- Text Size +

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 9





Jennifer and Seth walked into Emmett’s Place. It was afternoon and they wanted a popover and some coffee.

“Hi, hi, hi,” Emmett greeted them.

“Emmett,” Jennifer said in surprise.

“Afternoon, Emmett,” Seth added.

“I didn’t think you’d be here on a Saturday,” Jennifer observed.

“A rare day off from party planning. Sean and I are getting ready for a big shindig next weekend. I thought I’d help out here for the afternoon.”

“Well, it’s lovely to see you,” Jennifer said with a smile. “Could we get a couple of popovers and two coffees?”

“Coming right up, lovely lady. Have a seat at my table and I’ll sit with you for a minute.”

“That’s good, because there’s something I want to talk to you about.” Jennifer and Seth made their way to the raised table at the side of the bistro.

Emmett joined them quickly, carrying a tray with three mugs of coffee and a basket of popovers.

“Those look delicious as usual,” Seth said breaking a popover apart and taking a big bite.

“You’re one of our best customers,” Emmett chuckled. He helped himself to a popover too. “So, what did you want to talk to me about?”

“As you may be aware, Seth and I plan to tie the knot this spring.”

Emmett nodded. “About time, if you ask me.”

Seth laughed. “I’ve been hearing that a lot. I didn’t know I was so remiss about getting this beautiful woman to the altar.”

“It was my decision to have a long, and may I say, scrumptious engagement,” Jennifer said giving Seth’s hand a squeeze.

“It seems to have turned out to be the right decision if the glow on your faces means anything,” Emmett said with a gentle smile.

“Seth has made me very happy.”

“It’s written all over your face.”

Jennifer smiled lovingly at her fiancé. “We were wondering if it was too soon to start planning the wedding.”

“It’s never too soon to start planning,” Emmett said happily. “Have you thought about where you want this event and what you want it to be like?”

“Yes, I know what I want,” Jennifer smiled. “I want a small, intimate wedding. We have an idea where we’d like to have it and when, but we haven’t verified that yet.”

“I could do that for you,” Emmett volunteered. “I have an in with most of the good venues around town.”

“This venue isn’t in town,” Seth said.

“Oh, where is it?” Emmett asked with a frown.

“I’m going to ask Justin and Brian if I can marry Seth in the sun porch at the cottage,” Jennifer said. “Do you think they’ll go for that?”

“Oh, Sweetie, I think that’s a wonderful idea. I can just picture it. Brian’s spring flowers will all be in bloom. It will be like one of Justin’s paintings,” Emmett gushed.

“That’s what I thought,” Jennifer grinned happily.

“You don’t think it’s too presumptuous of us, do you?” Seth asked.

“I think they’ll be thrilled that you want to have the wedding at their home,” Emmett assured him.

“Emmett, is everything all right with those two?” Seth asked. “I’ve seen those bits of gossip in the papers.”

“I think that Finkie should be drawn and quartered and then hung on a pike in the middle of the town square,” Emmett stated fervently.

“We don’t have a town square anymore,” Seth laughed. “And I think it’s hard to hang someone on a pike when they’re in four pieces.”

“Point taken,” Emmett grinned evilly, “…then maybe a giant skewer.”

Seth laughed. “But I take it to mean that you think all is well at Edna’s Treasures.”

“Things are just fine,” Emmett said clearly.

“See, I knew it, Seth,” Jennifer responded adamantly.

“I know, darling,” Seth said patting her hand. “But it’s nice to hear it from someone so close to the situation.”

“Haven’t you talked to Justin about it?” Emmett asked in surprise.

“I haven’t had an opportunity,” Jennifer said. “He’s been so busy with his show and that Fractal movie. Now he’s working on a Rage cartoon. I didn’t want to bother him, and I knew none of that gossip could be true. I didn’t want him to think I was questioning his marriage either.”

“You just have to look at Brian and Justin together and you can see how much they love each other,” Emmett replied.

“I hope we can have that kind of relationship too,” Seth said looking into Jennifer’s eyes.

“I’d say you already have it,” Emmett smiled as he observed the two lovers.

“Hello, Emmett, Seth, Jennifer,” Raph greeted them as he, Hector and Curtis came into Emmett’s Place.

“Some of my other best customers,” Emmett grinned. He got up from the table. “Would you like to join Seth and Jennifer? I have to get back to work. What can I bring you?”

“I bet you tell all your customers that they’re your best one,” Hector laughed.

“Got that right,” Seth chuckled while Emmett blushed.

“Coffee and popovers and a Coke for our growing lad,” Raph said. “May we join you?”

“Slide on in,” Seth said. “How’s the new family doing?”

“Just great,” Hector replied.

“You enjoying having two dads, Curtis?” Jennifer asked.

