- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Back home things are getting relatively interesting...

Friday, March 14 Kinnetik

 

Closing the last file on his desk, Brian decided that snowstorms weren’t necessarily a bad thing after all. Since getting back to the ‘burgh on Wednesday, he had managed to do get up to date on all of his the current work and clear up any backlog. Most of his scheduled meetings had been cancelled, rescheduled, or moved to conference calls. A clean desk was a happy desk.

Brian popped up his calendar on his computer to block the afternoon. He considered taking off early and heading to the house in West Virginia. No such luck - it seemed he had a 2 o’clock. That hadn’t been there this morning. Brian’s brow wrinkled as he opened the schedule appointment - J. Taylor.

Brian smiled. Well, well, well. Interesting. He’d have to ask Cynthia about the appointment on his way to the diner for lunch. Just what did Mr. Taylor want? he mused. He supposed that they could explore the executive washroom adjacent to Brian’s office. After all, it had been two days. And though he wouldn’t admit it to anyone else, he had been trying to figure out just what the right approach would be to lure Justin back to his loft for some tension relieving activity. Now he didn’t have to worry about it. Brian decided the afternoon was looking up.

Ted walked through Brian’s open door, as Brian was rising from his chair.

“Theodore. I was on my way to the diner to get some lunch.”

“Hey Brian. Hmm, lunch would be good.” As if Brian had invited Ted along. “But actually, I came by to tell you that the rabbit you pulled out of your hat on Tuesday night has put us back on track with the Remson Pharmaceutical shoot. We begin filming on Monday, only two days off schedule. And, SureCorp Design will be paying for the delay.”

“Good work, Theodore.” Brian waited for Ted to leave. “Anything else?”

“Uh,” Ted had been hoping that Brian would ask him to join him for lunch. Guess not. “Just to be sure that you get back by 2 pm for our meeting with Jennifer. She called and said she had good news about the properties on Liberty and Tremont.”

“No can do, Theodore, I already have a 2 pm appointment.” Brian held back the smile that threatened when he thought about meeting with Jusitn.

“But... but... I just booked the appointment on your calendar this morning and there was nothing there. Ms. Taylor will be disappointed. I’ll just have to reschedule I’ll suppose.” Ted was talking to himself, oblivious to the frown and furrowed brow that crossed Brian’s face before the look masked and Brian schooled his features to show nonchalance.

J. Taylor... Jennifer Taylor not Justin Taylor.

“Wait, Theodore.” Brian sat back down at his desk and made an act out of looking at his computer calendar. “It appears that I am mistaken. I do have the appointment on the calendar. I must have been looking at the wrong month. I’ll make sure that I’m back from lunch in plenty of time to meet with Ms. Taylor.” Brian rose and grabbing his coat left his office and a perplexed Ted behind.

~~~~~~~~

Done! Justin clicked the mouse on send button and closed his email. He had spent the better part of the last two days reviewing the files for the film for Brett -- well, that and thinking about Brian.

In exchange for his reviewing the files, Brett had told him that he could skip coming to NY the next week. Justin linked his hands together and turned his wrists outward and stretched. Now, he could spend the rest of the afternoon, the weekend and all of next week to set up his studio.

He grabbed his coat and started to schlep boxes down to his car.

~~~~~~~~

“Ms. Taylor.” Brian said sardonically, nodding to Jennifer as she walked into the conference room with Ted.

“Jennifer, please.”

“Jennifer.”

“Well, Mr. Kinney -”

“Brian,” he interrupted.

“Brian,” Jennifer smiled broadly. “I have good news and great news.”

Ted, anxiously wanting to make this a good meeting, joined Jennifer and Brian at the conference table. “I think you’ll like to hear what Jennifer has to say.”

“Why don’t we let Jennifer tell the story Theodore.”

“Yes, well, as I said I’ve got good news and great news. Where would you like to begin?” Jennifer was still a bit hesitant around Brian. He could be a bit gruff, and as she had been working on the properties for him she had heard quite a few remarks about his unsavory past... and present? However, she couldn’t fault his business sense, or the people who he surrounded himself at work with. She had decided, if a bit reservedly, that she liked him and wanted to work with him on this project and beyond.

“Let’s start with the great news.” Brian suggested.

“I have an offer from owners of the Tremont Street property. It’s 45k less than the budgeted amount that Ted gave me.”

Brian nodded, masking his pleasure. That was great news. Score one for Ms. Taylor.

“On the Liberty Avenue property, there is a hitch, but I think that once I tell you about it, you might be amenable to the terms on the contract.”

