- Text Size +

 

Fractalized

Chapter 2





“Dada,” Bree said as she munched on her toast at breakfast.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Why doesn’t Daddy want to eat with us anymore?” She had noted that her daddy was once again missing from the family equation.

“He did eat with us.”

“But only for a minute.”

Brian looked at his daughter. She was so fucking observant, and she was growing up so fast. “I explained to you that he is working on a new project. He has a lot of work to do.”

“I don’t like this new project.”

“Me either, Squirt, but he has to do what’s right for him.”

Bree wrinkled her little brow trying to decide what that meant. “I want my old Daddy back,” she declared.

“I wouldn’t mind him coming back real soon either. Go get your backpack for school, Bree. We have to leave in a couple of minutes.”

“’Kay, Dada.”



*****



“Shit!” Justin griped as he looked over at the phone which had just started ringing. He was in the middle of another fractal and didn’t want to be interrupted. He knew the house was empty. The kids were in school and Brian had gone into Pittsburgh. He decided to let the answering machine pick it up. He waited and heard his mother’s voice come on the line. He decided he better answer. He hadn’t talked to her in ages. He reached for the portable phone that was sitting on the table next to the chaise. “Hi, Mom,” he said into the receiver.

“Hi, honey. I was just composing my message to leave for you.”

“I was working.”

“You seem to be very busy lately.”

“I am.”

“Then I won’t keep you. I just wanted to fill you in on a couple of things.”

“Shoot.”

Jennifer chuckled. “No beating around the bush these days. First, Seth and I will be at your opening.”

“Good.”

“And second, I’d like to have lunch with you one of these days.”

“Lunch? I’m really busy.”

“I understand that, but I thought you might spare a couple of hours for your only mother.”

“Great, a guilt trip.”

“Just a little one,” Jennifer admitted.

Justin had to laugh at that. “Okay,” he said. “How about tomorrow?”

“That works for me.”

“I’m going to the gallery to talk to Sidney and Lindsay about the last minute details for the opening. Meet you at one at the little café down the street from the gallery. You know the one. We’ve been there before.”

“Sure.”

“Mom, there’s nothing wrong is there?”

“No sweetheart, just some things I want to talk to you about … in person.”

“Okay,” Justin agreed. “See you tomorrow.”

“Bye, Justin. I’m looking forward to it.”

Justin cut the connection and set the phone down. His nose was immediately glued to his computer screen.



*****



Brian shuffled papers on his desk at Kinnetik. He didn’t really have anything he needed to do there. The company was under the conscientious and capable eye of Cynthia. He had just had to get out of the cottage for the day. Justin was trying to be more attentive to his husband, but Brian knew that Justin’s mind was really on this new art project he was working on. Even when they were making love or fucking their brains out, Brian could feel that he didn’t have Justin’s one hundred percent attention. It was driving him fucking crazy.

“Want to sit in on the Eyeconics presentation?” Cynthia asked from the doorway.

“Do you need me?”

“However I answer that is going to piss you off,” Cynthia chuckled.

Brian glared at her, but there wasn’t any real malice in it. “I … I just needed to take a break from home,” he said lamely.

“I understand,” Cynthia replied, although she wasn’t really sure what was going on between Brian and Justin. Something was upsetting her boss, of that she was sure.

“I think I’ll go for a walk while you do your presentation. I know you don’t need any help with it.”

Cynthia smiled at him. “Why don’t you take a walk over to what used to be Wertshafter’s, and see what Ted’s doing with his new business?” she suggested.

“Is that why I haven’t had Theodore to yell at and boss around?”

“He’s not here.”

“I got that,” Brian said his tongue in cheek. “Maybe I’ll do that.”

“Good idea,” Cynthia said, as she left the office and went to make sure that everything was ready for the Eyeconics people.



*****



Brian strolled along the street toward the old Wertshafter’s offices. He was happy for Ted, well, maybe not happy. Ambivalent might be a better word. He wanted Ted to be successful, but he had a nagging fear that if that happened, Ted might leave Kinnetik. Over the years, Brian realized, he had come to depend on Ted for so many things. The thought of trying to replace Ted Schmidt at Kinnetik was daunting and made him shudder.

