- Text Size +

CHAPTER 85 - BACK TO NORMALITY, REALITY BITES....AND GOING RIDIN’

 

OUTSIDE ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL

 

CARL

 

“Brian, over here!” I shout and he runs to the car. I slam on my lights and gun the engine. “We will be there in 20 minutes. They’ve cleared the road!” I tell him; he doesn’t say a word.

 

OUTSIDE BRITIN

 

Twenty minutes later, we are flying up the drive of Britin and I have to stop him from getting out while the car is still moving! “Wait! They’re safe! Son, please stop!” He slumps back into the seat, then he reaches for me. I let him cry and I see the front door open. Debs and Jen rush out, but then they stop and with a nod, go back inside. “Oh my boy, my sweet, sweet boy, hush now. Hush.”

 

After another ten minutes, his door opens. “Brian?” Justin’s gentle voice has him lifting his head. “Come on. Come to me, Stud.” He opens the backdoor and gets in. Brian clambers over the seat to get to him. I get out and leave them alone.

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL - SECURE UNIT

 

LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

I look at my shackled wrists in despair and try to think how it all went wrong. How did I miss who Fred and Kevin really were? Normally, I am such a good reader of people! My jaw is not throbbing so much now and I really am thirsty. I want to sit up and am frustrated that I can’t.

 

“Nurse!” I yell and she comes in with a disdainful expression on her face. “I would like some water.” I demand.

 

“Well unless you want to wear it, I suggest you adjust that tone!” She snaps, narrowing her eyes.

 

“Please may I have some water?” I grit out. “And something for my headache.”

 

“Water, yes. Anything else, no. You were given medication when you were brought in that should tide you over for another 2 hours. Open up and sip.” She orders. I take the straw in my mouth and suck gratefully. “Oh that action could come in handy. Shame you’re not going to a male prison.” She snickers as I drain the glass.

 

I slump back against the pillows and start to cry as my dreams, hopes and aspirations turn to dust.

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

Thank god, I have finally been allowed to have a shower! There were times I thought I was going to choke on my vomit lying there. I keep playing what Brian said in my mind and I know that he’s said that only to mess with me. That’s Boy Wonder’s influence...Lindsay wouldn’t do that to me!

 

BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER

 

HARPER AND LEE’S BATHROOM

 

BRIAN

 

Gus is in his room, having had his bath. He’s suffering no ill effects, apart from boredom apparently, from his interaction with Lindsay. Michael didn’t get anywhere near Ben or Gumdrop before Justin got to him, so they are back at home with Xavier. Jennifer has gone home because she needs to look after Molly and catch Tucker up. Debs and Carl are still here with us.

 

“Are you ready, gents?” Justin and I nod as we strip our daughters. We hand the clothes to Agent Coltrane, who takes them carefully and with a small smile, he leaves us alone. Then we set their bath, and as per usual, we tickle them and they giggle. It is so great to hear that sound!

 

Thirty minutes later, two very sleepy daughters are being toted to their bedroom by their grandparents.

 

“With me.” I tell him firmly and lead him to our bathroom. Once we are inside, I shut the door and silence him with a look. “You were very bad.” He frowns. “You only hit him once. You have two daughters.” I start to smile and he burrows into my arms. “Where the hell did you get that stuff you tipped on him?!” I put him onto the toilet seat and sit in his lap. “Well?”

 

“When Agent Tan told us this was go week, I collected as much as I could and there you go.” He rests his head against my chest and sighs. “It felt so good to hit him.”

 

“Not as good as it felt to tell him that Lindsay was going to hang this on him!”

 

“You didn’t?!” He looks up quickly.

 

“Mmmm. Now then, how about a bath and wuffy-fluffies followed by cashmere snuggles?”

 

“Yes please. Um, one other thing I’ve been thinking about…”

 

“Get your mom to look at properties, but nothing too big!”

 

“Can they…”

 

“Justin, let’s get the property in Texas first, have them at least walking and then get the horses.”

 

”You’re so good to me.”

