- Text Size +

CHAPTER 54 - FEELING BLESSED...PART 1

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - MONDAY MID-MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDSAY

 

I have a roiling stomach but not because of the amount I drank, or because of the memory of Michael throwing up on my ‘trousseau’ shoes. No, I feel apprehensive about how much he is going to remember from last night! I hear his door open and he comes in looking grey. He sits down heavily before turning to me.

 

“So are they right? I mean truly, Lindsay be honest, please...”

 

Oh fuck!

 

“Have I really been holding onto a childhood fantasy? Is Justin really his one?”

 

I almost shit myself in relief!

 

“Not really, I don't believe that.” At least that’s not a lie. “But maybe you have had a slightly unrealistic view of what being with Brian would involve.”

 

“What do you mean?” He rests his head on my shoulder and I pat his head.

 

“Brian has the ability to adapt to a situation quickly and Justin, through his upbringing, can do that too. When you were with David, you changed…”

 

“Don't mention that fucker’s name to me again! I still can't understand why he did that. Why?” He starts to snivel. “Why did he even contact me just to humiliate me like that?”

 

“You did kind of lay yourself out for that.” I turn to face him and he looks hurt and astonished. “Hear me out. You didn't change anything when you came back, especially your cell number. And I bet that Justin, now that they are friends, put him up to it.”

 

Bat eyes, sympathetic smile and squeeze hand again.

 

“But they said it was his mom and your mom who did that.” He frowns.

 

“And how would they have gotten in contact with him?” Tuck hair behind ears, look through lashes and stroke arm. “It’s a WASP thing, look innocent whilst plotting.”

 

Reign it in Peterson! Can’t let Delusional Dumbass know that he’s been being subjected to the WASP thing every day even before this round of bullshit started.

 

“Hmmm. Did I throw up on your shoes?”

 

“Yes you did. I only just got them.”

 

“Oh fuck, sorry. Take some money out of the joint account and replace them.” He sighs heavily again. No shit Sherlock! And I’ll take a little more for this impromptu psychotherapy session. I should indeed be paid for having to endure what I know is coming next. “So what you’re saying is that in order to get Brian, I have to change and adapt to the world he’s in now?”

 

Seriously, he is going for this?!

 

“That’s one way of looking at it. But why not go back to bed and get some sleep, but after you shower.”

 

He sniffs down his top and grimaces. “Wow, I’m ripe! Although, I am glad of one thing about last night...”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“No more Sam. Sorry, he was just so filthy looking! How could you do it with him?” I shrug sadly, allowing a tear to drop. He sits down and he takes my hand. “But you can do so much better than both him and Mel! And I don't believe Tabitha is his daughter either.”

 

“Thanks and neither do I, although I still would've liked to have gone to Paris. Instead, I’ll be sitting here wishing I was at our children's ceremonies, at least Paris would’ve provided a distraction.”

 

His face darkens and he gets up to grab the folder labelled Shit from Mel. He flicks through it carefully. “No, no, nothing. Them saying we can’t come means jack shit! All we do is let them think we’re going to keep away as ordered but turn up anyway. They are our kids too; we have the right to see this! Ouch! How much did I fucking drink last night?!”

 

“Well bearing in mind we had wine here, then champagne and you swapped to spirits, I would say a lot! But back to the christenings, we don't even know where it is going to be.” I point out while trying to figure out how to find out.

 

He sneers. “Well, you know Brian. He would want the best and Boy Wonder is not going to have it at his precious fucking house. So that leaves one obvious place…”

 

“Of course, she would offer it! That…”

 

“Ouch! Still have headache Lindz! Now all we need to do is, if it is going to be there, find out which one.” He taps the folder thoughtfully. “What about Marie? Would Mel have told her about it?”

 

“Maybe, but she wouldn’t tell me. Mel would’ve made sure of that!”

 

“Not necessarily. She’s only, well she was only like that with Brian. What about Gus, as in asking him? Since, they’re all about being PC parents, there’s no way they would've told him not to tell you.”

 

Seems being hungover works wonders for his thought process! Shame being drunk doesn’t have the same effect!

 

“What about your teacher friend…” He continues.

