- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin and Brian each come to terms with Jennifer.


 


 


I've had some feedback suggesting I supply the definition for the word "sybaritic" The Oxford English Dictionary Thesaurus defines the term as: sybaritic - luxurious, extravagent, lavish, self-indulgent, pleasure-seeking, sensual, voluptuous, headonistic, epicurian, lotus-eating, libertine, debauched, decadent Knowing our boys, that's exactly what they like!


 

March 18, Justin’s Gas Station

 

Justin pulled the Element up to the corner of Tremont and Liberty just as his mother parked her Honda in the front lot.

“Hi Mom,” Justin greeted his mother with a hug and a kiss.

A bit taken aback by her obviously happy son, Jennifer gave Justin a big hug in return. Over the last day she had considered how this meeting would play out. She had decided to hold off on any questions until they were at lunch. She wanted to see what Justin would reveal without being asked or feel like he was being interrogated. She hadn’t been able to get anything out of Daphne other than the fact that Justin seemed to be happy with Brian.

“Hello, darling,” Jennifer linked her arm in her son’s. “Ready to give me the tour?”

He nodded and led her into the converted service station. He had spoken to Julio the day before. Most of the work was completed. They were waiting for inspections to be completed and the certificate of occupancy then Justin would be able to move in. The protective covering for the floor and the counter space had been removed. A path of heavy duty plastic path was all that remained.

Justin led his mother through the kitchen, living room and bedroom. She made positive noises and approving remarks. Lastly he led her into the bathroom.

“Good Lord, Justin!”

“Huh?”

Jennifer had admired the understated and practical use of the space throughout the rest of the rooms, but the bathroom was something else. It’s appeal to the sybaritic senses was evident. Jennifer looked at her son - just what had happened to her lovable boy in California?

Justin grinned. “It’s called a bathroom, mother.”

“But it’s so... so...”

“So?”

“Face it Justin, that shower’s designed for more than one person.” Jennifer faced her son.

“I can always hope!” Justin grinned back at his mother.

Jennifer couldn’t help it, she laughed. “Where did you ever come up with the idea of... of...” Jennifer waved her hands to indicate all that the room encompassed.

“I guess I’ve learned to appreciate the enjoyment of a long, hot shower.”

Jennifer darted a glance at her son, then the shower. She decided she didn’t really want to know.

“And to think of all the trouble I used to have getting you to take a bath.” She chuckled.

“Mother!”

“Oh Justin, take me to lunch.”

~~~~~~

They decided to eat at a small bistro a few blocks from Justin’s. Justin waited for his mother to broach the subject of Brian. By the time their food arrived Jennifer still hadn’t said anything. Justin decided he’d have to bite the bullet.

“So I guess you were wondering what that was all about on Sunday.”

Jennifer schooled her features to stay neutral. She was so happy that her plan had worked. By not forcing the issue Justin was the one to bring up Brian. “Well, I guess I would like to know a bit more...”

“I met Brian a few weeks ago. We seem to be on the same flights back and forth to New York every week.”

Jennifer nodded her head.

“Well, he and I are ... we’re... well, I guess you could say we’re seeing one another.”

“That’s nice.”

Justin shook his head. Did his mother just say what he thought he heard? “Nice?” Nice seemed like an awfully banal term for his and Brian’s relationship. “Mom, nothing about my relationship with Brian is ‘nice’. Incendiary, perhaps...”

“Justin, I’m trying to be supportive here...”

“I’d rather you just be honest.”

“Well, to be honest, I’m a bit ambivalent. On the one hand I want you to be happy. And when I saw you this morning, you looked happier than I’ve seen you since before you came home to Pittsburgh. On the other hand, I’m not sure what to think about Brian. He’s much older than you are - at least ten years. But who am I lecture on that one - you’ve been pretty good of late regarding my relationship with Tuck.”

Justin nodded. He had come to terms with his mother’s relationship with a man more than fifteen years her junior. On that front, she definitely shouldn’t be the one to cast the first stone.

“Then there’s my experience working with Brian. In the work environment, from what I’ve observed and experienced, he can be tenacious, uncompromising, and demanding. But he’s also highly principled, hard working and exceptionally fair. He can be a bit scary at times, but I find I like working with him.”

Justin had observed the same qualities in Brian as his mother had. Brian had his own code that he lived by. You may not like it, but Brian didn’t waiver. He lived by his own set of principles and was faithful to them.

“Then there’s the whole thing about his lifestyle - his sexual exploits, the drugs, the booze. I’d like to think what I heard on Sunday was all rumor, but it was his friends saying those things, you would think that they would know. But in my observation of him Sunday, and the times I’ve interacted with him through work, he’s been sober and never inappropriate with the people present - well, except the two of you on the stairs, but I don’t think either of you was planning on an audience. It’s hard to reconcile the man I know with the man that was described on Sunday. Of course, that was before I saw the two of you going at it.”

Justin had the good sense to look a bit sheepish as his mother reminded him of the clench she found the two of them in.

“I guess I should explain that one.”

“It would be nice. I believe I’ve been pretty patient.”

“It’s a bit embarrassing - it’s not like I’m ashamed or anything. I’m a grown man, and Brian certainly is as well. It’s just that when I’m with him it’s difficult for things to stay tame.”

Jennifer held her hand up. “Too much information. Just tell me what you see in him, and what he sees in you. Do you really believe this thing you have will go anywhere?”

“I don’t know.” Justin responded honestly. “I don’t think Brian knows either. Brian admits that many of the things said about him on Sunday are true - but most of it is ancient history, things that happened over five years ago, before he started Kinnetik. It’s different for him now. But Brian’s never had a boyfriend, he’s never been in a relationship - he told me so himself. He doesn’t date, and as far as I can tell from what he’s told me, I’m the only person he’s ever seen beyond a one night stand. I’m not going to lie to you, besides I think you’ve probably guessed anyway, we’ve been sleeping together.”

Jennifer nodded and tried to keep the consternation from her face.

“I like him mom - more than I ever thought possible. The time I spend with him is amazing. We spent all yesterday afternoon walking around his property in West Virginia. We talked about everything - my art, his work, our dreams, our fears. He gets who I am. He understands my art. And I think I understand him - more than his friends. I think he needs me in a way he hasn’t begun to understand or accept.”

Jennifer raised a hand to her son’s face to cup his cheek. “You always look for the good in people, you have such a big heart.” She tucked an errant hair behind his ear. “I hope he realizes what a treasure he has in you.”

“He doesn’t. He’s isolated himself for far too long. It’s odd, he kind of sits outside of the circle observing. His friends vie for his attention, but they don’t seem to understand that he needs to be included as well. Some of that could be the aloof way he holds himself apart from them, but he doesn’t do that with me.”

“You probably challenge all his well defined barriers. He’s lucky to have you in his corner.”

Jennifer looked at her watch, 1:30. “I have a meeting with him at two. I guess we better hurry up and finish our lunch.”

After fighting over who would pay for the bill, Justin and Jennifer left the Bistro and strolled back to the service station.

“Will you be home tonight?” Jennifer asked.

“I don’t know.” Justin responded honestly. “If Brian asks me to go to West Virginia, I will.”

“Well, stay safe.”

“I will.”

Jennifer kissed her son on the cheek. “I love you, Justin.”

Justin hugged his mother. “I love you too, Mom.”

