- Text Size +

 JUSTIN

 

I woke up to Daphne sitting in front of my desk, not looking happy with me.

 

“Your mother and sister were scared shitless when you took off.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll call them and explain. I saw Brian and needed time without everyone questioning me.” I tell her.

 

“Are you okay?” She tells me.

 

“I found out enough from him to be willing to try again. He bought a house not far from here for me.” I tell her.

 

“So he traded the apartment for a house, how do you see that as better?” She asks.

 

“He wasn’t married or in a relationship. The guy in the pictures was only a friend who wanted more than Brian did. The baby Brian was holding is his, but with two women he’s been friends with for a long time. He introduced me to his son yesterday and showed me parts of his life. It’s different this time.” I tell her.

 

“Then I hope you get everything from him now that you wanted from him before. Just let him know Quinn has no problem with kicking his ass if he hurts you.” She tells me.

 

“Barely engaged and she’s already thinking I’ll fight on her command. Guess who called me last night?” Quinn asks me.

 

“He called me too, I just didn’t answer. Let him know I thought the speed limit was a hundred and twenty, the cop thought it was fifty-five.” I joke.

 

“You know he’s going to have your head for driving like that, you could have killed someone if you’d lost control.” Daphne tells me.

 

“Brian wasn’t thrilled with me either.” I tell her.

 

“Brian?” Quinn asks.

 

“We are going to try again. I don’t want to hear anything but that you’ll support me.” I tell Quinn.

 

“I will, but I reserve the right to do what my fiancee asks if he hurts you.” He tells me.

 

LINDSAY

 

Deb called me and asked if she could come by and talk. I wasn’t in the mood for another ‘Michael needs Brian be there for him’ lecture, but she hung up before I could tell her anything. When she came over, I was going to help Brian by letting Deb understand my position on her son. Mel took Lee with her and Gus when I asked her to let me deal with Deb alone. I didn’t want Gus here if Deb and I butted heads over Michael. I opened the door when Deb knocked and didn’t expect her first words.

 

“Brian should hate me.” She tells me.

 

“He never could, it’s why he lets you and Michael get away with what you do.” I tell her, leading her to the living room.

 

“You know what Michael did last night?” She asks.

 

“Emmett sent us the video, and Brian isn’t going to be as willing to excuse what Michael’s doing.” I tell her.

 

“I went to see Vic this morning and he told me it didn’t surprise him that Michael is still trying to keep Brian, like he belongs in one of Michael’s collections. Vic thinks we should get Michael to see someone, before he drives Brian away.” She tells me.

 

“It might not stop Brian from walking away from Michael. Brian has other things that he will put ahead of Michael.” I tell her.

 

“He can’t turn his back on Michael.” She tells me.

 

“It’s one step forward and a hundred back with you. Michael is no longer in a wheelchair, he’s back to being able to do everything he could do before. Which should mean that Brian can have a life. A life he’d been trying to have for the past two years, while you and Michael made that impossible for him.” I tell her, exasperated at Deb.

 

“You call him working, a life? It’s all he’s done for the last two years.” She tells me.

 

“No it’s not. But unless he wants to tell you, just know there was more to the business trips. Which he almost lost because your son created false emergencies to get him to come home.” I tell her.

 

“Brian needs to settle down, not trick his life away.” She tells me.

 

“Even if that’s what I was talking about, it’s really not your place or mine to tell him how to run his life. I think he's more than paid his dues for an ACCIDENT. And it’s time for you and Michael to stop making him feel like he was somehow responsible for the other person, who was the one who drove drunk. I want you to think really hard about why Michael called Brian, who was out of town last night, instead of you or one of the guys, who were minutes away. Then give me a reason anyone would think it was logical, because I don't have any way to excuse it.” I tell her.

 

Deb didn’t have an answer, which to me, was the answer.

 

BRIAN

 

“The day Gus was born, I wanted you there. LY”

 

“I designed Britin after the things you told me you loved about cars. Love you.”