When Brian arrived at the old Wertshafter’s offices, he looked at the new sign: Schmidt’s Personal Accountants. He had to smile. Ted would be so happy to finally have his name on the place. It was the final “Fuck you!” to his old boss.

“Theodore,” Brian said as he entered the main foyer and saw Ted talking to a rather handsome young man behind the reception desk.

“Bri, what are you doing here?” Ted asked raising his head at the sound of his name.

“Came to check out your new digs.”

“I’ll be happy to give you the fifty cent tour,” Ted said with a big smile.

“I can hardly wait.” Brian was assessing the young man at the desk. His gaydar was pinging like mad. “And who do we have here?”

“This is my new receptionist, Todd. Todd, this is Brian Kinney, my oldest and dearest friend.”

“Hi,” Todd said with a big smile.

“Watch the old cracks, Schmidt!” Brian said with his patented glare.

“Sure, Bri, sorry, Bri,” Ted muttered.

“Why does that name Todd sound so familiar?” Brian mused.

“I have no idea,” Ted said quickly. “Todd, if Mr. Kinney ever comes to this office, you are to let me know immediately.”

Brian couldn’t help but smirk as Todd quickly said, “Certainly, Mr. Schmidt.”

“Ready for your tour, Brian?” Ted asked.

Brian nodded and followed Ted out of the reception area. He noted the wood paneling and wood moldings and wood doors. “Do you think there’s enough fucking wood around this fucking place?” Brian asked caustically.

“Probably not for you,” Ted couldn’t help replying.

Brian snorted and then chuckled. “Good one, Schmidt.”

Ted dipped his head in recognition of Brian’s approval. “This is my office,” Ted said leading Brian into a large office space, complete with wooden filing cabinets and a huge wood desk and more wood paneling.

“More fucking wood,” Brian griped.

“I know it may not be your preference, but people looking for accountants see wood as traditional and conservative. That’s what they want in an accountant.”

“If you say so, Theodore. I’m sure you know much more about that than I do.”

“This was my old cubicle when I worked for Wertshafter,” Ted said, moving out of the main office to show Brian one of the small offices that would be used for his employees.

“Are you keeping any of the old staff?” Brian asked.

“I’ve interviewed them all. There’s only a couple remaining from when I worked here. I’m keeping one person. I don’t think the others measure up.”

“I’m sure they don’t measure up, or young Wertshafter wouldn’t have had to sell the business.”

“Exactly.”

“So, I hope you make a success of this new venture, Theodore. But not too big a success. I … I still need you at Kinnetik,” Brian admitted.

Ted smiled. “I plan to have a select clientele, Bri. Not too many.”

Brian smiled slightly. “I like the sound of that. And by the way, Theodore, get the fucking wood paneling cleaned. Brighten up this dismal hole.”

“Sure, Bri, I’ll do just that.”

On that cheery note Brian Kinney left the building.



*****



“Dr. Angles, Mr. Sanchez, what a nice surprise. Please come into my office,” Melanie said cordially.

“Please, it’s Raphael and Hector, and we apologize for coming in without an appointment but we were at the vet clinic and it just hit us. Why are we waiting?” Raphael started to babble. Hector was smiling meekly.

“Waiting for what?” Melanie asked as she showed the partners into her comfortable office and offered them a beverage.

“Ever since Curtis came into our lives, he’s made us into a real family. I mean, Hector and I were a family before, but now we’re more of a family and, I, oh crap...”

“What my tongue-tied, sweet man of a partner is trying to say and not very eloquently,” Hector teased as he reached for Raph’s hand, “is we’d like to officially adopt Curtis as soon as possible. We don’t want to wait any longer. We love him so much. He’s enhanced our lives so much.”

“Ms. Marcus, we know how much you helped Curtis during his troubles, and you said you would look into the logistics of us applying to adopt him. Can we do it … soon?” Raph asked hopefully.

