- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Wes stayed behind when I left, saying he and Gus could follow after Justin and I had a couple days to ourselves. Wes called Justin’s boss, Allen, so he could arrange for me to surprise Justin. I got off the plane and was met by a driver who let me know he was instructed to take me to the set. 

 

Justin was talking to a group of people while they were waiting around, as the director was talking to the actors. It was the first time I got to see that Justin had made friends outside of the people we knew. It’s something he mentioned, but other than the occasional text, was still something I hadn’t seen. I wondered if he knew that the guy hanging on every word he said, wanted him. I wanted to tell the kid he was wasting his time, because there was only one man Justin wanted. It didn’t take long for the kid to realize it though when one of the girls pointed at me. Justin turned and ran to me, it felt good to have him where he belongs, in my arms.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asks.

 

“Keeping the artist from revolting.” I tell him, kissing him so the kid gets it.

 

“You want to get some lunch? We were all just about to take a break anyway. Brett is about to blow and we all leave when that’s going to happen.” Justin tell me.

 

I followed Justin and the others as they went to the lunch truck. We were sitting down when Allen nodded at me. Everyone started singing Happy Birthday to Justin, who turned red when he realized they all knew it was his birthday. The cake was my nightmare, but I shared his with him. 

 

“You remembered.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

“I never forgot.” I tell him, pulling out his present.

 

Justin opened the box, which had a photo of us when we were at the GLC. Daphne got it to me, saying it was one of her favorite pictures. Underneath it was tickets to Ibiza. I wanted to go there with Justin.

 

“We’ll go after you finish here. We didn’t really have a honeymoon.” I tell him.

 

WES

 

I swear this diner should be raking in the bucks with the amount of people that pass through here. When Ted suggests lunch, apparently the only place they go is the diner. Michael was sitting in the booth in the back, so we headed to where he was. Deb came over and dropped off drinks without asking us what we wanted.

 

“She has the memory of an elephant. We don’t even have to order, unless we want something else.” Ted tells me.

 

“Fuck.” Michael whispers.

 

We turned to see what had Michael bothered, when a guy came in, looking directly at Michael. Ted rolled his eyes and told me it was Jeff. I didn’t get why the guy came here, unless it was to fuck with Michael’s head some more. Brian was worried about Michael sticking to his guns where Byron was concerned, but this wasn’t Byron. I told him I’d look out for Michael, since Michael isn’t that great at looking out for himself.

 

“I can’t figure out why he keeps showing up everywhere I go.” Michael tells us.

 

“Has he said anything?” Ted asks.

 

“Not really, but he even came into the shop. It was busy for a change so I was able to ignore him.” Michael tells us.

 

“Can I talk to you alone?” Jeff asks Michael.

 

“Why would I want to talk to you?” Michael asks, at least sounding disinterested.

 

“So I can apologize for acting like an asshole. It wasn’t even really about Byron.” He tells Michael.

 

“You didn’t like me from the minute he brought me to the table. How can you say it wasn’t about Byron?” Michael asks him.

 

“I didn’t like you the minute David stopped calling me and brought you around. When you showed up with Byron, I got pissed because once again you were taking someone else in my life.” He tells Michael.

 

“I didn’t take anyone from you. I can't help that they wanted me.” Michael tells him. 

 

“It's uncanny.” Ted whispers to me.

 

“It doesn’t matter anymore, I'm taking the advice of my friends. Byron isn’t worth the bullshit that comes with him.” Michael tells him. Jeff left as if he heard what he needed from Michael. 

 

“Michael, I'm proud of you.” I tell him. 

 

“Why?” He and Ted ask, confused.

 

“Because you didn't say anything to hurt him, when you had the chance.” I tell him. 

 

“Justin did his best not to hurt me when the situation was reversed.” He tells me. 

 

I reached over and kissed him, not for any reason but because for once he seem to get what he did. “I'm still not interested.” I tell him. 

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Michael tells me, smiling like a kid at Christmas.

 

Ted and I were eating when I saw him. He looked behind him as if he thought I was looking at someone else. Everything about the way he shied away from people looking at him brought out my need to protect him. He ignored me and went to talk to Deb. Deb looked over at me, which meant he was asking, so I gave her my best help me face. She winked then continued to talk to him.

 

“Any clue who that is?” I ask Ted.

 

“I don’t really know, just that he shows up sometimes and talks to Deb.” Ted tells me.

 

“It's Eric.” Michael tells me.

 

“And?” I ask. 

 

“What? It's not like I sit around asking Ma about the strays… I mean the kids she knows.” He tells me when I glared at him. Emmett and Drew came in and sat with us.

 

“What's up?” Emmett asks.

 

“Do you know who that is?” I ask, tilting my head at Eric.

 

“Eric.” He says, like that helps.

 

“Michael knew that much, but is he single, dating, or even gay?” I ask. 

“Wow, you and Justin have the same taste. Weird.” Emmett says, looking over at Eric who smiles when Emmett waves.

 

“What?” I ask. 

 

“Justin sort of pulled a Brian on Eric several years ago. He left here crying and Justin felt like shit, but he didn't want to encourage him. He showed up after Justin was gone and Deb could tell he needed someone to talk to, and she made him promise to come by if he needed her. I've talked to him a little and trust me, if you want him, it's not going to be easy. After what happened with Justin, Eric has a hard time letting anyone close to him.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“To be fair to Justin, the kid misunderstood.” Michael tells us. 

 

“Did you just defend Justin?” Ted asks.

 

“Yeah?” Michael says, confused.

 

“Hey boys, mind if this one sits with you?” Deb asks, practically shoving Eric in my lap.

 

“Deb, I need… to…” He stutters.

 

“Honey, you know I'm not happy unless I feed all my boys. So sit down and eat. Wes will make sure you stay until I'm happy.” Deb tells him and me.

 

“If you want we could sit at another table, instead of you in my lap. Although I don't have a problem with you staying where you are.” I whisper in his ear.

 

“I really should go.” He tells me, even though he’s not moving.

 

“Why?” I ask. 

 

“I'm not into this whole thing.” He tells me. 

 

“Getting to know me?” I ask. 

 

“Hooking up. It's not what I want.” He tells me. 

 

“It's not my thing either, and to be honest, I don't live here. I'm visiting my family right now, but there's something about you that makes me want to at least get to know you.” I tell him. 

 

“Where do you live?” He asks, as the guys all start moving to another table, dragging Michael with them.

 

“California.” I tell him. 

 

“I've always wanted to go there.” He says wistfully. 

 

“You should, maybe see the sites with someone who knows the area.” I tell him. 

 

“Maybe I will someday. Look, there's really no point in getting to know me when you don't even live here. Thanks for the interest, but if I get involved with anyone, they at least have to stick around for longer than one night.” He tells me, making me want to wring my cousin's neck.

 

“He was in love with someone. It wasn’t your fault, what he did to you.” Emmett tells him, from the next booth.

 

“Now that you know I'm a loser, can I go?” He asks, looking at the table.

 

“Eat with me. Give me a chance to make up for what my cousin did to you. Emmett’s telling you the truth, for Justin it was only ever going to be Brian. I know Justin would hate it that you were still hurt by him.” I tell him. 

 

“He told me the truth, but I thought… shit, I thought he had to at least feel something. He was nice until I showed up here.” He tells me. 

 

“Are you going to spend your life letting one bad experience keep you from possibly finding someone? Trust me, it's not the end of the world. At least give Wes a chance to show you not everyone is going to shit on you.” Michael tells him.

 

“Guys, I can handle this.” I tell my helpers.

 

“If you're serious then we can have dinner this weekend.” Eric offers, looking hopeful.

 

“Shit, I'm going to Australia for a week, but I can come back after if the offer is still open.” I tell him. 

 

“I guess I'll believe you if you call.” He tells me, writing his number down and running out.

 

It was a start, and that's all I needed. Michael sat with me after Eric took off.

 

“What?” I ask. 

 

“Are you really going to take off to see Justin and Brian when it's obvious you'd rather be here?” He asks. 

 

“I promised to get Gus there.” I tell him, suddenly thinking I sounded like Brian making an excuse.

 

“Which I can do for you. All you have to do is watch my store for me.” He tells me. 

 

“Is there some reason you want to go there?” I ask. 

 

“Because even if Justin hates my guts, you made me see it wasn’t his fault that Brian wanted him. I want to do it as a way to thank you, and because I owe Justin something.” He tells me. 

 

“Don’t make me regret saying yes.” I tell him, hoping Eric will answer when I call.