“Um…” Curtis started.

“I’m sorry if I brought up a touchy subject,” Jennifer replied immediately. That wasn’t the response she had been expecting.

Hector and Raph looked at each other and waited. They had learned not to be hurt when Curtis answered like that. It meant he was giving thought to his answer. They had often jumped to the wrong conclusion when Curtis first came to their home. His hesitation was mistakenly taken to mean he was unhappy or didn’t like something. Now they knew it meant he was considering his answer. They smiled at Jennifer and gave her a silent wink to tell her to wait.

“It’s not that I don’t love my two dads. I do,” Curtis began. “And it’s not a touchy subject. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. But it’s hard for me to answer a question like that. I never really had a father before. And now I have two. It’s great, but I don’t know about the enjoyment part. They make me do my homework and clean my room and help with meals and dishes and cleaning the house. Yeah, I love every minute of it,” Curtis said with a happy twinkle in his eye. “What’s not to like?”

Jennifer and Seth looked at each other and then at Raph and Hector who had big grins on their faces. They all burst out laughing, including Curtis.

“You got a live one here, fellas,” Jennifer laughed.

“We know,” Hector replied, “and we wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Popovers and drinks,” Emmett said as he brought a tray of coffee and a soda and a new basket of popovers. Curtis grabbed one and started munching. The sounds of pure bliss poured out of his body.

“These things ought to be illegal. They’re so good,” Raph exclaimed.

“I know,” Jennifer said, “and I shouldn’t have another one, but I’m going to.” She snagged a warm one out of the basket. “I have to be able to fit into a wedding dress but I’ll worry about that tomorrow.”

“You’ll look absolutely beautiful regardless,” Seth said.

“You can see why I keep him around,” Jennifer laughed as she kissed Seth’s cheek.

“Wait just a minute here,” Raph said. “Did I hear wedding in there somewhere?”

“Yes, in the spring,” Jennifer smiled. “I expect you all to be there.”

“You do?” Curtis asked.

“I do. Hey, that was good practice for the ceremony,” Jennifer chuckled.

“Definitely,” Seth grinned. “I love the sound of it.”

“We better get going,” Jennifer said. “We have a hot date later tonight.”

“Good to see you both,” Raph said.

“You too,” Seth replied before they headed out of the restaurant. “They’re a lovely family,” he said to Jennifer as they walked along the street.

“I’m so happy for Curtis and he seems to have filled an important place in Raph and Hector’s life.”

“Yeah.”

“You know,” Jennifer said thoughtfully. “That boy reminds me of Justin.”

“Justin? Isn’t the coloring a little off?” Seth asked.

Jennifer elbowed him in the ribs. “Naughty,” she said. “I meant in the way he answered my question. He sounded a little like a PSA with just a trace of wicked humor.”

“And that’s Justin?”

“Yeah,” Jennifer said with a faraway look in her eye. “It used to be.”

“Curtis could do a lot worse than be like Justin.”

Jennifer squeezed Seth’s hand as they made their way to the car.



*****



“Do you really think they’ll invite me to their wedding?” Curtis asked when Jenn and Seth left Emmett’s Place.

“That’s what it sounded like,” Hector assured Curtis.

“Wow!”

“Wow?” Raph asked with a questioning look on his face.

“I’ll get to practice some more of those social situation thingies,” Curtis said with a wicked grin.

“Looks like you will,” Hector replied, as both he and Raph had a gentle laugh at their son.



*****



“A slight change of plans, people,” Brian announced with authority. “A cool breeze just started whipping through the trees. I think we should eat in the porch.”

“Fine with me,” John agreed. They didn’t want anyone getting a chill. “Gus can help me put the food in the warmer while we set the table. Why don’t you show the Connolly’s the gardens and the stream while we still have good light? I believe the guys are at the stream; the girls are with Beau at the Wendy house.”

“Sounds good. We’ll get the girls on our way back from the stream,” Brian said as he showed the Connolly’s out through the porch door.

“Beautiful!” Morgan exclaimed. She flitted through the garden like a butterfly looking for nectar taking pictures at every conceivable angle. Brian wore an amused expression that caught Richard’s eye.

“What is it?” Richard asked as he watched Brian stare at his wife.

“She reminds me of Justin,” Brian replied.

“How so?”

“We look at a garden and see pretty flowers. They see miracles.” Richard gazed out at the carefully planned garden that now sported its Fall colors of rich deep reds, purple and gold. In his mind’s eye and recalling Justin’s paintings, Richard could see the garden in the Spring and the Summer.

“I must know who is your landscape artist! This is the garden that Mr. Taylor painted in his Seasons show, right?” Morgan asked with much admiration. Brian shrugged his shoulders then blushed.

