- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I posted this on the wrong story so it's fixed now.

BRIAN


“A fixed point in time, what the hell does that mean?” I ask.


“It can mean a lot of things. In some cases it’s just something that has to happen in order for other events to occur. In this case I don’t think that’s what Lindsay was telling Michael. She said it was something that exists in this timeline and in other timelines?” Marty asks Michael.


“Yeah, but it sounded like she didn’t think we could figure out what it was.” Michael tells us.


“So it’s not something obvious, like the streetlight. Which was something that was pivotal in my mind to you and Justin meeting.” Marty tells me.


“It seems to be the one way they prevented, but it didn’t get them what they wanted.” I tell him.


“It’s also where we meet, so it fits with the beginning Lindsay told Michael.” Justin adds.


“It depends on what you consider the beginning. Beginning doesn’t necessarily mean where you met, but possibly when you realized what you really wanted from each other.” Marty tells us.


“When did you know Brian wanted the same thing, and when did Brian know he really loved you?” Emmett asks.


“I would say prom, but after, Brian and I were…”


“In the first life, it was when you told me I didn’t lose everything.” I tell him.


“In front of Woody’s?” He asks.


“I lost everything, but you let me know I didn’t lose you.” I tell him.


“It could also be when you proposed, at that point Lindsay lost her mind.” Justin tells me.


“It would have been easier to answer that for you, if Michael had paid attention.” Marty tells us, looking at Michael.


“I didn’t want to mess up again by listening to her. If you and the Big Guy have this connection why aren’t you asking him?” Michael asks.


“When the Big Guy levels the playing field he leaves it up to us and free will, it gives the others a chance to see the error in their ways and redeem themselves.” He tells us.


“What about having a reason to go back?” Justin asks.


“I think making sure the time line stays extinct is all that matters.” Marty tells us.


“Think or know?” I ask.


“Know, okay?” Marty gives in.


“All we can do is try. I don’t want to sit around waiting for them to pull us back.” Justin tells me.


“Um, I remembered something.” Michael tells us.


“What?” I ask when he sits there.


“Apparently when you go back, since they didn’t take you back, you’ll be in a timeline with yourself, if that makes any sense. I didn’t remember, but probably because I didn’t get it.” Michael tells us.


“What does that mean?” Emmett asks.


“I don’t know.” Marty tells us, looking confused.


“What do you think?” I ask Justin.


“It sounds like you and I would go back as us now in the timeline, with us then.” Justin tells me.


“Yikes, a world with two of each of you.” Emmett laughs.


“What happens if we meet ourselves?” I ask Marty.


“I don’t know, it’s never happened. Do yourselves a favor and try not to let it happen.” Marty tells us.


JUSTIN


We started out at the streetlight, just in case Michael was wrong, but nothing happened. We tried the loft, still nothing. As we walked towards Woody’s I could feel something different, it was like there was something waiting for us to come there. It was early morning so there wasn’t anyone around to watch us trying to figure out what we were doing.


“Do you think this is where we really began?” I asked Brian.


“I no longer denied in my head what we were when we stood here the night of Stockwell’s loss.” He tells me.


“You told me that when we were here in the last life. When you think about it, we stayed together after this, even with California and cancer.” I tell him.


We stood on the steps, but Brian moved below me and told me to stay on the step that put me at the same height as him. I couldn’t resist and kissed him without having to lean up to reach him. We got so lost in the kiss that I didn’t notice anything but us. Then I was alone on the steps and I noticed a guy staring at me, and it was early evening. The guy shook his head as he came to the steps.


“No more drugs tonight, I could have sworn you weren’t here when I started walking up here.” The guy mutters as he passed me.


I walked over to the newspapers and checked the date, it was four days before we met in front of Babylon. I didn’t know what to think, since Brian didn’t come with me. Not really knowing where to go, I went in and sat in the corner of the bar. It was great that I wasn’t seventeen and no one questioned when ordered a drink. I sat around trying to think up a plan as to what to do. Brian walked in with his arm slung around Michael. Ted and Emmett coming in behind them. I watched as he eyed every guy in the room, not noticing me at first. Michael ran to get drinks while Emmett and Ted got a table. I lowered my head when Brian looked in my direction but Michael managed to get his attention so he didn’t look directly at me. Michael rolled his eyes looking at me, then carried drinks to the table as Brian said something to the bartender and then followed Michael. I looked at his retreating back, then to the bartender when he came up to me with a drink.


“I didn’t order that.” I tell him.


“I was told to get you what you were drinking and let you know that your drinks were on Brian for the night.” He tells me.


I downed the drink and decided to get out before Brian decided to introduce himself. I got halfway down the sidewalk, when Brian touched my shoulder. It took me a second to remember this was Brian before he met me, I was too busy staring at him.


