.

 

“I remember now. Just before she found out, she and Mel got drunk and Mel let it slip that when she fell asleep she sucked her thumb…”

 

“In that case…” I let go and immediately Lee sucks it back in and, I think, gives me a little smile to say thank you.

 

I grab their monitor then take his hand and lead him up to the roof. I carry him to the bed, kissing him all the way.

 

“Wait, I need to have a shower first.” He protests as I start to attack his pants and neck. “We need to...stop that! We need to talk about...seriously stop it! We need to...Brian, can we just...for a minute...what is wrong with you?! We’ve got time!”

 

“I have a very sexy husband as an incentive and I want to do it at least three times.” I growl, pinning him to the bed. “Now about this shower, I’ve been thinking...”

 

“What’s that?” He loops his arms round my neck.

 

“Waterfall shower in the corner over there. It should be shielded enough from public eye but out enough for a thrill and a shrill for when you wanna get loud.”

 

He looks to where I am pointing and stares his mouth agape. “When did…?” He shoves me off him to run to undo the bow on our brand new outdoor shower. “Brian!” He squeals as he steps inside.

 

“Happy Anniversary.” I hope he gets it.

 

“Anni...now just to be clear, this is for when we started to listen to just each other?”

 

“If you mean when Ruth kicked our heads out of our asses? Then yes, it is.”

 

“Then Happy Anniversary to you too!” He grins. “So you going to show me what you’ve been up to?”

 

I can’t help how excited I feel to show him and start taking out toiletries and letting him sniff. Soon we are testing them out onto each other until we settle on sweet caramel shower oil with a vanilla body oil. I take my time making sure my dirty boy is squeaky clean from the top of his head to the tip of his pretty toes.

 

An hour later, I am coming back upstairs with Lee, having already brought up Harper. As the perfect little angels settle back down to sleep, I watch Justin and shake my head. He’s back at the toiletry cupboard, putting things in the correct place. Apparently in my haste, I hadn’t done it correctly!

 

“Justin…”

 

“One more minute.” He calls back and true to his word, he pads back to the sofa. “How are my darlings? I can say you’re my darling too when we’re alone, right?” He looks over at me shyly as he checks on his other two darlings.

 

“You may indeed and the squinch is for when we’re alone too.” He slow blinks me. “You are spending far too much time with Pop!” I laugh and then drool over his butt. “Seriously, when did you order those?” I point to his wuffy-fluffy short set and get an impish grin.

 

“Two weeks ago. Seriously, so soft and...” He gasps as I pull him back onto the sofa and into my lap. Forty minutes later, he’s back in the shower and almost angry at me for making him come twice in cashmere!

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - LATE AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

As I sink into the sofa and slip off my shoes, I think to myself what on earth we were thinking when we settled on Michael?! He did nothing but bitch, moan and complain about every single thing I tried to get him to buy for, his oft-mentioned daughter, JR! The whole point is to prove that he is a better father than he was!

 

“Has Mel called?” He asks, coming in with a beer for himself and nothing for me.

 

“Why should she have called?” I sigh.

 

“To confirm where we’re seeing the children tonight.”

 

I get up and head to the kitchen, fuming at how much more selfish he has become and how he listens less! I grab a glass of wine and take a deep breath before returning.

 

“Michael, there is no tonight. As Mel said in the email, we are seeing the children tomorrow for lunch…” And I relish imparting this last little tidbit. “At your mother’s house.”

 

“What?!” He squawks. “I wanted to spend time with it just being us and maybe them!”

 

“Until you get your rights back, Mel holds the power.” I take a measured sip and smirk inwardly as he fumes.

 

“So what are they like? You’ve not sent me pictures or anything.”

 

“Harper and Lee?” He nods. “It’s not my place to send a photo. They may be Gus’s half-sisters, but Brian is fiercely protective of them. As I am...and the same for Gus. Until Brian says I can, I won’t send anything to anyone.” I know exactly what he’s trying to ask and I am going to make this asshole ask what he really wants to know.

 

“So who do they look like?” He asks, trying a different approach.

 

“A combination of the three of them. But like I said Brian, and Justin to a lesser extent due to other commitments, is very protective of them. You know how private he is.” He nods knowingly. He doesn’t need to know that I haven’t seen them in weeks. Whenever I see Gus, it’s just him and JR. How can I be a stepmother to them if I don’t get to know them?!

