- Text Size +

 

Fractalized

Chapter 4





“Morning, Mr. Taylor!”

“Hi, Troi`, it is Troi`, right?”

“Yup, I’m Troi`,” the handsome dark-haired twink proudly announced. Just then Troi`’s duplicate walked into the computer room.

“Morning, Mr. Taylor!”

“Good morning, Tre`! And guys, you have to cut out the mister crap, okay? Mr. Taylor is my father and I really don’t like being reminded of him.”

“Okay, Justin,” the twin beauties sing-songed.

Troi` and Tre` Donahue, twin brothers, both gifted in music, art, and computer wizardry. And both very gay. They jumped at the chance to work with their artistic idol. Troi` loved computer art as a child, his brother Tre` would delight in setting Troi`’s work to music. They did almost everything together. And now they were given the opportunity of working together with Justin Taylor.

“Is the program finished?” Justin asked.

“Yup!” they both answered enthusiastically. The brothers devised a computer program that would turn Justin’s paintings into a fractal representation. Tre` would then compose a computer generated musical piece to accompany the transformation.

“Can I see an example?” Justin asked as he handed Tre` a thumb drive with a few pictures of still life subjects and the painting it inspired.

Tre` made short work of uploading the pictures and then they all leaned in to watch. First it was a photograph of a simple black-eyed susan. Then the painting Justin did of the flower. With a few key strokes, the flower slowly morphed into the painting and then again into its fractal counterpart. It then slowly transformed back.

“Of course, it’ll really kick ass when I add the music,” Tre` boasted and his brother agreed.

“Just do me one favor, guys.”

“Anything, Justin,” the twins said as one.

“No violin music,” Justin requested as the three got back to work.



*****



Dinner that night at Edna’s Treasures was a pleasant if somewhat somber affair, conspicuously minus one blond boy artist. Brian and Bree had dinner at the Anderson-Morrison side, dining on a succulent pork roast, new potatoes and steamed vegetables. Bree kept hoping her daddy would show up to join them. After dinner Brian helped Bobby with the kitchen chores, as John helped the kids do a final check of their homework assignments.

“Where’s your partner tonight?” Bobby asked his brother-in-law only to receive a death glare for his troubles. Bobby snickered. “It sucks to be you right now, doesn’t it,” he teased.

Brian grunted.

“Brian, you knew he was spending the day in Pittsburgh. Rachel picked up the children after school and he called to tell you that he was on his way home. He’s being very responsible about this. Acknowledge that when he gets home, which should be any minute.”

Brian sighed.

“Martyrdom does not become you,” Bobby quipped. They were finished storing the leftovers and had made a plate up for Justin when Bobby made a suggestion. “After Justin has dinner and spends a little quality time with Bree, why don’t you run him a bath.”

“A bath?”

“Yes, a bath. I’m sure he’d appreciate it. He was probably hunched over a computer all day long. A nice warm relaxing bath would do him a world of good.”

“And what do I get out of it?”

“A very grateful Sunshine.”

“Who will probably fall asleep the minute his head hits the pillow.”

“So what if he does? He’s doing it in your bed, in your arms, right where he belongs.” Bobby’s grey blue eyes pierced Brian down to his soul.

Brian contemplated Bobby’s words for a moment then gave him a chaste kiss, ruffling the fiery red hair. “You’re a very wise man, Bobby Morrison,” Brian drawled.

“I know. Now, go show Justin how much you love and support him. Bree can stay with Patrick tonight, so if Justin does fall asleep right away, you can have some quality time together in the morning. What’s important, Brian, is that he comes home to you, just like you’ve come home to him.”

Brian nodded then brought Justin’s dinner to their end of the cottage.

“Where’s he going?” John asked entering the kitchen as Brian left. John wrapped his long strong arms around the smaller man.

“Home, to be there when his partner gets home. And to show Justin just how much he’s loved and cherished.”

“Cherished?” John said with a smile.

“Yes, John, cherished because we know Brian loves and cherishes his Sunshine more than anything else in this world except for his kids.” Bobby snuggled into John’s embrace.

“Just like I love and cherish you?” John murmured into the red hair then kissed his lover senseless.

“Yes,” Bobby whispered into John’s mouth as he returned the kiss.



*****



“Dada, is Auntie Rachel picking us up again today?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t you like Auntie Rachel picking you up?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“I hardly ever see you and Daddy no more.”