“Leaving without thanking me for the drink?” He asks.


“I didn’t want to upset your friend. I need to go find someone anyway.” I tell him.


“I can come with you, nothing going on here.” He tells me.


Brian followed me, not even caring that he had no clue where I was going. He kept giving me strange looks, as if he couldn’t figure out why he was following me. I finally saw Marilyn walking down the street ahead of us, and ran to catch up to her.


“Marilyn, can I talk to you?” I ask.


“You actually want to talk to her?” Brian asks.


“You shouldn’t have brought him with you.” She tells me.


“He followed me, I didn’t tell him to come.” I tell her.


“I’m standing right here.” Brian lets us know.


“Why isn’t my Brian here?” I ask her.


“I could be your Brian for the night.” Brian tells me.


“When did his pick up lines suck this bad?” I ask.


“He’s most likely confused at why he followed you, let's get him off the street before people question what’s happening to the Stud of Liberty Avenue.” She tells me, when Brian started sniffing my neck.


“How about we leave her and I fuck you all night long.” Brian whispers.


“You can do that when you meet him later.” Marilyn tells him.


We followed Marilyn to her place and Brian wouldn’t stop touching me. I kept thinking it wasn’t cheating when it was Brian, right?


“You can figure that out when you go back, right now we need for this one to stop.” She tells me as Brian starts running his hands under my shirt.


“How?” I ask.


“Brian, Justin wants commitment.” Marilyn tells him, which stilled his hands for a second.


“I don’t do commitment.” He tells me, licking my neck.


“Not yet.” I tell him, making him drop his hands and sit down.


Marilyn pulls me away from him to talk, when he gets a call from Michael.


“Why didn’t Brian come with me?” I ask.


“I don’t know, but what are you doing in the wrong timeline?” She asks me.


“You don’t know?” I ask.


“I knew to look for you, but not why yet.” She tells me.


“You told Ted who was pulling us here.” I tell her.


“When?” She asks.


“Four days from now, right after Gus is born.” I tell her.


“Gus?” Brian asks, wrapping his arms around me.


“Your son’s name is going to be Gus.” I tell him, while Marilyn glares at me.


“How did you know Lindsay?” He asks me.


“Lindsay’s here?” I ask them both.


“Yeah, but now that I think about it I haven’t seen her in a few days.” Brian tells me, letting me go to pull out his phone and call someone.


Marilyn and I walked to the other side of the loft, while he was busy on the phone.


“What’s wrong with him?” I ask.


“You’re his soulmate. His head might not know, but it’s there.” She tells me.


“Why don’t you remember talking to Ted?” I ask.


“Because I haven’t done it yet. What am I supposed to tell Ted?” She asks.


“You tell him the people who seem to think if they fuck our lives up that theirs will change.” I tell her.


“Who are they?” She asks.


“Craig, Gardner, Sierra, Rita, Kenneth, Tad and Ethan.” I tell her, looking back at Brian when he muttered Ian.


“Okay, so I know what to tell Ted.” She tells me.


“How do I get back? I forgot to ask.” I tell her.


“How did you get here?” She asks.


“I hate when you answer with a question.” I tell her.


“Seriously, how did you get here?” She asks.


“I kissed Brian on the steps of Woody’s.” I tell her.


“There’s Brian, after you deal with your father, get him to the steps of Woody’s.” He tells me.


“I have to deal with Craig first?” I ask.


“Yes, it’s why you're here without Brian. Each of you has to deal with the person who screwed up your life. Once they realize they can’t win, then you live happily where you're supposed to be now.” She tells me.


“Lovely, just what I’ve managed to avoid in the other timeline, Craig.” I tell her, going out her door.


“Where are you going?” Brian asks.


“To deal with my homophobic father.” I tell him.


“Need any help?” He ask.


“Nope. It’s something I need to do on my own, you can’t always save me.” I tell him.


“Have I ever?” He asks, probably thinking I’m batshit crazy.


“Do me a favor, meet me on the front step at Woody’s at midnight.” I tell him.


“Why?” He asks.


“I’ll save the last dance for you.” I tell him.


Brian nodded and went to get in his jeep. I could see the confusion in his eyes as he followed me, but I couldn’t explain it to him, he wouldn’t believe me. I laughed when the bus pulled to a stop, it was sign that I need to deal with my father.


I got off the bus in front of Craig’s store. I knew he was still there when I saw his car. It was just weird, because he left my seventeen year old self this morning and is about to face me now at thirty. It's an age he never saw, because we never saw each other after the one time I went to him for help for college in this timeline. In the second timeline we didn’t even acknowledge each other after he tried to send me to straight camp.


I walked in and found him standing in front of a display. He didn’t notice that I wasn’t the Justin he knew, but asked why I was here instead of home doing my homework.


“I decided it was better to do it this way, so Mom doesn't wonder why there are two of me walking around.” I tell him.