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - SATURDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

NANCY

 

I look at Ronald and Ronald looks at Jennifer. Then we both look at Gilda; Debs and Carl are equally shocked. “Say that again?” I can’t believe it!

 

“I paid a surprise landlord’s visit and found she had changed the apartment from a two bedroom to a one bed with an enormous walk-in closet. So I had it changed right back again that same afternoon at her expense then increased the rent.

 

“Good grief!” Jennifer giggles. “Oh how that must have pinched her ginormous ego!”

 

“She was a touch shrill about it, yes. And the storage place with a great deal of her belongings is on the other side of town. What a terrible shame!”

 

“So what time are you getting there?” Debs smiles. I know I look as confused as I feel by her question.

 

“Getting where?”

 

“Round mine tomorrow to meet Gus’s sisters.” The glass that Ronald was holding crashes to the floor. “Harper and Lee have grown so much and Gus has been asking about you.”

 

I look at Ronald and he is just blinking back tears rapidly. “H-he has?”

 

“Yes.” Jennifer pats his hand. “And apparently we have a China Bump lesson to learn. I am not looking forward to it.”

 

“China Bump?” I look around.

 

“It’s to do with their hair.” Gilda smiles. “They take after Ruth in that they have her hair texture so she taught them how to bump it. The first lesson was a little traumatic for them, even more so for the fathers! But they are used to it now, although there is a technique, which a certain someone has mastered!”

 

“Who?” I look around and am amazed to see Carl blushing. “Carl?”

 

“Yes. Well...they...well we’ll show you tomorrow.” Carl clears his throat again. “But there’s one more piece of news and we have a question.”

 

“And that’s what?” I pour more wine still disbelieving that Gilda handed Lindsay’s ass to her better than I ever could.

 

“Ruth’s pregnant again.”

 

This time I actually spit my wine out! “What the actual fuck!” I exclaim and there is stunned silence. “I mean…what the actual fuck?! Gilda!” I leap up and pull her into my arms. “I’m delighted!”

 

“Me too!” Ronald kisses her cheek.

 

“So here’s the question I need to...we need to ask you.” Debs looks nervous.

 

“What’s that? Ronald, get the champagne!” I order.

 

“Will you come to our wedding?”

 

I burst into tears!

 

DEBS AND CARL’S - SUNDAY LUNCHTIME

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

We are the first to arrive and find Carl and Debs in the lounge, which is devoid of all furniture except some dining room chairs. To say that the atmosphere between Michael and them is frosty is an understatement! It was so painful to watch him say hello to them that I am grinding my teeth in frustration. He doesn’t get that he has to make everyone happy for Mel to be happy.

 

“So why is there...?” I begin.

 

“Will explain...oh thank God!” She exclaims as the doorbell rings.

 

The first thing I see is a basket followed by Emmett. “Debs! These need to go in immediately!” He calls over his shoulder. “Can you put the oven on and the fryer to heat?”

 

“Sure, honey. What is it?”

 

“Potato croquettes and Lobster tempura! Prepped by the resident chef of the family for this auspicious occasion.”

 

While I frown, Michael actually preens. Is he serious with that?!

 

“And I have been ordered, ordered I tell you by the little dickens, and even phoned to make sure, that we will not dredge before he gets here!”

 

“He’s lucky he’s adorable and my number one five year old boy, or that five a.m. call would’ve been given short shrift!” Lucas laughs.

 

“Seriously, what the hell is in here?!” Ben grumbles. “It may smell good but it is heavy!”

 

“Thai green chicken curry.” I hear Hunter shout back, “and everything that goes with it. And…” He huffs a breath as he comes in. “Two bottles of champagne. Gamma asked me to get them.”

 

“Ah thanks, honey! I forgot yesterday!” Debs calls back.

 

Michael and I exchange looks. We are definitely being ignored! I incline my head and we go outside but come to an astonished halt, as basket after basket is unloaded! What on earth is going on?!

 

“How many people…” Michael begins to grumble.

 

“How can we help?” I interrupt him, sharply.

 

“Oh.” Blake looks surprised. “Well you can take a basket each and bring them inside.”

 

“Wow!” I smile as I carry one in. “How many are we cooking for?”

 

“Hunner has cooked for…” He starts to count off in his head. “That can’t be right. Where are…Debs?!” He calls out counting again.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“There’s 25 people for lunch today! Where are we all going to sit?”

 

“Honey, we’ll manage.” She laughs and goes back into the kitchen.

 

“Mommy!” Gus calls out to me and runs to give me a hug.

