- Text Size +

JUSTIN


I got to my office and stared at the book that had me wanting to tear it to shreds before I knew. I flipped through it with new eyes. When I first read it, it seemed like Ben was trying to get my character to see he was the better choice. Now it's like he was trying to prove he was the better man for Brian.


Marty came in and sat in front of me. “I don’t get why Ben is even trying, Brian never loved anyone until you.” He tells me.


“In the other lives, did you ever get any indication Ben was still interested in Brian after their encounter at the White Party?” I ask him.


“Well of course, but it wasn’t like Brian didn’t have a lot of men interested. Ben would have been one of the many at that time. In truth, Ben’s mind tends to bore me, so I didn’t really pay attention to him, especially because, unlike you and Brian, there was nothing that made me want to see that relationship in living color.” He tells me.


“It’s just, none of what he’s doing is making sense. Ben was always a nice guy, like you said, boring but nice. What would change that for him?” I ask, as Blake walks in.


“He said something about other lives that weren’t lived, not that it explains anything.” Blake tells me.


“Like I told Justin, there are always lives that could have happened, but in most cases they don’t, because they weren’t supposed to. It’s why Brian got to come back, because he and Justin didn’t live the life they were supposed to. Living any of those lives would end up the same, because they were the wrong ones.” Marty tells us.


“This life isn’t exactly the right one either.” I tell Marty, thinking of my mom and sisters.


“In your case, any life that leads to you and Brian along with your children being together is the thread that leads to the right one. It’s the same for Blake, Ted, Emmett, and Drew, there are just relationships that are a part of the plan.” Marty tells us.


“I just wish we knew what life Ben thinks should happen. Then we could at least understand why nothing seems to matter to him. Even Hunter doesn’t seem important to him, that was one thing I would think the Ben I knew would think about.” I tell him.


“I guess I see the whole Hunter thing differently than you do.” Marty tells me.


“How did you see it?” I ask.


“Michael really didn’t want Hunter until Ben forced him get to know the kid. For someone who everyone described as caring, Michael only seemed to care when he could play daddy for everyone to praise him. What parent would make their kid go back to the school where the other parents were telling their kids to treat Hunter like a leper?  Ben did give the impression that he wanted Hunter, but think about when Hunter took off. They handed him money and didn’t stop him when he took off. The whole time Hunter was gone, neither of them checked up on him or even talked about it. It was all about JR and who was the better parents. In the end they let Hunter come  back after he came home to help take care of Michael. In that press conference they were showing everyone they were the alternative family the press wanted to see.” Marty tells us.


“I remember they went to the school to defend Hunter, but that was also when I was questioning my relationship with Brian again. I guess I wasn't really paying close attention.” I tell him.


“Which would make you wonder why you were the one they were practically shoving their life at. Think about it; Ben and Michael have you over showing you everything Brian wasn’t offering you. If you were already questioning the relationship, Ben was giving you more reasons. ” Marty tells me.


“It’s just, we are already playing this life out, so any other life isn’t going to happen. Why even fight for something Brian would never give him?” Blake tells us.


“It’s an answer I could never come up with about Michael. At least until this life. Now Michael’s busy with Ethan. It’s not something Brian cares about anyway. We only came to help Ted and Blake, but that looks like it’s working itself out. I guess maybe Brian’s right and we’re making a big issue out of a non-issue for Brian.” I tell them.


“I have an idea for a book.” Blake tells me.


“If you wanted to change the subject, you should have just told us to shut up.” I joke.


“It sort of goes along with the subject, I’m going to need all of you to help me fill in things I don’t have the answers to. I was thinking of what you said Ben wrote. I wonder how he’d like to see the events in his life as we see them.” Blake tells me.


“Have I told you that you're my favorite author? Just don’t tell Daphne, she’ll make my next death extra gory.” I joke.


BRIAN


I swear, there are days when I would love to kill the twat and Emmett. They want to believe Ben wants me, and yeah, of course I knew he did. It wasn’t something new in my world, but it didn’t matter to me, the same way none of the tricks mattered to me. So when I sat outside Justin’s office listening to them all, the only thing I could agree to was the last sentence Justin uttered. I figured it was time for us to have lunch with all our favorite villains.


“We’re going to the diner?” Justin asks, when we park in front of it.


“We might not be close this time, but I still check-up on Deb and Vic. Vic isn’t doing as well this time as he was last time. They might not remember me or the lives before, but it doesn’t change what they were to us.” I tell Justin.


“The last time I came was the night we met, and all I could think was to get my food to go when she started talking. I wonder if that’s why the seats at the counter were only filled when there weren’t any booths left.” Justin jokes as we walk in.


