- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Sunshine was Lorie's sister-in-law's first dog when she moved out on her own.

Chapter 11 - A Dog's Life

 

So, who knew this parenting shit was going to be so fucking complicated?

 

Not that I'd spent much time thinking about it, of course - single gay man here - but to whatever extent I had bothered to contemplate the issue, I guess I just assumed it would be no big deal. They're kids, you're the adult, just tell them what to do and if they don't comply, make them. What's complicated about that? Right?

 

What I, like most other non-parents, had failed to take into consideration, is that children are little people. They're not blank slates or mindless machines waiting for us adults to show them the way. Each and every child has his or her own personality. They have their own opinions, even at a really young age, and can be just as stubborn at asserting them as any grown up. Just like you or I wouldn't just blindly obey someone else's directives, as they grow and learn and begin to assert their individual identities, they often resist their parents directives. So it's really not as easy as just telling them what to do and assuming they'll do it.

 

You learn that lesson pretty damn quick when you have to take on a parenting role. You learn that give and take is essential to a peaceful existence. If you try and fight every single battle to the death, so to speak, you'll get tired pretty damn quickly. You also understand the truth behind that old statement, ‘Choose Your Battles Wisely'.

 

Whereas before, I'd kinda looked down on all the losers I'd see in the store giving in to their offspring just to avoid a tantrum, I now know the strategic benefit of an occasional bribe. I've become adept at heading off the very possibility of a crying fit or late day meltdown. I am getting quite good at the art of parental distraction. I have become an appeaser rather than a fighter.

 

So, you see, if I give in to my Midget more than is strictly necessary, it's not JUST because I care about the little guy more than I ever thought I would . . .  

 

.:G:. .:G:. .:G:. .:G:. .:G:.

 

Justin was a little upset that Brian hadn't mentioned getting together again before they'd parted after the ‘non-date'. He was hoping that Brian had felt the same kind of connection that he had. But, for some reason that hadn't yet been fully explained, he sensed that Brian was a little reluctant to get involved, so he just wasn't sure how this whole thing would play out. Not that he was going to give up on Brian, though. He decided that if Brian didn't call by the weekend he would just call himself.

 

Back at the loft, Brian was busy getting his midget chatterbox settled, reading another Aesop's Fables story, and then tucking him in, before heading up to the roof to relax. He, also, had been hoping that Justin would suggest getting together again, but the blond hadn't said anything. Brian wasn't one to just wait around, though. He had always been proactive about getting his needs met. So, after steeling his nerves and quashing his misgivings about being seen as running after the blond, he decided he would just call the blond himself.

 

Justin looked at his phone, smiling as he answered, "Miss me already, Big Guy?"

 

"Actually, I do," Brian admitted, surprising them both with his candor. "It was the best ‘sort of' a date I've ever had."

 

"Thanks . . . I think," Justin laughed at the stubborn brunet's reluctance to admit their dinner qualified as a real date.

 

"I'm going to be busy at work the next couple of days," Brian stated, boldly pushing on to the topic of greatest weight without further delay. "But I was wondering if you and Molly had any plans for Saturday?"

 

"Nope, no plans. If we do anything on the weekends, we usually just go to the zoo or the park."

 

"What do you do at the park?"

 

"I usually sketch while Molly goes on the swings or lays in the grass reading."

 

"That sounds like something the Midget would enjoy. How would you like to have some company at the park and then we could come back here and have another cookout?" Brian offered.

 

"That sounds perfect, Brian."

 

"Okay then. We could pick you two up around ten?"

 

"That would be great. We'll see you Saturday. Oh, and Brian, tonight was phenomenal," Justin added, just to make sure the Big Guy knew how much he'd enjoyed himself.

 

"I aim to please."

 

"You definitely did that. Of course I may not be able to sit down until Saturday," Justin teased, although he secretly loved the twinges in his ass caused by their earlier activities and definitely looked forward to the weekend when he'd get to see the guy that engendered those twinges. "Later, Big Guy."

 

"Later, Twat."

 

.:G:. .:G:. .:G:. .:G:. .:G:.

