- Text Size +

BRIAN


I stood in front of the door that at one time in my life was a haven from my father. When it opened, Deb must have thought I was coming to apologize to her for the way I had spoken to her, because she started talking about having dinner at her house and inviting Emmett and Ted, like old times.


“When did Michael start talking to David again?” I ask her, not even saying hello.


“David calls all the time since the accident. He was concerned about Michael,” She tells me.


“It’s too bad he didn’t come here. Michael could have used a chiropractor,” I tell her.


“Michael didn’t want you and David fighting with each other. Although he’s probably thinking now that David would have been someone he could depend on, since YOU’RE too busy with Justin. David also doesn’t treat me the way you do. Instead, he’s as worried as I am about why Michael would do what he did to you,” She tells me.


“Do me a favor when you talk to David, tell him congratulations on Health Care Solutions. I didn’t know until tonight that he didn’t name his new practice in Portland the same as the one he had here,” I tell her.


“Why would it matter what he called his practice?” She asks.


“It doesn’t. Except for one thing,” I tell her.


“What?” She asks.


“Well apparently, David is somehow treating Michael in Pittsburgh, from Portland. You want to know how? So do I, since I was billed for it. Why not call the perfect son-in-law and ask him how he managed it? Then let him know he’ll need to answer that to my lawyer.” I tell her.


“Why would David do that? And I know Michael wasn’t right, but my son needs help, he doesn’t need you two fighting,” She tells me.


“I spent years helping your son. And the last four being CONNED into believing he was still hurt. How much more help do you think he deserves from me? When are you going to open your eyes and stop finding reasons to excuse your son for everything he does?” I ask her.


“Brian I don’t blame you for being mad about what he did, I was angry too. I know what he did was wrong but…”


“You keep saying what he did was wrong, but do you even believe yourself when it comes out of your mouth? It’s almost as repetitive as when Michael says something nasty and follows it with the line ‘I didn’t mean it the way it sounded'. All of us know when Michael says that, what he’s really saying is he did mean it but doesn’t want to be held accountable for the way he said it,” I tell her.


“Why come here if it’s just to stir up shit?” She asks.


“I came because when I ask Michael to return ALL the money, you will know the facts, not Michael’s excuses. Fact; Michael had bills sent to and paid for by me for treatment he couldn’t have gotten from David. Which I paid for not realizing that it's likely how Michael has been supporting himself. When he comes crying to you, don't show up at my door to berate me, expecting a warm welcome. You keep saying Michael has problems, now at least it's going to be the truth. I plan to show Michael AND David, exactly how big of an asshole I can be,” I tell her, opening the door to see Michael standing there, looking hopeful. “Tell Dr Dave he has my thanks, for helping you to recover,” I tell him, going to my car.


DEB


I waited for Michael to look confused by what Brian said, but instead, he looked very worried. He started to make a call, but I snatched the phone from him and looked at who he was calling.


“Michael, are you there?” I heard David say.


“It's Deb,” I tell him.


“How are you Deb? Sorry Michael’s cell came up, it's why I thought you were Michael,” He tells me.


“You can talk to Michael in a minute. I just had a very interesting conversation with Brian about you and Michael, and I want you to tell me that he isn't right. He thinks you've been sending bills to him. Bills for treating Michael.” I tell him.


“Really?” He asks, after a couple seconds.


“Yes. Apparently, he's been getting bills from you. Why would he, since the only way you could treat Michael is over the phone?” I ask, angry.


“Ma, leave it alone,” Michael orders me.


“No. I won't leave it alone, I've been defending you to everyone. I want the truth, because if what Brian implied is true… he'll never forgive me for the things I've been saying,” I tell him.


“Deb, it's nothing. I'll handle Brian for Michael. Let me talk to Michael, and I'll make sure there's nothing to worry about,” David tells me.


“David, if you think Brian is going to let this go, you're seriously underestimating Brian Kinney. You and Michael can talk all you want, it won’t stop the hell Brian is about to send your way,” I tell him, hanging up.


“Ma, why are you listening to Brian? He hurt me,” He tells me, whining.


