- Text Size +

CHAPTER 24 - NAME CALLING AND DROPPING TIDBITS

 

LINDSAY

 

I stare at my phone for a minute. “Mel, are you serious?”

 

“Yes, I am serious. About the kids, either with us as a mutual agreement or court mandated, let me know your decision.”

 

We both look incredulously at each other when she hangs up. “Now what do we do?”

 

Michael sits back and shakes his head. “Okay, let’s go along with her and their latest overreaction. As you said at the time, if they had given us the answers to our simple questions, then our hands wouldn’t have been forced.”

 

I nod and smile. “It’s us. They’ll come around; they always do.”

 

KINNETIC - SAME TIME

 

CYNTHIA

 

As much as love those guys, there are times when they have to lock the fucking office! I wait for a few minutes and lean against the door. I’m not sure they are finished but I need this signed now!

 

I steel myself and open it, then head to his desk to just put it there but I come to a halt. Now I have seen them kiss before but not since they got married. They are tucked into a corner of the sofa and my first thought, apart from how are they breathing, is how are both of them fitting in the same small spot?!!  They are still naked but wrapped around each other. However, something is different. It’s the way they are touching. Brian is cupping Justin’s chin as he kisses him. Justin has one hand in Brian’s hair to hold him close, not that he was going anywhere anyway. But above all of that, it’s their eyes...their eyes are open and locked on each other.

 

I start to back out because I start to feel the one thing I never thought I would...I feel like Michael, the intruder!

 

I close the door as quietly as I can and head to reception. “Clear their afternoon.” I order.

 

“No problem.” She grins. “It’s incredible, isn’t it? It couldn’t happen to a nicer couple.”

 

“It almost didn’t.”

 

I tell her and she looks surprised but I shake my head while making my way back to the office. As I sit down, I decide that I will do everything in my power to make sure they remain that couple. I think it’s time that Ruth and I got to know each other better!

 

EMMY LOU’S APARTMENT - FRIDAY EVENING

 

EMMY

 

“So Baby, how are you guys?” I ask, handing him a glass of wine. He’s here to discuss ceremonies.

 

“When you ask how, do you mean us or because of what they’ve done?”

 

“Because of what they’ve done. I’ve had them sent to a service.” I tuck my legs underneath me.

 

“We’re still fucked off with their continued button pushing but…”

 

“Button pushing?”

 

“Yeah, that’s what they are doing. They do something really annoying to show how far they are willing to go to get their own way so that…”

 

“They can get their own way all the fucking time!” I sigh crossly.

 

“What about this service thing?”

 

“Oh, it’s great! A friend had a bit of a stalker, who kept calling him. So whenever his number or an unknown number comes up, it goes to this service that just doesn’t pick up for 20 rings and then it takes a message.”

 

“And the name and number of this service…” He giggles as he sips his wine.

 

“Will give it to you later! Now more important things. The ceremony and godfatherships, which is happening first?”

 

“Godfatherships? Okay then. Ceremony first then that. And I’ve got him to agree to another thing, Rocky Road Sundae.”

 

“Oh you have him wrapped!” I giggle.

 

“We both do. And only round our fingers.” He gives a shit eating grin.

 

ANGELCARS

 

CYNTHIA

 

This is a nice office. I’m waiting for Ruth, the childhood friend to come in. Anyone that has done what she’s done for them and works in this place, has my admiration. I’ve almost gone off what he’s told me about her. She got them married simply by getting them to talk to each other… Not just talk but to actually listen to each other.

 

“Cynthia?”

 

“Yes.” I stand up, smile and shake her hand. “Nice to meet you Ruth. I’m here to discuss the Kinnetic account. We would like…”

 

“Can I stop you there, please? And could you follow me?”

 

I’m surprised but follow her outside and into a beautiful back garden. “Wow, this is gorgeous!”

 

“It is indeed.” She waves at a seat and there is a little table with snacks and wine… okay, wine?

 

“So let’s cut to the chase. Has he told you where they’re living now?” I nod, completely thrown by the upfrontness of her. “The restraining order for that place kicked in on Tuesday. So… okay, didn’t tell you that bit but what exactly did they tell you about Sunday?”

