- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Gus wanted to go the minute he saw Justin with me. The moment Justin picked up Gus, our lives had the next piece of our puzzle.

 

“My Jussin, Dada.” Gus tells me.

 

“Our Jussin, Sonny boy.” I tell him.

 

“Where Kira?” He asks us.

 

“Still waiting, but not as long.” Justin tells us.

 

I got us in the car before asking him what he meant. Linda didn’t need a reason to question my sanity.

 

“Our timeline is different. I'm thirty, not seventeen this time.” He tells me.

 

“You're actually the older one.” I snicker.

 

“Just barely, birthday boy.” He smirks.

 

“Why do you think Kira will come sooner?” I ask.

 

“It’s part of our time line, which isn’t the same anymore because this is another possible life we could have lived. Kira’s birth is a given when we decided to do it.” He tells me.

 

“How? There isn’t a Molly or sister that could make Kira.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe I’m not the only child my parents had. I don’t know for sure, but Kira is part of both of us in some way. You found Gus, and we’ll find a way to have Kira. It might not be Molly, but who knows, she may be here too.” He tells me.

 

“I just can’t imagine a world without Jen.” I tell him.

 

“Even if we don’t find her, I really like your parents.” He tells me.

 

“Just wait, my birthday isn't something my mother allows to go by. She says if she went through birth, I have to go through her celebrating it.” I tell him, smiling at the parties my mother threw.

 

“I love her already, for being the kind of mother you deserve.” He tells me.

 

“When I remembered us, I kept waiting for my parents to change. It's still weird, because the last time my life was essentially the same. This time none of it is.” I tell him.

 

“Did Michael dislike you from the beginning?” I ask.

 

“I've stayed away from all of them. My parents remind me a lot of Jen, only a little of Deb. When I told them I was gay, my father told me all he wanted was for me to be happy, and he was just as proud to be the father of a gay son as he'd been when he didn’t know. My mom said she still expected grandchildren one day. Mom didn't run out and join PFLAG, but only because I asked her not to.” He tells me.

 

“Why?” Justin asks.

 

“Deb still runs it, and I didn’t want to have to hang out with Michael and Ian. Deb treats PFLAG as a place for Michael to find a new boyfriend.” I tell him.

 

“She and Ethan weren’t buddies when they met.” I tell him. “She can't stand him, it's like she needs someone to call asshole and he got the title.”

 

“Is she still defending Michael all the time?” He asks.

 

“That's one change she managed to make. I think it's more to do with her and Vic raising Michael together, since neither one of them is one of his parents. Without the guilt of lying about who his father was, she didn't do the things she did.” I tell him.

 

“Yet she's still looking for a boyfriend for Michael.” He tells me.

 

“She doesn’t like that Ian lives off Michael. ‘The great novelist must only work on his craft, if he's ever going to give me the life he dreams of’, is Michael’s new motto.” I tell him, as we pull into my parents place.

 

“Guess what Gus, you're grandparents are in there.” Justin tells him.

 

“Debbie?” He asks.

 

“Nope Sonny Boy, better.” I tell him getting him out of the car.

 

EMMETT

 

Bill called me to stop the insanity that was Beth buying for their soon-to-be grandson. I loved Beth for dealing with my mother when she showed up in town, worried something was wrong with me moving to hell, as she truly believes. My mother Kitty complained to Beth that her baby lost his mind. Beth told her that was most likely true, but what would the Kinney’s do without me. Brian’s parents were so down to earth in comparison to mine, but I wouldn’t trade Kitty and Greg Honeycutt’s unwavering love for me for anything.

 

I grew up with a mother who could flame brighter than even the biggest queens I knew. And a father who treated us like royalty. It was fabulous to say they were my parents. I knew Mommy would kick Drew’s ass if I asked, but would also tell me that no man was worth hiding my light. It hurt that once again Drew had to hide for fame. On the way back with Beth, I called my mom and told her about Drew. I put Mom on speaker because she and Beth would just use me as a go-between in the middle of the call.