 

“Of course! One second! Oh sorry...take some Advil while I do this call.” I soothe and he trudges to the bathroom. “Celia, its Lindz. How are you? Did I catch you at a bad time? Nothing’s wrong, but I just wanted to gives you advance warning that Gus might be a touch excitable and distracted in class in the run up to the weekend. Yes, his christening. Oh he’s told you all about it, has he? I’m hoping for good weather. I tried to resist the heavenly pun, but since you’ve done it! Thanks Celia. No doubt there will be lots of photos for the next show and tell! Bye!”

 

“Well?” He sits down and gulps down some water.

 

“You were right. It’s in Heavenly Retreats in good ole Pittsburgh!” I smirk. “So now what do you suggest we do?”

 

“Me? You’re the ideas woman!” He laughs, leaning back and closing his eyes. “Maybe I will be able to come up with something once I’ve had shower and some more sleep! See you in a couple of hours.” He hauls himself off the sofa and, much to my olfactory relief, heads to the bathroom.

 

I listen for the door to close and the sound of the shower. But to be on the safe side, I knock on the door. “Are you in the shower yet? Am going to make some coffee!”

 

“No thanks! Just brought up the Advil!” He opens the door and I have to resist the kneejerk reaction to clap my hand over my nose, such is the smell! “Christ, I feel like shit! I’d leave it a while if I were you.”  He advises and heads back to bed.

 

“Michael, come back and at least open the window!” I order and it is like watching a ship turn as he returns to the bathroom to do as he’s bid. “Thanks, now go and get some rest. Do you want me to wake you in a couple of hours?”

 

He just nods and slowly makes his way back to his room.

 

I stagger back to the sofa and collapse in relief and think back to last night. Michael has one of many failings where Brian is concerned; it’s called tunnel vision. He doesn’t see or hear much when Brian’s in the immediate vicinity. They were relentless in pointing out how I am using him but I am not using or manipulating him. I am merely...I start to giggle. Yeah I’m using him but more fool him for letting me!  And even though he threw up in the restaurant, I had a bit of Schadenfreude as the dining room had to be closed down. I made sure to keep him liquored up until he almost passed out.

 

But now I have to replace my shoes then try and put a spanner in the Sam works. Tabitha being is his daughter is as likely as Michael ending up with Brian!

 

KINNETIC - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

He’s sulking! Proper I’m not talking to you until I get my way sulking! He hasn’t done it for a while and it’s quite amusing to watch. And all because I won’t do what I said I was going to do to him for his behaviour at that fucking dinner before our blessing ceremony.

 

“Enter!” I call out.

 

“Not that you’re going to be doing much of that tonight!” He mutters just loud enough and then glowers when I chuckle.

 

“Brian, this meeting with…” Cyn looks between us. “Okay what’s got you so ornery, Justin?”

 

“Don’t say horn…” I chuckle.

 

“Bye Cyn! I can’t stand to be in the same room as him right now!” He picks up his things and flounces out.

 

Cyn turns to look at me and I simply stare back. “Seriously, you’re not going to go after him?”

 

“Nope. He’s being a super-brat and is merely adding to his tally. What was it you needed?”

 

“Well for a start, super-brat’s signature on one document and the logistics for the Remson meeting.”

 

“I’ll speak to Remson directly and super-brat is most likely sitting in the art department doodling.”

 

“Brian! Go and sort this!” She orders.

 

“Oh for fuck sake!” I grumble and go and find my recalcitrant husband, who as I said he would be, is in the art department doodling.

 

JUSTIN

 

It took him long enough. I keep the smirk off my face as he saunters towards me. He sits by my side and I make a point of ignoring him.

 

“So Michael Junior, when are you going to snap out of this?”

 

My head whips up and I goggle at him. “Did you just call me…”

 

“Yes Junior, I did.” He stares me down and all thoughts of putting an end to my sulk-a-thon disappear as I am seriously insulted!

 

“I’m going to HQ!” I snap and start to slam my pad into my bag.

 

“Fine!” He snaps back and stalks to his office.

 

I can’t believe it... of all the names to call me, and twice, he picks that one!  That really hurt! I take a couple of breaths because my chest feels tight.

 

“Everyone who’s not Justin, get out!” He orders.