 

You make it easy.”

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

We are lying on the bed above the covers. He’s resting on my chest and I’m running my fingers through his hair.

 

“Brian?”

 

“Mmm?”

 

“We’re not going to stop the sessions with Dr Alex, are we?”

 

“Fuck no!” He gives a small snort of laughter before squirrelling up and tucking himself, a la Harper, under my chin.

 

“Good. Night, darling.”

 

“Night, sweetheart.”

 

“Idiot.”

 

“Twat.

 

“Stud.”

 

I watch him slowly go to sleep. He has this pattern: snuggle under chin, flop arm across stomach, put leg on thigh, entwine legs and then start snuffling as he finally drifts off. It’s the most comforting bit of monotony, I’ve ever known. It means he’s here with me. With a kiss to the top of his head, I snap off the light.

 

NEXT DAY, EARLY MORNING

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

“Still asleep?” He asks as I come back in and open the windows.

 

“Yeah. They won’t remember it, will they?”

 

“No. While you were doing your thang, they were taken out of the van then brought straight here. You were with them, remember? And…”

 

“I couldn’t touch them though.” I reply, starting to strip so that I can get back in bed. He is already naked.

 

“Because of the need to collect evidence, which they sailed through with no problems.”  

 

“We need to replace the carriers. He touched them too.” He nods and smiles before rolling me on my back.

 

“Okay, no problem. Now shush and let me make you feel better.”

 

“Zipping.” I murmur just before his mouth closes over mine and his hand covers my cock.

 

BEN AND XAVIER’S HOUSE

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

BEN

 

“Stop it. He wouldn’t have been able to hurt you and you know that.” Xavi wraps his arms around me.

 

“It was more me hurting him. If he even got close to Gumdrop...”

 

“But he wouldn’t have. Even if Justin didn’t get to him, the other guys in the diner would’ve done so. Now stop worrying about what ifs and look at what is…”

 

“And what’s that?” I lean back against him.

 

“We have at least half an hour before our daughter wakes up. So....”

 

“You want to do the New York Times Crossword?”

 

“Yeah, I really do! Those last two are bugging the shit out of me!”

 

“You’re a freak, you know that right?” I laugh.

 

“Only for you.”

 

MEL’S HOUSE

 

GUS’S ROOM

 

LEDA

 

I watch Mel try and hold it together as she strokes his teddy bear. “He’s with his daddies. He’ll be home tonight and he can sleep with us, okay?”

 

“She took my son. Mine!” She bites out while trying not to cry.

 

“And she will pay for that. Guaranteed, she will pay!”

 

“I’ve got time off for the arraignment and the trial, but I have an idea…”

 

“Oooh, what you planning?”

 

“Need to speak to the FBI...God never thought I would see the day I would be saying that...first. Hopefully, they will be understanding...!”

 

“It’s a little early to call them. Let’s see if I can take the edge of some of that angst…”

 

OUTSIDE FBI BUILDING, CARSON STREET - THREE DAYS LATER

 

AGENT TAN

 

Wow, just wow! When Melanie called and asked for this tiny favour, I couldn’t believe it. But when my boss said yes, I was surprised and ecstatic! The first van turns the corner and heads to the underground parking. I hang back as he is let out of the van and seconds later, there is a yelp. As the second van pulls in, I shrink back again and once she is led out there, there is an agonised scream. A few minutes later, two stumbling figures are dragged into the building.

 

“Feel better?” I ask Mel as she comes out doing a that’s-that gesture with her hands.

 

“Oh, much! Don’t feel the need to get them seen to immediately.” She smirks, then puts on her sunglasses and heads, presumably, to her office to deliver more well deserved beat downs.

 

“Oh, we won’t. Trust me.” I murmur and head to watch the Two Stooge Show.

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 1

 

LINDSAY

 

The doctor is checking my cheek. “Will it bruise?” I whimper.

 

“What exactly happened?” He looks unconcerned as he waits for me to answer.