“Not as badly as the way you and I have been hurting him. What was going through you're head? Not only did you lie to all of us for years, but you found a way to make Brian pay; not only for hospital visits you didn’t need, but for spending money you didn’t deserve,” I say to him, still stupidity praying Brian got that wrong.


“I got the settlement and it didn't last long, and I didn’t want to come to you for money. You couldn’t afford it, so I asked David to help me. He wanted me to move back to Portland but I didn’t like it there. I ended up talking to David's receptionist, and he suggested the idea of he and I splitting the money from the bills. It wasn’t like Brian was going to question the bills,” He tells me.


“Until now. Knowing none of the bills he's been paying we're for anything you needed. Son, this is one mess where you're on your own. I can’t support you this time. Not when Brian did nothing but take care of you,” I tell him.


“How about what he said to me? He said I was pathetic. I know Brian is only seeing the blond asshole to make me choose between you and him. He’s doesn’t want you in our lives,” He tells me.


“Why would he want me in his life, after I supported my pathetic son? I need you to go, because I would rather date Carl than be arrested by him for killing you,” I tell him.


“Ma...?” Michael asked, most likely confused that I didn’t get upset when he told me what he says Brian said.


“Do David a favor and tell him what you did, because his career could be over just because he loved you,” I tell him, shoving him out the door before slamming it and locking the deadbolt and chain.


JUSTIN


Brian called, saying we were going back to the house. I grabbed the folder to show my grandfather. Only, when we got to the house, Lee was sitting in the living room with my grandfather. Brian said Michael could wait, when he saw that Lee was acting nervous.


“Lee, what you and Molly do is up to you two. You don't need to come to me because you want to date my granddaughter,” He tells Lee.


“I came to talk to Justin,” Lee tells us.


“Why? Like Grandfather said, it's up to you and Molly,” I tell him.


“Because big brother, Lee thinks it would bother you,” Brian tells me.


“If you hurt her, then we have a problem. Otherwise, my sister's an adult, and she wouldn’t really like you thinking I have any say in it,” I tell him.


“I guess it’s just that I’m still reeling because she returns my feelings. Up until Cole interfered, she never paid any attention to me,” He tells me.


“Most people don’t,” I joke.


“Well, my pain is your joke, so what’s been up with you?” He ask.


“Things Brian wanted to talk to Grandfather about,” I tell him.


“I can go, Molly and Jen were doing a girl thing for the wedding and I decided to run before I did something stupid, like propose five minutes into our relationship,” He tells us.


“Since we’re all going to be family, I don’t see any reason you need to go,” Brian tells us.


“So you’ve decided what you want to do?” My Grandfather asks.


BRIAN


“It’s gotten more complicated, because it looks like Michael had an ex billing me for treatment he didn’t get. Michael dated a chiropractor at one time, and Justin noticed the bills from him were higher than what the primary doctor had been charging,” I tell Cole.


“He got a doctor to screw up his life? I hope the guy got something good for the fact he is about to lose everything. The guy will lose his license, then you could own his life if you prove he did it. Any reason he would risk it?” Lee asks me.


“He wanted Michael and Michael wanted me. When they were together, Michael was thrilled at first, because he thought I was jealous of David being with him. It was really that I didn’t like the person Michael was becoming. When I encouraged him to go with David to Portland, Michael did, but only stayed for a short amount of time before coming home. We got into the accident a couple weeks later and David wasn’t happy to find out I was still Michael’s POA and that he was clinging to me even more,” I tell him.


“Being a doctor, it’s a lot to risk for someone, even someone you love,” Lee tells me.


“If he values his reputation and standing, he wouldn’t, unless he believed he’d get what he wanted from Michael,” Cole tells me.


“We think that Michael used the money from the bills to pay for his life,” Justin tells Cole.


“If you prove that Michael is complicit, he could pay not only monetary penalties, but possible jail time. All you have to do is subpoena his income, and see if the payments you made were sent to an account that belongs to Michael,” Lee tells me.


“You know this how?” I ask.


“My dad spent my life talking about his cases and the legalities. Fraudulent billing isn’t new, they just get better or worse at it,” Lee tells me.

 

“If they were smart they wouldn’t have used David’s name,” I tell him.