- Text Size +

TED


I could strangle them for leaving me at the table. The moms were all over me, asking if I was okay after breaking up with Ben. It sucked that other than being single, it didn’t bother me. I at least wanted to say there was something I would miss, but other than having a someone to do things with, that was it. It bothered me even more when I was practically knocked on my ass by a guy who didn’t even talk to me, but took off when he saw me, as if I scared the shit out of him.


After sitting around watching the kid, Hunter eat like the food would disappear, Kitty decided we needed the boys to stop playing in the bathroom. We watched as Kitty marched Emmett around, introducing her son to every man in the restaurant, before sitting down in the seats that put Emmett in Drew’s line of sight. Blake sat next to me, and I watched as he almost touched me, but pulled back like I'd burn him. I just had enough, and excused myself so Blake would stop acting like he didn't like me for some reason. I ignored everyone when they tried to get me to come back. It wasn’t really making my day to have this guy treat me like I wasn't welcome to breathe the same air.


I was outside headed towards my car when the asshole runs up to me.


“I got the message loud and clear in the restaurant. If you don’t like me for some reason, I honestly don't give a fuck.” I tell him.


“You're so different. More confident.” He says softly.


“Why wouldn't I be?” I ask.


“No reason, I just wanted to introduce myself since you caught me at my worst. I'm Blake, or Theo West, but my friends call me Blake.” He tells me.


“I'm Ted, and don’t feel like you have to talk to me. It's obvious you didn’t want to.” I tell him.


“I'm not used to being attracted to someone the minute I see them.” He tells me.


“Okay, but Brian seems to be all into this Justin guy, so you might be disappointed.” I joke, to cover my delight.


“Brian could probably turn as many heads as Justin can, but somehow it seems only you render me speechless.” He tells me.


“I should tell you, I just got out of a relationship.” I tell him.


“Did you love him?” He asks.


“That’s a conversation that requires coffee and maybe some pie.” I tell him.


“I love coffee and wouldn’t mind pie.” He tells me.


“My car’s right here, all you have to do is get in and we’ll find a place to talk.” I tell him.


“Just so you know, your confidence is a big turn on.” Blake tells me.


We went to a bakery I liked and I went to up order a few different slices to share with him. It was like all the excitement I’d been missing was there in the man waiting for his coffee. I wanted to know about him. I could talk about Ben, but right now I just was interested in Blake. He talked about his family and how he decided to give his dream to write a chance.


“What about men? You must have guys lined up, waiting for a chance with you.” I tell him.


“There was one person, I spent all my time never feeling like I was good enough for him. Which was stupid because he never made me feel that way. He always made sure I knew he loved me, and I ran away upset, and lost the chance to live my life with him.” He tells me.


“You’re still capable of winning him back.” I point out.


“He’s no longer available, and truthfully I want a relationship where I feel we start on common ground.” He tells me.


“We might not have anything in common.” I tell him.


“I’m simple, I like staying home, with occasional nights out with friends. Taking trips with the idea of relaxing, not planning every minute of the trip, and my guilty pleasure is listening to opera or seeing one.” He tells me.


“I have a box at the opera.” I tell him.


“Some things never change.” He tells me, kissing me before I can ask what he meant, but then, I really didn’t care.


EMMETT


“Emmett, the art of driving a man insane is ignoring him.” My mother tells me, when I stared back a Drew staring at me.


“I've heard stalking works.” Brian jokes, as Justin glares at him.


“I remember this guy who chased after the one everyone wanted, he never got past the title of ‘best friend’. I would call what he did stalking.” Justin tells him.


“You think Ted was okay?” Beth asks us.


“If the way Blake and Ted looked at each other is any indication, I doubt breaking up with Ben really bothered Ted.” Kitty tells her.


“I liked Ben, but always got the feeling he used Ted to hang out with Emmett and Brian.” Beth says, making me smirk at Brian.


“What made you think that?” Justin asks.