 

“I don’t know. I got out of the van and then something, or most likely someone called Ruth Masterson, hit me in the face. You need to arrest her!” I look across at the two officers who accompanied me.

 

“Ruth Masterson was not present.” One of the agents retorts.

 

“How do…”

 

“Yes, it will.” The doctor interrupts and I frown. “Bruise. And it will be a nasty one… Perfect for such a nasty woman.” He sneers and with a nod at the agents, he leaves.

 

“So your attorney will be here soon and…”

 

“What’s your name again? I want to report you for dereliction of duty!” I snap. “And how do you know that she wasn’t there?”

 

“Agent Logan and, amazingly enough, she’s looking after her children after two cretins tried to kidnap them! Would you like me to unshackle your writing hand so that you can write my name down? If you say yes to that question and try to use your hand for anything else, trust me, it would be a bad idea. So am I doing it?”

 

I shake my head. “You can send my attorney in now.” I tell him haughtily.

 

“Yeah, I’ll get right on that!” He sneers as he and his colleague leave.

 

“Fuck it all to hell!” I shout at the closed door.

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2 - SAME TIME

 

MICHAEL

 

I can finally breathe! “I want you to arrest Arno something or other. He’s the partner of Ruth Masterson.” I order.

 

“And why would we do that?” An agent asks and then nods as another walks in before saying something to him.

 

“He attacked me!” I declare.

 

“Nope, he, like Ruth, is with their child. Now your attorney is here.”

 

“Well send him in then! And I hope you’ve arrested Chris Hobbs too; it was his idea!”

 

“Yeah we’ll do both of those things...eventually!”

 

I watch them walk out, laughing.

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 1 - AN HOUR LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

“Are you kidding me?!” I demand of Elizabeth Trench, my court appointed attorney. “As I said to Agent Brown, this was all down to Hobbs and Michael. I had nothing to do with this!”

 

“Miss Peterson…”

 

“It’s Ms not Miss.” I correct her.

 

“Really? Let’s get this straight right off the bat... I don’t care how you wish me to address you. I am here to do my job which is to represent you in a court of law. I am trying to get as lenient a sentence as possible, considering you were the puppet master behind all of this. Now you and I both know this, despite your claims to the contrary. What we need to do is plead mitigating circumstances. And when I say mitigating, I don’t mean your misplaced sense of entitlement!” I glare at her. “Fine, there are plenty of people in the system who can use my time. Such a shame that someone is going to benefit from my 98% strike record instead of you.”

 

“98%?” I echo and she nods while starting to stand.

 

“Am I staying or going?” She demands.

 

“Staying.” I mutter.

 

“Good, now let’s start to build your defence!” She snaps and places the iPad down in front of me and I start to say something. “You speak into the microphone there...so begin.”

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2 - SAME TIME

 

IAN HITCHINSON, MICHAEL’S ATTORNEY

 

“Clearly, you have misunderstood the seriousness of the situation you are in. Even with a deal, you are going to jail.”

 

“Brian will drop the charges. He won’t let this go to court.” He replies, confidently.

 

“Kidnapping is a federal offence...you are going to jail!”

 

He narrows his eyes at me and sighs. “You’re clearly new out of law school. If…”

 

“Fine. Can you let me out please?” I call out.

 

“What are you doing? You’re supposed to be representing me!”

 

“I am exercising my right to freedom of choice. I am choosing not to defend the indefensible, the deluded or the downright fucking stupid.”

 

“Now just a minute! You can’t talk to me like that! Actually yeah, you can go. They can provide me with an attorney that knows the law and has his client’s best interests at heart.” He sneers and then looks away from me with contempt.

 

“The arraignment is at some point next week. With all the evidence stacked up against you, you are going to jail no matter which attorney represents you. It’s just a question of how long and which prison. And bear in mind one other thing…” He looks back at me. “You could also get the death penalty for what you did.” I smile as he swallows hard. “I didn’t need to go to law school for that is well known. Why do you think that most kidnappers kill their hostages? It’s so that there are no witnesses.” He goes to interrupt, but I shake my head. “And you took babies… how do you think they are going to spin out your intentions?”

