- Text Size +

 

Fractalized

Chapter 13





For the rest of the “Seasons” week, Justin stayed in Pittsburgh at the loft. Brian commuted back and forth for each mini opening bringing with him, his clothing suggestions for Justin and in general, spreading his good cheer. NOT! Brian was miserable without Justin but instead of making everyone around him miserable, Brian decided to suck it up, no pun intended, be the supportive spouse and not complain, much.

“Sunshine, before your next extravaganza, can we hide away for a few days, just the two of us?” Brian asked as he stood at the bathroom sink, shaving.

“Don’t you mean the three of us?” Justin asked as he prepared their shower.

“No, I’m going to be very selfish and ask John and Bobby to take care of the Squirt when this is all over. Then I’m going to chain you to the bed and fuck you senseless for three days.”

“Very lofty ideas,” Justin quipped as he held open the shower door for Brian.

“Goes well with our lofty bed,” Brian added as he pushed Justin under the warm spray, kissed him silly then thoroughly fucked him.

Very relaxed and sated men left the bathroom to get ready for the last night of the “Seasons” gala opening.



*****



“Ladies and gentlemen, the Sidney Bloom gallery is proud to present, Justin Taylor’s “Seasons!” Sidney announced loudly and proudly to the invited critics and guests. The house lights slowly grew brighter, as all four sections of the revolving display began to rotate, revealing all four Seasons. A wild applause threatened to shake the rafters as Justin’s latest artistic endeavors were favorably received.

As critics, reporters, photographers and well wishers again flocked to Justin’s side in competition for Justin’s attentions, Brian, Emmett and Gus were having a private tête-à-tête.

“Is everything ready?” Brian asked, scanning the long buffet table that was covered from stem to stern with all manner of delicacy. Fall flowers expertly graced the center display which mainly consisted of the wide flat panel monitor.

“It’s all ready, Pop!” Gus answered for them both. “You just give the word and I’ll run the program.”

“I’d give it about an hour before the crowd moseys on over here,” Emmett added. Brian deferred to the experienced event planner. If Emmett said an hour then an hour it would be.

“Sidney give you any grief?” Brian queried his son.

“Nope. Mom mumbled something about earning money to buy myself the car of my dreams and Sidney was cool. It wasn’t really a lie, either. Emmett is paying me.” Brian turned his hard gaze at Emmett.

“Look, this is a major event for all of us. Gus is a big strong kid, even if he is a little on the skinny side.” Emmett paused to poignantly eye the forever svelte Kinney men. “He needs the money and I needed the help. These hands are made for creating delicate morsels, not toting that barge or lifting that bale,” Emmett said dramatically as he waved his hands in the air.

A matching set of eyebrows arched, eliciting giggles from their tall queenly friend.

“Come on, you two, let’s go watch our little Mary Sunshine glow,” Emmett counseled as the Kinney men walked toward the main gallery to watch the night unfold.



*****



Most of the Liberty Avenue family had reappeared for the closing night of Justin’s Seasons unveiling. They were all impressed, as it seemed were all the other attendees, critics and art connoisseurs alike. Several of the paintings already had “sold” stickers on them.

Justin had been corralled by the art critic of the Pittsburgh Dispatch.

“Our readers always want to know what your next project is,” the fawning and definitely annoying man asked Justin.

“I have a couple of ideas in the works,” Justin said being decidedly non-committal. He wasn’t going to tell this guy anything.

“Anything you’d care to share with your fans?”

“No, not at the moment.” Couldn’t this guy get the message that Justin didn’t want to talk about his new work, especially since he didn’t know what he was going to do with his Fractal piece.

The critic frowned and showed his displeasure with Justin’s answer. He drew in a breath and asked, “So, Mr. Taylor, what was the inspiration for this show?”

“Um … the Seasons,” Justin said with a shrug. How was one supposed to answer such an inane question?

“Yes, of course, but there must have been other inspiration involved,” the man probed.

“We have beautiful gardens around our home,” Justin said honestly. “And lots of snow last winter, and my husband and daughter, of course.”

“Yes, they appear in several of your paintings. Your husband is a very handsome man,” the guy observed with a creepy grin.

“Yes he is.”

“Have you been together for long?”

“Very,” Justin said.

“Sounds like there might be trouble in paradise,” the critic joked. At least the man seemed to think it was a joke by his weird giggle.

“Not at all,” Justin said hastily. He wished this guy would go away and leave him alone. The man was weirding him out.

“Would you mind if I spoke to that handsome husband of yours?”

Justin stared at the man. He was obviously gay … and obnoxious to boot. “I’m not sure he’ll talk to you, but you could try.”

“He’ll talk to me,” the critic said confidently. “I have my ways.”

