- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

There are many unexplained phenomena that happen in the world every day. Some very miraculous things that seem impossible to explain given the laws of nature and physics are quite common. History records such events and scientists either try to disprove them or explain them away as primitive mistakes due to lack of technological knowledge. As any story that’s been passed down from generation to generation, facts get blurred and exaggerated until the end result seems like nothing more than a fantastical tale made up to frighten children into behaving.

 


One example of this would be the tales of witches’ familiars. Historically, the familiar is linked to the black cat, which was supposed to help a witch cast spells. Naturally, they were seen as evil or demonic just as their supposed masters were labeled. While this makes a wonderful tale to tell, it couldn’t be farther from the truth. The reality just seems more fantastical than the fictitious tales passed down through the ages.

 

 

****


Joan Kinney watched her eighteen-year-old son stand tall and proud before the Counsel of Elders.  It was extremely important that Brian makes a good impression especially since his father, Jack Kinney, was Grand Master and leader of their people.



“Tell us, Prince Brian, what has your vision quest taught you?” Darius, second in command and Viceroy, asked.



Brian Kinney straightened his back and took a cleansing breath. “We are living in a time that no longer believes or relies on magic. The very race that we’ve been charged with protecting no longer turns to us but places their fates in technology and science. The rare few who possess the gene are ridiculed and ostracized if they use their gifts, but charlatans with good marketing skills are revered.”



All four members of the counsel nodded their heads in agreement. Once again Darius asked a question. “What is your mission?”



“Since I was a child sitting on my father’s knee, listening to the stories of our people, I harbored a great resentment for the ones we must protect. I felt it was unfair for my people to fight and die in the defense of a race that no longer acknowledges nor accepts us. As you all know, I’ve voiced my objections to our continued protection for a number of years. However, I was wrong when I said we should abandon our responsibilities and live freely among them.”



“Well I am happy to hear that you’ve come to your senses son,” Jack stated with pride.

 


Brian dipped his head and took another deep breath. “Father, I was wrong because my intentions were marred by the centuries of continued disregard we’ve been subjected to endure. I allowed my resentment to cloud my judgment. I still believe that we should live among them, but as a means of connecting more with them instead of forgetting our purpose.”



Jack sighed loudly and shook his head. “Brian I thought you’d come to your senses and seen the error of your beliefs.”



Brian walked closer to the table. “They no longer believe in magic or in us. They turn to science and technology to solve their problems and answer their questions. So, instead of sitting here on our hands and jumping in only when things get so bad we have to intervene, why not learn their science and technology? Why not learn how they live by living that way ourselves? If we don’t make the move to reconnect with them soon, all could be lost.”



Ela, chief historian, leaned forward and asked, “Exactly what do you have in mind, Prince Brian?”

 


“Well, it’s very simple for us to forge the necessary paperwork we’d need to integrate into their society. I’m suggesting that I attend university as one of them. It would be a trial run to see how things go and I could ascertain all the possible problems we might face. Then slowly we could settle among them.”



Cian shook her head. “It’s too risky.”



Brian turned and looked at the guardian of the Book of Shadows. “No, it’s too risky to stay here and do nothing. The Myrians did it a century ago and yet here we sit behind the veil only venturing forth when we’re called upon to protect and serve. When was the last time we were called?  We’ve had to resort to spying and meddling in order to perform our duties. I say we have to give this a try at least.”

****

 

Twelve years later…

 


Eighteen-year-old Justin Taylor smiled brightly up at his best friend and dance partner as they spun around the floor. “Thanks for being my date, Mark. I’ll cut out early so you can enjoy your prom.”

 


Mark looked hurt. “Are you trying to get rid of me, Taylor?  ‘Cause I don’t ditch my dates halfway through the night.”  He wiggled his eyebrows. “Besides, I might get lucky.  Do you put out on the first date?”



Justin let his head fall back and laughed loudly.  “Doesn’t matter whether I put out or not.  Did you forget you’re straight?”

 


Mark shook his head and winked. “Nah. I didn’t forget.  I was just keeping my options open.”


“Lucky for you, I know you’re joking or you might be getting more than you bargained for tonight.” Justin wrinkled his nose and squinted his eyes.

 

“Man you better watch it. Your face might freeze like that and then where’d you be? I doubt there’s much call for blonds with ugly ass faces in the gay community.”

 

The song ended and Justin stepped back. “I’m gonna go. Thanks again, Mark.”

 


“Hey!  I already said I didn’t ditch my dates. Let’s go get some pizza.”



Justin grinned and nodded as Mark took his hand and led him off the dance floor, past all the shocked faces of their fellow seniors.