 

“They went to dinner at Debs as usual and there was a row caused by C&C...Cinders and Crumpled.” I snicker. When she tells me that the C&C Cunty Company were having them followed, my laughter is replaced by fury. “For the love of fuck! Why can’t they leave them alone?!”

 

“Because they would have to take a good hard look at themselves and, like the rest of the world, they wouldn’t like what they see!” She spits.

 

“Do they know?” I ask.

 

“What that I own Heavenly Retreats? No I don’t think so.”

 

“Ruth.” I say her name quietly. “I did my research.”

 

“I see. No, they don’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I want to provide them with a safe haven and as much as they like my place, they love the loft. It has their memories...I got the freehold and by the time the ceremony rolls around, Miles will be the only one there. Britin will be done so they can stay there while they do it up.”

 

“So how many in the family know?”

 

“Jennifer, she helped with the freehold. Then there’s Mel, Ben, Emmy and Hunter.”

 

“Mel and Jennifer I understand but the rest…”

 

“Barolo makes me talkative, so that explains Emmy and Hunter, or Hunner as Gus calls him, overheard and he told Ben.”

 

I nod. “So Heavenly Retreats, how’d you get those places?” She raises her glass and smiles.

 

By the time she’s finished telling me about her failed great love, I resolve do another thing. To find Arno. He’s not the cowardly bastard that dumped her but his brother, who she lights up about whenever she mentions his name!

 

MEL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

BEN

 

They, including Brian and Justin, are coming for lunch. Gus and I have been playing in the garden and it’s now time for his shower. Hunner...Hunter is incredible with JR. She’s still teething and grumpy but the moment she hears his voice, she looks for him and her arms go up. Right now she’s on another popsicle, this one has strawberries in it. I still regret the way I allowed Michael to treat him when she came along. But we’ve talked about it and he’s forgiven me.

 

“Hunter. No more.” Mel chides him and he just grins at her. “Okay, maybe one later but that’s it. Thank goodness her stomach has got used to them; the nappies aren’t so nasty.”

 

“Speaking of nasty...” I sigh as the doorbell gets leant on. “Gus come on, let’s get you bathed!”

 

“But Uncle Ben you said I could have a shower.” Gus runs up to me.

 

“Yes I know I said that.” I pick him up. “And you will. To be bathed also means to have a wash, not just to have a bath.”

 

“Okay then!” Gus wraps his arms around me and we head upstairs.

 

MEL

 

Every fucking time I think about how much I’ve hurt them, I want to shoot myself. Not just Brian and Justin but also Ben. This gentle giant of a man is an absolute godsend to us. You need him and he drops everything to get here, not just for JR but for Gus as well. He’s been here fixing things around the house and helping Gus with his homework. Lindsay says she can’t get here because she’s trying to get a job. This is another thing we will be discussing!

 

But the true revelation has been Hunter. The popsicles are an absolute blessing, although we have been running low for some reason. So he’s bought another stash. JR was disappointed that there wasn’t any peach ones this time. Right now, she’s clutching onto the back of his shirt as he’s walking with her around the garden. Brian has a large box and Justin is carrying a basket.

 

“What do you have there?”

 

“Paddling pool. Where’s Gus?” Brian replies.

 

“Having a shower. Justin, can you…”

 

“Sure, no problem!” He calls back, heading upstairs quickly. Less than five minutes later, a very excited Gus is in the garden.

 

“You have to share with JR and when she’s in here you have to be careful, okay?” Justin tells him.

 

“Yes, daddy Justin. Oh the water can’t be too cold though.”

 

I suddenly find myself choked up and have to go to the kitchen. He’s definitely his father’s child, who is the man that I see clearly now, not the one that was painted with the brush of envy.

 

“Hey...”

 

“Brian, I’m so…”

 

“Sorry is bullshit, but thank you. Now go wash your face, Smelly Melly.”

 

Ten minutes later, I’m back and Brian, having commandeered the sun lounger, is leering at Justin in his trunks as he plates up the food. “Mr Taylor-Kinney, might I have a word?”

 

“No you cannot!” He grins over his shoulder. “And stay there!”

 

My phone beeps and with a sigh, I head to the door. “We’re in the garden, after you.”

