- Text Size +

BRIAN


Cole and I were sitting outside on the patio while everyone helped clean up the kitchen before leaving. He spent most of the evening with Gus in his lap, telling us he missed when his grandchildren were this easy, back before Justin was a felon. Justin came outside with Gus, telling us everyone was going, but he’d see them out, handing me Gus to say goodnight to. I knew he wanted to give us time to get to know each other.


“I’m really proud of Justin for doing what he wanted instead of what his father expected,” Cole tells me.


“He doesn’t really talk about his father, but then again, I never really talk about mine,” I tell him.


“He wasn’t as close to Craig as he was to Jen. Craig died not knowing his son was gay. Only because Justin wasn’t ready to tell us yet.” He tells me.


“I made the mistake of telling my dying father I was gay, it didn’t really change anything,” I tell him.


“I think Justin knew it would change things, and not for the better if Craig knew.” He tells me.


“I take it you didn’t really like Craig,” I tell him.


“He cared how people viewed his family, and wanted to project the perfect nuclear family. There’s no such thing.” He tells me.


“Sounds like my mother, who tried to project that we were the perfect Catholic family. Only she ignored everything that said we were everything you never wanted to call your family.” I tell him.


“What made you tell your father?” He asks.


“My pseudo mother thought it might help bring us closer,” I tell him.


“I'm assuming it wasn’t something he was happy to hear?” He asks.


“We fought. Only this time I wasn't a kid. He did come over later with a picture of him and me, and he met Gus. It really didn’t matter, since he died soon after.” I tell him.


“I've never understood parents who don't cherish the children they were given. Watching you with your son tells me you were able to break the cycle in your family.” He tells me.


“Gus doesn’t need to track down his old man in the bar, hoping there's enough money left to feed the family and keep a roof over our heads,” I tell him.


“If you're wondering, I make my mind up based on the person, not where they come from. It wouldn't matter to Justin if I didn't like you, because I instilled in all my children and grandchildren that they were free to choose what they wanted in life. If Justin loves you, that's all I need to know.” He tells me.


“It wouldn’t matter what anyone thought. I don’t plan to lose him again,” I tell him.


JUSTIN


Brian’s phone was ringing at two in the morning, it went silent but immediately started up again. Brian reached over me to get it when it whoever it was called for a third time.


“This better be good… I'll be right there.” Brian tells whoever it is, hanging up.


“What's going on?” I ask when he started getting dressed.


“Vic got taken to the hospital.” He tells me.


“Let me leave a note for Granddad,” I tell him, getting up.


“You don’t have to come. Ted only called because Deb’s giving Rodney a hard time.” He tells me, upset, but not because of Deb.


“I know I only met him, but I'd like to be there for him and you,” I tell him.


Brian nodded getting dressed and I went to my grandfather’s room to find him talking on his phone. “We're heading to the hospital. A friend of Brian’s is there. It sounds like there might be trouble at the hospital.” I tell him. Granddad told me to call if I needed him. Brian was upset enough that he didn’t say anything when I drove us.


“He’s the closest thing I have to a father.” He tells me before we get out at the hospital.


The minute we walked in, Michael flew into Brian’s arms, crying as if Vic had died. Deb was down the hall ordering the nurse to bring the doctor to see her. Emmett was sitting with his arms around Rodney, talking quietly. Ted came over and let us know what he knew about Vic.


“The doctor is trying to figure out what's going on, but as you can see Deb thinks it's more important that he talk to her. We're about to run into a bigger problem.” Ted tells me.


“What?” I ask.


“Mel's on her way, Deb isn’t going to like what she hears. I have to wonder why we all put this on him.” He tells me.


“Brian?” I ask.


“Vic knew Brian would deal with things, not cause chaos.” He tells me.


“I need you. I would think your blond piece of ass could understand that.” Michael says loudly when Brian tried to come over to me.


Deb looked over, not liking that Brian brought me, I assumed. Then decided I was right when she started in on Brian.


“This isn't the time to upset Michael. We need you to be here for us.” Deb snaps.


“This isn't happening. Brian loves Vic, and bringing his partner with him is no different than Blake and Drew being here for Teddy and me. I didn’t hear any complaints when our partners came with us.” Emmett fumes.