 

The next couple of days sped by without much drama. Gus was loving his preschool and was more than happy to get there every morning, leaving Brian free to work without midget assistance at Kinnetik. Brian, for his part, was getting better at not worrying about the kid all day, which was a relief to his co-workers who'd been getting a little fed up with Brian's distracted airs. The only thing that was bothering Brian now, was his uncertainty about whatever was happening between him and Justin.

 

The stud had awakened the morning after his non-date with a butt load of misgivings about how out of character he'd acted. He couldn't believe he'd actually taken Justin on a date in the first place. But it hadn't been as bad as he'd expected - he'd actually had a lot of fun with the playful little twat. And then, after dinner, he'd had even more fun with Justin. The sex had been truly amazing, to be honest, and even the fact that it had been the younger man's first time bottoming hadn't slowed them down much. Brian couldn't remember the last time he'd had such an enjoyable time with someone. Which is precisely what scared the shit out of him.

 

So Brian had done what he always did when something was troubling him - he'd ignored it completely. He'd tried to put all his concerns aside and just pretend they didn't exist. To effectuate that, he'd had to also forced himself not to call or answer the messages from the blond, because, well, he just didn't know what to say to Justin or how to react to him. He WAS looking forward to seeing the blond again, but it felt like something he shouldn't want. Like something that was too good to be true. And it was definitely completely out of character for a solitary stud like Brian Kinney. If it hadn't been for the Midget, who was clearly looking forward to going with Molly to the park on the weekend, Brian might have even cancelled. But since he couldn't disappoint the kid, he just texted Justin to confirm the time of their meetup and said nothing else.

 

.:G:. .:G:. .:G:. .:G:. .:G:.

 

Brian and Gus picked up Justin and Molly at ten Saturday morning and they headed off to the Taylor's favorite park. Despite their age differences, Molly and Gus seemed to get along extremely well. Molly acted the part of a doting older sister whose job was to educate her younger sibling, and Gus, for his part, hung on every word the preteen said with open idol worship. While the little group drove to their destination, the two kids sat in the back and discussed what they wanted to do at the park. Brian and Justin listened quietly from the front seat, amused by the detailed agenda the children were outlining for all of them.

 

Once at the park, the kids darted off to the main play structure, leaving Brian and Justin to take a seat together on a shady bench nearby. Despite how eager they'd been to see each other again, both men felt a bit shy this morning. Brian was at a complete loss as to how he was supposed to act. He'd never actually had a second ‘date' before. Due to his longstanding ‘One Fuck Only' policy, Brian rarely had anything at all to do with somebody once he'd fucked them. He seriously had no idea how he was supposed to act around Justin now. What was he supposed to say? Were they going to just sit around and pretend like all that glorious fucking Wednesday night hadn't happened? Why was this shit so hard? No wonder Brian had always refused point blank to do dating or relationships of any kind if it was this difficult.

 

Justin, for his part, was busy trying to restrain himself from gushing at the more reserved Brian. He didn't want to scare Brian off by assuming that their night together meant more than was apparent or by acting too possessive. That being said, he was dying to kiss the man silly. Since Brian hadn't made any moves towards renewing their intimacy, though, Justin held back too.

 

However, when the uncomfortable silence finally got to be too much, Brian was the one to break first. "Fuck it! Looks like I've turned into a fucking lesbian and I can't do anything about it. So, would you please get your pretty boy ass over here and kiss me already, Twat!" he ordered, lifting his arm to wrap it around the smaller man's shoulders and using that leverage to pull Justin closer.

 

Justin broke out in a blinding, sunshiney grin and promptly scooted over so he could kiss the hell out of the tempting raspberry-red lips he hadn't been able to stop thinking about all week. And damn if it wasn't just as good as he'd remembered. Before he knew what was happening, the two men were so caught up in their kissing that they were lost to the world.

 

"See, Molly. Toldja they'd figger it out." The kissing was eventually interrupted by Gus' piping voice. "B'ine can't keep up his growliness when his Booty is around. I knewed they'd be all kissy and stuffs." The child beamed happily at the men who were still hugged up to each other, before tilting his head to the side and looking concerned. "Molly, why's your brother all red likes that? Maybe he's gettin' a sunburn? B'ine, you bedder makes him put on more sun scween."

 

"Nah. Jester just turns red like that all the time," the older and wiser Molly explained. "You should have seen how red he got that one time when I caught him and his friend Daniel playing cops and robbers. All I did was ask if I could take his handcuffs to school for show and tell."

 

By that point Justin was redder than a boiled lobster and had buried his head in Brian's shoulder to hide his further embarrassment. Brian found it all very amusing. He wouldn't mind playing a little cops and robbers himself, now that he knew the blond was into that kind of thing. Good to know. But he couldn't let the kids continue to tease his blond boy, so he quickly shooed them off, telling them to go play and leave Justin's ‘sunburn' to him. Gus willingly complied, racing Molly to the large swing set across the way, and allowing Justin to finally come up for air. After that, the boys kept their ‘kissy stuff' to a minimum so they wouldn't encourage more teasing from the kids.

 

For the rest of the morning, both adults sat and chatted and watched Gus and Molly dart around the playground. The kids seemed to be having the time of their lives. Then, just as it was getting on towards lunchtime, Brian noticed Gus looking off distractedly into the distance.

 

The boy's attention quickly became focused on several vans pulling up on the other side of the park. Grabbing Molly's hand, Gus started dragging her to where the vans had parked. It looked like the people that came with the vans were busy unloading interesting looking crates. Brian had seen the kids taking off and he and Justin immediately followed after the twosome. As they got closer, they saw that the vans were adorned with the logo of a local animal shelter - the Western PA Humane Society. Gus and Molly were standing nearby, watching with eager curiosity as the shelter workers bustled around, setting out crates containing dogs, cats, and other animals up for adoption.

 

The kids seemed drawn to the scene like magnets. Gus tugged impatiently at Molly's hand, urging her nearer and nearer to the boiling mess of equipment and workers, eventually edging right up to the closest pile of crates being set out in a semi-circle on the grass by a volunteer. Smiling at the two interested kids, the volunteer set down his latest armload - a mid-sized dog carrier - and addressed them.

 

"Hey, Kids. You wanna meet our furry friends? Don't stick your hands in the cages, because you might scare the poor things, but feel free to look at them and talk to them all you want."

 

Gus was bouncing on his toes, obviously happy that he could see and talk to the animals. The boy proceeded to wander back and forth, peeking into each and every crate and saying ‘hi' to all the animals. Gus explained to Molly, who was following her younger friend's example, that dogs were better for boys than cats. Cats were for girls.

 

Brian stood back, watching the kids and enjoying how well they got along. Justin seemed equally amused. Both the men found themselves laughing at the humorous things their young wards were saying. Suddenly Gus stopped in front of one of the cages, inside of which was a medium sized dog with a tan and white face, a collar of white fur around her neck and black fur on her back. Her feet and belly were white, her legs were tan and she had what looked like a tan ring of fur all around, and her tail was a mix of all her colors. She was sitting up and wagging her fluffy tail and seemed to be smiling at the kids outside her cage.

 

"Look, Molly! She's smiling at me. B'ine, Jussin, look! She wants me to be her boy," Gus said excitedly. "I always wisheded for a dog, too."

 

"Not a chance, Gus. I need a dog about as much as I need a third ball. You can look, but you're not getting a fuuuu . . . a damn dog," Brian told the boy, whose smile faded abruptly.

 

Gus looked sadly at Brian, the tears welling up in his eyes and his lip starting to quiver. "But pwease, B'ine, I alreddy love her and I have no one to love me. Pwetty pwease."

 

"Shit," Brian muttered under his breath. He looked over to Justin for help, but the blond looked like he was starting to tear up seeing the sad face of the little boy. "Help me out here, Justin. What the hell do I do now? I don't want or need a damned dog," Brian asked the blond.

 

"I don't have a clue, Brian. Gus and that dog look like they bonded the minute they saw each other," Justin answered, sniffling just a bit

 

Brian looked over at the two kids. Now they were both tearing up too. Even one of the shelter workers who had overheard the exchange looked at him like he was being some kind of heartless tyrant. Then Brian glanced toward the dog in the crate. He saw big sad eyes that seemed to be begging for him to let her have this boy that she so desperately needed. She blinked at him a couple of times, as if pleading with him to allow her to have a life outside of a cage, where any day could be her last if there were too many new dogs picked up. Shit! That was the very definition of ‘puppy-dog eyes'. Stupid damn dog. Stupid midgets! Stupid . . . whatever Justin was. What the hell was he supposed to do here? He did NOT need this shit. He looked back at the kid just as one big, fat tear slipped out of the corner of his eye and rolled down the Gus' plump cheek . . .