Brian raised his eyebrows in question, silently indicating that she should continue.

“Well, the owner of the Liberty Avenue property *is* interested in selling. However, he is hesitant due to a promise his father had made to a tenant. It seems that the father of the owner had promised the tenant - an elderly man in his eighties - that he, the tenant, would be able to live in the building for the rest of his life rent free. When the father died, the son inherited the property. The son wishes to honor his father’s request. So any sale of the property would require a legally binding contract to stipulate that the tenant could remain there rent free.”

“Theodore?” Brian aimed his eyes at Ted. “Your opinion?”

“Well, you could purchase it and then see about voiding the contract.” Jennifer gasped in horror at the cold thought, so Ted went on quickly, “I’m not sure that such a move would really be in anyone’s best interest. It would make us out to look like assholes.” Ted shot a glance at Brian, who smirked. Continuing, “If the man is in his eighties, he probably has limited years left. But if he is in good heath, you are looking at perhaps up to 15 more years or so of having a rent free tenant. We’d be looking at lost revenue for that period of time. However, the overall project and revenue projections could probably absorb that loss.”

Brian arched his fingertips together and considered Ted’s analysis.

Jennifer looked anxiously at Brian. She looked as if she had something she wanted to say, but was afraid to say it.

“Out with it.” Brian barked at her, causing her to jump in her seat.

“Well... uh...” she began. “It’s just that I did a bit of investigating. It seems the tenant was the partner of the current owner’s father.”

“Business partner?” Ted asked.

Brian looked at Jennifer, who wasn’t exactly looking anyone in the eye. Then looked at Ted, directly in the eye. Ted’s lips formed a silent “O”.

“I think we can safely assume, that isn’t the type of partner that Jennifer was talking about, Theodore.” Score one for Brian, and he acknowledged, one for Jennifer. She had done her legwork, and managed to provide information without turning it into gossip. “So Jennifer, despite the sentimental twist in all this, assuming we honor the dead father’s wishes, how does this work with the budget figures Ted gave you?”

“It’s all within the budget outlined. I’m pretty sure that if you were willing to meet the tenant stipulation, the owner would be able to knock 10k - 25k off of the starting offer price that Ted had given me.”

“Theodore?” Brian shot a glance at Ted.

“Keeping the tenant in the building, even at the budget price, we are looking at reasonable profits. If we can get the price down further, the better. And since this works with the overall development plan, I think that it would be worth it.”

“I agree.” Brian said. Turning to Jennifer, he continued. “Draw up the paperwork.”

“I have the paperwork here for the Tremont property here.” Jennifer smiled and reached into her briefcase on the conference room table. “And I have preliminary paperwork on the Liberty Avenue property as well. I assume that Ted will want to review these with your corporate council.”

Brian nodded and flipped through the papers Jennifer had handed to him, then handed the paperwork off to Ted. “Ted, review these with Sean and make sure that they are in line with our other contracts. Jennifer, I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am with the obvious efforts that you have made on our behalf. Based on your success here, I have a couple of other projects I’d like you to work on for us.”

“You do?” Jennifer and Ted spoke at once.

Brian smiled. “Yes. Though Ted is not entirely aware of my other plans, I’d like you to start putting together a short list of properties for Ted and I to look at for the purpose of opening up a dance club.”

Ted looked at Brian surprised. “Are you planning on a second Babylon?”

Brian shook his head. “Not exactly. I was recently made aware of the fact that Babylon is becoming popular with straight kids due to our DJs. So I am looking to open up a straight club,” he looked directly at Jennifer, “in straight neighborhood, where we can share our DJs. I don’t want the happy heteros driving the queers from Babylon and Liberty Avenue. I figure this way, everyone can enjoy themselves, and we’ll be able to enjoy the profits.”

Genius! Ted thought. He was much more subdued in his reply. “Yes, I can see how that would work.”

“So Jennifer, do you think you can work on that?”

“Absolutely.” Jennifer smiled. Brian began to close the folders on the conference room table signaling the end of the meeting. But before the meeting was closed, Jennifer wanted to find out more about the Liberty and Tremont projects. She figured that she better speak up or she’d end up talking with Ted.

“Brian?”

“Hmmmm,” Brian murmured in response, distracted by wanting to end the meeting and leave the office.

“I was wondering, what exactly are you planning on doing with the properties that you are acquiring? I know that you alluded to project plans. I’d like to know a bit more.”

Drawn back to the project, Brian responded. “I think that we can do that. Ted, do you have those plans in your office?”