 

Last night Justin surprised me, by being at Lindsay and Mel’s house, talking to Lee. They were sitting at the kitchen table with papers spread out, Gus was standing on Justin’s lap, while Justin managed to answer Lee’s questions and entertain Gus. I went over to Justin, leaning over him to kiss Gus before kissing Justin.

 

“I have to stay in town tomorrow with my mom. She wants to meet you.” He tells me.

 

“When?” I ask.

 

“I asked if she would wait until we came to dinner with Mel, Lindsay, and Gus. She wanted to meet you sooner.” He tells me.

 

“Bring her to Kinnetik and we can have lunch together.” I tell him, looking at what looked like a design for a motorcycle. “What are you guys doing?” I ask.

 

“My soon-to-be stepdad collects motorcycles. I wanted to give him one no one would have, for making my mom happy.” He tells me.

 

“So you don’t just design cars?” I ask.

 

“It depends on what someone wants, Lee and I also do bikes, but only for special customers.” He tells me. “I’m even thinking Gus’s first wheels should be an original tricycle.” Justin tells Gus.

 

“Brian can I talk to you?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“I’m almost done, we can put Gus to bed then go home.” Justin tells me, as I followed Lindsay from the kitchen.

 

“You might not like that I did it, but I hope the talk I had with Deb helps. We can't expect miracles, but maybe it will give you some space. I didn’t tell her about Justin, but told her you weren’t going to put aside your life to run after Michael.” She tells me.

 

“Are you and Cynthia trying to see who can out do the other? Ted and I were walking out of Kinnetik when Cynthia ran up to me and asked me for my loft keys. She changed the locks without telling me, but said she knew I'd eventually see it was the right decision. Then Ted adds that he didn’t really understand why anyone had them.” I tell her, hoping she understands it means her too.

 

“You have Justin now, so there's no reason any of us need them.” She tells me, smiling.

 

EMMETT

 

Brian called and asked if Drew and I wanted to meet for drinks. It was the first time in a long time he’d asked, so I had to clear my throat before saying yes. I felt like he was giving me a chance to prove I wasn’t the same asshole who treated him like crap, instead of seeing how the accident affected him. Drew suggested we try a new place, because Woody’s is one place Michael was guaranteed to show up at if he knew Brian was in town.

 

“I promised Justin we weren’t hiding our relationship. If Michael shows up, then we deal with it.” Brian tells me.

 

“Teddy told me that Michael came to Kinnetik but left without barging in. Did you ever figure out why he was there?” I ask.

 

“I had other things to worry about.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

I called Teddy and Blake to meet us. I knew they were both curious about Justin and wanted Justin to feel welcomed by us. Ted and Blake were waiting when Drew and I arrived, and so far it looked like we might get to get to know Justin without Michael around.

 

Brian and Justin came in and went to get something from the bar first. I watched Brian, unafraid to show everyone Justin was important. Justin was ordering and Brian was behind him with his arms wrapped around Justin, tilting his head to talk to Justin as they waited.

 

“He really makes it obvious Justin is with him.” Drew tells us.

 

“I think he knows if he wants this to work, he can't let there be any doubts that could cause problems.” Blake tells us.

 

“You mean Michael?” I ask.

 

“Michael isn’t going to care what we're seeing, because that would mean Brian has planned a future that doesn't have Michael starring as the person Brian settles down with.” He tells me.

 

Brian and Justin came over, so we stopped any conversation that he wouldn’t be thrilled we were having.

 

“Hi Emmett, sorry about yesterday's drama.” Justin tells me.

 

“Baby, it's sort of normal for there to be drama around us, so don't worry about it.” I tell him.

 

“So I know Drew, but not you two.” Justin tells Blake and Ted.

 

“Ted works with me, Blake is his better half.” Brian jokes.

 

“It's great to meet you, even if I lose my bet with Brian.” Ted tells him.

 

“We bet on winning your account. Theodore keeps forgetting I never lose.” Brian tells Justin.

 

“I would've bet too, but I didn’t want to take Teddy's place answering phones.” I joke.

 

“There's still a chance Ted could win. Kinnetik has to impress us, or no deal.” Justin tells us.

