- Text Size +

JUSTIN


After hearing what Deb said, Brian’s mood went downhill for the next week. He left early every morning, saying he wanted something to show Lee and me as a possible campaign for the new line of cars and needed to work. I left him alone because he was broadcasting loud and clear that it wasn’t something he wanted to talk about. It wasn’t like our past, but it reminded me of how he reacted when I asked about Michael. It wasn't something he could talk about, his feelings were too raw after hearing that Michael was scamming everyone. This morning when he got up at four to go to work I got up and decided to go to MacTaylor instead of crowding him.


“Why are you up?” Brian asks, grabbing his tie.


“I need to check on things at work, I might need to stay there a few days, but call if you need me and I’ll come right back,” I tell him, grabbing my keys.


“Why not drive home after work?” He asks.


“I would but you aren't here until ten or later lately. I can be back by the weekend when you don't have to go to work.” I tell him.


“I was planning on having my team work this weekend.” He tells me, which sounded like an excuse.


“Then call if you decide to work, I'll just stay out of the way,” I tell him, running out the door before we turned this into an argument.


I got into West Virginia as my phone rang and I debated letting it go to voicemail. This wasn't me trying to piss him off, I just wanted to give him time and space, where he could deal with what was bothering him.


“Brian, it's not a big deal if you need space,” I tell him.


“Why do you think I do?” He asks, sounding pissed.


There was still the memory of how these conversations went with us, and it was time to change the way I avoided arguing with him in the past because sex wasn’t an option right now. “If you didn't, then why are you staying at work all night, only coming home in time to sleep?” I ask.


“Planning a campaign takes time, it doesn't always make being home in time for dinner possible.” He tells me.


“Then you have three days to figure it out without worrying about coming home,” I tell him, hanging up.


I didn’t even go in the building but headed to the track. I wanted to clear my head before speaking to him again. Quinn didn’t ask but jumped into one of the other cars and followed me. I was driving in the one I planned to give Brian on his birthday. I almost sold it after we broke up, but I didn’t want anyone else to own it. I hooked up my iPod to the speakers and cranked up 'New Divide' by Linkin Park and hit the gas when my car hit the track. When I came to the first turn, the car’s rear fishtailed and I let off the gas to straighten her out and sped up on the straightaway. On the third lap, I saw Brian standing there, apparently still in a shitty mood. I slowed and stopped next to him and tossed him the keys.


“Take it easy on the corners, I don’t want to have to repair your car five minutes after I give it to you,” I tell him.


“Who the hell taught you to drive? The fucking thing almost flew off the track.” Brian tells me.


“I did, and he knew how to keep it from happening. Do you want to see what the car can do or bitch Justin out some more?” Quinn asks, getting back in his car.


“You lose and you buy drinks tonight,” I tell him.


BRIAN


I know it hasn’t been easy for Justin to be around me this week, but it wasn’t easy for me to feel like Michael valued our friendship as little as he did by lying about what the doctors told him so he could use it when I pulled away from him. When Justin got dressed and told me he wasn’t coming home tonight I wanted to lash out at him for acting like it wasn’t a big deal. When I called, I wanted to tell him I needed to him at home because it was other people I wanted space from, not him, so it pissed me off when he thought it was him.


Instead of going to work I showed up to talk to him and was told by Lee to go to the track. Which was in time to see him almost lose control of the car. It was barely a couple of seconds, but in a car, that’s all that matters. He didn’t stop but sped up and kept going, making me understand why Jen couldn’t watch what Justin did here. I wanted to yell at him but he stopped me by telling me to drive my car. My car?


“Do you give away cars to everyone?” I ask Justin as Quinn revs his engine.


“Nope. And I only give the cars I design to the people who they were made for, so Happy Birthday a bit early. Now go show Quinn your tail lights.” He tells me, kissing me.


“For luck?” I ask, holding on to him.


“No. This one was designed to be able to outpace every car but Britin, that race would only end with us in a tie.” He tells me.


Quinn was really a good loser for someone who raced for a living. When we all met at the local sports bar, I got to meet Daphne, who joked that if I wasn’t gay and in love with Justin, Quinn might have a run for his money. When Justin and Daphne took off to get drinks and wings, it left me sitting with Quinn.


“Justin only drives the way he did today when something is bothering him, but he also knows what the car can do. I only mention that because you looked like you were ready to throttle him when he pulled up.” He tells me.


“Accidents happen even when you do the right thing,” I tell him.


“Yeah they do, but normally because of other factors, like the road being slick, blind spots, or people doing stupid things that distract them from the fact they are driving a killing machine. Justin’s never done anything stupid because he loves his cars. Just to let you know, the car he designed for you was something he did after he came home from seeing you. Apparently, he didn’t like that you didn’t see your birthday as anything special. Do him a favor and just take the car, because he kept it after you and he broke up when there were people who offered to buy it from him. He told everyone there would only be one person for that car.” He tells me.


Justin and I were laying in bed that night when I finally told him why I’d been in a shitty mood all week. “I’ve always thought I could see through anything to the truth, but Michael managed to fool me, for four years. Every time he called it pulled me away from you. I left you in bed after you told me you loved me because Deb called in hysterics that Michael tried to overdose. When I got back he was perfectly fine. I spent six months not knowing where you were because Michael was still conning me. When I come home and you’re there, it shows me that Michael didn’t get what he wanted.” I tell him.


EMMETT


Ted called to tell me he wanted a night out, now that Brian was freeing the slaves from Kinnetik hell. Brian had been making them all work late to come up with a campaign for Justin and Lee. To the point that Blake was showing up with dinner in Ted’s office just to see him. I’d been waiting to see if the ‘Novotny Cold War’ ended yet. I think Antarctica has warmer winters than what the diner has been like when Michael shows up. Vic was even dodging both of them. We'd been staying away from the diner too, so we were surprised when we went to get something to eat only to walk in to see Deb blushing when apparently, the older gentleman in front of her said something. She nodded then wrote on her pad, tearing it out and handing it to him. She waited until he walked out to run over and give us the gossip.


“He asked me on a date,” Deb tells us excitedly.


“Who asked you on a date?” Michael asks, walking in.


The only answer Michael got was Deb walking into the kitchen, ignoring him.


“Who is she talking about?” Michael asks us.


Deb showed up, giving us orders that were for another table, so we gave the plates to the right people while Deb glared at Michael.


“Anything else will have to be ordered through Kiki because my days of being treated like your waitress are over.” She tells Michael, taking off her apron and grabbing her things before leaving.


“Since I’m going to be stuck with your mother’s tables and mine, I’m afraid I can’t serve you either,” Kiki tells Michael.


Michael turned to throw a dollar on Kiki’s tray. “That’s about all the service is worth to me.” He tells her.


“It’s more than you’ve ever left for anyone here before,” Kiki tells him.


“Can you believe the way Ma’s acting?” Michael asks, ignoring Kiki.


“Yes. I mean, you only lied to everyone for years, it really makes us wonder why you think any of us have any sympathy for you.” Blake tells him.


“The doctor was talking out of his ass and Ma jumped to conclusions,” Michael tells us.


“It would be more believable if Brian hadn’t made sure the guy was one of the best doctors in Pittsburgh. Which we need to talk about. How you plan to pay Brian back for the unnecessary visits he shouldn’t have been paying for in the first place?” Ted asks him.


Michael didn’t seem to want to answer Ted and walked out of the diner, saying Brian wouldn’t expect him to pay back the money. “Would he?” I ask Ted.


“I don’t know, but really he should. I really only said it because it will keep Michael away from Brian.” Ted tells me.