“I just bet you do,” Justin muttered as the man headed for Brian. Justin felt slightly bad about siccing the obnoxious man on his husband … but only very slightly. Justin was glad to see the hind end of the annoying man and his stupid questions.

“Mr. Kinney, isn’t it?” the obsequious critic said to Brian, interrupting Brian’s conversation with Sidney. Brian had been telling Sidney that he was looking forward to having Justin back at home with no more required appearances, at least for a while.

“Yes, and you are…?” Brian asked arching his brow.

“Seymour Finkelstein, art critic for the Pittsburgh Dispatch,” the man replied holding out a limp wristed arm for Brian to shake.

Brian wanted to “dispatch’ the man immediately, but he thought he better be nice to the art critic for Justin’s sake. He shook the cold, clammy hand that had been extended. “What can I do for you, Mr. Finkelstein?”

“I’m sure there’s many things you could do for me,” Seymour said doing some of his best flirting. “But please, call me Seymour. It’s much easier to pronounce.” Brian nodded and waited for the man to get to the point. He was sure he was being propositioned, but he refused to even let that thought cross his mind. “Mr. Taylor tells me that you were an inspiration for his Seasons collection.” Brian nodded again. “I can certainly see how you could inspire.”

Brian frowned. This guy was beyond annoying. Brian wondered if Justin had sent the old queen over to him to get rid of him. “Is there a point to all of this?” Brian asked.

“I was wondering how it felt to be someone’s muse?” Seymour asked.

Brian winced. “I’m no one’s muse,” Brian spat out. That word reminded him of one person that he did not care to think about ever again. “I prefer to think of myself as Mr. Taylor’s husband.”

“Of course, for as long as it lasts,” Seymour said with a laugh.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Brian felt his temper rise. He wondered what Justin had said to this man.

“Oh, nothing just an observation,” Seymour said quickly. Obviously there was something going on in this relationship that neither man wanted to talk about if he knew the signs, and Seymour was sure he did.

“I think I’ve said enough,” Brian replied and turned to walk away.

Seymour thought he just might have stumbled upon a nice piece of gossip to include in his review of Justin Taylor’s show.



*****



“What did you say to that asshole?” Brian asked coming up behind Justin.

“As little as I could,” Justin replied, knowing immediately who Brian was talking about. “He’s an annoying piece of shit.”

“You got that right,” Brian agreed. “I need a drink and a shower after talking to him.”

“I’ll get you the drink, but the shower will have to wait.”

“Or we could run away to the loft, and I could fuck you in said shower,” Brian suggested.

“You just did,” Justin giggled.

“And what’s wrong with a repeat performance.”

“Nothing, nothing at all,” Justin said touching Brian’s cheek. “Let’s get that drink.”



*****



“I think Bree and Patrick are getting bored,” John said watching the children. “They already did this a week ago.”

“I know, but Brian wants them here for something that’s going to happen … soon,” Bobby said looking at his watch.

“I wish he’d fill us in on his plans ahead of time,” John griped.

“Me too, but you know your brother, ever the ad man. He likes to make a big splash with his surprises.”

“Yeah, if they come off the way he wants them too. Seems to me that I’ve had to rescue him a time or two.”

“That you have. HeĀ’s lucky you’ve been there,” Bobby said bumping John’s shoulder affectionately.

“Yes he is, and I’m lucky to have him too.”



*****



“Great show, Justin,” Michael said walking up to Brian and Justin who each had a drink in hand.

“Thanks, Michael, I’m really pleased with the response.”

“And almost all the family is here.”

“Yeah, who needs art lovers when you have the family?” Justin teased.

“You have lots of fans too,” Ben added.

“Thanks, Ben, but I’ll be glad when all this hoopla is over and we can get back to normal.”

“I bet Brian will be happy too,” Michael observed with a look at his best friend. “Maybe then he won’t be so grouchy.”

“I’m not grouchy,” Brian declared.

“You? No, never,” Michael laughed.

“Don’t you have some other people to annoy?” Brian asked good-humoredly.

“No, just you,” Michael chuckled.



*****



“Justin, your pieces are wonderful,” Molly said as she kissed her brother’s cheek.

“Thanks. It’s good to see you and Owen.”

“I know. We’ve been so busy lately. We should do lunch or dinner or something.”

“Yeah, Molly’s a going concern,” Owen said.

“Is all well with you two?”

“Just great,” Molly said. “Where’s Brian?”

“He’s around here somewhere.”

“You look a bit tired, Justin. Have you been working too hard?”

“Brian would say so,” Justin admitted. “I have had a lot to do this last while, and I don’t much like being on public display like this.”

“You handle it very well,” Owen told his brother-in-law.