“Anymore,” Brian corrected. “And that’s not true,” he protested, but not very strongly. It seemed like they hardly ever had family time together anymore, just the three of them.

“Can I sleep at Auntie Rachel’s tonight?”

“Yeah, that would be fun,” Patrick said as he finished his breakfast. His dads had already headed off to work.

“Why? Why would you want to do that?” Brian asked bewildered. Usually Bree wanted to be at their hip all the time.

“I won’t see Daddy, and you aren’t … happy no more,” Bree replied, searching for how to explain what she meant. “I’ll have fun with Michelle and Cindy.”

“What do you mean I’m not happy?”

“You look mad all the time, Uncle Brian,” Patrick piped up.

Brian tried not to glare at the boy. He was just making an observation of what he saw. “Are Michelle and Cindy both going to be home?”

“I think so,” Bree said with a little pout.

Brian looked at her. Was this the beginning? Was this how it was going to be from now on? Justin off doing his own thing. Bree out with friends. Nobody at home, just him … all alone.

“Dada,” Bree said, bringing Brian out of his lonely, desolate thoughts. “School?”

“Oh, yeah, let’s go,” he said. Justin was already on his way to Pittsburgh. Brian had decided to go to Part Deux today, and spread good cheer over there for the day. “Patrick, get your book bag,” Brian said. He was really in a miserable mood now. Part Deux watch out. He herded the children out the door.



*****



“Brian, how are you?” Scott said, as he hurried out to greet Brian. His secretary had just given him the heads up that Brian Kinney was in the building.

“Lousy. You?”

“Um … quite well, thanks. Everything is fine here. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to speak to me about?”

“I didn’t particularly want to speak to you at all,” Brian said sarcastically.

“Sorry,” Scott said with a frown. “What can I do for you?”

“Have you got an empty office I can use? Preferably one with a door that locks from the inside.”

“Take mine. I have some work to do in the art department.”

“Good,” Brian said dismissing Scott. “Oh, and if Albert Harmon is around, send him in to see me.”

“Yes, sir,” Scott acquiesced and disappeared down the hall.

Brian moved into Scott’s office and shut the door behind him. He wondered what the fuck he was doing there. Making everyone’s life miserable. That had been his goal when he set out for Part Deux, but it didn’t seem to be making him feel any better, as he had hoped it might.

A tap on the door brought him out of his thoughts. “Enter!” he ordered imperially.

“Did you wish to see me, Mr. Kinney?” Albert Harmon asked timidly.

“Not particularly, but I do have a bone to pick with you.”

“A … a bone?”

“Yes, I understand Ted Schmidt has offered you a job at his new firm, and you’re hemming and hawing about it.”

“Well, I don’t know…” Albert began.

“Take the job,” Brian ordered.

“Are … are you firing me?” Albert asked with trepidation.

Brian could tell the man was hurt by Brian’s harsh words, but he didn’t really care. Brian studied the man for a moment and then drew in a breath. He softened his tone. “You’ve done a good job for us here at Part Deux, but Ted tells me that he wants you at his company. He says he needs someone reliable and trustworthy and whose heart beats fast at the sight of a balance sheet. For some reason he seems to think that’s you.”

Albert ventured a small smile. “Is that what he thinks?” he asked.

Brian nodded. “So why didn’t you snap up the job?”

“I … I like working here. I’m not sure I want to go into Pittsburgh. It’s a long drive.”

“I drive it all the time.”

“But my family’s here.”

“You’re never more than a phone call away,” Brian told him.

Albert studied Brian Kinney. He couldn’t figure out why Mr. Kinney was trying to get rid of him. He decided he had to be blunt. “Mr. Kinney, I appreciate everything you’ve done for me over the last while. My family was in a shambles, to say nothing of my finances. This job saved my life.” Brian nodded and kept quiet. “I do like it here. I’ve worked hard for you and the company. It’s safe and secure here. Your companies are very successful.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Safe and secure,” he repeated. “Ted Schmidt used to regale us with how safe and secure his job at Wertshafter’s was, until the day he got fired.”

“Fired? But, who would fire Ted Schmidt? That’s crazy.”

“Mr. Wertshafter didn’t think it was crazy. Any time you work for someone else, the possibility of being fired is there. We’ve all been there at one time or another.” Albert raised his eyes and looked into Brian’s. “Didn’t you think just a few minutes ago that I was firing to you?”

