- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is a bit longer than usual, it is a string of vingettes.  There wasn't a good place to break it up without screwing with the continuity - hope you enjoy.

 

 

April 2 Justin’s Studio

Today was Wednesday, and Brian spent his Wednesday evenings with Gus.  Justin didn’t really expect to see Brian that night - any more than he had expected to see Brian last Wednesday night.  But somehow, there he was, tapping on the glass of the service bay door where Justin had set up his studio.  Justin crossed to unlock the door and let Brian in.

“I see you took my advice.”  Brian spoke softly, smoothly.  Damn! The man could probably make the Gettysburg Address sound sexy.  Justin felt a shiver chase down his spine. 

Justin stood temporarily stunned; not a word would come out of his mouth.

“May I come in?”  Brian asked.

Justin nodded dumbly.  When he didn’t move from Brian’s path, the chestnut haired man leaned in for a kiss, deftly turning the Justin out of his path and into his arms.

“Ahhhh...” Brian felt satisfaction as his tongue invaded Justin’s mouth.

“Uh, Justin...”

Brian sighed heavily at the voice that interrupted.  Justin looked over Brian’s shoulder, he had forgot that someone else was in the service bay studio.  Brian could do that - make him forget.

“Derrick,”  Justin sighed.  He had forgotten his guest.  Brian turned around and Justin turned in Brian’s arms maintaining contact by leaning back into Brian’s chest.  Justin looked at the dark haired man.  “I’d like to introduce you to my friend...”

“Kinney,” Derrick sneered.

“Kirby,” Brian nodded.

“You know each other?”  Justin’s brow furrowed.

Over Justin’s shoulder, Brian glared at the tall dark haired man.  His hold on Justin tightened imperceptibly.  “Yeah.”  Brian’s eyes told Derrick he wasn’t welcome.

“Look Justin, I’m going to go.  I didn’t realize you had plans for the night.”  And with that, Derrick left out the service bay door.

Derrick’s hasty retreat left Justin puzzled.  He crossed to the door, locked it and re-engaged the alarm.  “What was that all about?”

Brian shrugged.  Justin sure knew how to pick them.  Derrick Kirby was a sick son of a bitch.  Brian had banned him from Babylon because of behavior.  Kirby liked young boys.  He got off on hurting them.

“How do you know Derrick?”

“He’s been around. How do you know him?”

“He was at PIFA doing grad work in Graphic Design when I was there.  I didn’t know him all that well.  I ran into him at the art supply store today.  He wanted to stop by and see the new studio.”

“Convenient excuse.”  Brian mumbled.

“What do you mean by that?”  Blue eyes looked into Brian’s hazel ones.

“He didn’t come here tonight to see your studio.”

“Of course he did.”

“No, he didn’t.  Look, let’s just drop it.  Did you have dinner yet?”

Justin nodded, “Yeah, you hungry?”

Brian pulled Justin gently into his arms, “I’m always hungry.”  He swooped down and captured Justin’s mouth in a kiss.

~~~~~~

Thursday, April 3

Brian paced from his desk to the sofa in his office as he waited for Justin to answer his cell phone.  On the fifth ring, Justin finally picked up.

“Hello,” Justin sounded distracted. He’d been working on a painting all day.  He’d skipped breakfast, and only nipped into the diner to pick up a sandwich for lunch.  As if on cue, his stomach growled reminding him that he better not forget dinner. He wouldn’t have answered the phone, except that he knew it was Brian by the ring tone.  Brian rarely called him and certainly not in the middle of the day.  Sometimes he would call at night when he was figuring out where he was planning on sleeping.

“Hey,”  Brian responded.

“Hey,” Justin replied.

Stellar conversation here Kinney. “Are we going to West Virginia this weekend?”  

Justin wasn’t sure he heard correctly.  Did Brian just ask Justin to make plans?  This was new.  Though they had spent the better part of the past month together, they never made plans.  Justin had known that any push to move beyond the easy flow that they had going would cause Brian to erect a barrier.  He proceeded cautiously.

“I thought you had Gus for the weekend.”

“Yeah, I was planning on going out to the house with him tomorrow and coming back on Sunday.  I thought you could join us.”

“You’ll be tied up with Gus.  He’ll want your full attention.  Besides, I need to work on the pieces for the upcoming show.  I have plans Sunday.  You should probably just spend the weekend with Gus.  You’ll be busy.  You don’t need me.”  Justin didn’t really want to spend the weekend in Pittsburgh, but now that his studio was set up here and he could work he needed to.

“Gus goes to bed at 8:30.”  Brian retorted.

Justin smiled.  This was more like the Brian he knew.  “Listen.  Why don’t you drive out with Gus tomorrow.  I’m working on a painting, I’ll see how far along I can get by tomorrow evening.  I’ll drive out to West Virginia in my car, I’ll be there by the time you finish tucking Gus into bed.”  Justin lowered his voice seductively, “if you’re a good boy I’ll see that you get tucked into bed by nine.”

Brian smiled and felt his crotch twitch.  He pushed forward, “Are we doing anything tonight?”

Justin thought.  He’d run into Emmett in the diner and promised to meet him and Ted for a drink at Woody’s around eight.  “I have something I have to do at eight, but I’m sure I’ll be done by 9:30 or ten.  You could call me, or we could meet here at ten.”

Brian was less than enthralled with waiting until ten to see Justin, but he didn’t plan on spending the night alone at the loft.  He supposed he could go to Babylon and pick up a trick for the evening, but it wasn’t very appealing.  Mikey had been hounding him to meet him and the guys at Woody’s for drinks.  He could do that, then meet up with Justin.  “Ten at the service station it is.  Later.”

“Later.”

Brian folded his phone closed and paced a bit more.  He stopped and opened his phone up again and dialed.  “Shirley, put Bob on, please.”