Ted nodded, “Let me get them.”

While Ted went off to grab the blueprints, Brian filled Jennifer in on the plans for the properties they were pursuing.

“We’re looking at taking the existing properties and doing full scale renovation. We’ll start at the street level with mixed retail and restaurant space. On the second and third levels we’ll be developing office space. On the fourth through sixth level on the Tremont property and the fourth through eighth level on the Liberty Avenue property we are looking at condos. The aim is to sell the condos but retain management of the building. Ahh, here’s Theodore with the plans.”

Ted placed the rolls of paper on the table and unravelled them. Jennifer keen with interest started to look over the plans.

Ted picked up where Brian left off. “Three Rivers Development is working as our overall project consultant. Salem Architects have done the original concept and will do the renovation plans. As a prelude to making the purchases of the property, we’ve moved ahead with getting the zoning for the area changed to accommodate mixed use living and business.”

Jennifer looked closely at the large paper designs, flipping carefully from page to page. “These are very exciting - and wonderful.” She looked Brian directly in the eye. “I’d like to be your exclusive agent for renting on the retail/office and restaurant space, as well as your agent on the condo sales.”

Brian smiled. He liked Jennifer - she went after what she wanted. And he was pleased with the work that she had been able to accomplish so far - in such a short period of time. He was pretty sure that she would continue to work hard for him on this project. He believed in rewarding hard work.“ I think that might be arranged - Ted will follow up with you and see if something can’t be worked out.”

Jennifer smiled broadly at Brian and Ted, returning to gaze at the plans. Brian rose from the table looking to make his exit, but was drawn back when he saw Jennifer shake her head.

“It’s too bad,” Jennifer started. Looking at the plans she shook her head again.

“What’s that?” Ted worried. He watched as Jennifer as she traced a well manicured finger down the page in front of her.

“Hmmmm?” Jennifer murmured. “Oh, I was just thinking it’s too bad I wasn’t your realtor two months ago.”

“Why is that?” Brian was intrigued with the thought process at work.

Jennifer looked up from the page. “It’s just that with the work that I’ve done on these properties, it’s too bad I wasn’t working on this project earlier. This is a terrific project.” She looked back at the plans. “It would have really benefitted from the purchase of the property that is on the corner of Liberty Avenue and Tremont street.”

Above her bowed head Ted’s eyes shot to Brian’s and Brian gave a nearly imperceptible shake of his head.

“How so?” Brian knew damn well how, but he was interested in Jennifer’s reasoning and opinion. He silently congratulated her on picking up the obvious lynchpin in the Tremont and Liberty Avenue properties.

Jennifer looked up from the plans once again. “Hmmm? Oh yes, well the corner property went up for auction at the beginning of February. The property closed at the end of February.” She shook her head and looked back down at the plans, Brian and Ted almost missed the next comment. “Had I been on the case earlier, I might have been able to stop my son from purchasing the property.”

Ted’s eyebrows flew up and his eyes sought Brian’s, totally surprised, and not quite sure how the owner of Kinnetik would want to proceed on the information he had just received.

Brian had managed to mask most of his surprise, but allowed himself a very brief closing of his eyes to gather his thoughts. Justin Taylor was Jennifer Taylor’s son. He was fucking his realtor’s son. Perfect. Just perfect.

“Your son, you say?” Brian threw out the bait. If possible, Ted’s eyebrows rose even further, as Brian glared a warning at him. Ted got the message. Brian would be doing the investigating here.

“Yes, my son Justin - he’s an artist. He bought the corner property late last month. He’s currently renovating it. He’s using the old service station bays for his studio, and is in the process of taking the office portion and turning it into living quarters. In fact, with the zoning changes for the area, he probably has you to thank for being able to make the conversion to living space.” Jennifer smiled and turned back to the plans.

Ted found it all amusing and tried to swallow a smile at the absurd irony of it all. Brian didn’t find it amusing at all. For a second he felt like a noose was tightening around his neck. He had been enjoying his time with Justin. But having this little wrinkle in their unconventional, undefined, non-relationship complicated things beyond what Brian was almost willing to tolerate.

“I don’t suppose your son would be interested in selling the property?” Brian asked Jennifer, drawing her attention from the papers once again.

