- Text Size +


Part Six



Brian went completely overboard for Danny’s first birthday.  Instead a quiet little cake-and-presents celebration, Brian had rented out the back room of a restaurant and invited everyone they knew, including the kids from both Danny and Gus’ daycares.  Then he had hired an entertainer who told stories, played games and did magic tricks.  The whole thing was done in a zoo theme and each of the children got a plush animal mask to take home with them.  Gus made sure that he got the lion, because he said that and Danny could both be lions now.



Isn’t this a little over the top? Justin asked Lindsey.  Have you seen how many presents Brian bought?



Lindsey laughed.  “You should see him at Gus’ birthdays.  He always spends way too much.  Melanie hates it, but I know it’s just because he didn’t have that kind of stuff when he was a kid.”



“Just wait until Christmas,” Debbie said with a snort.  “Brian always claims to hate the holiday, but he always picks out the perfect gift for each person and doesn’t give a damn what dollar limit we set that year.  He’s even worse with Gus and he’ll be just as bad with Danny.  Neither of those boys will ever want for anything.”



Justin nodded and Debbie wandered away.  He had noticed that little things kept showing up at the apartment for Danny since Justin gave Brian a key.  First it was just toys.  Then the stroller was replaced. That was followed by the car seat and then the highchair.  Then there were the clothes.  As Danny outgrew or ruined something, it was always replaced by something new in the right size and definitely more expensive than Justin would have ever thought to buy.  He’d been on a tight budget his entire life; even with the extra money he had since the internship, he still had to be frugal.



Brian hadn’t limited his purchases to things for Danny, either.  He snuck clothes into Justin’s closet on a regular basis and bought Justin a cell phone with unlimited texting so that they could keep in touch.  Of course Brian refused to ever acknowledge any of it.  Justin couldn’t be sure if it was because he was afraid Justin would refuse the gifts or because he truly didn’t want to admit to being that generous.



The truth was, Justin didn’t think he could ever turn down something for Danny.  He wanted his boy to have every advantage, and it didn’t really matter if it came from him or Brian or from someplace else entirely.  As for the gifts for him, Justin chose to think of it as Brian’s way of expressing his emotions.



I don’t really mind, but I don’t want him to think that he has to do that for Danny to love him, Justin told Lindsey.  Danny would love him even if he was a pauper.  He just loves that Brian spends time with him and plays with him and picks him up and comforts him when he falls.  Justin noticed the look on Lindsey’s face as she watched Brian, Danny and Gus all wresting together.  I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to imply anything about his relationship with Gus.



No, you didn’t say anything to offend me, Lindsey signed. The first time you came over you said something about Brian not wanting to overstep boundaries that Melanie and I put up and I think we both scoffed at the time, but… It’s always been obvious how much Brian loves Gus, but I realize now that we’ve limited the ways we let him express that love.  And that’s not fair to Brian and it certainly isn’t fair to Gus.  I think Mel and I need to talk about some things.



Justin nodded.  He hoped that they loosened up and let Brian have a more active role in Gus’ life.  One Saturday a month and inviting himself over for an evening or two a week at their house wasn’t much of relationship.  Justin couldn’t imagine only seeing Danny on those terms.



BJBJBJBJBJ



Why can’t we go back to your loft? Justin asked for the third time, hoping that Brian might finally answer him.



Brian smirked at Justin and signed, Because I’m still having work done. We can go there next week.



Justin huffed followed Brian out to the Jeep.  This was the third weekend in a row that Brian had told him that they couldn’t stay at the loft.  One of his favorite parts of their weekends together was staying at the loft.  It had a great kitchen and Brian always had tons of food that his housekeeper kept stocked.  Justin had discovered that he loved to cook, but the only time he got to do so was at Brian’s.  Brian also had the best bathroom ever created.  His bed was luxurious, with sheets so soft that Justin never wanted to get out of bed.  Brian also had a television and Justin was getting hooked on watching old movies on it on lazy Sunday afternoons.



They had left Babylon at 2 and so it was about half an hour later when they finally made it back to Justin’s apartment.  When they arrived, however, there were police cars everywhere with their lights flashing.  Brian parked and they went to one of the officers who were standing outside Justin’s building.



“Excuse me, officer,” Brian said.  “Can I ask what’s going on?”



“Double homicide,” the cop said.  “Looks like a drug deal gone bad. If you are trying to get in here, it will be a few hours before you can access the other apartments.”



“Thanks,” Brian said with a frown and pulled Justin away with him.  Did you catch what he said?  Justin nodded.  You and Danny are not living here anymore. We’re moving you out tomorrow.



Where? Justin asked.  It takes time to find a place.  That’s why we haven’t moved yet.



Brian didn’t answer.  He was too busy stewing over the fact that Justin and Danny could have been there with all that madness. They could have been caught in the crossfire and he would have lost them.  There was no way in hell they were staying there another night.



Where are we going?



The loft.



I thought you were having work done?



Brian didn’t answer, he just started the jeep and started to drive.  By the time they reached the loft, Brian had calmed a bit, but he was still adamant that Justin and Danny weren’t spending another night at that apartment.



Brian opened the door to the loft and Justin looked around to see what sort of work was being done.  He’d thought maybe Brian was having the floors refinished or the walls painted.  At first he didn’t see any change, then he noticed a wide arched doorway on the far side of the kitchen.