 

I keep my eyes glued to the desk, willing myself not to cry. I don’t look up when the door shuts.

 

“That was low.” I try to keep the emotion out of my voice. “You can call me a cunt, which I absolutely loathe, or anything else but not his name. After everything he put, is putting us through, do not ever call me his name!”

 

“It wasn’t low...it was cruel and hurtful.” He sighs and I hear the desk creak on the other side of the room as he sits on it. “I am just sick of it, sick of it all and…”

 

I wait for him to continue but he’s still quiet. I look up slowly and he’s staring at his ring. My heart starts to hammer in my chest and I feel nausea start to build.

 

“We need to speak to Ben and Mel about ceremonies and...what the fuck?! Justin! What are you looking at me like that for?!”

 

“You looked at your ring.” I respond as calmly as I can.

 

“Yeah, as much as I like this one, I can’t wait to wear your official wedding ring on Saturday.”

 

“YOU STUPID FUCKER! DO YOU KNOW WHAT I THOUGHT WHEN I SAW YOU DO THAT?!”

 

He’s about to shout back when it dawns on him and he rushes to me, yanking me into his arms. “You stupid twat! No! Absolutely fucking not!”

 

“It’s all my fault!” I mumble into his chest.

 

“Well actually it is…”

 

“Super-brat twat sincerely and profusely apologises.”

 

“Accepted, but I’m still not telling you how it happens.” I look up at him through my lashes, but he is unmoved. “Trust me, you will like it. Now would you prefer it now or shall we go to HQ and do it there?”

 

My heart skips a beat. “I thought that was next weekend.”

 

“It is, but I’m talking about the spanking for being a super-brat.”

 

“You're serious?” I gasp. “After what you called me, I think that’s punishment enough!”

 

“True. Okay, no spanking for you though I do feel a make-out session is called for…”

 

“Brian! Justin!” Cyn bellows. “They need to finish the boards for the meeting at four. Go fuck in your office!”

 

We laugh at her continued ballsiness and head out. “Just for that, we’re going to fuck in yours!” I tell her and she shrugs.

 

“You realise we do it raw, right?” Brian smirks.

 

She kicks off her shoes and runs!

 

MEL’S HOUSE - WEDNESDAY EARLY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

It would seem we had all reached the same thought, rather like the Borg Collective but acting for the greater good. As the ceremonies got closer, Gus started to realise how much he wanted his mommy to be there and only asked once if she was definitely not coming.

 

“So who is going to call them?” Ben asks, gently easing the spoon out of Gummy’s hand as she tries to feed herself. She’s getting more on him than in her mouth.

 

“The same people that banned them. So that would Debs and Ronald, making it clear to them that they leave straight afterwards.”

 

“Do we tell Gus now, because you know they are going to be like in like Flynn to come?” Hunter asks, taking Gummy from Ben so he can get cleaned up. She’s about to kvetch but Hunter, as usual, has the magic touch and she lets him feed her.

 

“And we also need to let Ruth and Arno know.” Justin declares.

 

“Why? It shouldn't impact them at all.” Hunter frowns.

 

“Ruth doesn't need to be under any unnecessary stress.” Justin answers distractedly. “Where’s Brian and Gus? It can’t take this long to get…”

 

“Justin? You okay?” I ask gently. He seems really panicked. “They won't be long, it’s just up the…”

 

Right on cue, we hear Brian’s dulcet tones grumbling about long queues to Ben.

 

“Uncle Ben! Quick, we have to get the ice cream in the bowl! Papa doesn't like it too cold!”

 

Brian laughs, shaking his head as he comes in. “Seriously, the things I do for this…Justin?”

 

“We need to call Ruth. Please?”

 

“Guys, what's going on?” I demand.

 

“I have no fucking idea. Went out to get him some chocolate, Gus wanted to get his papa ice cream and came back to this! Did we make a decision about the morons?”

 

“Yeah. Sorry to say that we’ve agreed they should come. You know them...they will only try and find a way to get there anyway. Not rescinding the ban gives them too much power to spoil the day for everyone. The conniving C-word has already called Celia…”

 

“Jesus, take the fucking wheel! For fuck…” Justin growls and storms out.