 

LINDSAY

 

I’m fuming! They are all dressed for swimming and picnicking. “Couldn’t you have told us what you had planned?”

 

“You are in no position to be told or to demand anything.” Is Mel’s tart response.

 

“This food is great! Where is it from?” Hunter asks as he helps himself to another potato croquette.

 

“Emmy. We’re tasting for the ceremony.” Justin replies as Michael and I exchange surprised looks. Told you so, I mouth at him.

 

“Lambskin, would you like to sit with me for a moment?” I call out to Gus, who is sitting with Ben. I seethe internally when he looks at Ben first, who nods and smiles. Then when he leaves his book with Ben, I want to scream.

 

“Hunter, can you take JR out of the pool? I don’t want her to get a chill.” Michael calls out.

 

“The water is warm.” Hunter replies and feeds her another piece of croquette. “And she’s in the best place for her while she’s eating. Besides, she’s having a good time, aren’t you Gummy?”

 

Gummy?” Michael repeats.

 

“Yeah. Look at the way she eats.” Hunter feeds her another piece. “The Marcus gene couldn’t win that war! Basically she eats like you but with more finesse.”

 

I can’t help joining in with the laughter. “Lambskin, how has your week been?”

 

“Mommy, why do you call me that?”

 

“What? Lambskin?”

 

“Yes. It sounds funny since my name is Gus. Only you call me that and it just sounds funny.”

 

“But only daddy calls you Sonny Boy and…”

 

“No, daddy Justin calls me Sonny Boy too. Or they both call me Gussie. But my week has been good and I can’t wait for next weekend.”

 

“What’s happening next weekend?” Michael demands and I wince slightly at his tone.

 

“I get my watch for the cer....cerem...Uncle Ben, what’s that word?”

 

“Cer-emo-nies.” He replies.

 

“Cer-emo-nies.” Gus repeats.

 

“Now say it again real fast.”

 

“Ceremonies.”

 

“That’s it Gussie!” Brian grins.

 

“That’s lovely Lambskin. So where are you going to get it?”

 

“New York because Ruthie and Daphne have to get their outfits. And Frick and Frack have to get their collars…”

 

“Collars?”

 

“Yes. My daddies and momma said that I can invite some friends and I’ve invited them. That’s okay with you mommy, isn’t it?”

 

Everyone turns to look at me. “Yes Lambskin, it’s fine with me.”

 

“I can’t wait for next weekend. JR is going to love it; it is going to be so much fun!”

 

“JR?” Michael asks.

 

“Yes well she needs an outfit too so there’s going to be my daddies, momma, JR, Hunner, Ruthie, Uncle Ben and Auntie Emmy.”

 

MICHAEL

 

What the actual fuck?!

 

“Can we come?” I ask.

 

“Why?” Gus replies.

 

“Because she’s your mommy and I’m JR’s father.”

 

“But mommy has lots of clothes. So much so that she had to put them in my wardrobe…” He pauses and looks at me. “Daddy, I think you need to help Uncle Michael with his clothes. He always looks crumpled.”

 

Brian buries his face in the back of Boy Wonder’s head, who then gets up and grabs more food for his fat ass!

 

“So Brian, can we come?” Lindsay asks.

 

“Yeah, sure, not a problem.”

 

What?! I can’t believe it!

 

“P-pardon?”

 

“We obviously we will be staying with Daph and the guys are going to be staying with Ruth.”

 

“Ruth?” Lindsay frowns.

 

“Yeah, she has a Brownstone over there.” Brian stands up. “Now Mr Taylor-Kinney, I need to talk to you, immediately.”

 

“No you don’t. Sit back down!” Justin starts to back into the kitchen. “Brian stop it!”

 

“Brian, we need to discuss New York.” I call out as he follows Boy Wonder into the kitchen. When he pauses and comes back outside, I look at Lindsay and she winks at me.

 

“Why do we need to talk? How you two get to New York or where you stay is none of our concern. Now excuse me, I have to remove my husband’s trunks with my teeth.”

 

“For goodness sake, you two!” Mel glares at them.

 

Ah she’s back to normal!

 

“Use the former studio this time!” She laughs. “Ben, more wine?”

 

“Absolutely!”

 

Lindsay looks at me and like me she looks like she wants to be sick!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.