- Text Size +

Wednesday, February 27

Lindsay’s and Mel’s

 

“Justin, come in, come in!” Lindsay opened the door and moved aside so Justin could escape the winter cold. “Thank you so much for stopping by to drop off your donation for the art show. “

 

“No problem” Justin responded. He followed Lindsay into the dining room.

 

Spying her partner coming down the stairs, Lindsay motioned Mel to join them.

 

“Justin, this is my partner Melanie. Mel, Justin.” Lindsay introduced. “Justin is the artist that I was telling you about, he was part of the emerging artist series we did at the gallery three years ago. Since then his work has been gaining a real reputation. He’s been in several group shows in Europe and Canada, as well as having a recent solo showing in NY. We’re very honored to have him as part of the GLC Art Show.”

 

“Well, Justin, that’s great. We’re hoping that the art show will help to raise funds for the GLC youth program. Take off your coat and stay awhile.”

 

“I’m glad to help.” Justin unzipped his jacket, removed his gloves and hat, stuffing them into the pocket of his coat. He draped his scarf around the post of the chair. Unnoticed, the slippery silk fabric slid down the chair and pooled onto the floor beneath the table. “It wasn’t that long ago when I was a teenager dealing with coming out to my family and friends. I know how important it is to have someone and somewhere to turn to. Well, would you like to see what I brought you?”

 

“Definitely” Lindsay responded, motioning Justin to use the table.

 

Justin laid his portfolio on the dining room table and unzipped it. “I’ve got eight pieces for you - you can use all of them, or if there isn’t enough room, you can select the ones you want. I’ve matted them, so all you have to do is put them in a standard 16” x 20” frame.”

 

“Justin, the matting - that will really help us. Thank you,” Lindsay responded. “But, eight pieces, that’s got be few thousand dollars worth of work. Are you sure you want to donate all of them?”

 

“They're just sketches. Something I do for my own enjoyment. They aren’t the sort of thing my agent is focusing on for my shows.” Justin turned to Melanie to explain. “Most of my pieces for shows are large scale abstract canvases. These sketches of scenes and people don’t really blend in with the gallery work I’m doing.”

 

While Justin was explaining things to Melanie, Lindsay began to flip through the matted works each sealed in heavy plastic. Lindsay had spread the first two sketches along the table. “Justin! these are wonderful!”

 

Melanie leaned in to look at the sketches closer. The two sketches were of scenes from a park. The first was of a young boy with a soccer ball, in the snow, a bright smile on his face in the winter sun. He seemed strong and self-confident, the world was his. The next was of two women pushing a pre-schooler in a swing. The love for each other and the little girl in the swing was evident.

 

“Look Mel, it’s us,” Lindsay said with a tender smile. “And Jenny Rebbeca. And this is Gus.” Turning to Justin Lindsay asked, “When?”

 

Justin smiled. “A couple of weeks ago, when we had that really sunny Sunday. I was in the park, enjoying being outside. I had my sketch book with me and I just started drawing. I did the initial rough out in the park and finished them at home.”

 

“Looks to me like we might be investing in some Justin Taylor originals,” Mel noted.

 

“Let’s hope we can afford them.” Lindsay grinned back.

 

After stacking the park scenes to the side, Justin moved on to the next four sketches. “I call these my ode to Edward Hopper.” Justin placed diner scenes out for display.

 

The first was of a laughing woman, her face surrounded by springy curls. She wore a vest adorned with pins and a t-shirt with a questionable slogan. “I love this one,” Justin said. “She’s the manager at the Liberty Diner. I stopped by there last weekend to grab some breakfast. I ended up spending the whole day there drawing. She was really great. She kept coming over, refilling my coffee, bringing me food, calling me ‘Picasso’ and ‘Sunshine’. She had an unbelievable mouth on her. She didn’t put up with any shit from her customers, put them all in their place with a grin and a smart comment.”

 

“Yes, Mel and I know Debbie.” Lindsay shot her partner a look. “You’ve managed to capture her quite well.”

 

“Really,” Mel agreed.

 

“Is that her name?” Justin went on to the next sketch, oblivious to the exchange. “This one is also a favorite.” It was of two men - one large and strong, the other smaller, more the boy next door type - and a young man, probably not out of his teens. The teenager looked to be telling them a story, as they looked on with pride and interest. “This kid was home from college from for the weekend and was telling these guys all about his classes and activities. They were so focused on everything the kid said. LIke they were his parents.” Justin got quiet, “its one of the things I missed about college. I was never able to share it with my Dad. He didn’t accept me for who I was.”

 

Justin pushed the sketch aside and moved on. “These guys were fun to watch - and what a combination.” This sketch was a booth with four men. The most obvious member of the group was tall and lanky, his hands making wild gestures, next to him looking far more subdued, but amused was a strongly built man, obviously athletic with a square jaw and a hint of a smile. Across from the pair, was a smiling man with bright eyes and his booth side companion was a bit more reserved but grinning at the first man.