~~~~~~

Woody’s hadn’t changed much over the years.  Oh the posters of the hot guys got updated, and the figures and toys were rotated, but it was still a place to have a drink, shoot some pool, play some darts and hang out with your friends.  Brian stopped at the bar to pick up a beer on his way to the booth where he saw Michael, Ben and Blake.

“Hey,”  he gave them an upward nod.

“Brian! You made it!”  Michael enthused.  He slid over in the booth and made room for Brian.

“Mikey,”  Brian kissed Michael on the cheek, he nodded to Ben and Blake.  “Where’s the rest of the six pack?”

“They’re shooting pool,” Blake indicated pointing his bottled water toward the pool table.

Brian followed Blake’s water bottle.  Drew, Emmett, Ted... and Justin were shooting pool.  Brian wondered what Justin was doing here.  He spent a few minutes talking to the guys before he rose and sauntered over to the pool table.  Justin’s back was to Brian as he leaned over to sight his shot.  Justin was draped over the pool table with his fine bubble butt pushed out.  Brian couldn’t refuse the invitation.   Brian leaned over Justin’s body, rubbing his crotch into Justin’s ass as he whispered into his ear.  “You look hot, I’d fuck you.”

The combination of Brian’s body and warm breath made the cue jump.  The cue hit the ball at the felt causing it to pop up and jump the side of the table.  It rolled off toward the jukebox.

“Brian!” Ted whined. 

Emmett laughed and clapped his hands. 

Drew chuckled and took a swig of his beer.  He retrieved the cue ball and placed it back on the table.

Justin straightened slowly and turned around frowning.  “If we lose the game I’m out twenty bucks. You’ll owe me.”

Brian slung an arm around Justin’s shoulder and whispered in his ear.  “You can take it out in trade - have you seen the bathroom?”

Justin laughed and pushed him away with a “not now!”

Brian pretended to be insulted and wandered back to the booth.

After the pool game was over, the men regrouped back at the booth.  Justin squeezed in next to Brian.  They chatted awhile.  Brian looked at his watch - 9:20, and then at Justin.  “This the thing you had to do?”

“Yeah.”

“You do enough?”

“Yeah.”

“Service station?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re easy tonight, huh?”

“I wouldn’t be too sure.”  Justin rose and grabbing Brian’s hand pulled him from the booth.

“Gentlemen,”  Brian nodded.  “I believe Justin and I will take our leave.”  And with that they departed.

...

“Why did you have to invite him here tonight?”  Michael turned an angry face at Emmett.

“Whoa there!” Drew cut in.

Emmett put a hand on Drew’s arm. “Thanks, honey, but I can take care of this.” 

He turned to Michael.  “Justin is Brian’s partner.” 