 

“Wa-wait...we only took them, we didn’t kidnap them in that sense! It was just so that Brian would treat us the way he used to! If he hadn’t stopped listening to us about Boy Wonder then…”

 

Against my better judgement, I sit down. “Then what?”

 

“He would be back to being our Brian!”

 

“If you are prepared to do as I say in court when I say it, then I will continue to represent you. But one, just one…”

 

“What do you need me to do?” He sighs in defeat.

 

“Start talking...into this mike here.” I order, sliding the iPad under his arrogant nose.

 

DEBS HOUSE - SUNDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

Jules has stood most of his men down now, but still has Januck watching Ruth, much to Arno’s annoyance. We are trying to get back to normal so everyone is coming to lunch as usual. I can hear Debs puttering about and humming, which is an improvement on her vacillating between rage and tears over the last few days. But she’s now at acceptance, though how she will feel during the trial is anyone’s guess.

 

Because of who Brian and Justin are, combined with the momentum of Rage Unleashed, this event has hit the newspaper circuit hard. That coupled with the arrests of his sperm donor, Judge Russo, the jury foreman and a couple of court officials, they want to get this wrapped up as fast as possible. Although those trials are going to be pretty much cut and dry, the Judge was very helpful and kept meticulous notes!

 

I laugh as I hear the excited yips of Frick and Frack as they bound up the stairs. “Okay, I’m coming!” I call out and they streak passed me to get to their favourite woman after Ruth and Gilly!

 

“Now wait!” I hear her order them and watch amused as they plonk their butts on the floor, waiting for their bowls of chicken broth to be ladled out. “Very good. Now you may…” She laughs as they immediately start to slurp before she’s finished. “One day I will get to the end of that sentence!”

 

She frowns as she comes in. “Okay, so where are they?” She looks briefly worried before I point out the door. Ruth is looking exasperated as Ems is trying to wrestle the carrier out of the car, but is clearly not being patient.

 

“Will you let me do it?!” She orders firmly. “You’re jostling Hiccup and that is a new shirt I believe!” This has the desired effect although he does stick his tongue out. But once he has the carrier in his hand, he is all smiles!

 

“Hey Carl. Ted and Blake are right behind.” She kisses me on the cheek and does the same for Debs. “Methinks you are going to have to assert some fatherly authority if you want a cuddle with Carlo.”

 

“I know.” I laugh and then smile as Ted and Blake come up the stairs, beaming. I think they have some news to impart!

 

Jennifer, Tucker and Molly are the next to arrive. Molly took a little while to warm up to the rambunctious nature of the family, not helped by the news about her father. But she’s like Justin, and is more than capable of defending herself and anyone else as some of her classmates have found out! Though she’s not met Ruth yet, today that all changes.

 

“Hi Molly, want to come and help with the lunch? This is your first one, isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah.” She smiles shyly and then rolls up her sleeves. “So what we having?”

 

“For nibbles, tuna nicoise pate. Main is braised lamb neck with Italian fregola. Couldn’t get oxtail, sorry guys. And for dessert we have pears poached in red wine. Oh, have you met Frick and Frack?”

 

“Mom, you never said that Carl and Debs have dogs! They are gorgeous!” She exclaims.

 

“She doesn’t. Those two rascals are mine. I’m Ruth, this is Arno and that bundle about to do an unhappy face is Carlo. You look so much like her, so you could only be Molly.”

 

“Yes, I am. Thank you so much for what you did to keep them together.” She gives her a hug, which Ruth returns with a smile. “So when exactly are we expecting the TKs?”

 

“Right now. Hey Mollusk.” Justin calls out, coming in with Lee in her carrier. Nobody comments on the newness of it. “How are you doing?”

 

“Fine, now gimme!” She demands, kissing his cheek. “Uh Debs!”

 

“No problem, sweetheart! Jen can help instead!

