- Text Size +


Part Seven



The end of semester art show was the week after Justin and Danny had moved into the loft, the week before Christmas, and they were still trying to get everything settled.  Danny loved his room, but refused to actually sleep there yet.  Brian had ordered furniture from Justin’s studio, but it hadn’t arrived yet, so his computer was sitting on the floor and his boxes of art supplies were scattered about half opened as Justin needed to get at one thing or another.  Justin and Brian were still negotiating closet and dresser space, and Justin had a feeling he’d have his own dresser before much longer, whether there was room in the bedroom for it or not.  And they hadn’t decorated for Christmas at all yet.



Now, it was an hour before Justin was supposed to be at the school’s gallery and he couldn’t find a single dress shirt that actually belonged to him, not to mention his one and only suit.  Brian was in the other room with Danny.  He’d been ready to go for a while now.  Then again, he hadn’t spent half an hour getting Danny clean and dressed.  Frustrated beyond reason, Justin waved his arms to get Brian’s attention.  When that didn’t work, he stamped his bare foot and clapped his hands.  Brian finally looked up.



What?  Why aren’t you dressed?  We’re going to be late if you don’t hurry.



Where the fuck are my clothes?   Justin was frustrated beyond all belief.



Such language, Brian smirked.  He set Danny to play with his ball on the floor—Brian had spent a small fortune on toys for the child and he still liked his ball the best—and went to calm his partner.  Did you look in the closet?



My clothes aren’t there, Justin insisted.



Brian smirked and opened the closet.  He pulled out a suit that Justin had never seen before and laid it on the bed.  It was midnight blue with a slight shimmer to the fabric.  It was obviously very expensive and obviously too small for Brian.  Then Brian pulled out a black shirt and a blue tie a half shade lighter than the suit.  There were new shoes and socks as well.



These look like they’re your size, Brian told him.



Justin closed his eyes trying to decide whether to be pissed or pleased.  He kissed Brian and then shoved him away.  I love them, but don’t pull shit like this when I’m already stressed, please?



Brian chuckled.  Yes sir.  He went down to roll the ball with Danny while they waited for Justin to dress.



BJBJBJBJBJ



Justin knew that Lindsey was going to stop by the show, but he had been surprised when Mel and Gus came with her.  And then Michael and Ben showed up.  Carl brought Debbie.  And finally Emmett, Ted and Blake came together.  He hadn’t been expecting everyone to come out for his little show.  It was just a school show, but the acted like it was a huge gallery opening.



And that made him feel really good, like he was part of their strange little family.



“These are absolutely amazing,” Lindsey gushed as she signed.  “Justin!  The colors, the technique, the mood, the play of light and shadow… I can’t tell you how much I love these.”



“And it doesn’t hurt that you made Brian’s cock looks so…” Ted trailed off as he stared at a very specific part of the painting.



“Move along Theodore,” Brian said.  He turned to Justin and signed.  Give Danny to Debbie; there’s a critic over there that wants to talk to you.  I told him I’d act as interpreter. Justin’s eyes went wide and Brian had to take Danny and hand him off.  He leaned down and kissed Justin. You are going to be fine.  Just answer his questions honestly.  And if you give an idiotic response, I’ll lie and say you signed something intelligent and witty.



His words had the desired effect and Justin laughed before taking Brian’s hand and following him over to where the art critic was waiting.



The man’s questions were actually very interesting and insightful and it was easy to fall into a comfortable discussion of not only his art, but his views on the nature of art.  Brian put in his own remarks occasionally but mostly he let Justin shine.  He didn’t need Brian’s help to be intelligent and witty.



That critic left and another came up to them. After that, there was a gallery representative.  By the time they were able to go back to their friends, Lindsey and Mel were on their way out with a very sleepy Gus, and Ben and Michael were leaving as well. Then Emmett Ted and Blake followed. They all offered their congratulations before they went and eventually, only Debbie and Carl were left.



“They’re really good pictures,” Carl said.  “Not sure I’d hang Brian’s picture over the sofa, but the picture of Danny and Gus is something really special.”



“I love that one,” Debbie said.  “And I love the picture of the Diner.”



Justin smiled at them.  He knew that they were responding as much to the familiarity of the subject as they were to the art, but he appreciated the support anyway. Thank you.



“Hey, I know that one!” Debbie said with excitement.  “You’re welcome, Sunshine.”  She kissed his cheek and handed a very sleepy Danny back over to his Daddy. “You did good, kiddo.”



Carl and Debbie left after that and the show was soon wrapping up.



Brian wrapped his arms around Justin and Danny and looked over the five pictures on display.  The picture of Danny and Gus was Brian’s favorite, but the one of him on the sofa held a very special place in his heart because it was how he and Justin had gotten together. Then there were the paintings of the Diner and Babylon.



The last painting, the one none of their friends had commented upon was of Justin and his mom; Brian knew the photograph that Justin had used as a model.  The little boy could just as easily have been Danny, but the blonde woman in the painting had a haunting beauty, as though it was destined that she would be taken from this world too soon.  That painting, even more than the one of the boys, evoked the strongest emotions.  It was a happy scene of a mother pushing her son on the swing and yet it was unbelievably sad at the same time.  The fact that it could so thoroughly occupy two disparate spaces at once was the genius of the piece. All of the pieces had layers of mood and emotion, but they weren’t as evocative as the mother and son.



We should pack up, Justin signed careful not to wake Danny with his movements.



“You are fucking amazing, you know that, right?” Brian said.  Justin smiled at Brian and leaned up for the kiss Brian offered him.