 

“Hello Gus! How have you been?”

 

“Great mommy! Hello, Uncle Michael! How are you? I haven’t seen you in a long while. Have you finished your business?”

 

“My…”

 

“Yes Michael, you been away on business for a while now.” I say meaningfully and glare at Ben’s eye roll.

 

“Almost, there are a few bits outstanding but it should be sorted out soon enough.” Michael ruffles Gus’s hair and looks, yet again, unnecessarily smug! “Now where is my JR?” He gives Ben a challenging look, which he smirks at.

 

“She’s with Uncle Xavi, Uncle Michael. We stayed with them last night.” Gus replies. “He’s just getting her out of her seat.”

 

“Is he indeed.” He mumbles and stalks outside.

 

“Come on mommy, come and see what we did!” He pulls me into the kitchen and I pray that Michael doesn't start World War III!

 

KITCHEN

 

I keep an eye on the front door and when Xavi comes in with JR in his arms. I get a sinking feeling, but then Michael follows him in on his phone. Crisis averted for now! He puts her down and she immediately heads to join us.

 

I can’t believe how much food there is. This is for more than just 25 people. “So what’s this in aid of?” I ask Debs, who is carefully taking out an exquisite looking cake.

 

“Gamma! Is that for today?” Gus asks, excitedly.

 

“Yes, Gus it is. But not until later, okay? But this one…”

 

“Aww, not even a tiny, very tiny taste?” He pleads.

 

“Not even a tiny very, tiny taste, young man. You know the rules.” Mel’s tone is firm and it rankles.

 

“Mel, surely a little piece is not going to make much difference?” I try to keep my tone even.

 

“It’s all about consistency, remember?” She replies just as evenly. “Besides, there’s liqueur in that one.” She smiles at Hunter. “How did you describe the amount you poured in?”

 

“Enough to take down a rhino!” He laughs. “Hey Gus, this is for you and Gummy for later, okay?” He takes another smaller cheesecake out and Gus nods. “Want to go get your apron?”

 

“Oh yes, I forgot to put it on!” He cries and dashes out calling for Leda. He comes running back in and waves it at me. “Mommy, can you put it on for me please?”

 

“Of course, darling.” I smile at him and side eye Mel for her reaction, only for her not to be there when I do. Fucking bitch!

 

“JR!” Michael declares. “Daddy’s home!” She looks at him carefully before walking to him slowly. “How has my darling daughter been? Did you miss daddy?”

 

“Daddy.” She gives a small smile.

 

“See I knew you didn’t forget me!” He boasts.

 

“No you forgot her.” Debs mutters just loud enough for there to be knowing smirks.

 

“So…!” I interrupt before Michael gets into a slanging match with her that will surely result in us being kicked out before everyone else gets here. “What are we celebrating? This food looks scrumptious.”

 

“Scrumptious? I haven’t heard that word in a while!” My mother’s voice is like a dash of cold water. “How are you, dear?”

 

“Mother! Daddy! What are you doing here?” I start to panic when I recall the last time we were in their presence together. My panic ramps up even more when both Jennifer and Gilda come in.

 

Oh shit! Oh shit!

 

“We were invited by Debs and Carl.”  

 

“Nana Nancy! Grandpa Ronald!” Gus comes in from outside and runs to them. “Hello! Hello!”

 

“Hello, my little darling.” Mother picks him up and gives him a kiss before daddy does the same. A little piece of me is furiously jealous as they never showered me with that affection, even at this point in my life. But no matter since I sought and got it elsewhere!

 

“Right, what are we doing people?” Gilda demands. “Those who aren’t helping with food, can go and help set the table up. We brought the large one as requested, so big men, go help Greg bring it in, before he goes back to Heavenly. Come to Nana Gilly, Gummy…” Gum…JR reaches up for her from Michael’s lap. “You can go and help too, I suppose.” She sniffs before walking out with Gum...JR firmly on her hip.

 

The look on Michael’s face has been the highlight of my day so far, especially when Debs glares at him until he moves.

 

An hour later, the house smells wonderful and the lounge is now the dining room!

 

As I look around, I do a headcount. “Carmine, how do you make it 25 people for lunch?”

 

Before he could reply, the answer presents itself. Brian and Justin come in with Harper and Lee. And oh my God, don’t they look adorable! Lee is sucking her thumb and Harper is clutching onto Brian’s shirt.

 

“Okay, let me at them!” Debs orders and Brian rolls his eyes.

