- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

Carl asked to see my work. It made it so we actually had something to talk about. I showed him the one I did of Gus when my other work didn’t seem to be his taste.

 

“I get the feeling Gus isn’t always like this,” He tells me.

 

“Gus needs a lot of love, probably as much as Brian does,” I tell him.

 

“You’re a bit protective of Brian. I want you to know I didn’t come here just to meet him and forget him,” He tells me.

 

“He took care of me when he didn’t even know me, or that Lily was his,” I tell him.

 

“He didn’t seem to want to explain how you figured it out,” He tells me.

 

“As his father, just know if the numbers on his file spell out the truth, he grew in every area,” I tell him, laughing at his blush, but he gave in and laughed.

 

“I can see why he’s interested in you as more than Lily’s father,” He tells me.

 

“He told me I heal parts of him. I think they were healing and he might mistake the timing,” I tell him.

 

“Why are you afraid of the possibility that you are doing that for him?” He asks.

 

“What happens when he no longer needs that? We still have Lily,” I tell him.

 

“What happens when he’s still there, wanting you?” He asks me.

 

“You know, I can give advice to other people like I know everything, but not listen to it,” I tell him.

 

“You’re avoiding the question. I heard you tell Brian it only leads to misunderstandings,” He tells me.

 

“Then I’m an idiot for thinking time changes anything,” I tell him.

 

“Relationships are different when you have to consider your children and how it affects them. If Brian was around before you decided to have Lily, you could decide based on only you,” He tells me.

 

“Have you ever dated someone your kids didn’t like?” I ask.

 

“You afraid you’ll run out of diapers?” He asks, looking at the wall of diaper boxes.

 

“Your son did that,” I tell him.

 

“Until Deb, I never really dated. More because my job demands a lot of my time, and wanting to be there when my other kids needed me,” He tells me, following me into my kitchen.

 

“I don’t think she counts, because you didn’t know Brian at the time. He tried to use it as a con in meeting you, but I really think it’s because he was trying to convince himself not to, when he wanted to,” I tell him.

 

“The people I talked to about Brian made him sound like he wasn’t going to be easy to get to know,” He tells me.

 

“Yet you showed up anyway,” I tell him.

 

“He’s my son,” He tells me, as if it explains everything.

 

“Not every father would see it that way,” I tell him.

 

“It explains why we have so many lost kids out there. Every generation is worse than the last, but what the last doesn’t see is the new one is what we made them. I’m not saying it’s all the older generation's fault, but our kids only learn what we teach them. If more parents loved their kids the way they should, you wouldn’t have the things like the girls did to Gus or Brian. Hell, even Deb’s brother called her one of Brian’s abusers. Like Jack wasn’t enough, and Brian needed even more,” He tells me, getting angry for Brian.

 

“When I hear about Debra and Michael it seems to pertain to Ted, more than Brian. Brian worries more about Gus than whatever the other two did,” I tell him.

 

“I had to hear it from Deb, and at the time I didn’t know who she was complaining about. She blames the whole family for daring to breathe in Pittsburgh. Somehow she thinks the girls are blameless in what they did to Gus. I have a feeling if she got a papercut, she’d find a way that Brian or Joan did it,” He tells me.

 

“It really makes you wonder if being lonely is worse than the idiots you pick to date,” I tell him.

 

“Justin, it’s never worse than dating an idiot,” He tells me, answering his phone when it rings.

 

CARL

 

I like Justin, he’s got issues, but a good head on his shoulders. I think if Brian is anything like his brother and sister, he’ll make what he wants to happen with Justin work for both of them.

 

I answered when Carl Jr called, not expecting the conversation. “Say that again?” I ask.

 

“Some red headed woman came up to me in your driveway, calling me an asshole and telling me if I want to live here again, not to call the cops on her and some guy named Michael. Is this some nutcase you know?” He asks me.

 

“Unfortunately it’s a nutcase that probably didn’t realize you weren’t Brian. You and Brian look like twins, if you dressed better. She’s pissed that I broke it off with her,” I tell him, hanging my head at ever thinking Deb was a good idea.

 

“We need to talk about your taste in women. I can’t believe she calls him an asshole, then acts like he shouldn’t want her ass away from him. What kind of screwed up people do that?” He asks.

 

“The kind that treated your brother and his son like shit,” I tell him.

 

“Not if I have anything to say about it. Let her run her mouth like that again and I’ll show her what his big brother thinks of it,” He tells me.

 

“Just stay away from Liberty Diner and you’ll be fine,” I tell him, wincing, since he knows just as much as I do about what I could find out about Brian’s life. It was not the way to get him to stand down.

 

“Thanks for the tip. I might just have to stop in for a bite. I’ll call Vicky and tell her we can go ahead and come,” He tells me.

 

“Tell your sister she wasn’t the only one who had a new addition to announce. Brian just had a daughter, I’ll send you pictures of the angel,” I tell him.

 

“Great, now my wife is going to beg for one more, she says we need less testosterone in the family. What’s angel’s name, so I can tell Vicky before she tries to bombard Brian with questions?” He asks me.

 

“Lily. Tell Vicky to take it easy on Brian, we don’t need to overwhelm him,” I tell him.

 

“Did Brian get married or something? I’m asking for Vicky and my wife, because they’ll want to know,” He asks.

 

“No. I was told he and Justin just meet a couple weeks ago,” I tell him.

 

“Dad, there’s no such thing as two week babies,” The smart ass tells me.

 

“They found out Brian was the donor Justin used when he decided to have a baby. I’ll explain it later, tell your sister to wait,” I tell him.

 

“Brian has an interesting life, I’ll have to see. Bye,” He hangs up before I can tell him to leave it alone.

 

“We’re just all kinds of complicated,” Justin laughs.

 

BRIAN

 

Emmett kept Gus entertained as we waited for my mother and nephews to get off the plane. Peter came out, with John dragging my mother behind him. I waited to text them that Carl was here, so she couldn’t find out until they landed. She needed to face her past, not hide from it. I figured meeting Lily would give her time before she entered the lion’s den.

 

“She looks so much like you,” Mom told me when I handed her Lily.

 

“We think she looks like Daddy,” Gus tells her, confusing her.

 

“He doesn’t understand Lily’s father isn’t his,” Emmett whispered to Mom.

 

“Justin’s fine with it,” I tell her, so we don’t have Gus upset.

 

“How are you with meeting Carl?” She asks.

 

“Grandma was worried you’d be mad at her,” Peter tells me.

 

“I told her you’d be okay. It’s like they forget who you are,” John tells me.

 

“He’s not expecting more than us getting to know him and my brother and sister. I can deal with it. I like him so far,” I tell her.

 

Emmett and the boys went to get the luggage while I took Mom with me and Lily to the car. I wanted her to be able to talk without worrying what she said around everyone. She still had problems with that.

 

“He didn’t come with you?” Mom asks, looking around.

 

“He stayed with Justin. I think he didn’t want to make you uncomfortable,” I tell her.

 

“He was always like that,” She tells me, as we get to the car to wait on the rest of our group.

 

“I think he also wanted to get to know Justin,” I tell her.

 

“I do too, you seem more relaxed lately,” She tells me, patting my cheek.

 

“He makes the other things less important,” I tell her.

 

“I’ve never heard you sound like that,” She tells me. “You sound like you love him,” She tells me, when I didn’t say anything.

 

“I don’t think love happens that fast, I do think it’s something I might be willing to try with him, one day when he’s ready,” I tell her.

 

“I fell in love in one day, only I let it go,” She tells me wistfully, as everyone gets in the car.

 

CARL JR

 

I knew I was walking into the right place when all eyes turned to look at me. I have a feeling my brother has the same affect on men that I have on women. My wife thinks it’s funny when women trip over themselves when I walk by. I used to think they were clumsy. I didn’t get the whole thing, because to me it was just a face and body that I was born with, and it didn’t make me any better than the next guy. Not that I didn’t use it when I met my wife, Diana. I went out of my way to get her attention when she acted like I was bothering her. She wanted to come with me to see if I could fool people that I was my brother, but our sons kept my trouble maker at home.

 

“Hey stud,” Some guy says, walking by and feeling me up.

 

“Hey?” I look at him confused, as he writes his number down on a napkin and stuffs it in my back pocket.

 

“I’ll show you a good time, since your back,” He whispers.

 

“I wanted to see if the redhead was here,” I tell him.

 

“Deb. Why? The last I heard you weren’t welcome in that circle,” A tall, I think woman, in a waitress uniform, tells me. “Wait, who are you?” She asks, apparently realizing I’m not Brian.

 

“Is she here?” I ask.

 

“I’m right behind you, ASSHOLE. Really, I wonder if you showing up where you're not welcome could have the police arresting you!” Deb the nut, screeches in my ear.

 

“Deb…” The waitress tries to warn her.

 

“I didn’t know walking into a public place was something my father could arrest me for. Although, with you showing up at my father’s house, saying shit about my brother, I’m sure my dad could find some reason to arrest you. Meeting you made me see why my brother got the fuck out of this town. But let me warn you now, if he wants to come back here, he will, with the full force of his family to take on your bunch of assholes. Nice meeting everyone; well not you, but hey, I promise not to judge the rest of you the way Deb seems to judge my brother, and hang him for caring about his son,” I tell her and everyone watching us, praying she’ll take the bait as I walk towards the door.

 

“I was the woman who took him in and took care of him when he had no one!” She yells so everyone can hear.

 

“I bet that made you feel special, letting a kid go back to the same home over and over again while you waited for the next broken arm or black eye he showed up with. I think I’d rather get the shit kicked out of me than deal with your form of caring. I guess none of you think she could have done more, if you think this is a mother figure to look at,” I tell all of them, hoping Brian will understand, I protect my family.

 

“Ma, you okay?” I assume this must be Michael.

 

“No. I think your mother is figuring out not everyone will fall for her bullshit. Are you Michael?” I ask.

 

“Yeah,” He says, backing away.

 

“I’m CJ, Brian’s very protective brother. Do me a favor and tell your little girlfriends, Brian isn’t alone, if they want to start something with him,” I tell him, whistling as I walk out.

 

“Brian?” Some short brunette sneered, stopping.

 

“CJ. But hey, he’s my baby brother, is that a problem for you?” I ask, glaring as she and a blonde rush past me, straight to the other two.