Michael made a face and opened his mouth to speak but Emmett pushed on.  “Whether you like it or not, Brian and Justin are in a relationship.  When we agreed to make Thursday nights our night to spend with the old gang and our partners, that includes all of our partners.   Brian and Justin may not be to the point where the rest of us are...” Ted interrupted with a snort and Emmett glared at him.  “But it seems to me that we should be happy that Brian has someone in his life.  So get over it.  Be a bit more supportive of your ‘best friend’.”

~~~~~~

Friday Night, April 4 - Brian’s House West Virginia

It was just past nine when Justin pulled up to the front door at the house in West Virginia.  He figured he’d leave his car out front.  He smirked a bit; Brian would probably bitch about how his ugly car was lowering the value of the house or some such nonsense. 

Before Justin had a chance to test the door or knock, it was flung open and Gus, decked out in pajamas, hurled himself at Justin.  His hands full, it took a concerted effort on Justin’s part to keep upright.

“You’re here! You’re here!”  Gus chanted, hugging Justin’s waist.

Brian strolled leisurely up to Justin and kissed him lightly.  He took Justin’s bags and set them in hall near the closet.  His hands freed, Justin knelt to give Gus a hug.  Justin looked up at Brian with raised eyebrows, “Eight-thirty, eh?”

“We’re a tad off schedule.”  Brian shrugged.

Gus was pulling away from Justin.  He grabbed Justin’s hand and started tugging him down the hall.  “C’mon Justin! Dad said I could stay up so we could show you your surprise!”

“Oh he did, did he?”  Justin allowed himself to be led down the hall to the south end of the house.  Justin looked over his shoulder to make sure that Brian was following.  He hadn’t really been down this corridor except the first night he was here.  As best as he could remember, most of the rooms were empty and unfurnished.

Gus stopped and looked up at Brian.  “Can we show him now, dad?”

Brian nodded and Gus opened the wrought iron and glass door. 

Justin looked inside “What’s this?”

“The solarium,”  Brian responded.  “It doesn’t get much use since we enclosed the pool last year.”

Gus pulled Justin into the solarium.  Justin took in the amazing room.  Designed like an english conservatory, the room was almost hexagonal.  The walls were thick glass framed in ornate wrought iron.  The roof was made up in a similar fashion to the walls, and Justin could make out a watering system that seemed to be integrated into the wrought iron framework.  The moon and stars beamed in and Justin could imagine the room in the light of day filled with sunshine.

There were numerous potted plants - palms, ferns, even trees that grew up to the ceiling.  The floor was slate flagstone - probably designed to weather any watering.  To one side there was a collection of rattan furniture - a couple rockers, a small love seat and a chaise surrounding a low table. To the other side two small cafe tables and accompanying chairs were set up.  Behind them on the wall adjacent to the house was a wet bar and cabinet kitchenette.  Potted plants were strategically placed to section off the room into intimate gathering areas.

“Nice room, too bad it doesn’t get any use.” Justin said.

“I’m hoping it will start to be used again.”

Gus fed up with the conversation tugged on Justin’s sleeve. “Your surprise! Your surprise!”  Gus pulled Justin past the screen of plants.

Fully a third of the large room was devoid of plants and most furnishings.  There in the center of the space, looking out into the winter landscape was an easel.  There was a stool nearby.  A large rectangular stainless steel cabinet on casters stood off to the left.  Piled high on the cabinet were an assortment of paint brushes, tubes of paint and other painting supplies, chalks, sketchpads and a stack of stretched canvases in varying sizes.

Justin looked questioningly at Brian.

Gus interrupted, “Are you surprised?  Do you like it?”

“It’s amazing,” Justin answered Gus, but never took his eyes off Brian.  “I love it.”  Justin paused, then spoke in quiet but confident voice.  “I love you.” 

Justin moved to Brian and gently kissed the older man.  Then as if a spell was broken, Brian pulled Justin into his arms and kissed him soundly.

“What about me?” Gus pushed between their legs.  “I helped!”

Justin looked down at Gus and hugged the little boy to him. “And I love you, too.”

Gus grinned happily up to his father who joined the embrace.

After another hug, they moved apart.  Brian caught Gus up under the arms and sat him on his shoulders.  “Bed time young man!”

“Aw, dad!”

“Don’t ‘aw, dad’ me.  I think we’ve had a long enough day.”  He looked to Justin. “All of us.  It’s time to hit the sheets.”

Justin grinned and shook his head at Brian’s turn of phrase.  He followed Brian and Gus out of the solarium, closing the door behind them.  Fetching his bags, he followed them up the stairs. 

~~~~~~

That night Justin felt a shift in his relationship with Brian.  After tucking Gus in for the night, Brian joined him in the bedroom.  Justin had already undressed and was in bed. 

Brian took his time preparing for bed.  He used the bathroom and brushed his teeth.  He removed each garment slowly, and finally crossed to join Justin in the bed.  Brian gathered Justin into his arms, holding him gently.

Justin turned in Brian arms so he could look into those deep hazel eyes.  They seemed to burn with gold.  Justin softly stroked Brian’s chestnut hair, as he reigned feathery kisses along his jaw.  Finally, he lifted his lips and joined them with Brian’s.

The kiss was deep and satisfying; slow and languorous.  There seemed no rush, no urgency tonight.  Justin took his time caressing every feature of Brian’s face.  He painted it with his fingertips - the fine brow, the noble nose, those soft lips, the strong jaw.  Justin moved to kiss Brian’s neck.  He breathed in Brian and sighed happily.  Nothing compared to the scent that was Brian.

Justin worked his way downward.  Across Brian’s chest - pausing to catch a nipple between his teeth, lightly nipping.  He continued his journey following the taut skin over toned muscle.  His tongue wound a path to Brian’s navel and stabbed, before following the arrowing of light hair. 

Brian caught Justin’s hand in his and their fingers intertwined.  His other hand lightly stroked the soft blond that surrounded Justin’s face.  Justin gazed up at Brian; he rubbed a cheek across Brian’s taut stomach.

By the time Justin reached Brian’s cock, it was leaking profusely. His tongue darted out from between his red lips and licked.  Brian let out a satisfied moan.

Slowly, Brian lifted Justin away from his body.  Justin murmured a protest and looked into Brian’s eyes.  Justin saw the heat and passion reflected in their gold flecked depths; he quieted and stilled.

Brian caressed Justin’s shoulders and pressed him lightly back against the mattress.  Lightly brushing Justin’s lips with his own, Brian began with slow open mouthed kisses along Justin’s ribs.  Brian’s hands stroked Justin’s legs, keeping contact with moist skin, as he lapped at Justin’s nipple.  Each stroke, each kiss sucked Justin in a little more.  He writhed beneath Brian gentle care. 

This was so different to their normal fiery encounters.  Not in a bad way, just different, perhaps even better. 

Brian’s tender adoration of Justin’s body seem more caring, more loving, more intimate.  The passion was there, but it was a slow heat building.  Justin’s skin seemed more sensitized - each place Brian kissed, each limb Brian caressed.  Justin nearly wept with wanting.  Justin longed to hurl himself into Brian’s arms, to turn up the flame, to burn himself in the heat that he knew.  But something held him back, something told him that it would be worth the wait.  Their time together would be even better, stronger, more satisfying.  This was beyond the mutual physical attraction and satisfaction that they already shared.  Justin could feel it, he craved it, he yearned for it, he wanted it and he knew it would be his.

Brian moved up Justin’s body, cloaking it with his own.  Justin sighed as Brian captured his mouth in a kiss that stole Justin’s breath and seared his soul.  Finally, their bodies aligned, Justin reveled in weight of Brian body atop his. 

Brian shifted, but Justin stopped him.  “Don’t move yet.”

Brian relaxed against Justin, murmuring into the younger man’s lips between kisses.  “I’m crushing you.”

“No.  You’re not,”  Justin whispered.  “You’re where I want you to be.”  He feathered kisses along Brian’s lips and jaw. 

Content to lie with Justin a few minutes more, Brian continued to kiss Justin exploring the depth of the younger man’s mouth.  Brian’s tongue took an inventory of every tooth. He tasted every crevice, exploring every pocket and region, mentally making a relief map of each crest, valley and grotto. 

Over and over again Brian’s tongue danced against Justin’s until the blond whimpered and mewed.  Only then did Brian resume his strokes and caresses of Justin’s legs, Justin’s arms.  He rubbed their bodies together in a painstaking slow and sinuous fashion.  When the fervency became unbearable, he relented.

Hooded hazel eyes looked into passion darkened midnight blue and Brian whispered gruffly. “I need you; I need to be inside you - now.”

Justin moved to shift position, but was stilled by Brian’s hands on his arms.  “No, I want to see you.”  It was Brian’s turn to move position.  Reluctantly he pulled away to make space between them, though his hands never left Justin’s body.   His fingers slid the length of Justin’s torso.  They swept along Justin’s hips which raised to meet his touch. 

Slowly Brian lubricated his fingers and prepared Justin.  As each finger entered him, Justin could feel the heat build.  His body sought the satisfaction that only Brian could provide.  Brian removed his fingers and pressed into Justin, taking care to be slow and gentle.

Justin eyes sought Brian’s as Brian pushed further into him.  He wanted Brian closer, deeper.  Justin pulled at his shoulders and Brian leaned into kiss him.  Justin kept his eyes on Brian as he felt him push in completely. 

Brian waited for Justin to adjust.  A push back signaled that he was ready for more.  There was nothing more satisfying than this.  Brian realized that no trick could make him feel like Justin.  Brian rubbed Justin’s hips and belly, as Justin reached out to grasp Brian’s hand.  Their hands met, and lacing his fingers through Justin’s, Brian squeezed.

As Brian began the familiar rhythm, the slow heat turned to flame.  Each pull, each thrust. Deeper. Harder. Faster.  Brian grasped Justin and began to fist him in time with each push and pull.  His fingers followed Justin’s length and grazed over the sensitive tip with his thumb.

“Brian!” 

Brian leaned in to kiss Justin.  He could feel that the younger man was teetering at the edge.  A few more strokes and Justin fell, his whole body shaking.  It was more than Brian could bear.  The contracting of muscles surrounded Brian and held him captive, his body responded in kind filling the condom.  Brian collapsed onto Justin, his legs splayed wide to make room for his lover.  His arms embraced the Brian, softly stroking him as shudders chased along their bodies.

Brian lay in Justin’s arms and allowed the younger man to hold him.  Their lovemaking over, the slick wet that sheened on their skin cooled. Brian made to move but a quiet “stay” kept him where he was.  He lay listening to his lover’s heartbeat, feeling his lover’s breathing become normal, feeling his skin warm from the heat of his lover.  He smiled knowing that he was happy in this place.  Too soon he felt himself soften;  Brian knew that he had to move and disengage himself from Justin.  Regretfully, he left the surrounding warmth of Justin.  Rolling to the side of the bed, Brian removed the condom and tied it off, and tossed it in the bedside bin.

Brian lay back on the bed, pulling Justin to him.  Justin lay his head on Brian’s chest and reached out to maintain contact, placing his hand over Brian’s heart.  Brian held Justin to him with one hand, while his fingers smoothed the damp strands along Justin’s hairline.  Neither man felt tired, both felt an overwhelming sense of contentment and ease.

Justin traced circles along Brian’s ribs.  “Brian?”

“Hmm?”

“Why did you do it?”

Brian was confused, what was Justin asking?  “What?”

“The solarium.  Why did you set up a studio for me?”

“You needed it.”

That didn’t make a lot of sense to Justin, he had just spent the past few weeks setting up his studio at his new home.  Justin propped himself up on Brian’s chest and looked at his face.  He tread carefully.  “Brian, you do know that I’ve just spent the better part of a month setting up my studio in Pittsburgh?  You understand that’s where I work.”

Brian nodded.  Justin lay his head back on Brian’s chest, Brian resumed stroking Justin’s hair.  A few moments went by before he spoke.  It was soft, and Justin strained to hear the words.  “I didn’t want you to have to choose.”

Justin looked up at him.  Brian clarified in a stronger voice.  “I didn’t want you to have to choose between your work and wanting to be here.”  Though Brian didn’t say, and probably never would, Justin heard the implied ‘with me’. 

Justin moved up Brian’s body and caressed his face.  He looked Brian’s gold-flecked eyes and saw the vulnerability in their depths.

It was a monumental step in their relationship.  As Justin spent more time with Brian he had learned that the older man was uneasy about sharing his feelings.  He guarded them, making sure never to leave himself open to rejection.  Brian couldn’t ask Justin to choose him, because he wouldn’t put himself in a position where Justin would deny him.

Justin pressed a soft kiss to Brian’s mouth.  “I love you.” 

Justin could feel Brian stiffen.  He watched as Brian digested the words.  His face normally a mask to hide his feelings showed a range of emotions - uncertainty, happiness, regret.

Brian took his time before responding.  He metered each word carefully.  “I don’t know that I can say those words back to you,” he said quietly, sadly.

Justin leaned closer.  “I didn’t say them to you expecting to hear them in return.  I said them to you because it’s important to me that you know how I feel.  It’s important to me that you know how much your actions mean to me.”  Brian remained silent but looked to Justin to provide answers to his unspoken questions.

“I’ll be happy to hear the words from you when you are ready to say them.  But I don’t need the words, you show me you love me almost every day - the massage in the hotel in New York, staying with me at the service station instead of insisting we stay at the loft, making room for me in your home so I’m able to spend time here instead of dividing my attention between work and where I want to be.  I am sure that one day you will tell me what I already know.  You’re a good man Brian Kinney.  In, the meantime, I’m content to live with each sign that shows me how much you love me.”  Justin lay his head back on Brian’s chest and hugged his body closer to Brian.

Brian was stunned.  How was it that Justin had so much faith in him? He lay awake pondering that question deep into the night holding the blond man, who filled his mind with questions, tightly in his arms.

~~~~~

The weekend passed quickly.  Brian was surprised at how at peace he felt given Justin’s declaration and revelations of love.  Saturday he spent with Gus.  Justin joined them for breakfast and lunch, but utilized the makeshift studio most of the day.  He began work on a new canvass and sketched out some ideas for others.

By dinner Justin emerged feeling satisfied with his accomplishments.  He liked his satellite studio.  He was surprised how easily he fell into work there.  He was pleased at how much he was able to achieve give the relatively short time span.  He cleaned up and joined Brian and Gus for dinner. 

After dinner, while Brian attended to Gus’ bath, Justin checked his messages and email. Later, they all watched a movie in the media room until the small boy’s soft snores told them it was time to retire.

As the night before, Brian and Justin’s lovemaking took a slower and more intimate path.  There were no declarations or revelations tonight, but warm satisfaction and easy slumber.