 

Brian comes in and wordlessly hands Harper to Ted, who settles on the sofa with Blake close by. The last to arrive are Mel and Ben with Leda and Xavi and the kids. Carmine objects to being called a kid at 23, but we’ve pointed out he’s not an adult until we say. So he can suck that buttercup up!

 

We wait for Brian to assume his usual lotus position on the floor between Justin’s legs in front of their chair and Molly frowns as Debs hands him a plate piled with bread. “Your brother is the chief tester of the family. We’ve already had the lamb neck and the pears, but the pate is new.” I explain.

 

“Ah I see, I think.”

 

He takes a bite and nods before scraping some of the pate off the bread then getting distracted as Brian sucks it off his finger. “Want me to add this?” He asks and in answer, Brian kisses his knee.

 

“So who’s on wine?” Jen calls out and drinks are dispensed but then it all goes quiet. The elephant in the room is there, but nobody is saying anything.

 

“Daddy?” Gus pipes up. “Did you and papa ever get your surprise party?”

 

“Sorry Sonny Boy, I don’t know what you mean.” Brian frowns.

 

“Well momma said she was going to throw a surprise party for you two. Have you had it yet or are we waiting for her to come back from her business? Will she be gone a long time again?”

 

Well that’s one way of getting it out into the open!

 

“No Sonny Boy, we didn’t. And yes, momma is going to be away for a long time.”

 

“Why does she keep going away so much?” He looks round at us. “Doesn’t she like us anymore? She seemed to be happy to see me, though I’m not sure why she was dressed up like that. It’s not Halloween.”

 

While Gus had answered the questions he was asked when he was taken from their house, he hadn’t gone into too much detail about what had happened. He just said his momma turned up and took him there.

 

“Sonny Boy, I know that this is a little difficult to understand right now and we will try to explain it as simply as we can. But your momma and Uncle Michael are going to be going away for a very long time and not on business…”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because they tried to do a bad thing so they are going for…”

 

“A time out? Is it like when I was naughty that one time and you made me sit on the stairs for five minutes, Uncle Ben?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“So what did momma and Uncle Michael do, then?”

 

We all exchange looks. We have promised not to lie to Gus about what they did, but now that he’s asked the question, nobody wants to answer it.

 

“They tried to take your sisters and brother away from us.” Justin replies quietly and Gus frowns before his eyes get really big.

 

“Take them away? But why?”

 

“They wanted to have them to themselves because they thought they could do a better job of it than any of us can.” Justin answers and Mel nods, approvingly.

 

“Well then they deserve a big time out for doing something as mean as that! You all would’ve been very upset if you didn’t have the Carummies, Gumdrop and Hiccup…” He pauses and then frowns again. “Were they going to take me away from you, too?”

 

“Yes sweetheart, they were. But they would’ve brought you back…” Debs assures him.

 

“When?”

 

“We don’t know.” I answer. “But we made sure that they didn’t do that. So don’t worry about it anymore. Now if you want to see your…”

 

“Have they said sorry daddy, papa?”

 

“No they haven’t, Gussie.”

 

“Then I don’t want to see them until they do!” He states firmly. “Can I teach Gumdrop her words now, Uncle Ben?”

 

“Yes. Do you want to sit at the table or want to stay in here?”

 

“Here, please. Let me get it!” He yells and goes upstairs for his Gumdrop backpack.

 

“That is one resilient little boy!” Molly stares at him as he makes his way to the bedroom.

 

“He’s part Kinney and has a Taylor for a stepfather, what did you expect?!” Jennifer beams proudly at her sons.

 

“Speaking of fatherhood...” Blake begins, grinning.

 

“Oh thank Christ for that! I was about to explode!” Emmy grouses, good naturedly.

 

“Oh you are in so much trouble, mister!” Justin growls at Brian.

 

“Great!” He smirks before pulling him down for a kiss.

 

There is silence as they get into the kiss and it’s clearly something that Molly has never seen before. “How are they…”

 

“Practice.” Tucker replies dryly. “They kiss a lot.”