 

The last sketch of the series was a larger view of the entire restaurant including both booths with Debbie and an older man in a rumpled sports coat sharing a laugh.

 

“These are truly terrific - you have managed to capture so much here. I don’t know if everyone in the family will be able to afford them, but I know they’ll want them once they see them.”

 

“Family?” Justin inquired.

 

“Somehow you’ve managed to capture all the members of ‘our family’.” Mel interjected.

 

“You see,” Lindsay picked up where Mel dropped off. “over the years a group of friends who had never really been able to develop the close family ties with our own relatives have developed into our own version of family. While our own relationships might be estranged with our relatives, we have formed bonds and a less traditional family. Debbie is like a surrogate mother to all of us. Though now, with Jenny Rebecca that tie is real.”

 

“Jenny Rebecca?” Justin asked, wondering what their daughter had to do with the outspoken diner manager.

 

“Jenny Rebecca is Deb’s granddaughter,” Mel supplied.

 

Lindsay started to point out the family in the sketches. “This is Debbie and Carl. Carl is her - what would you call him Mel?”

 

“Live in boyfriend, patiently waiting fiancee?” Mel responded.

 

Lindsay picked up “Debbie won’t marry Carl until her son Michael” she pointed to the sketch of the two men and the teen. “Until Michael, and his partner Ben’s marriage - they were married in Canada where it is legal - is recognized here in the US. This is Ben, and this” pointing to the teen “is Hunter, their adopted son. Hunter was home last weekend from college. He’s in his sophamore year. Michael is Jenny Rebecca’s biological father. But Jenny Rebecca views both Michael and Ben as her dad’s.”

 

“Over here,” she pointed to the other booth sketch “This is Emmet” pointing to the tall man with the wild hands, “and Ted” the more subdued figure. “And more recent members of the family include their partners - Blake and” Lindsay pointed to the bright eyed young man, then indicating the man next to Emmet, finished with “Drew”.

 

“Drew? Drew Boyd? I knew he looked familiar.” Though Justin didn’t follow football, he did read Out and the Advocate. He remembered the buzz a few years back when the football player came out. It was big news.

 

“In fact,” Lindsay continued, “the only one who seems to be missing here is...”

 

“Brian!” Mel huffed out in a less than enthusiastic tone as she moved the booth scene aside and uncovered the sketch of the man with the smoldering eyes from the plane.

 

“Don’t tell me you know him too?!” Justin laughed.

 

“Of course,” Lindsay responded. “He’s Gus’ father. And Michael’s best friend. They’ve been best friends since they were fourteen. I met Brian in High School; we were both at Carnegie Mellon together.”

 

Mel gave a disgusted snort, as Lindsay inspected the final two sketches. One of Brian staring frankly directly at the artist, and the other of him sleeping.

 

Justin moved the diner scenes aside and retrieved he sketch of Gus with the soccer ball. Now that he had time - and a clue - he could see the family resemblance. He was bemused, he had unknowingly assembled a family portrait.

 

“The question is,” Mel started “is how do you know Brian. I mean I can see the park and the diner sketches being things you stumbled across, but these sketches of Brian aren’t from either location.”

 

“Mel!,” Lindsay admonished. “I’m sure Justin has a perfectly reasonable explanation. He could have easily done these from the Diner, you know Brian hangs out there with the guys often enough.”

 

“Somehow, I don’t see Brian sleeping at the Diner,” Mel retorted.

 

“She’s right,” Justin rejoined. “I’d never seen him before Monday. He was on the same flight as I was to New York, and again yesterday on the return trip home. In fact, we were in opposite seats on the same row. I didn’t even know who he was until the flight attendant told me.” Justin thought back to Brian’s suggestive comment from the plane, and hoped the women wouldn’t notice his flush. He went on, “I kind of think of these sketches as sleeping tiger and ...”

 

“Pouncing tiger?” Mel supplied with a smirk.

 

Without thinking, Lindsay and Justin laughed, helping to ease the tension all around.

 

Justin grinned, “I guess the sketch does make him appear kind of predatory.”

 

“I’d say you’ve captured him perfectly.” Mel replied.

 

Lindsay shook her head but smiled. “He certainly does have that element of wildness, even when asleep.”

 

“Do you think you can use them?” Justin asked, changing the subject.

 

“Absolutely,” Lindsay answered. Sure that most of the sketches wouldn’t have to go farther than the family to find a home. Except the ones of Brian. She was pretty sure they would be a hot commodity and be highly competed for.

 

“Well, then, I’ll take off.” Justin zipped up his portfolio. He grabbed his coat from the chair and headed for the front door. Lindsay and Mel followed watching him pull out his hat and gloves before zipping and snapping his jacket. “Let me know if you need anything else, otherwise I’ll see you at the center on Saturday.” He pulled his hat onto his head and donned his gloves.