“He doesn’t even know Vic, and all he cares about is keeping Brian to himself,” Michael tells him.


“I need to find out why the doctor won’t come and tell us what’s going on. This is bullshit. I’m his sister.” She tells Brian.


Mel comes in and goes to the nurses' station, passing by Deb and Michael when they were busy with Brian. She handed the nurse the paperwork she had with her then came into the waiting area and asked to speak to Brian.


“Whatever you and Lindsay need can wait,” Deb tells her.


“No, it really can’t, and it’s something Brian needs to know,” Mel tells her.


Brian disentangled Michael from him, walking over to me and taking me with him to follow Mel. Which only caused Michael and Deb to try and follow us, but got stopped by Drew blocking the way.


“Brian, I really wish I didn’t have to be the one to tell you. Vic asked that you be his POA. He said after the last time he didn’t want Deb making any decisions for him.” She tells him.


“What about Rodney?” He asks.


“He did this a few years ago, and most likely just didn’t think to update it. The nurse already knows everything comes to you first. Lindsay and I talked and she knows I’m staying because we know how Deb is going to react to this.” She tells him.


Brian takes the paperwork, asking Mel to give him a minute. “Justin this is going to get ugly.” He tells me, holding me.


“I’ll try not to make it worse, but I’m not leaving you to deal with this alone. I’m starting to really see what it was like for you.” I tell him.


I went to sit with Emmett when Deb and Michael crowded Brian. They could scream and shout, but I wasn’t letting Brian be alone. “Vic made Brian his POA,” I whisper to him.


“After seeing the mother and son team, I would say he made the right choice.” He tells me.


“Brian Kinney?” The doctor calls from the doorway.


“Why are you asking for Brian, I’m Vic’s sister?” Deb asks, confused.


“Yes,” Brian answers, walking towards the doctor.


“Excuse me, but I’m the person who you need to talk to,” Deb tells the doctor, trying to cut in front of Brian.


“Why don’t you and Brian step outside, I’ll explain things to the others,” Mel tells the doctor.


“I need to find out what’s going on,” Deb tells her, trying to walk out.


“You’ll have to wait for Brian to tell you,” Rodney tells her.


“What the fuck are you talking about, it should be Ma.” Michael screeches.


“They have to talk to the person Vic put in charge, which was Brian,” Mel tells them, causing both of them to start in on Mel.


“Both of you stop. Vic doesn’t need either of you questioning his decisions. You sat here yelling at Brian for bringing Justin when the biggest problem has been you two demanding the doctors stop treating Vic to talk to you. It really tells me Vic knew better than to choose either of you. It’s not Mel’s fault that Vic made this decision. It was HIS decision, she had nothing to do with it. You are both shouting it’s about Vic to Brian, but somehow think it’s all about you.” Blake tells them.


Deb sat down when Emmett shook his head at what she was about to say. When Brian came back Michael grabbed his hand and pulled him to sit with him and Deb. Blake sat next to me, as Brian talked to both of them. Michael looked over at me and smirked when Brian and Deb were talking. Brian got up and came over to the rest of us, to let us know that it wasn’t as bad as Deb’s crying made it sound.


“His kidneys are infected, but it’s common with HIV patients. Vic just needs to stay to make sure it’s cleared up. He wanted you to stay with him tonight. The doctor and I agree that he doesn’t need everyone here, he needs to rest.” Brian tells Rodney.


“Deb isn’t going to want to go,” Rodney tells Brian.


“Then she can stay in the waiting room unless Vic asks for her. The doctor already knows that. I’m going to take Deb and Michael to see him and then bring them out, so you can go in. Call me if he needs anything else. I’ll be back in the morning to meet with the doctor, and if you want to be there you can be.” Brian tells him.


“We’ll wait for you at the front of the hospital,” I tell him when I couldn’t see staying helping Brian.

 

 

“I’ll be down as soon as I make sure what Vic wants is done.” He tells me.


“Brian, why not tell him to go home. We need to stay here in case something happens. In fact, you and I should stay at the loft tonight, so we can get here if Vic needs us.” Michael tells him.


“That’s actually a good idea. Justin, do you mind if you and I stay in town tonight?” Brian asks me, not making Michael very happy.