Albert’s eyes widened. “Yes, I did. I hoped that wasn’t so, but I did think you might fire me.”

“If you own your own business or are a partner in a business that won’t happen. Ted offered you a share in the company, didn’t he?”

“Yes, he did, over time. But it’s a new company, and Wertshafter’s was going under when Ted bought it. It could still fail,” Albert explained.

“Anything can fail. There are no guarantees, Albert. This company could fail too, heaven forbid!”

“That’s what I mean. I want to be safe. I don’t want to be in the position I was in when I first met you. I wasn’t sure how I could take care of my family,” Albert said sadly as he remembered that terrible period and the all consuming fear he had felt.

“If you own a company, it’s your own hard work that determines the outcome. I know you work hard here. I’ve been told. But I think this is an opportunity that you need to take advantage of. Take a leaf out of your son’s book. He became an entrepreneur to help the family. This kind of opportunity comes along very rarely.”

“So you think I should take it?” Albert asked.

“I think you know what I’m telling you. It’s ultimately your decision, but you may never get a chance like this again.”

Albert looked thoughtful. “Thank you, Mr. Kinney,” he said.

“I told you to call me Brian. Now get out of my office, and make the right decision for fuck sake,” Brian ordered.

“Thank you, Brian. I will certainly think very carefully about what to do.” Albert left the office.

“Fucking accountants,” Brian muttered. They were all so careful, so hesitant to take a chance. But he supposed that was part of being an accountant. Clients wanted that conservative point of view. That was part of why he liked having Ted around. Brian might have the big ideas, but it was Ted who told him if they could be done, and then he helped figure out the logistics of making them happen.

Suddenly Brian felt a lot better. He pulled out his cell phone and hit number one on the speed dial.

“Hey,” the familiar voice said.

“Am I interrupting?”

“Yes, but you know I always want to talk to you,” Justin purred.

“You know just the right thing to say.”

“I pride myself on that.”

“What time do you think you’ll be done today?”

“We’re aiming for six, but probably seven.”

“What would you say to a quite dinner at Pappagano’s and a night at the loft?” Brian asked.

“I’d say that sounds heavenly.”

Brian smiled into the phone. “Good.”

“What put you in such a good mood?”

“I’m at Part Deux terrorizing the inhabitants.”

Justin laughed. “I should have known that would get your juices running. Any bloodshed?”

“No, none at all … surprisingly.”

Justin frowned at the strange timber in Brian’s voice. “Brian is everything all right?”

“Weirdly, yes, it is.”

“You sound funny.”

“I feel funny. Things are all off kilter … starting with you.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“You know what I think about sorry.”

“It doesn’t mean that I still can’t feel sorry. I hate being away from you.”

“Then meet me at Pappagano’s and we’ll have a night to remember.”

“I like the sound of that,” Justin said with a smile in his voice. “But what about Bree?”

“She told me this morning that she wanted to sleep over at Rachel’s,” Brian admitted.

“She did?” That surprised Justin. “Why?”

“It’s a long story,” Brian sighed.

“You can tell me over dinner.”

“So, you’ll meet me?”

“Yes.”

“And you won’t forget?”

“Brian…”

“Okay, okay. Just meet me.”

“I said I would.”

“Later,” Brian said.

“Later.”

Brian snapped his phone shut and drew in a breath. He did feel better in spite of the shitty day it had started out to be. He looked at his watch. It was two in the afternoon. He would go home and grab a bite of something. Then he could pamper himself and get himself ready for Justin, before heading into Pittsburgh.

Brian closed his briefcase and stood up. His work here was done. He walked out of the office.

“Everything all right, Brian?” Scott asked as he hurried over to see if Brian needed anything.

“Peachy,” Brian said heading towards the front door of Part Deux.

“Are you leaving?”

“Yes, I’ve spread enough good cheer for one day,” Brian said.

“You certainly have,” Scott chuckled and shook his head. “Where are you off to now?”

“I have a hot date,” Brian said proudly.

“Does Justin know?” Scott laughed.

“I certainly hope so.”

Brian pushed open the door of Part Deux and walked outside. He drew in a deep breath of the early fall air. He was in a much better frame of mind than when he had entered the place. Maybe he could make that last at least until tomorrow. He headed for his car.