Deb looks over at Justin for a second before telling us to find a place to sit. Justin and I sat at the booth we normally did, not really thinking it was our first time back here together. When Deb dropped off my coffee and handed Justin orange juice before we asked, it took me back for a second.


“What? Sunshine here ordered that instead of coffee when he was here the other night. I guess you actually caught up to him when he ran off the other night.” She tells me, as Michael, Ethan and Ben walk in together.


“I’d like tea with the bag on the side and possibly the water hot enough that the tea can actually become tea.” Ethan tells her, walking by like the pompous ass he is.


“We’d also like breakfast before lunch Aunt Deb.” Michael orders her, before sitting down.


“Anything you’d like to say?” Deb asks, not sounding happy.


“Sorry. Ethan’s book got turned down, I’m sure he and Michael will remember their manners later. Wheat toast and oatmeal when you have the time.” Ben tells her, kissing her cheek.


“Ethan doesn’t need you offering excuses for him. Why couldn’t Michael have met you first?” Deb asks him, smiling.


“People don’t always see there are better options in life.” Ben tells her.


“I agree. Why waste time on someone who really didn’t leave enough of an impression to make knowing them memorable enough to want a repeat. Then again, Justin probably thinks I’m crazy to already know he’s the one who I will spend my life with.” I tell Ben.


“Has Brian introduced you to his parents?” Deb asks.


“Mom loves Justin, but she likes everyone.” I tell her.


“Well, she did mention one friend who showed up at your parents house. She didn’t have a high opinion of him for inviting himself over.” Justin tells me.


“Why did you show up at my parents house?” I ask Ben.


“Ted wanted to go. Sorry to cut you short, but I shouldn’t leave my friends waiting for me.” Ben rushes off.


“I'm still not getting him hanging out with them.” Justin tells me.


“Honey, no one gets wanting Ethan. Michael could have done better. There was a time when Brian's mother introduced him and Michael, I had hopes for the end of that friendship. For some reason my nephew fixated on his best friend and chased him until Ethan gave in to him. It's like he doesn't see the way Ethan uses him.” Deb tells us.


“It's one of life's mysteries, sis.” Vic tells her.


“Hi Vic.” Justin says, forgetting they haven’t met.


“Hi. Justin right?” Vic asks.


Justin looks at me when he realized the problem with the conversation.


“Michael was outside bitching about you and Brian. Apparently, Justin shouldn't be in the publishing business, since he didn't see the genius of Ethan.” Vic jokes.


“If you need to escape the genius, you can sit at the counter.” Deb says, giving Ethan a glare when he asks loudly how long it takes to get hot water.


“Or sit with me, at least they'll bitch about us and leave Deb alone, before she makes Ethan’s hot water special.” Justin tells him.


“Worked in a restaurant before Sunshine, or just reading my mind?” Deb asks.


“I've served a few customers in the past, in fact I think I served a side of bacon once with a little Justin special.” He says, making me think back to see if he ever served me bacon when he was pissed at me.


The diner started filling up and Deb made a point to serve us and five new customers before Michael and Ethan.


“How's life?” Vic asks.


“Great. Justin and I are about to adopt a son, which has my mother thrilled.” I tell him.


“What do you know about this Carl guy who’s been calling Deb? She's been acting like a high schooler with her first crush. Which has been making it easier on me to have a life.” He tells us.


“Carl's really a wonderful man, he’s sort of a mentor for me. I think he'll give Deb a reason to leave you time for your own life.” Justin tells him.


“Deb and I both need to a reason to let Michael deal with his own problems. The little triangle over there bothers me.” He tells us, tilting his head at Michael’s table.


“Why?” I ask.


“It's going to sound a little off, but it's like what I'm seeing, doesn’t fit.” He tells us.


“In what way?” Justin asks.


“It's almost like Ethan and Ben are, it's hard to describe, but it’s like they both know something, and Michael’s just there to amuse them. I guess it's more like Ethan is trying to hard to make us believe he wants Michael, the way Ben was with Ted. I could be just an old man trying to find ways to understand the three of them, when nothing about them makes sense to me. I'm going to go keep Deb from pouring hot water on Ethan, but it was nice to meet you, Justin.” He says, as we notice Deb glaring at Ethan.


“You know, I almost feel sorry for Michael, other than Dr Dick, guys only come around him to get to us.” Justin tells me, shrugging.


“Fine Scooby, we'll amuse ourselves trying to figure out this mystery.” I concede to the smiling twat.









,