****


Brian felt the tingle as he walked out of his office. He was beginning to believe he’d never be paired. He’d been living among humans for the last twelve years and never once felt the sign that signaled his familiar bond had been activated.  He closed his eyes and let his mind fly. He spotted the blond boy with his mind’s eye and was instantly transported to the parking garage. He materialized in the shadows just as the bat connected with the boy’s head with a sickening thud. He had a life to protect so he couldn’t be seen. He waved his hand picking up the assailant and slinging him into the concrete wall. He transformed into a large silver and gray cat then ran to the blond.

 


The blood pooling around the kid’s head scared him. Was he going to be too late to save his master? He gathered all the positive energy from the surroundings and projected them into the kid while mentally reciting the ancient spell to preserve life. He stepped onto the boy’s chest and curled his feline body into a tight ball directly over the kid’s heart. He reached out with his mind again and found that help was on the way. He continued to mentally chant as he projected as much of his life-force into his master’s fragile body as he possibly could and remain lucid.



Brian cloaked himself and slipped unnoticed into the ambulance as the paramedics loaded his boy inside. He’d exhausted a vast amount of energy keeping the boy alive until medical help could arrive, but he’d been able to maintain his feline form without using any of his reserves, as this form was second nature to any Familiar. As long as he stayed close to his master, he’d be able to keep him alive until his body had time to heal. It wasn’t that he mistrusted human medicine, he just preferred Familiar magic.



Brian spent three long weeks conducting his business from a hospital bathroom by day and keeping watch over the boy at night. He’d learned a lot about his master by eavesdropping on the doctors, nurses, and visitors. He hadn’t tried to solidify the mental link that should be natural between them since the night of the prom. When he’d reached out and encountered only still darkness, it had almost incapacitated him. He’d been reluctant to try again. He’d been using his power constantly for the last three weeks to remain cloaked, and he wasn’t sure if he’d be strong enough to pull back from the abyss.



Instead, he’d kept his advertising company, Kinnetik, running smoothly by working through his assistant, Cynthia, leaving him free to concentrate on boosting Justin’s healing powers. This was so much different from what he’d thought it would be. He knew that his life would be linked with his new master’s life, but he wasn’t prepared for all the emotional aspects that presented themselves. The biggest thing was the fact that he loved curling up on Justin’s chest every night, listening to his breathing and the steady cadence of his heart.

 


That hit Brian pretty hard considering he’d never slept with anyone in all of his thirty years. He’d taken what he needed and that was that. After all, he couldn’t risk anyone finding out about him, so he’d learned to wall himself off. His parents had been so worried about him because he’d never shown any interest in finding a mate. All the other Familiars his age had been mated long ago, but not him. When the Counsel of Elders had shot down his plan to integrate their entire race with the humans, he’d rebelled against their wishes and made a life for himself outside the veil. He still kept in touch and attended all the important meetings, always trying to prove that his way was better, but the punishment for his so-called betrayal was exclusion from Selection.

 


So, when selection had come and gone year after year and the Counsel had passed him over, he started to think he’d never be allowed to act as anyone’s Familiar. He hadn’t even bothered going to the selection ceremony this year because it was too hard to be the only one not allowed to participate. Now, his master was lying in a hospital bed probably brain dead, and it was entirely his fault. He should have attended the ceremony and demanded that he be allowed to participate. Instead, his master had suffered only reaching out to him blindly at the last possible second.



Brian gave himself a mental shake and gazed upon his master’s face with his feline eyes. Maybe he should be thankful to the Counsel for not pairing him off sooner. If they had, he wouldn’t have been available when this amazing young man reached out for help. He stretched out and butted his head under Justin’s chin and purred loudly. He knew his master could understand everything he said whether he was a human or a cat. His heart almost stopped beating when he felt fingers sliding through the fur on his back. He thought he’d been discovered, but he purred louder when he realized it was Justin’s fingers. Immediately he reached out with his mind and connected. It was weak and faint, but it was enough for him to forge the bond.

 



Brian had been amazed by the responses he’d had toward this boy before, but nothing compared to what slammed into him when they bonded. His animal side felt such a surge of love and loyalty; he knew he’d die willingly for his young master. However, his human side felt the exact same surge which wasn’t supposed to happen. He felt his feline body shivering with each caressing touch of those fingers. The happiness and joy he was experiencing were unlike anything he’d ever felt. He was happy no one could see him at the moment. His tail was swishing to the rhythm of those stroking fingers, his heart was racing in tune with his loud purrs, and his mind was soaring high in the clouds.  He couldn’t believe he’d become such a pussy…literally and figuratively. He’d always thought himself above this part of the bond, and he wasn’t exactly happy to find out that he wasn’t. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how it was perceived, he wasn’t above his Familiar nature at all. In a very uncharacteristic behavior, his mind reached out to his master’s with a very firm message…Mine!

To be continued.
elyxer is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked A Familiar Touch also liked 707 other stories.