Jennifer smiled once again - and Brian could now see a bit of Justin’s smile in her face. “Don’t I wish.” She shook her head and responded, “I love my son, but I know him too well. He is so stubborn. Nothing short of dynamite is going to get him to give up the property. And at this point, he’s invested too much of his energy, time and inspiration - not to mention money - into outfitting the place to meet his needs for studio space. I had spent much of December and January showing him more suitable condos and modest houses. But Justin marches to the beat of his own drum. I keep hoping he’ll change his mind. If he does, the living quarters would convert nicely into an art gallery or something along those lines. I hate to admit it, but the garage is a really good choice for studio space for him - lots of room and light, easy access for moving equipment and work in and out. Oh well, that’s all water under the bridge now.”

Brian nodded. Jennifer’s comments made it obvious that Kinnetik Corp. would have an artist for a neighbor for the unforeseeable future - Brian would have to get used to it. “Well, it never hurts to ask about these things.” Switching topics, Brian left Ted and Jennifer to discuss the details of her acting as exclusive agent on the properties that they would be purchasing. With a handshake and a goodbye, he left the conference room and returned to his office.

Once in his office, Brian sat at his desk, lost in thought. He’d like to see what Justin was up to with the service station. If he had been willing to admit it to himself, he actually would just like to see Justin.

Though older and wiser, Brian still had difficulty accepting that he had wants and needs above the carnal and most basic level when it came to interacting with people who he had sex with. It had always been tricking - and never the same one twice. But with Justin, it wasn’t just tricking, and it certainly had been more than twice.

The only close bonds Brian had ever formed were with Mikey, Debbie and Lindsay. And Gus, of course. He guessed, to a lesser degree, Ted and Emmett fell into that category as well. However, despite the closeness of those relationships, he still felt that he danced on the outside of the ‘family’ circle - always at a distance, and keeping them at a distance.

Brian had always managed to separate his personal life -- certainly his professional life as well -- from his sex life. And now, this thing with Justin was all tied up in every aspect of his life. It certainly was sexual, but it certainly wasn’t tricking. It wasn’t really friendship either - would it ever be? Brian figured that it was a case of getting to know more about the younger man and developing a relationship. And how was he supposed to do that? Ask Justin out on a date? Brian Kinney didn’t do dates - of course Brian Kinney didn’t do relationships or boyfriends either. It was all murky territory.

Getting to know Justin outside of the bedroom (or any other flat surface) might prove a bit difficult. Every encounters they had seemed to be charged with sexual heat. It was kind of difficult to have a ‘getting to know you’ conversation with a tongue down your throat. But Brian had to admit, the time that they had spent together snowbound in NY he had enjoyed talking to Justin, discussing the young man’s work, talking about his own work with Kinnetik. Did that mean he was only able to deal on a professional or sexual capacity with other people? The whole thing was getting too lesbianic for him to think about further. Fuck it.