 

Nerves. He’s been like this all week. Be back in a minute.” Brian explains.

 

BACK GARDEN

 

JUSTIN

 

It's at times like this I wish I still smoked! I hear the door close and then to my surprise a sharp swat on my butt.

 

“One more?” He asks and I nod then wince as his hand cracks across my other cheek. “Come here you twat.” We just hold each other for a while. “You still want to call?” I squeeze him in reply. “Okay, but let’s do it away from here. We can wait to call them when we get home.”

 

“The minute we get in?”

 

“You have my word.”

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S APARTMENT - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I look at Carl and then Ma. Lindsay is looking as equally surprised as me.

 

“Repeat that?” I demand.

 

“Watch your tone!” Nancy snaps at me. “Oh you're right, Debs. It does feel good to snap back! As you heard perfectly clearly, you can come to Gus and Gummy’s christening but you are to leave straight afterwards. You, Lindsay, will remain with us and Michael, you will remain with Debs and Carl. You will not leave one of our sides at all, not even to go to the bathroom. And you will hand over your phones beforehand. Those are the terms and again Lindsay, there is no way around them. So are you coming or staying here?”

 

“Of course we’re going to come! What made them change their minds?” Lindsay flashes me a quick smirk.

 

“The only person that could... Gus.” Carl retorts. “So phones first then…”

 

“What do you mean phones first?” I try to be as polite as I can.” Ma laughs and Ronald just smirks.

 

“When we said remain, we meant it. You are coming back home until it's time for you to leave.” Ma smirks. “Still want to come?”

 

“But, we thought…” Lindsay stammers.

 

“Wrongly. As usual. Now, what's it going to be?” Carl demands.

 

“I need my phone!” I bluster.

 

“What for? You don't have any friends.” Ronald scoffs.

 

“Daddy, I’m his friend.”

 

“Of course you are, Lilith...I mean, Lindsay.” He retorts.

 

She goes stock still and red a second for some reason but in the end, we exchange looks before reaching for our phones and handing them over.

 

“Thank you. Now Nancy and Debs, why don't you two help our little ones with their packing...”

 

“We can pack ourselves!” I object.

 

“I know you can Michael, but you're not going to.” He bitches. “Take your time ladies, Carl why don't you open that lovely bottle of Barolo I saw on the side? Let’s make an event of this.”

 

“Will do.” He snickers going to the kitchen. “Oh there’s some really good beer in here! Fancy that instead, Ronald?”

 

“Please! We’ll order take-out in about half an hour!”

 

“It's not going to take us that long to pack, daddy.”

 

“Oh this isn't for you. This is for Mel and the children. She won the bet.”

 

“Bet? What bet?” She asks.

 

“She said that you would immediately say yes without thinking it through properly.”

 

“I don't…”

 

“Well whose idea do you think it was to have you stay with us?” Nancy laughs. “You keep making these rookie mistakes, Lindsay!” Lindsay glares at her. “Don't look at me like that or I shall help you pick out your outfit.”

 

“Oh that’s a great idea! Tell you what... you do Michael's and I’ll do Lindsay's!”

 

“Not funny, Ma.” I grumble.

 

“Not joking Michael.” She retorts.

 

RUTH’S DOCTOR'S OFFICE - FRIDAY MORNING

 

GILDA

 

I smile at the sleeping form of Justin and chuckle at the memory of last night…

 

Start of flashback

RUTH’S CONDO - LATE EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

GILDA

 

Ruth is glaring at me. “This may be your house, but this is still my chair and I know when someone else’s bony ass has been sitting in it.”

 

“I’m not the only one with a bony ass!” She gripes and then smiles, sheepishly. “It’s so comfy! Can't you at least tell me where you got it from?”

 

“Nope. Won't …” Arno’s phone interrupts me briefly. “Won't be the same. Needs to be seasoned by sitting and rocking it right. A new one won’t be as comfy for a good few years.”

 

“But you have two of them. Can't you have the other one shipped?”

 

“Have done. It’s in New York.”

 

“Mom.” She’s attempting to intimidate me with her look, which I taught her. “Worth a try.” She sighs flopping back on the sofa.