 

“Daddy! Papa! Caramels!” Gus shouts from the kitchen. “Hello, be right there!”

 

“Okay, Sonny Boy!” Brian calls back.

 

“Hello Brian.” Michael has suddenly found his voice. “Justin.” There is a curt nod from Brian but nothing from Justin. He doesn’t even look at him.

 

“I said hello, Justin.” Michael repeats.

 

“No, you didn’t. You said Justin, after you actually said hello to Brian, who is as usual your sole focus! Oh, how I have missed that?!” He snipes then clears his throat. “However, to keep the atmosphere from being more unpleasant for your presence here than it needs to be, hello to you, Mr Novotny.”

 

“Hang on. Shouldn’t you leave?” Carmine asks.

 

“Why should I leave? This is my mother’s house!” He bites back.

 

“Oh you remembered, have you?” Carl growls quietly, keeping an eye on the kitchen for Gus’s appearance.

 

“The reason I ask is because of the restraining order against you.”

 

“Which one?” Hunter laughs and Michael goes red, but stays silent.

 

“The restraining order prohibits from him being in their places of business and private residences only. They can be in the same place as long as it’s not theirs.” Mel explains.

 

“And you have Mel and Gummy to thank for that…” Justin growls.

 

“You’ve got much better things to expend your energy on, Sunshine.” Brian tells him. “Like me, later this evening!”

 

“Gussie kisses!” Gus comes running in and stops any innuendo or argument developing further.

 

“Oh yes, Gussie kisses!” Justin laughs, scooping him into his arms. “Why do you have flour in your hair?”

 

“I’ve been drugging fish with Auntie Emmy Lou.” He explains. “Where’s Ruthie? Isn’t she coming?”

 

“Drugging fish?” Brian repeats.

 

“Dredging. He’s doing the lobster with Ems.” I laugh. He doesn’t smile back, just nods.

 

Okay, so we are both being treated like this, are we?

 

“As for Ruthie, yes, she’s coming, she’s just parking the car.”

 

“Oh good!”

 

“Excuse me, but where is my little helper?” Ems calls out.

 

“Oops sorry daddy, papa! Gotta help. Call me when Ruthie comes!” Gus trots back to the kitchen.

 

“Brian, might Michael and I have a word with you, please? In private.” I ask, pointedly looking at Justin.

 

“Is this about Gus or Justin’s career?”

 

“No. No.” I give Michael a hard stare.

 

“Then yep, but if you start then I walk straight back in here.” He warns.

 

We nod and he leads us through the kitchen to the back garden. I close the door and he folds his arms. “Well?”

 

“I don’t want there to be any unpleasantness between the three of us...no wait, I mean you, me and Michael. Can we at least try to get back to where we were some months back?”

 

“I didn’t fuck up our friendship! This is on you two. You want to get me back, then do what Justin did and work at it!” He takes a breath. “But I will be polite and civilised as long as you two are here.”

 

“Thank you.” I stand firmly on Michael’s foot.

 

“Thank you, Brian.” He parrots. “They are very beautiful.”

 

“Yeah, they take after their mom and then some.” For the first time since we’ve seen him, he smiles. “Right, are we done here?”

 

“Yes.” I reply quietly and he walks back in without a backward glance.

 

“Michael!” I hiss. “You have got to make more of an effort! Seriously, you get more with honey than you do with vinegar.”

 

“Alright!” He hisses back. “But why isn’t anyone acknow…”

 

“More of an effort!” I spit out and stalk back inside.

 

LOUNGE

 

Ruth has come in and is sitting with Harper, gently doing her hair.

 

“So this auspicious occasion, what is it?” Michael asks sweetly.

 

“The official release of the new Rage images to the world.” Justin replies calmly but with a ghost of a smile. Michael doesn’t say a word, but the way he stiffens speaks volumes.

 

“And Ruthie’s got a hiccup!” Gus announces.

 

“A hiccup? What does that mean?” I ask.

 

“She’s pregnant again.” Brian replies.

 

“Preg-pregnant?” I stammer.

 

“Isn’t it great, mommy? Ruthie has called it Hiccup and I’m going to be another big brother!” Gus beams.

 

“You must be thrilled!” I choke out, holding onto every bit of WASP training I have.

 

“A bit surprised, but more than pleased.” She answers simply.

 

Michael and I exchange surreptitious looks; we can’t fucking believe it!

 

“And guess what?” Justin grins at everyone. “With Arno’s consent, it was done the old fashioned way!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks