- Text Size +

JUSTIN


I ran out of Woody’s when Daphne called, wanting to tell her everything. One thing that never changed about Daphne was her unwavering support in my life. She didn't always agree with me, but was there for me even when I behaved like an ass. I got outside and she was standing at the bottom of the steps smiling up at me.


“You didn’t tell me you were coming.” I tell her, wrapping my arms around her.


“Brian thought you might want to tell me something.” She tells me.


“I don’t even know where to start. I came back, it was just wanting to know if he was happy and getting all the things he wanted. I didn’t expect us to get back together, just hopefully become friends.” I tell her.


“What do you think now?” She asks.


“There were a lot of things Brian and I could be, but just friends, well that isn’t possible.” I tell her.


“He loved you then, even if he didn’t admit it. Even though I didn’t agree with you taking off the way you did, I think you both needed time to figure out what you wanted.” She tells me.


“We both want the same things. Everything.” I tell her.


BRIAN


Justin and I were playing pool at Woody’s with Emmett and Drew. Ted was picking up a surprise for Justin. Wes got Daphne to agree to come this weekend for the party that Deb and Jen were arranging for Justin and me. I wanted the this party to include people in Justin’s life, not just mine.


Ted let me know they were outside and Daphne called like I asked her to. Justin was beaming when he saw whose name was on the caller ID, but I made sure the bar got louder so he would have to go outside to hear her. He walked right past Wes without seeing him, trying to get outside to talk to Daphne. It only took a couple seconds until we heard them, and left them to talk while Wes was introduced to Drew and Blake.


“It’s nice to meet you, Ted talks about you all the time.” Blake tells him.


“Emmett talks about so many people and your name came up once, or a couple hundred of times.” Drew jokes.


“How about I buy us a round and we can all get to know each other. I feel like I know almost everyone from listening to Justin and Ted talk about all of you. I’m sure Justin will figure out I’m here sooner or later.” Wes laughs.


We were all talking when Justin and Daphne came in and she wrapped her arms around me.

 

“If only he had listened to me, you two would be celebrating years.” She tells me.


“He did what he thought he needed. When he was ready, he came home. That’s all that matters to me.” I tell her.


Justin came over and pulled her off me, kissing me. Emmett laughed, telling everyone how I once did the same thing to Emmett, when he did the same thing to Justin outside Babylon. Justin suggested we go to the diner, since the bar was getting crowded and because he promised Deb to bring Wes to meet her.


Deb was standing at the counter talking to Michael when we came in and waved us to a booth. He turned and looked at all of us as if we had done something wrong. Justin, Daphne, and Wes passed him, not even noticing he was there. He followed everyone and tried to get me to sit next to him when I went to sit with Justin. He grabbed a chair and sat at the end of the booth, when no one would make room for him.


“I need to talk to you, Byron isn’t happy that you won’t see him.” He tells me.


“I don’t plan on changing my mind, so it’s pointless to talk to him.” I tell him.


“He didn’t fight in the club, it was Jeff acting like a jealous boyfriend.” Michael tells me.


“Wait, sorry, but are you actually chasing someone other than Brian?” Daphne asks, looking confused.


“I never chased Brian, that would be your best friend.” Michael tells her.


“And caught him.” Daphne whispers to me.


“Think whatever makes you happy, the rest of us know better.” Ted tells Michael, before he could say anything to Daphne.


“Who are you?” Michael asks Wes.


“Justin’s cousin, not his sugar daddy. Wasn’t that what you implied about me?” Wes asks.


“Speaking of, I hoped you made sure you protected yourself.” Michael tells me, ignoring Wes.


“I always use protection.” I tell Michael, not willing to let him imply anything about why Justin married me.


“Don’t go there, it’s not your business.” Ted tells Michael.


“Since Justin’s been back, apparently nothing is mine anymore.” Michael gets up, walking out.


“Give me a minute.” Wes tells us, getting up and following Michael.


“Wes, he won’t listen.” Ted tells him.


WES


Michael only walked to the side of the building, stopping as if waiting for someone to come after him. I only followed Michael because I was sure he expected Brian to do it. After Ted told me about Michael running all over town acting like an ass about Brian marrying Justin, I thought maybe it was time for someone Michael couldn’t fool to talk to him. I looked at him standing there with his arms crossed, glaring at the road the way a child does when they're angry, not getting why anyone puts up with him.


“Sorry for disappointing you, but I wanted to give Brian a break from solving your problems for you.” I tell him.


“I’m sure that’s what Justin told you, that I was a problem because I didn’t think Brian should put up with what Justin did to him.” He tells me.


“He didn’t blame you for telling Brian what he did. He knew if it was Daphne he would have told her. Can I ask you something?” I ask.


“What?” He asked.


“What did Justin ever do to you that would lead you to constantly blame him for your failures? He gave you the comic, not making you buy him out, and left in a way that gave you back everything you complained to Ted about him taking from you. What did he need to do that would have gotten you to stop blaming him for daring to breathe in your presence?” I ask.


“He could have just stayed away, but no, he shows up and everyone forgives him, because he's Justin.” He tells me.


“But it's okay when they do the same for you? I have to tell you, when Ted told Justin what you said, you almost met me sooner and in a whole lot nastier way. Justin stopped me from coming because he didn't want your mother to ever hear what you said. He protected your ass, while you blame him for everything you never accomplished. Him not meeting Brian wouldn’t have changed that Brian didn't want more from you.” I tell him.


“No one wants more from me.” He pouts.


“You have to give someone a reason to think you're worth their time. It's hard to want someone when all you see and hear is a child, every time they open their mouth. I hate giving advice, but instead of letting the guy off when he does something you don't like, make him work for you.” I tell him.


“Is that what you do?” He asks.


“No, I don't play the game. If you want me, you show me, before you misinterpret that I'm not interested in you.” I tell him, when he stared at me.


JUSTIN


Ted invited Daphne and Wes to stay at his place. Brian told me to go ahead and hang out with Daphne, while he took care of some work he needed to finish. I left when they wanted to sleep, calling Brian to let him know I was on my way.


I opened the loft door and decided Brian was a closet romantic. He had the lights dimmed and jazz playing in the background. He’d moved all the furniture out of the way and was standing there with his hand out for me. I walked over to him and took his hand as he pulled me to him. The music changed to the song we danced to at prom.


“You might not remember, but I can show you.” Brian tells me, moving us around the room.


“We’ve done this before, I remember.” I tell him.


“I want you to remember how it ended before you walked off.” He tells me, dipping me and making me laugh.


When the music ended, he kissed me. “It’s ridiculously romantic.” He tells me, sparking something with the look in his eyes.


“I love you.” I tell him, understanding what he was trying to give me back.


“Even when I didn’t know it, I loved you too.” He tells me.


“Why did you do this? I mean, I love it, but why?” I ask.


“So you will know where you stood in my life, even then.” He tells me.