 

Arno comes in laughing. “Someone is a little over excited and can't sleep. So they're coming over.”

 

“You realise the over excited one is Brian?”

 

“I thought it would be…”

 

“It's Brian. He’s lucky that Justin loves to sleep. He can blame him. Oh, actually call him back and tell him to go to Heavenly and stay there instead. Saves them schlepping from here to there tomorrow. But not in the suite.”

 

“Good idea…” Ten minutes later, he’s shaking his head. “How’d you know? They are now packing, his exact words why the fuck didn't I think of that? I'm all over the fucking place, get it together!

 

“Even though he has Gus, he wasn't there for any of it. It’s their first time.” She explains. Then gets up and takes out a small box. “Would it be bad luck to give this to them tomorrow?” I take the box and look inside. “Arno found them and well…”

 

“Whatever happens will happen. But afterwards, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

End of flashback

 

“Ruth! So sorry to have kept you. There was a traffic accident on the way here. Give me 10 minutes to get myself sorted out.” Her doctor rushes to his office. Brian jostles Justin and slowly he sits up.

 

“Okay, come on in folks!”

 

Soon she’s lying down and he applies gel to her stomach. “Cold!” She gripes.

 

“It’ll heat up.” Brian smirks at Justin. That is wiped off his face when the unmistakable sound of a heartbeat fills the room.

 

“Alrighty, let’s see what we have here. Where are you? Ah, there you are!” He grins and then points at the screen. “Looking good.”

 

“You two can…” Ruth trails off as Brian walks to the screen.

 

This?” He whispers. “This is Baby TK?”

 

“Yes. Do you want to know the finer details?”

 

“Please.” Justin has joined him and like Brian is touching the screen in wonder.

 

“Okay, so right here is…”

 

HEAVENLY RETREATS - TWO HOURS LATER

 

RUTH’S APARTMENT

 

ARNO

 

They hardly said a word on the way back and we virtually had to carry them into the building. Now that they have a brandy each, they seem to be coming around.

 

“Guys. Guys come on, say something!” I have to stop myself from shaking them.

 

“Incredible.” Brian murmurs, still staring at the sonogram picture. “Thank you, so much.”

 

“Shush and have more brandy!” Ruth laughs and then hands me the box.

 

“We…”

 

“You.” Ruth corrects me with a smile.

 

“I saw these and I couldn't resist. Ruth had to hide them from me so I didn't give them earlier.”

 

“What?” Justin asks, still staring at the picture on his lap...they had to have one each.

 

“Ar-Arno...they are... Where did you find these?” Brian gasps and that makes Justin look up.

 

“They are so tiny!” He cries taking the booties out of the box. “Oh Brian, look at the sole! Look at the sole!”

 

On the sole of the moccasin booties is Baby TK...beloved child.

 

“Where did you say you got them from?” Brian is stroking them reverentially. “And do they come in an adult size?”

 

“Land of Nod, its online…and no.”

 

“Shame that. Okay twat, put that down as a shop. Of course, you're already doing it; what was I thinking?” He kisses the glare off his face. “But no shopping until BTK arrives.”

 

“But...look!” He turns the pad to us and soon we are cooing and ordering.

 

“Right, enough you four!” Gilda laughs, taking the pad off him. “You are not, repeat not, to hit ‘Buy’ on this. Understand?” We all nod. “Put up your right hands!” We do so. “Now put your left where I can see them and repeat after me; we promise not to hit buy on this shopping until Gilda says so. If we break that promise, she will never make her special seasoning for us ever again.”

 

We repeat it and then Justin looks hopeful. “I don't suppose you…”

 

“What do you think?!” Gilda chuckles. “Now get going!”

 

“What for?” Brian is back to picture gazing and Justin is putting the moccasins gently back in their box.

 

“Really, I mean really?!” Gilda snorts and swats him on the back of his head.

 

“Oh yeah! Sorry, baby brain! Come on twat, see you guys tomorrow!”

 

We stare at each other in silence for a few seconds after they've gone.

 

“Did he really just say…” Ruth begins when the door opens again.

 

“You never heard that!” He declares, his face red.

 

 

“Nope not a damn thing!” Ruth laughs.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks