- Text Size +

CARL

 

I took time off because I didn’t want to have to do anything but get to know my son. I didn’t talk to Joan, because right now I felt she had left me out of Brian’s life. It wasn’t easy to get over the fact that I missed all of Brian’s life. I didn’t even know what my son looked like. I also needed to tell my other children that they had a brother they never met. My son Carl Jr was on his way home after living overseas for years, and was bringing my grandchildren home for the first time. Vicki and her husband just found out they were having their first child. I managed to keep my idiotic thoughts about her husband Edward to myself, and save myself from losing my daughter and future grandchild. I want my children to be close, and know that for me it didn’t matter who they married or how my grandchildren came to be.

 

I wanted to handle one thing first, because Vic might not have stood up for Brian, but as his father, I will. I wanted to meet the women who hurt my grandson. It was the only thing in all of Deb’s bitching and moaning that proved useful. When she told me about the girls and how they were being denied the right to be mothers to their son. At first I shrugged it off, because I had no idea how this affected me as much as Brian.

 

I had a visitor at my office a few days after Vic and I talked, in the form of Alex Wilder. He was willing to tell me what the girls did, but played with anything about the effect it had on Brian. He managed, using examples, to explain the complicated person Brian was, to me. He also asked me to remember the cases we saw of spouses who protected the life they had with the abuser and how we couldn’t convince them to give us what we needed to end the fucked up lives they lived.

 

“When a person has never had real examples of love in their lives, they tend to shy away from anyone who offers it to them. In certain cases they want the physical closeness, but don’t want more from anyone. So you see things like continuous one night stands, drinking, taking drugs, and being the life of the party. A lot of it comes from wanting to be surrounded by people who can never touch the part the person keeps hidden. They don’t talk about anything that will have anyone feeling sorry for them. They become workaholics because it keeps them from ever worrying about the things their childhood lacked because of parents who didn’t provide their basic needs. The closer someone tries to get, the less likely the person will want them around to see the things they were conditioned through abuse to hide. Only, the minute they see someone experiencing any pain they felt at one time, the person I’m describing would do anything to stop it. It wouldn’t matter if his past was worse, he would do what he could to make other person’s life better. Which in some cases, causes him to become a victim to people who use it.” He tells me.

 

“Or a child of his own.” I tell him.

 

“Ah, but in my example that changed the person's willingness to put up with the abusers in the person's life, because they abused the one person he loves. A love he couldn’t avoid. The person no longer can allow people in his life who did the one thing he never wanted for his child. Then the abusers find out who the person really is,” He tells me.

 

“What did they find out?” I ask.

 

“He wasn’t a victim when it came to people he loved. He became the savior, father, and friend to people that weren't out to get what they wanted from him,” He tells me.

 

“Can we put aside your analysis of my son?” I ask.

 

“It's an example, but what else did you want to know?” He asks.

 

“What happened to my grandson?” I ask him.

 

“Lindsay happened and Melanie happened. Lindsay was the girl who rebelled, and Melanie was the one enjoying her rebellion. Only Melanie didn’t like the idea that her wife likes men, as well as women. One man bothered her the most, because Lindsay wouldn’t leave him out of their lives. Don't think it had anything to do with loving the man, but knowing he would give her all the things mommy and daddy wouldn't, because of Lindsay’s biggest rebellion. Marrying a woman who was everything they considered beneath their family.” He tells me.

 

“Sounds more like they didn't like that it was a woman and not a man.” I tell him.

 

“I think if it was someone from their social set it might have produced different results, but it's just a guess on my part. There were only two problems if she had wanted her dream; Brian's gay, and will never not be, and in her parents eyes, he’s not any better than Melanie. Brian's money couldn’t overcome his background for her parents. So Melanie was the better choice because she would give in to Lindsay’s ways. Lindsay’s having Brian's child proved it, Melanie fought it, but gave in when Lindsay gave her an ultimatum, Brian would be the father or she'd find a woman other than Mel to be with. Which very few people knew Lindsay did to get her way.” He tells me.