“Thanks, but it’s all a façade.”

“Glitter and shine,” Molly laughed.



*****



Emmett began to give Brian the eye and sure enough, an hour had passed. The gallery visitors began their slow meandering over to the buffet table to answer the siren song of Emmett’s canapes.

“Sonny Boy, go start up the program and remember no sound for now. If there’s enough interest you can start it from the beginning with the music,” Brian said with a wink to his co-conspirator.

“Okay, Pop!” Gus whispered back with a wink of his own. Gus nonchalantly made his way to the buffet table.

“What’s he doing?” Lindsay asked, as she spied father and son in the huddle. Brian jumped slightly, caught unaware of her approach.

“Oh nothing,” Brian said trying to look innocent and failing miserably.

“Brian Kinney, what are you and Gus up to?” Lindsay asked sternly. Not only was this show very important to Sidney and Justin but to Lindsay as well. It was her suggestion to use the revolving display easels and to space out the Seasons. And after the Cole debacle, Lindsay was a little overprotective of her son. She did not want him involved in anything sneaky. Which seemed to be happening at the moment.

“Lindz, I promise you, nothing bad is going to happen,” Brian reassured the mother of his son then he gently pushed her in the opposite direction toward the slimy critic. “I hope,” he muttered to himself when Lindsay was out of earshot.

“Hi Mr. Kinney!” Troi` and Tre` said as they sashayed up to Brian.

“Well, if it isn’t the Bopsey twins,” Brian gently snarked making the twins giggle. “And just in time, we’re about to unleash our little surprise. Why don’t you go to the buffet table and help yourselves to some of Emmett’s creations? When your project has garnered enough curiosity, we’ll announce it.”

Twin smiling faces shone up at Brian then twin heads nodded. Brian admired the twin shapely asses that swished their way over to the table.

“Regretting our commitment?” Justin asked casually as he sidled up to his spouse, admiring the same view. In a flowing movement, Brian raised his arm to accommodate Justin then held him close.

“Never. But what is that old expression I’ve heard many hets use? I may be married but I’m not dead. I can admire from afar, Sunshine.”

“Just from afar?” Justin asked pensively. “You could, you know, if you really wanted to. I would never know.”

“But I would and it’s not worth it. Your twins are delicious looking morsels like Emmett’s creations. Pleasing to look at, very appetizing, but too much of a good thing can be hazardous to one’s health. I have everything I ever wanted right here. I need no other canapés.”

Justin beamed his sunniest smile at his spouse.

“But a guy can dream, can’t he?” Brian was quick to add, getting an elbow to his ribs and the sound of Justin’s laughter.

“I love you, Brian Kinney-Taylor.”

“And I love you, Justin Taylor-Kinney.” The lover’s kissed as Gus approached them.

“Eiw, Pop! Get a room,” Gus whined then laughed at his dad’s public display of affection.

“How’s it going over there, Sonny Boy?”

“We’re getting quite a crowd. The twins have been filling me in on the who’s who of the art world....”

Brian arched his brow. Gus gave him a confused look then waves of understanding hit him.

“Um, that would be a big ‘N-O,’ Pop. Those guys are into sharing if you know what I mean. They were just explaining which reporter or critic would be more interested in the Fractal movie than others. See that wimpy guy over there?” Gus indicated the annoying, slimy, supposed art reporter who was more interested in the gossip column than anything else.

“What about him?” Justin asked.

“Troi` said, or was it Tre`, I can’t tell them apart. Anyway, he wouldn’t know what a fractal was if it bit him on the ass. The only reason he’s the art reporter for the “Dispatch” is because he had taken art classes in college and the original reporter who was his uncle retired to Key West a few years ago.”

“Well that explains it,” Brian snarked.

“See that tall guy in the dark grey suit,” Gus subtly pointed.

“Mmm,” Brian purred as he regarded the distinguished gentleman.

“Straight as an arrow, Pop.”

“Arrows can be bent, Sonny Boy.” Gus and Justin rolled their eyes. “What about him?”

“He’s from the “Times.” I overheard him say that he thinks Justin’s stuff is refreshing. Didn’t matter to him the subject matter. He even likes your Rage stuff. He was talking to ‘slimy’ about it and it occurred to me that even though he’s straight, he gets it. It’s not about the sex; it’s about the human right to exist. And he’s starting to get curious about the images on the screen.”

“Bri, maybe it’s time,” Justin said with a slight tremble to his voice. His butterflies had come back with a vengeance. Brian leaned down to plant a kiss.

“Leave it to me, Sunshine. Gus, get ready to run the full program.”

“Just say when, Pop!”

Brian gave a sly smile then went to have a quiet word with Emmett.