He looked at me, then started backing away. “Who are you?” He asks.


“You know who I am, and I know that you seem to think screwing my life up will change something. So either we talk now or you can sit in hell with Lindsay later. It's where she ended up when she thought she could screw with my life. But then, maybe that's where you want to be. It's the only reason I could come up with for what the little group you're supporting is doing.” I tell him.


“I'm insuring my place and yours in Heaven. Don't you see what will happen if Brian gets his hands on you? Only this time I know how to keep you from making that mistake.” He tells me.


“I'm sure that's what Lindsay hopes will happen. But since every life I live is with Brian, and somehow we get to the pearly gates and through them, your logic is faulty. It's not your place to judge my life, when all you ever did was fuck up yours. Since I know you, I doubt my soul is anything you care about, so how about we get down to what you get out of this. Because one thing Brian always had right was no one does something unless they have something to gain.” I tell him.


“What would I have to gain, other than a son I could respect?” He sneers.


“Let's see, there's jealousy, which I could see since Brian’s company becomes the biggest Advertising company in the world. Greed, which makes sense because you came from a working class background, one that none of the country club members respect. Now love had me stumped for a bit, but then you love the life you had, with Mom playing her part as the devoted housewife. Is that it, that she left you and found out she could take care of herself and that not being your wife wasn't the end of her world?” I ask.


“She fucking had another child, while I couldn’t because I was sterile. Do you know what it was like to find out I couldn’t have more kids? I prayed for a son who I could be proud of, but you were it. The end of my line.” He sneers.


“So what, you decided that I'm somehow going to change?” I ask.


“No. But right now your mother can still have a child, and unlike before, she's still in love with the life I gave her. Once she's pregnant again, I honestly couldn’t care less what you do, because I'll fight her for my son.” He tells me.


“So Molly isn't good enough, but this fictional son is? What happens if it's a girl? Because you know Mom’s next child was a girl. I doubt she'll be willing to try again once you and I play this life out in the same roles.” I tell him.


“Not in the life I tried on you.” He smirks.


“Considering you never had any more children in that life either, it's a stretch to think you will. Maybe you're already sterile? Ever think of that? Understand one thing, you aren’t just screwing with my fate, but yours. I seem to have God on my side, you have the devil's own on yours. Do yourself a favor and get out before you find out what Lindsay did.” I tell him.


“God wouldn’t want a faggot.” He tells me.


“I'll have to ask him for you, since I've been there. Strangely, I've never seen you there, I wonder why.” I tell him.


“I don’t believe you.” He tells me, looking worried.


“Do yourself a favor and walk away from the bargain you made, because you're dealing with the devil.” I tell him.


“I will not lose everything so you and Brian can live like kings. You want to know what happens to me? I lose everything because of you and Brian.” He tells me.


“Greed it is. What did they tell you? Because we might never have talked again, but you were still in business when you died. So if they told you Brian and I bankrupted you, we didn’t. You meant nothing to us. You have the chance to redeem yourself by not helping the others, but only if you stop what you're doing.” I tell him.


“You're breaking the rules by being here.” He tells me.


“Actually he isn't Grandfather. He's trying to save you, when he really should leave you to your fate.” Kira tells him.


“Kira, should you be here?” I ask, seeing the shimmering ghost of my daughter.


“They figured he wouldn’t believe you. I came to show him his future.” She tells me, holding out her hands to Craig. “Take my hands, and see where this path will lead you.” She says as she clasps his hand. He turned white and screamed. “Yeah, hell isn't pretty is it?” She asks him.


“Hopefully he gets it. I have to go back now. See you soon Daddy.” She tells me, surrounding me with her warmth. “ I can’t help Dad when he comes, but Uncle Mikey will.” She whispers before disappearing.


“Are we done, do you get it yet?” I ask, and he nods.


Taking one last look at my sperm donor, I walked away, glad that's all he was in the life Brian and I were going to make. I looked at the time and realized Brian should be waiting for me soon.


He was sitting on the steps, still confused. It was probably because he didn't get why he agreed to meet me, when he could be getting laid. I sat next to him, thinking in a few days his world was going to change.


“I need to tell you something before I go.” I tell him.


“Why would you think I want to listen?” He asks.  


“Because part of you knows you want to, even if it doesn't make sense.” I tell him.


“Fine. What?” He asks.


“You were worth everything we went through in this life. When I tell you I love you, believe that I always did and always will.” I tell him, then kiss him goodbye. I opened my eyes to see Brian standing in front of me, not moving. He took a breath then looked around disappointed.


“It didn’t work?” He asks.


“I just got back. I think you and Michael have to go together this time.” I tell him.


“Lovely. But what the hell is the beginning of us? I'm not finishing a hand job.” He tells me, cringing.