“Let’s go down to the stream. The boys are there,” was all that Brian would reveal.

Brian wound the Connolly’s through the garden then past the Wendy house. They could hear the girls inside giggling as they played. Beau moved to the small porch of the Wendy house to watch Brian and the Connolly’s pass by.

“My god, is that a wolf?” Richard asked with more than a little concern.

“He thinks he is,” Brian quipped. “That’s Beau, John’s dog but he takes care of all us on this lane. Remind me to tell you about the fire and how Beau saved Emmett and Drew’s cottage,” Brian said proudly as he led his charges down the path toward the stream.

“Hey, Uncle Brian, is it time to eat?” Patrick asked as he ran up to his uncle.

“That’s why I’m here. Vittles is done been cooked, time for y’all to chow down,” Brian teased as he ruffled the boy’s flaming red hair.

“You’re silly, Uncle Bri. I’ll go get Poppa but you can get Uncle Justin,” Patrick said as he pointed toward Justin who was sitting on the great rock totally immersed in his sketch.

“Message received and understood, sir,” Brian gave Patrick a mock salute. “Please excuse me,” Brian turned toward the Connolly’s. “I have to pluck my mushroom off his rock.”

Richard chuckled as he commiserated. When Morgan was caught up in her art, nothing short of a blast could tear her away. They watched with fascination as Brian strode casually over to the great rock.

“Hey, Sunshine, we have guests and they came hungry like we agreed.” Brian said softly as he gently caressed his lover’s cheek. Justin leaned into Brian’s touch. Justin looked up into Brian’s eyes, seeing all the love he ever wanted radiating back at him from the hazel eyes. Justin couldn’t help but to smile his most brilliant smile for Brian. Morgan caught it all on film.

Hand in hand they went to meet their guests.

“Hi, I’m Justin and thank you for coming to our home,” Justin said sincerely.

“Thank you for inviting us,” Richard said as he stepped forward to shake the artist’s hand. They had briefly met at the gallery but Richard didn’t get a chance for an interview then. The clearing of a throat broke Richard out of his reverie.

“Forgive me; this is Morgan my photojournalist and my wife.” Morgan smiled prettily as she shook Justin’s hand.

“Nice to meet you both. Have you met Bobby and Patrick?” Justin asked.

“Yes, we’ve just met,” Bobby answered. “Let’s go get the girls and get back to the cottage. That breeze is getting cool.”

Everyone agreed and they headed back to the cottages.



*****



“Hey Squirt!” Brian called out from the path. “Lunch is getting cold, and it’s getting cool out here. Time to come in now.”

A strawberry blond streak of lightning came dashing out of the Wendy house and crashing into Brian’s legs.

“Dada, you found me!”

“I didn’t know you were lost, Squirt,” Brian said as he scooped up his daughter to introduce her to the Connolly’s. “Bree, this is Mr. and Mrs. Connolly. They’re here to have lunch with us.”

As Brian made the introductions, Beau with JR in tow sidled up to the group. Beau woofed softly, startling Morgan.

“Whoa! What a big dog. And who is this pretty young lady?”

“Hi, I’m JR, Gus’ sister,” JR introduced herself, and effectively confused the situation further. Brian chuckled.

“I’ll explain over lunch.”

The group walked back to the cottage.



*****



“Are you sure we can’t help with anything?” Morgan asked as Brian and John set all the food on the table. Bobby and Justin were making sure the little ones had washed up and were situated at the table. Gus and JR were helping with the beverages.

“No need,” Brian said. “Don’t be shy; dig in before it’s gone.” Brian passed around a huge bowl of salad that was very inviting.

They all began to enjoy their meal, making small talk and regaling the Connolly’s with stories about things that had happened at Edna’s Treasures and about the brave, heroic Beau.

“Please, someone must tell me who does your gardens!” Morgan begged. “It’s so beautiful,” Morgan continued to gush with praise.

“We’ve recently bought a house with just enough land for a garden and small patio but we can’t seem to agree on the arrangement,” Richard explained. “We’d love to consult your landscaper, if he’s reasonable, that is.”

“Our gardener is very reasonable, most days, unless he’s grumpy,” Justin replied.

“True,” John added. “He has a natural talent although he does have his eccentricities.”

“And he does employ some very unusual techniques,” Bobby nonchalantly commented.

“You make him sound like some old curmudgeon,” Richard ventured around an ear of corn.

“Curmudgeon, yes, but never say the ‘o’ word in front of him. We like to think he’s aging with perfection,” Gus said remembering something he had overheard Justin say to his dad.

“And he has been known to talk to the plants to encourage them to grow,” Justin said.

“Oh? What does he say to them?” Morgan asked as she took a sip of iced tea.

“Now grow, you fucker!” All eyes turned to the petite blond princess.