Looking at the stack of closed files on his desk, Brian decided he had had enough for the day. It was time to stop thinking and just go after want he wanted. He wanted to take a visit to the property at the corner of Liberty and Tremont. And if he found a certain young blond there, so much the better.

~~~~~~

The service bay door closest to the office area of the service station was open three quarters of the way. Brian stood at the threshold peering into the bay area looking at the boxes and artist paraphernalia that cluttered the bay closed off from the elements. A few very large canvases leaned against the wall that bordered Liberty Avenue. Construction noises filled the air from the side of the building where the office once was. Brian looked around, then stepped into the Bay, cutting himself off from the windy winter air.

He was still standing just inside the service bay, looking around when Justin, bundled up in a blue down jacket, came in his arms filled with boxes.

Justin had quickly recognized the tall handsome man in the black wool Armani overcoat. He had watched as Brian looked around, wondering what the man doing there. But he dismissed his questions - he was just too happy to see Brian.

“Hi!” Justin smiled broadly at Brian.

Brian turned and was captivated by the smile, then like a cold dousing of water, realized that his realtor and his - lover? - were definitely genetically linked. Brian hated complications. Fucking was uncomplicated. Relationships, even undefined, unconventional, non-relationships weren’t.

“Hey.” Brian responded with an upward nod.

Justin moved further inside to the second service bay and put the boxes in his arms on the concrete floor. “How’d you find me?” Had Brian been looking for him?

Brian smiled, “Your mom told me where you were.”

Justin laughed, “My mom?”

Brian nodded, “It appears your Mom is my new realtor.”

Justin’s brow furrowed, “You’re selling your loft?”

It was Brian’s turn to laugh. “Hardly. No, your mom is helping me out with some investment property.”

Justin smiled knowingly, “So your the big fish.” Brian winced at this assessment, it made Justin’s smile widen. “My mom told me she was working on a big deal - for a big deal.”

“That’s me, I’m a big deal.” Brian smoothed sardonically. “She’s helping me with the purchase of that building...” he pointed to the Liberty Avenue property “... and that building.” Brian pointed to the Tremont Street property.

“Looks like I’m going to be surrounded by Brian Kinney,” Justin responded with a grin.

Brian took a step closer and ran a finger down Justin’s zipper. “That could be arranged.”

The quick change in the tone of their conversation had Justin responding almost immediately. Trying to gain control of his body’s response, Justin steadied himself by offering Brian a tour of the building. “Well, you’re here, you might as well get to see what I’m doing with the building.” He grabbed Brian’s arm and led him further into the service bay.

“I’m going to be using this space as a studio. The work in this area is done, so I’m starting to set up. However, there is still construction going on in the other part of the building, so I won’t actually start painting until I can be pretty sure that the debris and dust won’t intrude. Right now, I’m moving my things from Daphne’s and storage and organizing the area. Eventually, I’ll be able to work.”

Brian looked around and nodded. He wasn’t quite sure what an artist’s studio was exactly supposed to look like, but the current space appeared adequate.

Justin tugged on his sleeve again, and Brian followed the younger man into the living area. “The construction crew still has about two more weeks of work before I can move in.” Brian took in the shell of the living area. Floors were covered with heavy cardboard paper duct taped together. They sidestepped workers as they moved into the room.

The kitchen appeared to be completed. Heavy brown paper covered the bar area looking into the kitchen. A tear in the paper revealed a swirled brown and green granite counter flecked with gold. Justin wouldn’t admit it to Brian, but he had chosen it because it reminded him of Brian’s eyes. Nope, Mr. Kinney didn’t need to know that little fact.

“What’s in here?” Brian pointed to a door that was nearly closed.

“That will be the bedroom.” Brian liked that idea, and tapped the door further open. The room was empty - and small. “Not very large.”

“I don’t need a lot of space.” Justin responded.

Stepping into the bedroom, Brian pushed open a door that he thought was the closet, but then was taken aback when it revealed a total luxurious bathroom in art deco tile. Nearly as large as the bedroom. Wow. “This,” Brian gestured to the decadent room, “I like.”

Justin grinned, please by Brian’s comments. “Me too.” Justin had decided to forgo the standard tub and show, and had splurged with a huge steam shower (certainly large enough for two) with multiple show heads. Again Brian had been the inspiration here - or at least Brian’s loft had been. Justin remembered talking to Miguel and Julio after spending the weekend at Brian’s as to what he wanted for the bathroom. They had quickly finished the shower that week. The room included the standard toilet, and a very beautiful floating sink that Justin had decided on earlier.

Until that moment, Justin had not consciensciously realized exactly how much of an influence Brian had been in Justin’s decisions about his home. “Well, that’s about all there is to if.” Justin ended the tour lamely. Brian turned and followed Justin out.

Not entirely sure what to do next, Justin went back out to his car to unload more boxes. Brian followed. When he reached Justin’s vehicle, he stopped dead.

“That has got to be the fucking ugliest car I’ve ever seen.” Brian announced looking at the Honda Element in disgust.

Justin pulled a perturbed looking face. “Not everyone can own a classic,” he retorted referring to Brian’s corvette. “Besides it’s very practical for hauling my artwork and supplies. Here.” Justin shoved a box into Brian’s chest. “Make yourself useful, if you are going to insult my car.” The older man was quick to grab the package thrust at him and followed Justin whose hands were equally full into the service bay.

When they had placed the boxes on the floor in the service bay, Brian grabbed Justin’s shoulder and turned the blond to face him. “Hey, don’t pout - it’s not attractive.” Justin tried not to smile at that. Brian had a weird way of evaluating things.

“I’m not pouting.” Justin replied sullenly. He knew he was. Why was it that Brian seem to be able to push so many of his buttons. Every time he was around him, Brian made him feel... feel... feel what? Maybe it was just that Brian made him feel period.

Brian took Justin’s chin in his hand and forced the younger man to look him straight in the eye. “If this isn’t pouting, then what is it?” Brian’s tongue stuck in his cheek, Justin blushed. Brian gave up, he just had to kiss him. He leaned down, Justin closed his eyes and raised himself on his toes.

Ahhhh. Justin was lost. How was it that Brian was so good at this?

Ahhhh. What was it about Justin’s mouth?

 

Brian broke the kiss slowly. “Come on, let’s unload that monstrosity of yours. Then maybe we can get a bite to eat.” It wouldn’t be like a date, Brian told himself.