 

“How did you find out?” I ask.

 

“Melanie's former best friend told me. Now, to what you want to know. Brian made his first mistake with Lindsay the day Gus was born, he told her if she needed anything for Gus, he'd do it. Unfortunately for him, she was smart enough to brush it off as if giving her and Melanie Gus was all they wanted. She stored it away so they could use it later, and Melanie found a way to get back at Brian for his interference in her marriage to Lindsay. It started with wanting him to sign away his rights; but didn't end there, because Lindsay found a game she enjoyed when Melanie and Brian met, playing one off the other. Melanie wasn’t innocent either, because in her mind she was beating a man, one who lived a life she envied. Melanie became Michael in her marriage, living in the shadow of the great Brian Kinney. Someone both she and Michael scorned. They wanted to be the person everyone wanted, but we're left to stand in the shadow of Brian. Melanie, because she could never give Lindsay the house, cars, or vacations Daddy gave Mommy. It was something Brian could do without worrying about how to pay the bills. So when Lindsay started asking for money, Melanie felt it was her right for putting up with raising Brian's son. They forgot one thing. Raising Gus meant they couldn't party until they passed out for half the day when they had a baby in the house. They tried to convince Brian to pay for a nanny, but in all of Lindsay’s planning, she told Brian she didn’t want a stranger raising Gus. When asked, Brian wouldn’t give them a way to have a nanny. At first they didn’t have to worry, because babies stay where you put them. They made sure Gus wasn’t starved or dirty until he could walk and reach things. Then it was as if they left him to his own devices. Only making it so Brian never saw it when he was allowed to visit. It's something Brian has a hard time with, because it's something he experienced in his childhood home; make everything presentable when people come to visit. When Gus struggled to get to Brian when he had to leave, the girls made it sound like it was because Brian spoiled his son. What it really was, was that Brian gave Gus what he lacked with the women who were supposed to be loving mothers- attention. Lindsay needed Gus to keep the money flowing for the things she and Melanie spent extravagantly on. Here's where Brian’s mistake came in, he balked at signing over his rights, so Melanie produces a million dollar life insurance policy that she's the overseer of, and Brian pays for to get to stay Gus’s father. Then they open an account that Brian contributes to for his son, one that Melanie controls. With Brian’s childhood, he didn’t think twice about contributing to make sure Gus never had to worry that he would have what he needed. Only, the girls found a way for Brian to pay for things they couldn't get him to agree to. Do you know that Brian didn’t fight over the massive loss of money, but only for his son. Yet the whole case was made that he was selfish and too unstable to be a good father. Brian won because he didn't lie about his life before Gus, but also showed he had everything it took to be a great father to his son. When Gus was taken to a foster home, only Brian showed up every chance they gave him. The girls, once or twice a week, leaving when Gus spent each visit crying to get away from the women who continued to tell him his father would disappear if he said anything to Brian. Brian constantly visiting showed his son the truth.” He tells me.

 

“What happened to the girls after, because they never landed here for neglect?” I ask.

 

“Lindsay’s parents didn’t want the bad press, so they made the girls sign their rights over to Brian, instead of having supervised visitation. The judge only gave them what little he could get away with, but Lindsay’s mother didn't want it to get out that her daughter neglected a child. I think mommy forked over enough to get Lindsay to agree, and give Melanie what she wanted, Brian and Gus out of their lives. They still had to go to parenting classes, but really those are a joke to me, when they weren't going to be mothers to Gus.” He tells me.

 

“In essence they got a get out of jail free card.” I tell him.

 

“Sure, but not an unlimited well of money from Mommy. Which means they needed a new way to keep up the lifestyle they want. It's why I suggested the move to Brian, it keeps the girls from being able just show up when they want something.” He tells me.

 

“New York isn't the other side of the world.” I tell him.

 

“Brian always dreamed of going there, he needed to have something for him for once.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t know how to approach him, but the girls are another matter.” I tell him.

 

“What do you mean?” He asks.