“Of course, I’ll see what I can do to expedite things,” Melanie said cheerfully, reassuring the two men. “Now, I have some preliminary questions to ask and then I’ll give you a list of what I’ll need from you. I have to warn you, in light of people like the Hardigans and of what they inflicted on those children, your petition for adoption may hit some road blocks. However, Judge Schultz was instrumental in awarding Curtis to Hunter, and the clinic and is one of our staunchest supporters. I’m hoping she’ll hear the case and we shouldn’t have any trouble.”

Hector and Raph each took a deep breath to steady themselves for the task at hand.



*****



“Mr. Taylor? Mr. Kinney?” a disembodied voice echoed in the cottage. The phone had rung until the answering machine picked up. Justin, as he had been for several weeks now, was at his computer creating fractals.

“Mr. Taylor, if we can’t reach any adult on your contact list we must contact the local police to....”

“Hello! Hello!” Justin cried as he picked up the phone.

“Mr. Taylor? This is Melissa at the school. We’ve been holding Briana and Patrick in the office for an hour. Is there a problem?”

“Oh shh, um, crap. I’m so sorry. I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

“Fine, Mr. Taylor, but in the future, please call the office to let us know if you’re going to be late. The children were frightened.”

“I, I’ll be right there.” Justin hung up the phone, grabbed for his keys then went as fast as he could for his car and to the school.

“Daddy!” Bree screeched when she saw her father entering the office.

“Baby girl!” Justin cried as he hugged the petite blonde.

“Hi, Uncle Justin,” Patrick said as Justin drew the red headed boy to him.

“I’m so sorry, I was w...”

“Working,” Bree and Patrick said in unison. Justin blushed.

“Let’s go. Thank you, Melissa. I promise this won’t happen again.”

Justin herded the children out into the Cherokee. When they were safely buckled in, he made a suggestion. “I’m really sorry that I worried you both, and you were so good that I think you guys deserve a reward. Let’s go get ice cream.”

“Yay!” the kids shouted and all was forgiven, for now.

Later that night, when the children were in bed, and the guys were relaxing in the sun porch, Justin made a confession.

“Guys, something happened today,” Justin began, looking very contrite. He had everyone’s attention. “I was so caught up in my work this afternoon that I forgot to pick up the kids from school. They called and I went right over.”

“That’s not so bad,” John said.

“I’ve been late a few minutes myself,” Bobby volunteered.

“How long?” Brian asked with a glare.

“What?” Justin asked blinking at Brian.

“How long were you late?”

“About an hour,” Justin confessed, blushing red then looking down at the floor.

Brian resisted growling and roaring with anger, instead he went for a run with Beau.

“Come on, dog,” Brian said in a low voice. He and Beau went out through the garden toward the lane.

“Shit, I’m in the doghouse,” Justin mumbled.

“Jus, it’s really not that bad,” Bobby reiterated. “But in the future, let one of us know … or Rachel. You know she’d get the kids for us.”

“I know. I’m sorry. It’s just this idea I have for my new project, it’s so different from what I’ve done before. I just don’t want to stop working. But that reminds me; I’ll call Rachel and ask if she’ll get the kids tomorrow. My mom called, we have a date tomorrow and Sidney wants me.”

“Justin, why don’t you draw a bath,” John suggested.

“A bath? I need a bath?” Justin subtly lifted his arm to catch a whiff of his armpit. John and Bobby chuckled.

“No, you dork! A nice relaxing bath for Rage, who’s currently doing a circuit up and down the lane with a big dog. You know, candles, wine, scented bath oil. A. BATH!” John said pointedly.

“Oooh, a bath.”

“And he sees the light,” Bobby said with a giggle. “I’ll call my sister. You go prepare the cure for the savage beast.”

“I’ll go out and wait for him, just in case he’s still a little cranky.” John got up and went out to wait for his pissed off brother. He didn’t have long to wait.

“He send you out here?” Brian asked. He was panting hard, bent over with his hands on the front of his thighs.

“Nope. My idea. He’s inside preparing you a bath.”

