- Text Size +

JUSTIN


Carl came over to the new house to talk to us, but got distracted when he saw Jenny and Gus. He held Jenny while Gus talked his ear off. Carl wasn’t surprised at Gus remembering anything.


“How much do you know this time?” Brian asked.


“Probably as much as you and Justin do. What I told Emmett comes from years of being a detective. We might not be dealing with a crime, but you're looking for someone who wants to steal something from you.” He tells us.


“It would have made more sense to do it before either of us knew anything. Why wait until we're together? Then how do you find a noble reason to go back as many times as the person did?” I ask.


“It could depend on when they remembered. If they were living this life without remembering the past then they wouldn't remember either of you.” He tells us.


“Beyond Michael, Ethan, and Ben we’re coming up empty. I'm assuming Lindsay can't interfere.” I tell him.


“I doubt Michael would be a problem, but only because he was really trying to redeem himself before everything changed.” Carl tells us.


“Ben said Lindsay somehow got to Michael. Why would she bother if Michael was busy redeeming himself?” Brian asks.


“Because it would make sense to her. In her eyes, Michael should be as bitter as her. She couldn't do anything, so, go with the guy who wanted everything she didn’t get.” He tells us.


“What about Ethan? Why stick around if he didn’t think what Michael knows would give him what he wants?” I ask.


“He has all the combinations you mentioned to Emmett.” Brian tells him.


“He's lazy and he wants things handed to him. In a lot of ways you’re looking at the Michael of other lives. You need to look at someone who has a grudge against you. It would likely be someone who hated your success in all things, in both lives. You were both on track to have it all in the first life, and by the second, you both became successful, raised successful children, and became the kind of couple no one thought you two could become. It's why Ben bothers me; Brian got everything Ben wanted, until he left Michael.” He tells us.


“Ben says he’s worried that Michael could use what he knows to separate him from his soulmate. “ I tell him.


“In your vision, did any of it affect you?” Carl asks Brian.


“No. But I knew to look for Justin.” Brian tells him.


“Soulmates have a special bond. Even if you don’t remember the person, there's a part of you that isn't whole without the other. In the end, meeting is all you have to do. It wouldn’t matter if you remember, because you’re linked to the other person.” He tells us.


“What happens if, like Ben was saying, Justin or I weren’t born in a life together?” Brian asks.


“That's decided by God, not any of us. If someone here wants to mess with HIS plans, then they suffer his wrath. Which Lindsay found out when she tried. Anyone with half a brain would tread lightly before repeating what Lindsay did. It's the only reason why you should be looking at people who weren't inside your circle. You need to think of someone who ended up losing something in both lives because they felt you interfered in them getting thing they thought they deserved.” He tells us.


“I've racked my brain, but other than people we either tricked with, or who caused us problems, we're coming up empty.” I tell him.


“After the plane didn’t crash, everything in our lives was different. Neither of us really did anything but take care of our family.” I tell him.


“When I said love, I didn’t necessarily mean in the sense of a relationship. It could be loving the life they had before meeting you two. If they lost the thing they loved, it’s enough to motivate them. It could be the fame they had or the lavish life they were living. Which brings in the greed and jealousy that you two had it all.” He tells us.


“Like Bellwether, only he lost his career because people figured out he didn’t practice what he was preaching. It wasn’t anything we did.” I tell him.


“But in his eyes he wasn't doing anything different than I did.” Brian tells me.


“You were the poster child of condoms and the proper use.” I tell him.


“He'd be someone to look into, because in this life he hasn't managed to get the following he had before.” Carl tells me.


“I rejected his book when he was shopping it. It's just, he didn’t act like he knew me, but then, I didn’t remember at the time.” I tell them.


“He not a big fan of me either, because I also passed up his book.Which makes him someone worth looking into.” Carl tells us.


“Too bad Ted doesn’t remember, because he was a big fan of Bedwetter.” Brian tells us.


“If it isn’t him, then who else can you think who might not like either you or Brian because of something you did that changed their lives?” Carl asks.


“If we get away from the idea that it was about Justin and me staying together? There were clients I turned away because I refused to help when they only wanted to play it safe. There were a few that told me they should have listened after having to downsize because their competitors listened to me. They were bitter, but also acknowledged it was their mistake. I don’t see how changing Justin in my life would matter to them.” Brian tells him.


“What about the sponsor for the Liberty ride? You kept Ted and Mel from using him the second time, but remember he disappeared after the first time.” I tell Brian.


“Along with my chair you wanted to donate, so maybe the patients were pissed I didn’t give it away in a second life.” Brian jokes.


“What happened with him?” Carl asks Brian.


“He showed up at my office after I commented that the money being spent to promote the ride could have been used for better purposes. He threatened my business unless he could get a huge donation, which was really a joke because in advertising the clients only care that my campaigns boost their market share and sell their products to the masses. When we met at his hotel, I made sure he understood he would have more to lose by duping the charities he represents. He was making millions off them, and leaving them with maybe a third of the proceeds. I made sure to steer my clients away from guys like him for their charity functions.” Brian tells him.


“In the second life, you convinced everyone not to use people like him.” I tell him.


“Ted and Mel sometimes got blinded by the celebrity, but were with me when I showed them the money the charities lose by using those kinds of people. He was a con artist.” Brian tells us.


“It’s a starting point. I’ll look into Bellwether for you, since I know him.” Carl tells us.


“I thought you weren’t going to interfere in our lives?” Brian asks.


“Helping you two is one thing. What everyone else was doing was interfering, when you both were perfectly capable of doing what was right. All of you were capable men with a brain in your heads.” Carl tells us. “Why do you have Jenny?” He asks.


“Mel backed out when her girlfriend didn’t want a child messing up their lives.” I tell him.


“She got away from Lindsay only to land another version of Lindsay.” Brian tells him.


“Brian, at the core we’re all still the people we are, different lives don’t change who you are inside.” Carl tells him.


“I wondered why Jenny and Gus seem to stay connected.” Brian tells him.


“Most likely because they were brother and sister, it’s a bond that stays. For Gus to be complete, he had to have the people he loved the most in his life, Jenny and Kira.” Carl tells us.


“We plan to adopt Jenny. I wanted to wait, in hopes that Mel would wake up and realize what she was losing.” Brian tells him.


“What are you asking?” Carl asks Brian.


“I don’t want to hurt Jenny’s life if she should be with Mel.” Brian tells him.


“Jenny’s life won’t change because you love her, you always did.” Carl tells him.


“I need to find Tucker for Jen.” Brian changes the subject, clearing his throat.


“I’ll call a friend and get him to get us the information.” Carl tells him, kissing Jenny’s head, then hugging Gus.


“Thanks Carl, for the help today and for being the grandfather you will always be to my kids.” Brian tells him.


“I’ll get back to you on what I find out.” Carl tells him, not making a big deal out of Brian’s words.


“What now?” I ask, taking the kids in the kitchen for lunch.

“We feed the kids, put them down for their naps and then Mr Taylor. you can help me take my nap.” Brian tells me, kissing my neck.


“You don’t want to look into the things we were talking about?” I ask.


“Nope, it’s something that can wait for tomorrow. Today we live our lives.” He tells me.