~~~~~~

Jennifer entered Kinnetik at five minutes to two. Cynthia escorted her into the conference room telling her that she’d let Ted and Brian know she’d arrived. Ted was the first to show up, and Jennifer asked him if he’d be willing to let her have a few moments alone with Brian before starting the meeting.

Ted looked a bit surprised, but nodded his head. “Ask Cynthia to give me a call when you’re ready,” Ted told Jennifer as he retreated to his office.

Brian came into the conference room at about ten minutes after two. He looked at Jennifer, “Ted hasn’t made it down yet?”

Jennifer shook her head, “I asked him to give us a few minutes alone before the meeting.”

Brian raised an eyebrow, but otherwise kept quiet. He’d let Jennifer lead the conversation.

“I find myself in an awkward position - that of parent as well as employee. I love my son very much and I have reservations about his having a relationship with you...

“We’re not in a relationship.” Brian interrupted.

Jennifer held up her hand. “Relationship, affair, dating, boyfriends.”

“I don’t date!” Brian murmured under his breath.

“Whatever you call it,” she continued. “From what I know of you, from the brief time we’ve worked together, I find you to be a good, if somewhat brutally honest, person. I’m not sure you’re who I’d choose for my son to love...”

Had Justin told his mother that he loved Brian? Brian panicked. Seeing alarm in Brian’s eyes, Jennifer intervened. “Don’t worry, he hasn’t told me he loves you. About all he knows for sure is that you share a strong attraction for one another...”

“Mrs. Taylor...”

“Jennifer...”

“Jennifer. What is this all about? Do you want me to quit fucking your son?”

Well, Jennifer thought, she had said brutally honest. “Uh, no.” She shook her head. “I mean, it’s none of my business.” She finished a bit flustered and breathless. “Look, this is awkward for me. I came to say that since things had changed, if you wanted me to resign my position, I would.”

Shit! Brian thought, she’s doing this for her son. She’s going to give up a half a million dollars in commissions for her son.

“Mrs. Taylor...”

“Jennifer...”

“Jennifer. Why would I want to get rid of the only hardworking, reliable and - dare I say it - honest realtor I have been able to find? No, I don’t have any interest in you resigning. Whatever goes on between Justin and myself is no one else’s business - as you pointed out. Just as what business you and I transact has nothing to do with Justin. Can we get on with our meeting now?” Brian was getting a headache.

 

Jennifer smiled - so like her son - Brian had to smile at that.