“I prefer showers,” Brian growled.

“Maybe, but tonight you’re having a bath,” John growled back.

All the growling made Beau nervous and he did some growling and barking of his own.

“Okay, boy, I get the hint,” Brian said and John laughed. “Don’t laugh, I was talking to you,” Brian snarked then sprinted to the door.

John stood frozen to the spot then laughed out loud. “Asshole!” John shouted after Brian and Beau barked. “You tell him, Beau.” John scratched the big dog’s ears then went inside.



*****



“Is your homework finished?” Raph asked as he stood at Curtis’ bedroom door.

“Just about,” Curtis replied. “I’ve got one more algebra question.”

“Is it giving you trouble?”

“Kinda,” Curtis admitted.

Raph walked inside the room and looked over Curtis’ shoulder as he sat at his desk. “Factors,” he said with a smile.

“Factors?” Curtis repeated. He looked at the equation and then it struck him. With three quick lines he had the problem solved. “Thanks.”

“You would have gotten it soon enough.”

“You saved me a chunk of time.” Curtis smiled up at Raph.

“I’m glad, because Hector and I would like to talk to you.”

“About what?” Curtis asked, the familiar knot of fear once again gripping his stomach.

“It’s nothing bad,” Raph said. “Come into the living room and we’ll explain.”

“Okay,” Curtis said uncertainly. He pushed his chair back from his desk and stood up. He followed Raph out to the living room where Hector was waiting for them.

When they were all seated, Raph began, “You know we’re starting proceedings to adopt you?”

Curtis nodded, the knot of fear growing even larger. “You … you haven’t changed your minds, have you?”

“God no!” Hector reacted. “We went to talk to Melanie Marcus today … to get things started.”

“Oh!” Curtis said in surprise. “So it’s really going to happen?”

“We certainly hope so,” Raph assured him. “Melanie seems to think it looks good, especially if we have Judge Schultz presiding.”

“She was nice,” Curtis agreed.

“We just wanted to warn you that if things proceed as we hope, you may have to go to court soon,” Raph explained.

“Are you up to that?” Hector asked.

“I’ve been in court a lot,” Curtis said bitterly. “I can do it.”

“However,” Raph interjected. “This time they will be asking you about how you feel living with two gay men. Will you be able to answer that appropriately?”

“What do you mean … appropriately?”

“I mean that you had some strong reservations when you came to live with us. Are you okay with us now? Will you be able to tell the court how you feel?”

“Um … sure … I love y…it here,” Curtis said hoping they didn’t notice the change in direction that his sentence had taken.

Raph smiled gently. “Then I guess we’re good to go. Very soon you’ll be our official son.”

Curtis grinned from ear to ear. Then the smile faded.

“What’s wrong, Curtis?” Hector asked, worry clear in his voice.

Curtis shook his head. “It’s about my name,” he said in a whisper.

“Your name?”

“What will my last name be?” Curtis asked afraid to look at the two men.

“Well, I hadn’t thought about that,” Raph replied. “I guess you could take Angles or Sanchez or we could hyphenate them. What would you like?”

Curtis drew in a deep breath and shoved his fear down into the pit of his stomach. “I’d like my name to stay Samuels, if you wouldn’t mind.” He ventured a quick look at the two men and saw the unhappiness and hurt written on their faces.

“If that’s what you want…” Raph said slowly.

“It’s not ‘cause I don’t want your names,” Curtis blurted out. “I want to be your son, but I don’t want to forget my grandfather and my mother. My name is all I have left from them.”

Raph and Hector looked at each other. “I think that would be fine for you to keep the Samuels name,” Hector said. A tear escaped the corner of his eye.

“You mean it?” Curtis asked looking up, his face full of hope. “You’re not mad?”

“We’re not mad,” Raph said gently. “Come here, my son.” He pulled Curtis into a warm hug which soon became a group hug.

“I love you,” Curtis whispered into Raph’s chest. He felt both men rub his back in support. He couldn’t remember when he’d ever felt better in his whole life.