 

"Aww, fuuuuzzball . . . Dammit! Fine. We'll get the damned dog," Brian growled, not seeing any other option, but not at all happy about it.

 

"Yayyyyyy!" The cheer from the two kids and Justin was almost deafening.

 

"Whatever," Brian grumbled, feeling like he'd just been coerced into something and hoping that, when Lindsey did reappear, she wouldn't be too upset that she'd be taking home a dog along with her kid.

 

Going over to the table set up with clipboards Brian asked about what they had to do to get the dog. "You need to fill this out and we need to see identification. Do you have any other pets?" The woman asked him.

 

"Do I look like I have pets?" Brian barked back then sighed. He knew she must have heard the exchange that had just gone on a few feet from her. She opened up her laptop as she looked at Brian's driver's license and typed in the information.

 

"What are you checking for?" he asked, confused.

 

"We need to check for any animal abuse complaints against anyone wanting to adopt an animal. There are a lot of people who come to these adoptions looking for bait animals, unfortunately."

 

"That's disgusting. People who do that should be treated the same way they treat the animals. I may not be thrilled that the Midget is blackmailing me into getting a pup, but I would never hurt it," Brian answered honestly. The woman smiled and nodded, instinctively knowing that he was telling the truth.

 

Once the paperwork was finished, Brian looked around for Justin and the kids. He found them by the carrier, they were all anxiously waiting for the worker to get the approval so the dog could be let out of her carrier. Brian just shook his head. Justin looked almost as excited as the kids. Once Brian paid the adoption fee and had the paperwork in his hand he went over to the volunteer and handed him the card. The volunteer unlatched the cage, attached a collar and leash to the dog and handed them to Brian. Brian handed Justin the leash while he read over the paperwork. The dog was a female, about two years old and had been spayed at the shelter, she had been picked up as a stray a month before. Very kid-friendly and had never shown any aggression toward anyone or anything.

 

Gus and Molly were already rolling around on the grass with their new friend. The dog was cavorting and wiggling and yipping out friendly little barks of happiness just like the kids. The whole roiling mess of them - kids and dog alike - were smiling. Justin, who was hovering over the group was smiling too, a great big smile that stretched from one ear to the other and was almost as bright as the warm midday sun above. Brian couldn't help smiling at the tableau himself, even though he was already second guessing his actions. But what the fuck, right?

 

"Well, I guess we need to get some stuff for her," Brian announced as he stopped next to where Justin was standing. "Dogs need shit like food and crap, right? So, what are we going to do with her while we shop?" Brian asked.

 

"We can take her with us, Brian. Most of the big pet stores allow you to bring the animals with you." Justin answered, smiling.

 

"Seriously? Okay, well, let's go to the Jeep. And, Justin, I hope you know where one of these stores is, because I haven't got a clue."

 

"Hey, Gus. What are you going to call her?" Justin asked the boy, who was helping hold the leash and staring lovingly at the pup.

 

"I'm gunna call her ‘Sunshine'. She has a yellow face like the sun and the sunny ring of fur around her head. And she has a sunny smile just like you, Jussin." Gus answered, nodding his head as if agreeing with himself.

 

"Well, he's definitely right about the smile, you do light things up with yours," Brian whispered to the blond, making the younger man blush.

 

"Nice name, Gus. So, from now on, you need to look at her and say ‘Sunshine' whenever you talk to her so she learns her new name, okay?" Justin told the very excited child.

 

"Okay, Jussin. I'll teaches her her name in the car so's she knows it real good."

 

By that point, they were back at the Jeep. The two kids scrambled into the back seat easily, Molly doing up her own seatbelt handily and Gus getting in his booster seat then waiting until Brian fastened the seatbelt around him. But the puppy had a bit of trouble making the jump up to the floorboard of the rather tall vehicle. Brian ended up lifting the squirming mass of wiggling puppy up to the seat so that she could join her kids in the back. They would need to get a car harness for her too, he thought, making a mental note to add that to their shopping list. Then he walked around the front and got into the driver's seat himself. With a quick Google search using his phone, Justin got the address of the closest pet store and before you knew it the entire expedition was off.

