- Text Size +

CHAPTER 29 - MOM COMES CALLING AND JUSTIN’S BOMBSHELL

 

RUTH’S CONDO - TWO HOURS LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

I swirl the glass of beam in my hand and Justin is sitting quietly by my side. Slowly, he crawls into my lap. “How dare you speak to my husband like that? You are pathetic Michael. And on top of that, I’m cooking next Sunday!”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“And another thing! How dare you say you are a bad father? You’ve done everything for Gus and Gus loves you so much! He values the time you spend with him and…” His eyes start to tear up. “...if you ever say that you are a bad father again, I shall never ever blow you again.” I look at him aghast. “Are you a good father?” He demands.

 

“Yes.” I whisper. “But sometimes…”

 

“No other time. No more!” He tells me firmly. “And I think we should invite Ruth and Arno. Get the measure of him.” He nuzzles my neck and I sigh as he hits that spot.

 

“We’re going to have them all over early so there can be swimming but you…”

 

“Brian, stop it. You’re allowing them to be pressed...stop it.”

 

“I have never ever spoken to him like that, not even when I’ve been absolutely smashed.”

 

“How did it feel?”

 

“Good. It felt really good…and liberating.”

 

“You know what else feels good?” He whispers hotly in my ear.

 

“Yeah...the rest of that cake!” I dump his ass on the sofa and run to the kitchen with him, shouting indignantly behind me!

 

I manage to get the cake out of the fridge but then I’m rugby tackled to the floor. “Give me that!” He demands, trying to wrest the carton from me. “Brian! Give!” He tries again. ”Bri-an!” I manage to get the carton open and splat a fingerful on his face.

 

“Come here, you.” I laugh and pull him down to me and lick it off. “My husband...who always believes in me.”

 

“No matter what, I will always believe in you…”

 

“Wanna christen her kitchen?” He bites his lip and looks at the cake. “Okay, let’s have this first then rinse off in the shower.”

 

“Again, I love you!” He sits up to grab a spoon.

 

MICHAEL & LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - MONDAY EVENING

 

LINDSAY

 

I am still raging about the unfairness of it all! I knew that the person who got the renaissance class was a big deal, judging by the twittering. But for Ben to do what he did, in the time he did it, was so insulting!

 

I am also trying to bolster the mood of Michael, who quite frankly seems to still be vacillating between shock and rage after Brian ripped into him. And then for everyone else to decamp to Ruth’s on Sunday, where we can’t get to at the behest of Debs... He’s hurting about that too.

 

“I’ve been trying him all fucking day and nothing!”

 

“Michael.” I try to soothe. “You need to calm down and take the moral high road. You know what he’s like when it comes to Justin. But in the cold light of day, when he’s using his brain to think with and not his dick, he will come crawling back to you and…”

 

The doorbell rings and I’m surprised to find mother outside. “Mother, what a surprise! Come in, come in!”

 

She comes in and looks around. “What a lovely place! How are you, Michael? You look a little distressed.”

 

“I’m fine, Nancy…”

 

“Mrs Peterson.” She corrects him coolly and take a seat. “So, explain how you got here to me.”

 

This is not good!

 

“Well we…” I begin.

 

“Okay, let me try this another way. Explain to me why I had the bride come around my house last Monday, demanding that I remove the pictures that you had me post on FaceBook.”

 

“I don’t know why she would do that…”

 

“Lindsay, we’re WASPS and I taught you so don’t try to fool me. Lynette has been telling me that you, and I quote, pissed off the owner so my influence would be needed to get her wedding held there…”

 

“Why on earth would she want to get married there?!” I spit.

 

“Were we in the same building? It’s gorgeous! So what did you do and bear in mind that I have already been talking to a few people…”

 

“Mel and I had a falling out and…”

 

“Ah, so you’re still a lesbian, then?”

 

“Mother, what’s important is that I want things to go back to the way they were before…”

 

“Lindsay...and Michael, I have included you in this... I don’t agree with your taste in partners but that is the one thing that Brian Kinney will never be to either of you. Now if you want to indulge in these playground antics, do not include me in them. I have never been as embarrassed as when she came to my house and in front of my bridge and tennis friends and rightfully carped at me…”

 

“Rightfully?” I am astonished.

 

“Yes rightfully! You needlessly interfered in one of the most important days of a woman’s life. Her wedding day. And you forgot the most important rule of being a WASP and that is know your enemy and you don’t know Ruth Masterson. And that’s why you had to learn that lesson…”

 

“What are you talking about?” Michael demands.