~~~~~~

Sunday morning Brian awoke to Justin’s tongue winding a trail down his torso.  Justin licked at the well defined muscles and toyed with  Brian’s navel.  Justin continued his attention to Brian, lathing his cock, stroking it with his tongue, traveling it’s length.  Justin swirled wet around Brian’s balls and travelled the path back up the protruding vein.  Just when Brian thought he couldn’t take it anymore, he found himself fully engulfed in the warm, wet cavern of Justin’s mouth.

“Fuck!”

Brian allowed Justin only a few more licks before flipping Justin on his stomach.  He began with sucking kisses on his shoulders, but quickly moved down to the firm globes of Justin’s ass before parting them and delving deeper.

“Fuck!”

Brian smiled from his position between the firm white cheeks.  With a minimum of steps he quickly lubed his fingers, rubbing them together to warm the slick liquid, and readied Justin for their joining.  When he felt Justin loosen and relax, Brian sheathed himself and buried himself in a single stroke.  Justin moaned as pain became pleasure.  Brian waited for Justin to adjust and then began the exquisite torture that they craved. 

Unlike the previous nights, this was raw and animalistic. Justin acknowledged that this was as much of a part of his and Brian’s relationship as the tender loving of the past two nights.  And neither of them would have it any other way.

“God, you are so tight.”

Justin flexed the muscles that surrounded Brian.

“Shit!”  Brian changed his angle and thrust deeper into Justin, hitting that sweet spot.

“Fuck!”

Brian allowed himself a smile.  “Liked that,did you?”

“Yes.”  Justin panted.

Brian repeated the thrust as his hand moved around Justin’s hip and gained hold of Justin’s leaking cock.

Justin groaned and his breath became shallow.  Brian knew Justin was close.  Pacing himself in time with his partner, Brian increased his thrusts - harder, deeper, faster - echoing in time with Justin’s hard cock.  When neither man could hold out any longer, they came with tremendous force, Justin spilling onto Brian’s hand and the sheets, as Brian’s cock emptied into the condom embedded Justin’s warm, tight ass. 

Brian collapsed, narrowly making it to the side of Justin, separating from the younger man and falling onto his back.  His chest heaved as he fought to steady his breathing.  Beside him Justin did the same.  Brian reached his hand aside to grasp Justin’s. Justin turned to him and smiled.

~~~~~~

“So we’ll see you at Deb’s?”  Brian had helped Gus into his car seat in the back of the Jeep and was coming around the vehicle as he called out to Justin climbing into the Element.

“No, I said I had plans.”  Justin’s brow furrowed.

Brian crossed to where Justin stood.  “I thought it was like the last time.”

Justin shook his head.  “I promised Daphne we’d go to the mall, she needs to go shopping and I haven’t really seen her in a while.”  A look passed across Brian’s face, but it was quickly gone - disappointment?  “Are you staying at the loft tonight?”

“I suppose.”  Brian responded with little enthusiasm.  It was almost a pout.  Justin hid a smile behind a cough.

“Would you like to stay with me tonight at the service station?” 

A smile flashed across Brian’s face, but soon turned into nonchalance.  “I suppose.”

“You don’t have to.  I wouldn’t want to make you do anything you didn’t really want to do.”  Justin grinned at the game.

“No.  No, I think I could bear it there, for a night.” Brian smiled back.  “What time?”

“Daph and I should be done by seven, she knows we have a flight out in the morning.”

Brian leaned in and kissed Justin.  “See you at seven. Later.”

“Later.”

~~~~~~

Sunday, April 6 - Deb’s House

“Where the fuck is Justin?”  Deb demanded as Brian and Gus entered the small row house.

“Why hello Debbie, you’re looking enchanting today.”  Brian ignored her brusk remark and moved to join the rest of the gang in the living room.

Gus ran to Lindsay and began regaling her of his weekend adventures.

“...and we made Justin a ar-art-istic studio in the solarnium!  We got paint, and brushes, and paper and an e-sell and... and... Daddy what were those square things?”

“Canvases.”  Brian answered his son, clearly uncomfortable with the amount of attention Gus’ weekend update was getting.  Most of the members of the family were listening intently.