 

“Sweetie, if he doesn't see your worth more, he can marry the woman and be miserable.” Mom tells me.

 

“I love him, I think he and I could be happy.” I tell her.

 

“He couldn’t have anyone better to love him, but make him earn you.” Mom tells me.

 

“I'm not going to let him play games with me.” I tell her.

 

“If you need me, I'll come to hell.” She tells me.

 

“I know, but you might scare the shit out of him, Kitty Honeycutt.” Beth tells her, laughing.

 

“Too bad Emmett and Brian are best friends, they'd make a hell of a team.” Mom tells Beth.

 

“Guess who has a boyfriend and is making me a grandmother?” Beth teases my mom.

 

“Hell here I come, I have to see the man Brian is bringing us. Emmett, did you forget who taught you Gossip 101?” Mom asks, seriously.

 

“We all just found out.” I lie, to save myself, but the truth would have Mom checking me in for a spa retreat.

 

“Daddy and I are coming for our baby. Tell Brian I expect Granny to be my title.” Mom commands, hanging up.

 

“I bet tomorrow.” Beth tells me.

 

“You didn’t factor in that this is a triple.” I tell her.

 

“True. Both you and Brian showing interest in a relationship, and a grandchild. Greg will try for tonight just to hide out with Bill.” She laughs.

 

“He thinks Bill is the sane one.” I giggle.

 

“I know I should wait, but tell me about Justin. I've waited years for Brian to find someone.” She tells me.

 

“Justin’s strong, independent, and smart as hell. He doesn’t have family that I know of, Brian found out he grew up in foster care, but got into college on a scholarship, and bought a publishing firm. I think you're going to love the man he brings out in Brian.” I tell her.

 

“I love anyone who sees my son for the man he is. It's why I love you and Ted.” She tells me.

 

“But not Michael?” I tease.

 

“There are so many reasons I question your friendship with that one.” She laughs, pulling in. “We’ll get back to that, I see my grandson waiting.” She tells me, getting out and running to meet our other baby.

 

JUSTIN

 

I now understand how overwhelming it must have been for Brian when he met my mother the first time. Beth is everything my mother was, only she didn’t have a husband like my Dad. She was also very involved in Brian’s and Emmett’s lives.

 

“Emmett told me you own your own business, but do you like art? It’s Brian’s passion.” She tells me.

 

“I dabble in it, but not as much as I once did. I went into publishing because I loved the way writers welcome you into a new world or show you history in a new light.” I tell her.

 

“Would I know any of your authors?” She asks.

 

“I represent Daphne Chanders and Theo West, those are my best sellers right now.” I tell him.

 

“He turned down Ian.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, it’s Ethan, at least that’s all we hear when we get stuck with Deb and Michael.” Beth tells me, rolling her eyes.

 

“I haven’t really met Deb, but Michael and Ethan aren’t big fans of mine.” I tell her.

 

“I’m not big fans of theirs either. I can deal with Deb, but Michael’s temper tantrums just make it hard to want to stick around them.” She tells me.

 

Gus crawled up in my lap and like I did in the past, I started feeding him, not realizing I was doing it. Brian smiled but didn’t really pay attention, because this was normal to us. Beth and Bill watched every move I made and then I realized it did seem odd that Gus and I were this close.

 

“You like Justin, Gus?” Beth asks.

 

“Jussin.” Gus corrects her, since T’s weren’t in his vocabulary yet.

 

“He and Justin met earlier. Gus thinks Justin belongs to him.” Brian tells her.

 

“I think my grandson is just showing you he likes your choice.” Bill tells him.

 

“When will he be with you?” Mom asks Brian.

 

“They have to do a background check, and will probably be calling you, Dad, and Emmett soon, to determine if I’m a good candidate to be Gus’s father.” Brian tells her.

 

“When kids reach Gus’s age they tend to place them faster, because it’s harder when the kids are older.” I tell her.

 

“Emmett told me that you were raised in the system. I hope you don’t mind, I wanted to know about you.” Beth tells me.