 

“Where there are parties every night, there are things that we officers don't overlook. I think my officers should make sure the neighbors don't have to listen to loud parties all hours of the night, if they happen to find anything that requires a few nights in a cell, that's what you get for upsetting the neighborhood.” I tell him.

 

“Brian has more than he knows from you.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t like anyone hurting my child, either. I fight with the truth, and will never regret what I do.” I tell him.

 

All it took was one Saturday to have them in my jail. I let my officers handle everything. I just watched as Melanie tried to call it anything that made it about the police hating her for being a gay woman with a law degree. The detective in charge explained hating that she and Lindsay let Anita, a well known dealer, deal in their living room, while getting high on the party favors. She really couldn't argue her way out of the coke she was snorting when the police showed up, or the test she couldn’t refuse. It was my way of making sure Brian could fight with the law on his side if these two came near him about Gus again. Not that I would tell him, just make sure he has the information if these two bother him.

 

BRIAN

 

The doorbell rang. I can’t get Justin to just come in with the key we gave him. It’s like he thinks it’s wrong to bring my daughter to her home here. I bought a crib and things that the house needed so Justin didn’t have to bring three bags when Lily came over. Emmett kept needling me about taking Justin out on a date, since I seem to think no one could date him. He’s my daughter’s father and… fuck, I don’t like the idea of him seeing other men. I also know he’s not really interested in dating anybody, because I, in a roundabout way, asked if he wanted a night out while I watched Lily for him. He told me right now Lily was the way he wanted to spend his nights. I was perfectly happy with that answer.

 

“Brian, there’s someone here to see you.” Shelly tells me, looking worried.

 

“Who?” I ask, because if it’s any of the Pittsburgh contingent, there was only one answer, 911.

 

“He says he’s Carl Horvath.” She tells me.

 

“I am Carl Horvath, my driver’s licenses and badge say it.” He tells us, from the doorway.

 

“Hi Dad, came to see your baby boy?” I ask, as if it didn’t matter to me that he came.

 

“Only if my son wants to see me. If not, I want to leave you with your brother and sister’s numbers. They would both like to meet the brother they never met because we didn’t know about you.” He tells me.

 

“What, no loving reunion?” I sneered, as Justin walked right in for the first time.

 

“Brian. No.” He tells me, handing me Lily.

 

“Jussin!” Gus yells, running to him, but stopping when he see’s my father.

 

Gus hid behind Justin’s legs, looking around them to see Carl. He was curious since we didn’t have many visitors here. Justin picked him up and ignored me.

 

“Gus, this is your grandfather. Someone who your dad wanted to meet.” He tells Gus and me.

 

“It’s okay if Brian doesn’t want to talk to me, but thank you for letting me meet my grandson.” Carl smiles at Gus.

 

Gus hid his head in Justin’s shoulder. “He’s old.” He whispers to Justin.

 

“He has to be, because he’s your grandfather.” Justin whispers back, tickling him.

 

“I guess you should meet your granddaughter too.” I tell Carl, appeasing Justin.

 

“Thank you.” Justin tells me, kissing his daughter and smiling up at me.

 

“Only because you want it for Lily.” I tell him, kissing him.

 

“How about we let you get to know your son and grandchildren.” Justin says, confused at what I did.

 

“Maybe you should tell him why.” Carl tells me, when he walked out of my office.

 

“We really just met.” I tell him.

 

“Oh?” He asks, looking at Lily still in my arms.

 

“It’s a long story, if you have the time.” I tell him.

 

“I have whatever time you’ll give me.” Carl tells me.

 

“Have a seat. Sooner or later Emmett will show up with drinks, then Ted will have a document I need to sign. So we really only have a half hour before they invade. Then maybe you can convince my mother you don’t hate her for keeping me a secret.” I tell him. “She’s coming in the morning in case you don’t want to forgive her and need to leave.” I warn him.

 

“Then we talk and I figure out a way to forgive her, for not loving me enough to stay with me.” He tells me.