Brian crossed into the kitchen and out to the back door for a cigarette.  Michael joined him.

“So... what... is he living with you now?”

“Michael...”  Brian’s steely tone should have been warning enough.

But Michael pushed ahead.  “You’re with him all the time.  You built him a fucking studio, for Christ’s sake!”

“He needs a place to work when he visits.  The solarium wasn’t getting any use.”

“ Where is the boy wonder anyway?”

“Shopping.”  Brian’s answer was succinct.

“It must be nice to have a sugar daddy.”  In a flash, Michael found himself pushed up against the back wall of the house.

“He’s not spending my money.  Anyway, it’s none of your fucking business how I choose to spend my money or who I choose to spend it on.  You’re crossing the line here Michael.  Leave it alone or you won’t like what happens.”  Brian dropped his cigarette and ground it out with his heel.  He headed into the house without a backwards glance to his longtime friend.

Deb observed the conversation from the window over the sink.  She had an inkling what it was about, but wisely remained quiet as Brian returned from outdoors.

~~~~~~

Monday, April 7

“You staying at the hotel tonight?”  Brian asked Justin on the cab ride into Manhattan.

 

Brian had been quiet since returning from dinner at Debbie’s the night before.  Justin knew something was up.  Physically Brian was as attentive as ever, but he didn’t converse beyond the necessary.  Their lovemaking last night had been hard, fast and urgent.  Gone were the traces of the tender man of the weekend.  It was as if Brian was trying to distance himself from Justin.

“I have to meet with my agent and the gallery owner tonight, I don’t know how late it will go. They want to talk, then go out to dinner,”  Justin equivocated.

“I didn’t get an answer.”

Justin’s lips seemed dry, he licked them.  “I wasn’t sure that you’d want me to stay with you.”

“I wouldn’t have asked you to stay otherwise.” Brian turned and looked out the window. “Do what you want.”

Justin was beginning to know the signs.  He lay a hand on Brian’s arm.  “I’d like to stay with you at The Court.  I don’t know how long this meeting run - I may not be back until late.”

Brian continued to look out the window at the Manhattan skyline, but lay a hand over Justin’s.  “I want you to stay with me", he sighed quietly.  “You’ll get there when you get there.  I’ll leave a key at the front desk for you.”  He patted Justin’s hand, but continued to gaze out the window, deep in thought.  Justin scooted closer to Brian and lay his head on his shoulder.  Brian pulled an arm around Justin’s shoulder and held him close.

~~~~~~

Wednesday, April 9 - Kinnetik

“Hey Brian,”  Ted entered Brian’s office,  “do you have your expense reports up to date?  I’m trying to close the month, and I need them.”

“Yeah, right here.”  Brian sorted through the piles of paperwork on his desk.  He handed Ted a folder with papers and receipts.  Brian returned to working on his computer, effectively dismissing Ted.

Ted flipped through the folder.  “What’s this?”

“Huh?”  Brian looked up from the computer monitor.  He gave Ted and annoyed look, as if to say ‘you still here?’.

“There are three checks in here from J. Taylor, LLC for $250 each.”

Brian knew this would come up, he had hoped that Ted wouldn’t ask questions.  He should have known better.  “Justin’s been staying with me at The Court when we’ve been in NY.  That’s his share of the hotel bill.”

Ted stood looking at the checks, then at Brian trying to process what that meant.

“What?”  Brian prompted.  He wanted to get back to work.  He turned his attention back to the computer.

“Uh, nothing.”  Ted shrugged and headed toward the door.  He hesitated in the doorway and turned to look at ad man. “Brian?”

Brian looked up once again, his eyes clearly conveying annoyance.

“Uh,”  Ted stumbled over the words, but wanted to get them out.  “I’m glad you found Justin.  It’s good for you to have someone to share things with.”

“It’s a hotel room.”