 

“I lived in a group home when I was older, and for the most part it wasn’t bad. I was never abused and the pastor that ran it made sure that we all were given a good education. He helped me find scholarships that paid my way thru college. Overall I can’t complain, because I had everything I needed growing up.” I tell her and Brian, who I knew wasn’t thrilled about this.

 

“Even if you and Brian decide to only be friends, my home is always open if you need it.” Beth tells me.

 

“I don’t see him coming here unless we’re together.” Brian assures his mother.

 

“I found your teddy bear, wait here I’ll get it for Gus.” Bill says when Beth stared at Brian and seemed to see something only she and Brian knew.

 

“Bear?” Gus asks Brian.

 

“Here’s Gus Bear, it belonged to…” Bill came in, stopping when he didn’t know what to call Brian for Gus.

 

“Jussin, Gus Bear!” Gus said as he ran to get it.

 

“I used to have one like that, I don’t know what happened to it.” I tell Brian.

 

“Brian threw a fit at the store when he saw it. Which was new because Brian normally didn’t care for anything but clothes. I gave in like a horrible mother, but it was the only time he reacted like that.” Beth tells me.

 

We had to take Gus back and Emmett went with us, after promising to bring his mother over when she arrived. Emmett had to drag Brian and me out the door, because Gus was ours. Linda let Brian know she talked to the social worker on the case and they were just waiting to talk to Brian’s parents. Brian wasn’t thrilled when I told him I needed to be home for Hunter.

 

“He thought something happened to me. I’m always home before morning. I don’t want him scared like that again.” I tell Brian.

 

“I hope he likes house guests.” Brian tells me, following my directions to my house.

 

“He’s still at the smartass stage.” I tell him.

 

“I get to come too, don’t I?” Emmett asks.

 

“Why not, Hunter is going to have to deal with you sooner or later.” Brian tells him.

 

We got to my house and I saw the curtain flutter. I got out so Hunter could see it was me in Brian’s Jeep. “Just remember he’s my brother when you want to kick his ass.” I tell them.

 

Hunter opened the door, acting like the butler and waving them in. “I ate, if you were worried.” He tells me.

 

“I invited you to come with us to lunch.” I tell Hunter.

 

“Wouldn’t want to embarrass your boyfriend.” Hunter says, almost like an insult to Brian.

 

“In those shorts, I could see why.” Brian says sweetly.

 

“Hunter you have new clothes, start wearing them.” I tell him, because the shorts were bordering on my dancer shorts.

 

“Where’s your car?” Hunter asks.

 

“I left it at Brian’s when we went to get Gus.” I tell him.

 

“You had a foursome?” Hunter shows he’s still the mouthy brat he always was.

 

“I can’t believe I miss that.” Brian says laughing.

 

“At least I can work with him, and what I can’t do, Beth and Kitty can.” Emmett tells Hunter.

 

“What?” Hunter asks, not sure how to take either of them.

 

“My mom Kitty loves shaping the future, she’ll be thrilled to have a young mind to ruin.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Are you guys on a bad trip or something?” Hunter asks, walking away and going to his room.

 

“What do you think?” Brian asks.

 

“He’ll get used to you, hopefully not the same way he did in the past.” I giggle.

 

“It wouldn’t matter, I only wanted one stalker for life.” Brian tells me.

 

“Hopefully Ben isn’t three.” Emmett says, getting beers out of the refrigerator and handing one to Brian.

 

“I still think it’s bullshit and it really doesn’t matter because we are here to help Ted.” Brian tells us.

 

“Maybe there’s more that we weren’t told. Remember the last time, everyone was confusing you two.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Marty can’t help either, he told me he only see minutes before Justin does anything. Marty did say he thinks there’s a reason why Cynthia is with Justin.” Brian tells us.

 

“You didn’t tell me that.” I tell him.

 

“I tend to forget when I get you naked. Didn’t we cover that the last time?” Brian kisses me.

 

“Why is there always something no one tells us?” Emmett asks.

 

“Free will, Emmy Lou. We have to be responsible for what we do.” Brian tells him.