 

Mel opened the door and let Justin out. “It was nice meeting you.” Lindsay joined her at the door and waived to Justin. “Thanks so much, we’ll see you Saturday.”

~~~~~~

Mel was coming down the stairs when the door opened and Gus burst inside.

 

“Mama! Mommy!” he cried out.

 

Lindsay came running out of the living room.

 

“Mama! Mommy! We had the BEST time!”

 

Brian came in and closed the door behind his son. A smile played on his lips.

 

“Christ! He nearly gave me a heart attack, I thought something terrible had happened,” Melanie glared at Brian.

 

“Nothing dire, I assure you.  We had a very enjoyable evening. We went skating at Schenley Park, then had dinner.”

 

“It was the best time!” Gus gushed. “We had hot chocolate with little marshmallows, and Dad showed me how to skate backwards - but I’m going to need to practice that a bit more. I think I need my own pair of ice skates!” Gus looked up at Brian with big brown-green eyes. Brian was a goner.

 

“I think we’ll wait on the skates until you finish your next growth spurt,” Lindsay laid her hand atop Gus’ head, idly stroking the chestnut colored hair so like his father’s. “It’s time for bed.”

 

Gus made a face, but started to climb the stairs. “Will you tuck me in Dad?”

 

“Sure thing Sonny Boy, I’ll be right up after you take your bath. Don’t forget to brush your teeth. Call me when you are in your pajamas.”

 

“Brian, while you're waiting on Gus...” Lindsay headed toward the dining room, motioning for Brian to follow. Brian and Melanie followed.

 

“Brian, uh, I know it’s not your weekend, but Melanie and I were hoping that we might be able to get you to take Gus for part of the day on Saturday. Mel and I are in charge of the art show at the GLC on Saturday and I won’t be able to give Gus the attention that he’ll need.”

 

“Sure thing, Linds” Brian agreed, not paying attention as she continued. He was distracted by the sketch of his son on the table.

 

“... I mean, I could get a sitter, but Gus really enjoys spending time with you. I thought you could drop him off at the center around 2:30, by then, the reception portion should be wrapping up.”

 

“No problem.” Brian was looking over the sketches of the Diner now.

 

“It’s not like you have anything better to do,” Mel harped.

 

“I’d be happy to spend Saturday with my son.” Brian agreed.

 

“Please, Brian, I really.... what?!”

 

“I said that I would be happy to spend Saturday with my son. In fact, why don’t I pick up Gus from School on Friday and he can spend the night. We’ll do something Saturday morning and I’ll drop him off at the Center on Saturday, around 2:30”

 

Mel stared at Brian. “All right, who are you and what have you done with Brian? Was their an alien landing that didn’t make the paper?”

 

“Why Mellie - you care!” Brian quipped.

 

“You hate the GLC, you wouldn’t be caught dead at the GLC, what gives?”

 

“Are these part of the art show?” Brian asked, ignoring Mel’s snarky remarks. He had spread out the Park and Diner scenes. So far he hadn’t discovered the sketches of himself - they were face down at the end of the table. “These are good - who’s the artist?”

 

“Yes, they are going to be part of the exhibit. Justin - that’s his name, Justin Taylor - is a very talented artist.”

 

“Taylor, you say” Brian murmured poking his tongue against his cheek. He studyed the sketches more closely, taking in the the initials JT which graced the bottom right corner of each sketch along with the date.

 

“Yes, Justin was a student at PIFA. He’s been getting good press. He was part of an emerging artist show we did at the Gallery a few years back. He’s had moderate success with group and individual shows in Europe, Canada and New York. Most of his stuff is abstract, large scale canvas work that he does with the aid of a computer. He also has a lucrative art design consulting business. I kept in touch with him after the emerging artist show. I think Sydney - my boss - is thinking of having him participate in a Pittsburgh artists show, now that he is becoming well known.”

 

“Well he sure has managed to capture ‘the family’ now hasn’t he?”

 

Lindsay nodded, as she leaned over Brian’s shoulder.

 

“I’ll go check on Jenny Rebecca and Gus,” Melanie said storming out of the room.

 

“What was that all about?” Brian muttered, when Lindsay crossed to the stairs to watch her partner’s retreat. Having inspected the six sketches, he started to stack them up at the corner of the table. He turned over the two remaining sketches and was taken aback by his own image. He had known that the artist was sketching him, and planned to put the sketches in the show. However, he didn’t know what he expected when it came to the final product.

 

Of course, after seeing his other work, Brian knew that he shouldn’t have expected anything less than what was before him. His own eyes stared boldly back at him. Brian stacked his portraits along with the other sketches. As he was crossing to the stairway, a flash of white caught his eye.

 

 

A bit of fringe on the floor. Brian stooped to pick up the scarf that lay in a pile below the table. Brian threaded the scarf through his fingers, rubbing the fringe between his thumb and index finger. The silky softness and smooth texture felt sensual against his skin. He folded the scarf up and put it in his pocket. Brian then headed up the stairs to say goodnight to his son.