 

Once they arrived at the store, Justin helped the kids and the dog out of the car and trailed them into the store, with Brian bringing up the rear of the cavalcade. Sunshine was already tugging on the leash, trying to get inside and apparently following some intriguing scent to a far corner of the facility. Brian reminded Gus and Molly not to go off by themselves while he got a cart. Justin was trying to help hold the scampering puppy back despite how hard the little beast was tugging on the leash. Brian asked Gus if he wanted to ride in the cart, thinking that might make things more manageable.

 

"No, B'ine, I wanna hold Sunshine's leash. I be really caaful. Pwease?"

 

"Okay, Gus, but you need to stay right next to Justin or me, okay?"

 

"Yes, B'ine, I pwomise."

 

They wandered the store, Gus staying right near Brian and holding tightly to the leash. The dog's initial, overly enthusiastic tugging on the leash had quieted down a bit, so Justin had let go his hold, allowing Gus to assume full control with occasional help from Molly. Brian watched carefully, not sure what the dog would do while being held by a little kid. She was great, though. The dog would walk when he did and stop right next to him if he stopped. It was obvious she was already pretty well leash-trained.

 

The group of them wandered through the store for several minutes, picking up items as they went. Brian was amazed at the sheer size of the store. He'd had no fucking idea that so much pet shit even existed. Who the fuck bought all this crap? I mean, sure, you needed a food dish and a water bowl, maybe a few toys, but a whole warehouse full of them? And the bedding, furniture, accessories, etc? The aisles and aisles of pet clothing left him speechless. How much of this crap did he have to shell out money for after all? This was fucking insanity at the highest level, Brian thought.

 

After several minutes of wandering through the emporium of all things pet, Gus' new dog started looking around, pulling at the leash a bit more and kind of whimpering. Brian looked at Justin to see if he understood - he certainly didn't speak ‘dog'. Was the animal trying to get him to buy one of the fleece-lined dog beds they'd just walked past?

 

Looking first at the whining puppy and then at Gus, Justin told the boy, "Gus, I think Sunshine needs to go potty. We should take her outside."

 

"Okay, Jussin, let's go," Gus answered and the two of them headed towards the exit, stopping at the counter for a bag ‘just in case' on their way.

 

Justin smiled over his shoulder at Brian and waggled his eyebrows as he followed after the boy. Brian rolled his eyes, not looking forward the the prospect of scooping up dog shit for the rest of the time Gus was with him. He was glad it was Justin doing it this time around. In the meantime, Brian was happy to continue shopping with Molly. That was much more Brian's speed and the girl seemed to enjoy the shopping just as much as he did. Maybe he could work out some way to make sure Justin was the official dog walker and pooper scooper? Hmmm. He'd have to work on that . . . Gus sure couldn't walk the dog on his own.

 

Coming back into the store a few minutes later, Justin told Brian, "I think you may have lucked out with this one, she seems like she is really well trained. She was quite polite about doing her business. She also seems to be really good with Gus."

 

"Good. At least that's one good thing. I wonder how much training she's already had? We'll try some commands when we get back to the loft and see what happens."

 

While Justin and Gus had been with the dog outside, Brian had given up his random perusal of the huge pet store and checked with one of the workers about what kinds of things he would need for the dog. By the time the Poop Patrol had gotten back, Brian and Molly had loaded their cart with all the essentials - food, puppy pads (he figured it would be a good idea - just in case), a couple of bowls, and some toys. He decided that Gus could pick out the leash, collar, and a bed.

 

When Justin came back with Gus and the dog, Brian told Gus he could pick out the rest of what they needed for Sunshine. Gus picked out a bright yellow collar and leash. When it came to the bed though, Brian convinced him that a bright yellow bed would probably keep the dog awake. Justin covered his mouth and tried not to laugh at Brian's reasoning, knowing that Brian just didn't want something like that clashing with his decor. After further thought, Gus picked out a soft brown cushiony bed for her, making Brian smile. Then Brian hurried them over to the checkout line before he went broke.

 

Which is how Brian Kinney ended up being a not-so-proud dog owner.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

7/15/17