 

US PENITENTIARY, LEWISBURG - MONDAY MORNING

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2

 

CRAIG TAYLOR

 

I look down at my orange jumpsuit in disgust. I should not be here! I was doing what was morally right! I look up as the door opens and it’s my attorney, Pat Stone. He puts his case down, pulls out some papers and stacks them neatly on the desk.

 

“Well?”

 

“No deal.” He replies, shortly. “They are throwing everything they have at you. Oh don’t look like that! What did you expect?”

 

“To be out of here as a free man!” I snap, slumping back in my seat. “What about Russo? Bet he’s out and about!”

 

“No, none the conspirators in this shameful episode are out and about, except those who are dead. But I suspect they are in a special circle of Hell for their own part in this! And even if you were out of here, the Taylor-Kinneys have made it clear that they will launch a civil suit against all of you. If you are lucky, you will have a rock to crawl back under when you get out!”

 

I glare at him. “Why are you taking this tone with me? I pay you…”

 

“Not anymore!” He heads to the door and raps twice. “Can you bring him in, please? Thank you.”

 

Two minutes later, a dishevelled man comes in and looks at me. “That them?” He points at the papers and Pat nods. “Okay Mr Taylor, my name is Reuben Marks. I’m your court appointed attorney. Thanks Pat. I can take it from here.”

 

“Wait a sec...Pat, where you are going? What the fuck is going on?!” I demand.

 

“That’s Mr Stone to you! I’m going back to my office and earn some money from a client that doesn’t make my skin crawl, so that I can look my own son in the eye! I look forward to your trial Mr Taylor, especially when it comes to the charge of accessory after the fact.

 

“Fuck! They are really coming for them, huh?”

 

“Yeah. Even though they didn’t aid in the escape and evasion of capture by Chris Hobbs in the usual sense of the word, by conspiring to help him escape and evade appropriate sentencing, they are as guilty of the crime as if they wielded the bat themselves.”  

 

Marks whistles. “Who’s prosecuting, then?”

 

“DA Foster.” Pat is starting to smile and I don’t like it one bit!

 

“Let me guess...Topperman is presiding.”

 

“Yep. See you later, Reuben.” He shakes his hand and then, with another smirk in my direction, leaves.

 

“So this ridiculous charge of…”

 

“Corruption, bribery of a court official, jury tampering, attempted extortion and now this humdinger, accessory after the fact... Yeah, so which one of those do you want to talk about?” He looks over the paper at me.

 

“What is the minimum I can expect?”

 

“We’re looking at about 5-8 realistically.”

 

“That’s not too bad, I guess. But if I plead mitigating…”

 

“That’s each, for the first 4 charges. Then it’s up to 15 years for the humdinger.” He goes back to reading and shakes his head.

 

“They can’t fucking do this to me!” I roar at him.

 

“If you hadn’t done that to your son then they wouldn’t be doing this!” Marks snaps at me. “Now shut up and let me read!”

 

SAFE HOUSE OF CHRIS HOBBS - AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

ADA RICHARD CRAWFORD

 

I watch the attorney for Hobbs look through the paperwork carefully. “And what does my client get in exchange for his testimony?”

 

“Meaning?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.

 

“He has already been punished for his crime and…”

 

“Come now, you can’t expect that.” I sigh.

 

“And neither do I.” Chris interjects, surprising us both. “I will testify and whatever else happens afterwards, happens.”

 

“Uh Chris…” He put his hand up to stop him, but he shakes his head.

 

“I don’t want any special treatment. I’ve had enough of that in my life and look where it’s gotten me. It’s time I follow his lead and take a stand…”

 

Whose lead?” I look at his attorney and he has a small smile playing on his lips while he nods. “I don’t know who you are talking about…”

 

“Justin Taylor-Kinney. He was out and proud and it’s time I was, too. I’m no longer going to hide scuttling like roaches in the dark like my father.”

 

“Okay...well obviously, the fact that he came to the authorities willingly should be taken into consideration.”