BJBJBJBJBJ



The reviews from the show were great.  Justin was featured prominently in both of the major newspapers.  In fact, the portrait of him and his mom took up half of the front page of the arts section in the bigger of the two papers.  They talked a little about each of the artists, but Justin got a paragraph for each of his paintings.  Brian said it was because his work was the best at the show.  Justin would argue but it appeared the art critics both agreed.



Christmas came faster than Justin expected.  Luckily, Brian seemed to be more on the ball than his lover.  When it became obvious that they weren’t going to get around to decorating, he hired a decorator to do it for them.  She left the tree for them to decorate on Christmas Eve, but it had been strung with lights and had little red bows tied all over.  When Brian and Justin got home from Kinnetik that evening, Justin carried Danny around the loft to see all the changes.



“Ta!” Danny said and pointed to the tasteful Santa figurine that had been placed on the coffee table.



Justin smiled and reminded Danny of the sign for Santa.  Soon Danny was making an imaginary beard with both hands and saying “Ta” over and over again.



It’s beautiful Brian, Justin told him.  I’ve never…



I never had Christmas like this either, Brian admitted.  But I think Danny and Gus deserve to have the things we never did.  Lindsey and Melanie are bringing Gus over on Christmas Eve and we’ll all decorate the tree together.  Then Christmas morning will be here and dinner at Debbie’s.



Sounds Perfect. And it did sound perfect to Justin.  But as long as he was with Brian and Danny he thought anything would be perfect.



BJBJBJBJBJ



Gus insisted on going home with Brian Justin after dinner at Debbie’s on Christmas. Once they were all home, Justin and Brian found out that getting Danny to sleep in his bedroom was simple: put Gus in there with him.  Danny toddled behind Gus as he made his way to the bedroom and climbed into the lower bunk.  The two boys giggled and Gus told Danny some convoluted story about Santa and a lost dreidel.  He used signs when he knew the word and Danny would show sign back at him.  Gus had insisted that Lindsey teach him how to talk with his hands and he now had a vocabulary that was about twice that of Danny’s



Justin and Brian stood in the doorway just watching them until Gus tucked them both in and motioned to the two dads that they were both ready for their goodnight kisses.  Justin was a little nervous about letting Danny sleep in the bed, but it did have safety rails on the one side and Gus was on his other side.  And if it got the baby to sleep in the new room, it was worth it.



Goodnight Daddy Justin, Gus signed.  Justin smiled and kissed the boy’s head.  That was the first time Gus had called him Daddy Justin.



Goodnight Gus.



Brian and Justin went back out to the main room and Brian answered the phone.  Justin watched his face for a minute to make sure that it wasn’t bad news and then went to sit in the living area to watch the lights blinking on the tree.  Brian came over with two glasses of bourbon a few minutes later and sat with him



That was Lindsey.  Mel went into labor.  Lindsey asked if we’ll keep Gus until New Years.  I told her we’d love to have him stay.



Pretty soon our boys will have a little sister, Justin signed.



Brian kissed Justin’s forehead and turned so that he was facing Justin instead of holding him.  I want to tell you something.  Justin looked a bit nervous so Brian leaned forward and kissed him again.  Nothing bad.  I just wanted to say thank you.



For what?



Brian smiled.  You remember that first night I posed for you? Justin nodded.  Do you remember what I said that night?



Every word. It was true.  Justin could remember everything that Brian had said that night.  His words had helped Justin form a lasting connection with the brunet.



“Figures,” Brian said wryly. That night I told you how shitty my family was and I told you how I wanted to be a better man than my father.  I didn’t know if I could claim that then, but I can now.  And that’s thanks to you.  I’m a better father, better lover and better man because of you.  You make me want to be a better person than even I thought I could be because you believe I can be that person without doubt or hesitation.



Brian…



Brian held Justin’s hands still before releasing them to sign, Justin, I love you. I have never felt about anyone the way I feel about you and I will never feel this way about another man.  You are my heart and soul. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.  I want to watch our boys grow up together and I want grow old with you.  I don’t believe in weddings and all that romantic hetero bullshit, but if that’s what you want to show that I’m committed to this, then we’ll have the biggest fucking wedding this town has ever seen.  Just say that you’ll be here by my side.



Justin had tears in his eyes as he replied, I don’t need flowers or a big wedding to know that you are committed to me, to us.  If I had any real doubt about your commitment, I never would have let Danny get so attached to you.  Brian, you give me strength to face this life on my terms. You showed me that deafness doesn’t have to be a sentence to a lifetime of isolation and loneliness.  You gave me the world. I love you Brian and there is no place I want to be more than by your side for the rest of our lives.



Words became unnecessary after that as they once again allowed their bodies to communicate in ways that language could never equal.  The silence that had plagued both men had finally been filled with friendship and family and love. Justin knew he would never be alone again and Brian knew that he was loved completely and unconditionally.



The End

Chapter End Notes:

 


Original A/N: I shamelessly stole this plot bunny from a story I read on another site (Actions Speak Louder by Draccone). Normally when I borrow a plot bunny, it is because I admire what I have read and the theft is a tribute of a sort. Not so much this time. The original was poorly executed, so I have decided to write my own version. I dumped most of the stuff I didn’t like and have replaced it with things I think work better. Really, the only things left from the original plot are the fact that Justin is deaf and he has a kid. (Oh! Did I just give too much away? ;)) So, even though this bunny has been stolen, it has now taken on a life separate from the original. Hopefully, you’ll think it is an improvement. Jules

The End.
Julesmonster is the author of 30 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 14 members. Members who liked Sound of Silence also liked 830 other stories.