What is this?



Brian gestured fro Justin to check it out.  Justin did.  The archway led to a room Justin had never known was there.  It had lots of windows, some overlooking the alley and some looking out at the parking area behind the building.  Overhead he could see that part of the work that was being done was the addition of two skylights in the room—they still had tarps over the open spaces.  To the left, there were two doors behind the kitchen area.  The closest to the interior brick wall was a new bathroom that was not quite finished.  It had a bath/shower combination, a single sink and a toilet. Everything was installed, but the tiles weren’t yet laid.



The next door was to a bedroom.  It had furniture already, though everything was covered in plastic. The walls were in the process of being painted with a very cute mural.  Each wall had a different scene—woods, a lake, a farm and a city—and they had all the things a little boy might find fascinating.  A frog sat on a lily pad in the lake, a deer peeked around a tree in the woods, cars and trains in the city, and a tractor and cow on the farm.  There was also a walk-in closet that ran the width of the bathroom. Under the plastic, Justin could see one of those really elaborate bunk-beds.  Justin peeked beneath the plastic and found that there were two dressers, a desk, shelves, a changing table and a crib.



Justin’s eyes filled with tears.  You did this for Danny?



 I thought he and Gus could share now that the munchers are gonna let him stay overnight sometimes, Brian signed.  And I thought you could use the other room for a studio. It has a lot of natural light. What do you think?


I think it’s the most wonderful thing anyone has ever done for me, Justin signed.  He went to Brian and pulled him into a deep kiss.



When they parted Brian signed, It was supposed to be a Christmas surprise.  I wanted everything finished before you saw it but there is no way I want either of you going back there.  Please say you’ll move in here.



Justin laughed through his happy tears.  Yes.  We will move in.  There’s no place I would rather be.  Even if we had to put Danny’s bed in the kitchen and my easel in an alcove, I would still say yes.



You like the loft that much? Brian asked with tongue in cheek.



I like you that much, Justin signed.  The loft is just a bonus.



BJBJBJBJBJ



Debbie was happy to keep Danny on Sunday while Brian roped all the other people they knew into helping them move Justin and Danny out of their apartment. So, with only a couple hours of sleep they were all getting their first look at the shithole Justin had called home for a year.



“Leave the furniture,” Brian told Ben and Hunter, who were loading the filled boxes onto the rental truck.  “None of that is coming.  I’ll call the Goodwill next week. Just pack their personal things.”



“I got more boxes,” Emmett announced to everyone before taking one of those boxes and heading to the bathroom.  Justin was busy packing up his art supplies.



Ted and Blake were in the bedroom packing Justin’s clothes when Brian came to check on them.  “Hey Brian, aren’t these your suits?  I’ve never seen Justin in a suit.”



Brian rolled his eyes.  “Yes, they are my suits.  Did you think I never stayed over here?”



“It’s just hard to imagine you slumming like that,” Ted said.



“Watch it Schmidt,” Brian said warningly.



It was Ted’s turn to roll his eyes. “I didn’t mean Justin.  I mean…these sheets?  No more than 300 thread count.  And the closet?  It’s miniscule.  That’s not to mention the bad plumbing.  This must have been really roughing it.  I can see why you’re moving Justin into the loft.”



“I’m not that big of a queen Theodore,” Brian said.  “I’ve even been camping once or twice! Blake, keep him working and out of the nightstands.  I’ll pack those later.”



“You’ve got it,” Blake laughed.



Brian smirked.  There was nothing in the nightstands but a few condoms, some lube and the puzzle books Justin liked to do at night—Justin had already packed anything more interesting before the others arrived—but not being allowed to look would drive Ted mad.  And when he did look, he wouldn’t be able to ask why he wasn’t allowed to see condoms.



When Brian emerged, it was to find Justin arguing with Emmett about the mostly empty bottles of shampoo that Emmett was trying to throw away.



“But sweetie, there’s not enough left to make it worth moving,” Emmett tried.



Brian shooed the queen away and held Justin in his arms for a minute while the blonde calmed down.  Then he stood back and signed, You don’t have to scrimp and save every penny anymore, Justin.  Emmett is right, those bottles aren’t worth moving.  Let him throw them out.  We have plenty of shampoo at the loft.



It’s not really about the shampoo, Justin signed and then sighed.  It’s just all happening so fast.  I mean, it’s only been eight hours since you asked me to move in.  I know there’s a reason to move now, but…this was my home.  As shitty as it is, it’s the only place Danny has ever lived, and it’s the first place that was truly mine and not my mother’s.



I know.  It’s fast for me too.  I haven’t lived with anyone since I left college. Now, not only am I getting a roommate, I’m getting a whole family invading. Brian smiled to soften his words. That doesn’t mean I don’t want you both there.  It just means that we’re both going to need time to adjust.  In the meantime, try not to scare away the help? Otherwise we’ll be stuck doing this ourselves.



I’ll try.  Justin smiled at Brian and then leaned up to kiss him.  I really want to live with you too.



“Enough kissy face,” Hunter told them as he and Ben returned. “We’re running out of filled boxes.”



Brian and Justin both rolled their eyes, but they went back to work.