 

“And it will be. Gentlemen, I will see you in court.” I shake their hands and leave.

 

CHRIS

 

“So now what happens?” I ask.

 

“Well we prepare a statement for the press before the start of the trial. What do you want to say?”

 

“I attacked Justin Taylor because I was afraid to come out. I am no longer afraid and want to start to make amends, no matter how small.”

 

“Perfect and if you didn’t say that, you would be finding another attorney. I have to admit that I was surprised to receive your call.”

 

“Thank you, Mr Stone. You are one of the best and...”

 

“Pat, you can call me Pat now. So come on, let’s get this statement written and then call a press conference.”

 

“Okay.” He smiles...just that little bit proudly.

 

BRITIN - MONDAY EVENING

 

STUDY

 

JUSTIN

 

“Hey. You almost done?” I sink onto the sofa and lie down. Quickly, he shuts down his laptop and joins me.

 

“So what did they say?” He asks, scooting behind me.

 

“They’re going to charge them all with accessory after the fact.”

 

“Wow...fuck me, Sunshine! But wait, how do you feel about that?”

 

“Nothing. I feel nothing. Surely, that’s not normal?” I reply, suddenly exhausted.

 

“Hang on a second.” He reaches for his phone and I turn to rest on his chest. His heartbeat is steady and strong. I tuck my hand inside and stroke his chest. “Hey Alex, its Taylor-Kinney. We’ve had a new development, so can we move the appoint...oh you can? Even better. Okay see you in an hour.”

 

AN HOUR LATER

 

DR ALEX WILDER

 

“Holy fuck...they are really going to make an example of them! As to why you’re not feeling anything right now Justin, it is because you are in shock; maybe borderline PTSD... You’ve had a lot to deal with. I would recommend that neither of you attend the arraignment. They aren’t going anywhere. Seeing them this soon is just too much. Okay?” They both nod and I feel so sorry for them. How they have survived the brickbats these two have been dealt at the hands of his friends, the mind boggles. “In the meantime, try and get away from Pittsburgh, just the two of you; Harper and Lee won’t remember this. Gus has dealt with it rather maturely from what you’ve said and has no ill effects. Can you get out of the country? Is there somewhere you can go?”

 

“Yes.” Brian replies while Justin nods and then kisses him under the chin.

 

“Goodnight, gents. Seriously, get out of dodge as fast soon as possible.”

 

“I’ll make some calls. Thanks, Alex.” Justin uncurls himself from Brian’s lap so that he can see me out.

 

“Wherever you go, make sure that nobody knows. You both need to mentally recuperate for what’s coming.” I am taken aback when Brian pulls me into a hug and whispers his thanks, before quietly closing the door behind me.

 

STUDY - AN HOUR LATER

 

BRIAN

 

“We’re all set Sunshine. Now let’s pack!”

 

“Um Brian, just one thing...have you ever ridden a horse before?”

 

“Nope. How hard can it be?”

 

SUPREME COURT OF PENNSYLVANIA - TUESDAY MORNING

 

ARRAIGNMENT HEARING, COURTROOM 3

 

JUDGE FINCH

 

“Bail is refused. The defendants are too much of a flight risk.”

 

“But your honour.” Novotny’s attorney protests. “While my...”

 

“Refused. Neither of the defendants have proven to my satisfaction that they would remain within the court appointed residence and as they do not have anywhere else to…”

 

“I can go to my mother’s. She’s married to a cop!” Novotny calls out.

 

I flick through the papers and then look at him. “Counsellor is the defendant’s mother present in court?”

 

“No, your honour.” He sighs.

 

“Is this the same for your client as well, counsellor?”

 

“Yes, your honour.” She replies wearily.

 

“So neither defendant has family present, nor can they afford to pay the $1 million bail…”

 

“I can call Brian! He’d pay that for us, wouldn’t he Lindsay?” Novotny interrupts again… and I am beginning to get very annoyed.

 

“Counsellor, control your client! And remind him that it is highly unlikely that the father of the children they allegedly tried to kidnap is going to put up the bail money.”