 

She stands up and smiles thinly. “Well, I thought you needed a taste of her tongue too so I gave her your address. Sometimes only a face-to-face dressing down will do. And of course, I had to let a few select people know. Do not involve me in your schemes again, or Ruth will be the least of your problems. Now I have to meet your father; we have dinner reservations. I’ll see myself out.”

 

When the door closes behind her, I just stare at it in disbelief then turn to an equally astounded Michael. “What on earth just happened?” I ask.

 

“How the fuck should I know?! For fuck sake, Brian still hasn’t called me back!”

 

RUTH’S CONDO - SUNDAY MID-MORNING

 

DECK AREA

 

JUSTIN

 

I absolutely love this place but even better; I love the fact that it’s Sunday...they’re not here and Debs has been firmly placed on a lounger and told to stay there!

 

A long tanned arm encircles my shoulders and hands me a glass of champagne. “Why is it brown at the bottom?” I look warily up at him but he just waves it at me; so I take a tentative sip and then grin. “Oh that’s nice what is it?”

 

“Ask Emmy.” He kisses the side of my neck. “Gus! Do you want to get in the pool?!”

 

“Yes daddy!” He calls back and I smile as Brian strides over to make our son happy. “Daddy!” He squeals as Brian flings him over his shoulder and starts to get in the pool.

 

“Emmy! What is this called?” I shout over my shoulder.

 

“A beamosa! Beam and champagne, you like?!”

 

“Yes, far too easy to drink though!” I put it down and then Frick and Frack go nuts, which means one thing...Ruth.

 

“Hey honey!” Debs calls from lounger. “So where is he?”

 

“New York trying to salve the ego of his brother and sister-in-law!” She laughs. “Their widdle feelings not being helped by the fact that his baba is delighted that he’s with me.”

 

“Baba?” Debs frowns.

 

“Grandma. Turns out that she’s had a soft spot me and was absolutely furious when we split up.”

 

“Justin, you sure you want to cook for all of us?”

 

“Mama G!” I gasp and hug her firmly. “What are you doing here?!”

 

“Greg’s birthday tomorrow.” She smiles and winks at me before accepting the wet hug from Gus. “Always come down and make him some of the chicken and since you liked the seasoning so much I thought I would drop some over for you. Nobody gets to know what’s in it.”

 

“Believe me I’ve tried.” Ruth peers in the tub. “What you doing?”

 

“Pork ribs, prawns and...hey!” I object as the jar is removed from my hand by Brian and he heads to the kitchen. “I was going to use some of that!”

 

“Not today!” He calls back and I follow him into the kitchen. “Brian that was...mfff!” I’m surprised and delighted when he sticks his tongue in my mouth.

 

He grins and leans against the counter having put the jar on the highest shelf. “I spoke to Greg while we were in N’Awlins. There’s a special ingredient…”

 

It takes a few minutes for me to realise what he means and I lick my lips again. “No.” I look at Mama G who looks so innocent. “Really?! Oh we have to have that on our own!”

 

“I know that, see if you can get that chicken recipe of Ruth before she goes! Gives a new meaning to chicken pot roast.” He smirks.

 

“Come on Baby! People need feeding!” Emmy comes in and drags me out.

 

An hour later we’re just laughing and joking but I notice that Brian keeps glaring at his phone as time and time again it rings.

 

“Give it to me.” Mama G holds out her hand. “Madam Lash’s House of Pain, this is Dominatrix Trude how may I hurt you?” We just stare at her. “No this is Madam Lash’s House of Pain...hello? Hello? He hung up. What?”

 

“Oh my goodness, I see where you get that from!” Ben laughs.

 

His phone rings again and he nods. “Madam Lash’s House of Pain, this is Dominatrix LaRue how may I hurt you?” She purrs. “Ma’am please calm down. I’m afraid you have misdialed. Hello?”

 

It rings again and again she answers as a Dominatrix and again they hang up and finally they cave and call me. “Justin Taylor. Yes Lindsay what is it? No Brian had his phone stolen, we’ve let the most important people know! We’re about to start eating...no we’re out at the moment, with clients, at Eleven….oh shit! Hello? Hello?”

 

“Well that’s going to keep them occupied for a while.” I laugh.

 

“Why?” Hunter asks.

 

“Eleven doesn’t confirm reservations, so the only way they are getting to see Brian is to go there…”

 

“Nicely done!” Ben lifts his glass. “But not as nicely done as your first day.”