“I love meeting all of Brian’s friends, and don't mind if they show up without him, but Ben showed up, never being brought over by Brian. Ted was with him, but Ben barely let Ted talk.” Beth tells us.


“We got to hear all about Ben, it felt like he was trying to impress us. It came off as self absorbed, it's why we thought Ted could do better.” Bill tells us.


“He tends to talk like he's lecturing you, I told him he had years before he knew more than me.” My dad tells us.


“Isn’t that the guy who was trying to tell you Brian wasn’t good enough for you?” Hunter asks Justin, losing any way to win with Beth and Bill.


“Hunter, we talked about spying for the office.” Justin tells him.


“I just wanted to watch you give him your ‘get lost special’.” Hunter tells him, pulling Justin’s plate to him.


“Ben isn't making my happy list. Unfortunately I'll probably make his, since I sent his book to get published.” Justin tells us.


“I thought you didn't like how he wrote the characters?” I ask.


“It's more that people will by it, then my personal opinion on it. Ben writes one of the main characters as if everything he did was wrong for the guy he loves. The market we are going to aim it at, loves when the bad boy wins over the perfect one.” Justin tells us.


“Excuse me, can I talk to you?” Drew interrupts us.


“And you would be?” My mother asks crisply.


“Drew Boyd.” He says, as if everyone should know.


“Is your name supposed to mean something?” My mom asks, looking confused, and enjoying his discomfort.


“I just need to talk to Emmett. My agent isn't happy that he caused some rumors to start.” He tells her.


“Rumors come from hiding the truth.” I tell him.


“I’m getting married, and I don’t need the crap you pulled.” Drew tells me, getting all in my personal space.


“Then stay the hell away from me. If I cause problems, the answer is easy, don’t come near me. I was sitting here with my family, minding my own business. YOU'RE the one who came to our table, most likely causing all the problems your agent worries will out your ass!” I yell.


“What do you expect, when you're practically flirting with every man in the room!” Drew yells back.


“I can flirt all I want, I’m not pretending I’m anything but GAY!” I yell, standing up and getting up in his face.


“I don’t like it.” He tells me.


“TOO BAD, I am not your property to jerk around. I….” the rest of that sentence was lost in the lips I dream about every night.


“What is it about you?” He asks, me pulling me back to kiss me again.


“See, stalking works.” Justin adds, as they all get up to leave me with Drew.


JUSTIN


On the way home I drove by my mother’s house, and then circled and drove by it again.


“Stalking your mother’s house when she doesn’t know, could be considered strange.” Brian tells me as we drive by again.


“You found your mom?” Hunter asks.


“Brian did, apparently Cynthia’s my cousin or something.” I tell him, stopping this time.


“Remember when I told you my friend was looking for a way to help her mom?” Hunter asks me.


“Yes, I already told you I’d ask Brian if he had a job for the mom, not the kid.” I tell him.


“I offered your mom the job here.” Brian tells me.


“Hello, can you two listen for a second?” Hunter asks.


“What?” I ask him.


“My friend lives in your mom’s house.” Hunter tells me.


“What’s her name?” Brian asks.


“Brittney. She and I hang out when I come with Justin to work. She’s been skipping school because the kids that go to the uppity school she still attends treat her like it’s her fault her dad kicked them out.” Hunter tells him.


“Would it be strange for you to show up at their house?” Brian asks.


“Jen never minds if I stop by.” Hunter tells us.


“Do they have everything they need?” I ask.


“Jen makes sure they have the basics, which is more than my mother and father do. Jen’s really big on taking care of her family by working her ass off.” He tells me.


“How would you feel about helping me meet my family?” I ask.


“It’s what brother’s do, right?” He asks me, getting out and going to the door.

 

I got out and followed him with Brian, when Mom opened the door she smiled at Hunter then looked over to me covering her mouth. “I’ve waited so long.” She tells me, stopping before she hugged me. I didn’t let that stop me, this was my mom.