 

“Brian's the best in the ad game, so yeah, I'm going to lose. He did at least promise to donate half of what Blake's clinic needs for a new building.” Ted tells us.

 

“What kind of clinic?” Justin asks Blake.

 

“I'm a counselor for recovering addicts. Right now we try to offer free services to people who can't afford rehab but want to straighten out their lives. It means depending on donations for our needs. We're getting cramped because unfortunately, getting high is still the easiest way for people to cope, and rehab patients aren’t financially responsible.” He tells Justin.

 

“If you don’t mind having the clinic being publicized I could give you the number of someone who would be interested in helping.” Justin tells him.

 

“As long as the patients aren’t expected to parade themselves, any help would be welcome.” Blake tells him.

 

Justin pulls out his wallet and hands Blake a card. “Ask to speak to Cole, if they give you the run around tell them it was me who wanted you to talk to him.” Justin tells him.

 

TED

 

I looked at the card and almost choked on my drink. “Why would Cole Andrews be interested in Blake's clinic?” I blurt out.

 

“What Blake's clinic offers is a way to improve their chances of becoming productive members of society again. My grandfather is a strong supporter of causes like that.” Justin tells me.

 

“Did you know?” I ask Brian.

 

“I looked it up, but unless Justin wanted anyone to know, it wasn't going to become gossip.” Brian tells me.

 

“I never really think about it, he's just my grandfather.” Justin tells me.

 

“I hope you didn't think I was trying to get a donation.” Blake tells him.

“Hey guys, no one told me everyone was coming to Woody’s.” Michael interrupts loudly.

 

“Blake, I asked, and you only answered me.” Justin tells Blake, ignoring Michael.

 

“Since I'm here, why not introduce me to your new friend.” Michael tells Emmett, smiling at Justin.

 

“I'm Justin, Brian’s partner. It's a pleasure to meet you.” Justin tells him.

 

Michael starts laughing as if he found something funny. “Sorry, I was thinking of something Brian and I joked about. I'm Michael, Brian’s closest friend. It's nice Brian isn't with a trick for once.” Michael tells him.

 

“I don't know, tricks can ramp up a night, but then, Brian and I got tired of having to teach them everything. Now we just agree to use them when one of us can’t be around to release the stress from the headaches caused by others.” Justin tells him.

 

“Brian must have been stressed out a lot in the last few months.” Michael laughs.

 

“We're you? I shouldn't have thought we needed to reassess the relationship. At least I can feel better that we know nothing compares to what we have.” Justin tells Brian, kissing him.

 

“He actually let's you call it a relationship, he must really like the sex.” Michael tells him, snickering.

 

“He really does, since he hasn't stopped wanting it from me. I guess he can’t say two years is just wanting a good time, so a relationship is how we both see it.” Justin tells him.

 

“Brian, why would you hide him like a dirty little secret? Ma and I have always been the most important people in your life. I wouldn't want Justin to think you didn’t find him just as important.” Michael laid it on thick, but there was still more. “Now I feel bad that he and I were there to see Gus when he was born. It’s a shame that he didn't remember that was his partner's place, but maybe he just forgot, since I was there.” Michael tells him.

 

“He made it up to me, champagne and a night we'd never forget. At least I got to watch Gus take his first steps, sorry, we forgot to call you.” Justin tells him.

 

“Justin.” Brian says, making Michael think Justin was going to be brought down in favor of Michael. “It's really only something Gus’s four parents care about, so I didn’t see the reason to invite everyone else.” He tells Justin, kissing him.

 

Michael looked ready to breathe fire on Justin when Brian didn’t. It was like watching the ball volley back and forth between Justin and Michael. I know we all looked like we were watching a tennis game the whole time. In fact I looked around and noticed other guys joining us, as we waited to see who would win. It sure wasn’t the pissed off Michael, who turned and walked out of the bar without another word.

 

“I don’t think Michael is prepared for Justin.” Blake whispers to me, as Brian sat whispering something in Justin’s ear.

 

“But Justin was prepared.” I whisper, kissing Blake, since it looked like Brian and Justin weren’t planning to stick around, as they forgot all about us when they rushed out the door.