 

“See? Not even the judge believes we tried to kidnap them…” Peterson interjects. And it’s right there that I have had enough!

 

“Counsellors, contain your clients! Bail is refused, and that’s the end of the matter. Remand them to federal prison until the trial!”

 

MEETING ROOM 2 - THIRTY MINUTES LATER

 

IAN HITCHINSON

 

“You remember that you promised to do as I said when I said?” He nods. “You remember what I said would happen if you didn’t do as I said when I said?” He nods again. “Can you say it out loud for me please?”

 

“That you would no longer represent me and…”

 

I stand up and go to the door. “Casper Fieldman, meet your new client. Good luck!”

 

As I stride up the corridor, I feel like Atlas when he could finally put the world down!

 

I’m surprised to see Elizabeth rushing out of meeting room 3, looking incredulous and a little queasy. “What’s wrong?”

 

“She came onto me!” She gasps and I come to a stunned halt.

 

“What are you going to do?” I inwardly shudder as we resume walking. “Continue to represent her?”

 

“Of course!”

 

“Why? I just ditched Novotny.” I stop her and look at her intently. “Oh, I think I’ve got it...so can I guess?” She nods. “He’s going to hang himself on his own stupidity, but she’s going to get some help?”

 

“And this is why you have a 99% strike rate...which I am still pissed about!” She laughs.

 

BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S VILLA, ROME - EARLY EVENING, 6 DAYS LATER

 

BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

“Do not laugh, I warn you. Do not laugh!” I growl as I walk like a post-Lorena John Wayne Bobbit back to the bed. “I can see you smirking...that’s a definite smirk!” I glare at him and bat his helping hands away.

 

“I’m not smirking. This is *giggle*... ahem... this... *giggle-snort*... is me trying to... *snort* ahem... trying to tend *giggle-giggle-snort*...”

 

Not laugh, that’s what you’re trying to do!” I pout. “He did it deliberately. That horse had Cujo in him!”

 

“No, he had Cujo on him! What did you expect him to do when you kick him in the sides and shout ride ‘em cow cat?” Tears of mirth slide down his face. “He was merely following instructions…”

 

“He galloped for about 20 fucking miles!”

 

“It was less than half a mile!” He snickers, wiping his eyes and wrapping the ice in the towel.

 

“Tell my junk...your favourite cocksicle, I might add...that! I am so glad I have a fake ball. At least, I’m only in searing pain on one side!!”

 

“Can I apply the ice now?”

 

“Gently...Jesus! How is that gently?!” I shriek.

 

“Thank goodness, it was just us…” He scratches the back of his head and looks away, but his shoulders are shaking.

 

“Not feeling the love, twat!”

 

“Oh come on. If it was me, what would you be doing right now?”

 

“I would be applying tender loving kisses to my husband’s tender ego…” He peers down at my cock. “Is it going purple? And not in a good way?”

 

“No, it isn’t going purple. Nor is it going to go green or yellow or any other colour than the gorgeous olive it always is unless it’s bright red or purple in a good way, especially when it’s purple and leaking...just for me.”

 

He crawls up towards me and kisses me deeply. As I wrap my arms round him, the image of me bouncing along the track, holding onto the reins for dear life assails my brain and I feel the laughter start to bubble up. “Did I really shout ride ‘em cow cat?”

 

“Yep.” He giggles. “Now turn over and put this under your hips.”

 

“What for?”

 

“I need to apply soothing kisses to my husband’s tender...um...ego.”

 

Forty minutes later, I am a quivering mess as he finishes giving me the rimming of my life!

 

“Better?” He murmurs, gently cleaning me up. I nod happily. “So can I ride ‘em cow cat?!”

 

“Get along, lil doggie!” I snicker.



http://trupanion.com/blog/2013/11/homemade-chicken-broth-dogs/

http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/entertain/tuna-nicoise-pate/

http://honestcooking.com/braised-lamb-neck-italian-fregola/

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2009/01/red-wine-poached-pears/

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.