 

“What?” I ask innocently. “It had nothing to with me…”

 

Start of flashback

CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

BEN

 

“Okay, here’s the staff room and the usual facilities. Avoid the coffee at all costs!” Justin looks so nervous and I nudge him. “Come on let me walk you to your classroom. I can be your lunch buddy if you want?”

 

RENAISSANCE CLASS

 

As we approach the class I see Cassia and her face lights up. “The very man!” She calls out approaching. “Justin Taylor, it’s an absolute pleasure to meet you and to have such a young talent in my class!”

 

“Hi Justin, Ben!” I think I can hear both our hearts sinking as Lindsay approaches...considering she’s supposed to start next week. “I managed to persuade Millie to let me start this week isn’t that great?!”

 

“I can’t begin to tell you how much.” I tell her and Cassia opens the door to the classroom with a laugh.

 

“Right Justin I’ll see you later!” I call out and he nods and waves goodbye.

 

CASSIA

 

We’ve been teaching all morning. Justin has an incredible eye and the way he talks to the pupils is gently encouraging. A couple of the pupils know his background and are a touch in awe of him and I have to admit when I read Rage I was blushing! As the pupils leave he is beaming. “So I take it you enjoyed that?”

 

“It’s been brilliant. So tell me about Rathman, the residential part specifically. I’ve agreed to do one show but there have been certain familial circumstances that have made me change my mind…”

 

“Justin!” A blonde woman trills.

 

“Speaking of which.” He sighs and I frown.

 

“How was your first day Justin?” She asks getting between me and him. “Was it all you expected? Like I told you it would be?”

 

“Hi Ben.” I say as we enter the staffroom. “My how you’ve changed since I spoke to you saw you earlier.” And Justin laughs having caught my wink of mischief.

 

“Pardon?” Ben looks up from the sofa in confusion.

 

“Oh nothing.” I sit next to him but before Justin can sit next to me the woman sits down next to me. “So exactly who…”

 

“Ah Lindsay there you are!” Millicent calls out as she comes into the room.

 

“At least I know who you are now.” I turn to Lindsay. “Would you mind moving? I need to speak to Justin about…”

 

“I understand you did the Rathman Show a few years ago, I’ve always admired your pieces…”

 

“Really which ones?”

 

“Sky and the Moon. The Arc of the Lissom and…”

 

“Arch of the Lilies and Sky of the Moon.” Justin comes to join us and Lindsay goes red. “I was about to speak to Cassia about…”

 

“Rathman I heard. Justin is doing only one show and…” Lindsay interrupts.

 

“Yes we were trying to discuss how…”

 

“Did you know I discovered him? If it wasn’t for me…”

 

“I see what your pupils mean Lindsay.” Millicent interjects.

 

“My pupils? Sorry Millicent what?”

 

“Well a couple of them came in from your early morning class to say that you let them out a good 20 minutes too early and that they felt you were rushing through the lesson as did your second class. You need to slow your diction…” Justin and Ben suddenly can’t look at each other. “So in this afternoon’s class I shall have Bernhard sit in to appraise you, it’s a bit too early to be hearing this. Maybe it’s nerves. Now let me introduce you to Bernhard.”

 

Lindsay had no other choice but to follow.

 

“What a strange woman.” I say. “Now the Rathman Residential, to be honest, it’s up to the individual but it is a great opportunity but…”

End of flashback

 

BRIAN

 

I smile into my husband’s hair, he’s already told me this but it still makes me smile to hear. Especially when he said that he never saw Lindsay for the rest of the week as he and Cassia took the class on a field trip to Bloom of all places!

 

“So are you going to do the residential?” Hunter asks. “It’s 6 months away from the old ball and chain.”

 

“Yes, I’m going to do it.” Justin grins at everyone and they look astonished. “It doesn’t start until Britin should be finished, so how would you like to live there for six months?”

 

“Who me?” Hunter looks shocked.

 

“Well not just you. You, Ben, Mel and the kids…”

 

“Are you nuts?! Brian and Mel would kill each other!” Debs laughs.

 

“There’s enough room for them to be kept apart and during the residency you can rent out your places until it ends.” Justin explains earnestly and they start to nod as they warm to the idea.

 

“Yeah over two thousand miles between us should stop Mel and me from arguing.” I whisper, he freezes and then tries to turn to face me. “No twat. Keep looking forward, say nothing but we will talk about logistics later.” I murmur, he looks down for a minute and then after a deep breath he looks up and I know he’s smiling!

 

I kiss the back of his neck and then lick away the tear that had dripped onto my hand.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please revieew kindly and constructively. Thanks