“Yeah, right.”  Ted turned and left, Brian never saw his smirk.

~~~~~~

A knock on the door heralded the next interruption to his day.  Jennifer breezed in, looking like she had just come from the salon.  Her hair and makeup were perfect. Her casual suit made her look comfortable and businesslike.

“Hi Brian.”

“Jennifer.”  He nodded.

“Having a good day?” she smiled.

“Fine, and you?”

“Just great.  Did you get a chance to read through those contracts I left for you?”

“I managed to get through them last night.  Thanks for dropping them off.”  Brian handed her a folder from his desk.  “They’re all signed.  Is there anything else I need to do?”

Jennifer reviewed the paperwork - it all seemed in order.  She shook her head.  “No.  All they needed was your signature.  I’ll get them to the other realtors, and we’ll set a time and place for closing.  I’ll be sure to let Ted know.”

Brian nodded.

Business done, Jennifer forged ahead.  “Justin told me about what you did for him - setting him up with temporary studio space at your country house.”

“He needed somewhere to work if he was out there.”

“Still, it was very nice of you.  Not everyone thinks about other people’s needs.”  She turned to leave.  But Brian’s voice stopped her.

“He told me he loved me.”  Brian said quietly.

Jennifer turned around and looked at Brian.  He didn’t look like the confident, menacing corporate executive now.  He looked shy and uncertain.  It made all of her mothering instincts come forward full force.  She wanted to reach out and hug him - though she was sure that such a move would be uncomfortable for both of them.  Him because he shielded his feelings and need to be human.  Her because he couldn’t accept such a gesture. 

“He means it.”

“How?  How can he be sure? We haven’t known each other that long.”

“Don’t you want him around?  If you don’t, providing him as studio in your home is the wrong way to go about getting rid of him.”

“No! It’s not that, I like having him around, being around him,”  Brian sighed.  “It’s just... just...

Jennifer reached her hand across the desk and pulled Brian by the hand.  She led him over to the sofa and sat down.  Never releasing his hand.

“When he told me about the studio, Justin told me he loved you, too.  He told me he didn’t think you were ready to hear the words, ready to respond.  He’s good and patient.”

“I don’t know that I can love him back.”

Jennifer wasn’t exactly sure about that.  “Is that can’t because you don’t want him or won’t because you’re not willing?”

Brian let out a long breath.  He’d gotten himself in this far.  He’d want someone to talk to.  He hadn’t planned on it being Justin’s mother, but in a weird kind of a way it made sense.  Quietly he replied, “I don’t know if I’m capable of loving him.  I don’t know if I’m capable of loving anyone.”

Jennifer was beginning to understand how Brian worked.  She had been curious about the man her son professed to love.  She thought she understood the professional side of him.  But the personal side?  She thought Debbie might be a willing source to she had gone to her for information about Brian. Fortunately Debbie was willing to go on ad nauseam without thought to why Jennifer was making inquiries.  Jennifer also was able to draw upon the interactions she had witnessed between Brian and her son.  She believed that Brian was capable of love - he just needed to trust himself.

“Let me tell you something.  Justin isn’t one to love lightly.  He’s committed himself to relationships in the past, but not like this.  He’s different with you.  Watching the two of you together - well, I have no doubt.  If you are willing to let yourself love and be loved, I believe that you are more than capable of love, of loving my son.  Your a good man Brian Kinney.”

The words her son had uttered to him last Friday night startled him.  Brian’s eyes sought Jennifer’s and he could see the reflection of her son in her blue eyes.  She meant it, she thought him worthy.

“What if I fuck it up?”

“The only way you could fuck it up,” Jennifer winced slightly at the turn of phrase, “is if you give up on the two of you.  Take some of the drive and determination that you have in business and focus it on your relationship with Justin.”

“I don’t do relationships.”

“Get over it - if you want this to work, you’re going to have to start.”  Jennifer gave Brian’s cheek a light caress and moved to leave. 

Brian caught her hand as she rose from the couch, “Thanks.”

Jennifer smiled down at him, “That’s what mom’s are for.”  She crossed to the door and looked back at him.  “Don’t fuck it up!”  With that she left.

A few minutes later in her car, Jennifer sat mortified.   Had she really just told Brian Kinney not to fuck things up with her son? Had she just lectured him on how to love?  She smiled, the next few weeks were bound to be interesting.  Knowing her son’s tenaciousness, Brian didn’t stand a chance.

~~~~~~

“You were right, Em.”  Ted said over his tuna sandwich.  He had met up with Emmett at the Liberty Diner for lunch.

“What about, sweetie?”

“Brian and Justin - he really does love him.”

“Of course he does, he just doesn’t know it yet.  But what brought you around?”

“Just everything Brian is doing lately.”

“hmmm?”

“Well, you know about him making studio space for Justin at the West Virginia house, right?”  At Emmett’s nod, Ted continued.  “Well, yesterday, I called him about some important real estate papers he needed to review.  I asked him if he wanted me to leave them at the loft.  He said for Jennifer to leave them at Justin’s.  Then this morning, I asked him for his expense reports, and he revealed that Justin and he had been sharing a hotel room in New York for the last three times that they’ve been there together.”

“Interesting.”

“Yeah, they’re all but living together.”

“Maybe that’s next.”  Emmett smiled and turned his attention back to his salad. 

 

To be continued.
Netlagd is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Commuter Flight Stories also liked 466 other stories.