- Text Size +
Story Notes:

ofiginally written in 2015 for QAFxchange

   Justin looked in the mirror back stage.  He wore a blue button down shirt and a sport jacket with khaki pants.  His hair was cut short, almost a buzz cut but not quite.  He hadn't shaved in a few days, but didn't have the start of a beard.  He'd been told by Daphne that it made him look sexy.  He looked good, but he wondered how much he'd bring in. 

He had agreed to participate in a fundraiser for the GLC and offer himself as a date.  He wondered again if this was a good idea, but since Brian was unlikely to attend such a fund raiser, he felt he'd be safe. Not that he needed Brian's approval or permission, especially since they had an open door policy on their relationship.  Relationship might be an unusual term for what they had, but it didn't really matter.  He was offering himself as a date and he hoped that he would bring in some good money.

Checking himself one last time, he smiled at what he saw.  He just hoped he didn't get bought by some troll or someone who had a different agenda.  He was known as Kinney's boy toy by some on Liberty Avenue and he was fairly certain there were some guys who would purchase his time just to piss Brian off.  He heard his name being called and he sauntered out to the stage. 

"And here we have Justin Taylor.  Justin tells us he likes art and museums and loves to draw.  He attended PIFA, a real home town man.   Justin says he will make your night unforgettable."  The announcer read from the cue card that each participant wrote about themselves. 

Justin was blinded by the lights and couldn't see who was bidding in the audience.  He smiled at the Emcee and walked with a sway of his hips across the stage as he heard the bidding.

"45," a voice in the audience yelled.

"60," another voice said.

"I'll give 80,"

"100," came another cry from the audience.

"100 dollars, going once, going twice"

"125," came another yell from the audience.

Justin thought it sounded like Brian, but then he changed his mind, knowing Brian would never attend such an event and even if he did, he would never bid for a date with him. 

"140," another voice, from what appeared to be the back of the room, yelled.

"140.  Someone is willing to pay a lot for their evening and I'm sure Justin is worth every dollar.  Just look at his million dollar smile,"  said the Emcee.

"160."

Justin heard the 160 loud and clear.  He didn't recognize the voice, but was amazed that he garnered such a high sum.  He was close enough to backstage to hear that the guy before him had garnered $100 and that seemed to be a lot to him. 

There was a break in the bidding, so the Emcee started again.

"160 going once, 160 going twice, ... 160- sold.  Justin Taylor will be going with the lucky winner.  I hope you enjoy your date and thank you for helping to raise money for the Center."

Justin walked off stage, wondering who bought him for an evening and also what the date would be like if the person had that kind of money to shell out.  He was instructed to give his contact information to the Center and they would serve as the go between in setting up the date.  They wanted to avoid any stalker incidents and this way the buyer would not know personal information about the date.  Justin went to the wings of the stage and watched the remainder of the auction and was impressed that he appeared to bring in the most money.  Again, worry entered his mind as he thought about who would have paid that amount of money to spend the evening with him.  After the auction he thanked the organizers for including him and told them goodbye.

Walking to his apartment, he thought of topics that he might talk about on his upcoming date.  He hadn't been on many dates and while his country club manners taught him how to make small talk, he felt that he owed the winner of the bid a little more than polite small talk. 

The rest of the weekend was busy and he didn't really have time to think about the auction.  It was Sunday evening when the phone rang with the Caller ID of the Center.

"Hello," he answered.

"Is Justin Taylor available?"

"This is Justin," he said as his heart began to palpitate at the unveiling of the "date".

"I'm calling about the auction from Friday night.  Your date has contacted us and wanted to give you the instructions."

"UH,  Okay.  Where does he want to go and when?"  

"He wants to take you out a week from Saturday.  Your date has made reservations for Alteo's and he is sending a limo to pick you up at 7:30."

"A limo.   I thought you wouldn't be giving out my address.  I don't want some stalker showing up at my doorstep after the date." Justin's breathing was shallow, and he had to remind himself to breathe deep so he wouldn't hyperventilate.

"Of course.  I'm sorry.  Your date has provided additional funds to us and we have contacted the limo company.  We value your privacy and safety and will protect that at all costs."

Justin gulped some air at the reassurance of the man.  "Thank you."

"Enjoy your date and thank you again for agreeing to help the Center."  The man hung up and Justin looked at the phone, frowning slightly.

Justin scrolled through his contacts and pushed the button for Emmett. 

"Hi Sweetie.  Teddy and I were just talking about you, burning up those air waves, I guess.   What can I do for you tonight?"

"I'm beginning to think this date thing may not be a good idea.  I just got a call from the Center and the guy who bought me for a date is sending  a limo; a fucking limo to pick me up.  Who wants a date with me that badly that he will pay for a limo?"

Emmett smiled and was glad that this conversation was over the phone and not in person.  He doubted he could keep a straight face. 

"My Georgie picked me up in a limo.  It was one of our first dates.  Let me tell you, it was very romantic."  Emmett sighed at the memory.  He sometimes thought of George and wondered what their life would be like had he lived.  He envisioned whirlwind tours of European cities and eating in the best restaurants, but since it was not meant to be, he quickly cut off those thoughts and replaced them with the fond memories they did share.

"So sweetie, this may be the start of a beautiful relationship." Emmett encouraged.

"But who sends a limo to pick up a complete stranger?" Justin insisted.   He was quiet for a moment.  "You don't think....  No, he would never do anything like that.   And besides, Brian wouldn't have even come to the auction."

"I'd love to chat with you, Sweetie, but I was just leaving.  I promised Darren I'd help him with a new recipe."  Emmett hung up the phone and looked at his friend, Ted.  "Do you think he suspects?  I mean is Brian going over the top with the limo?"

"Don't worry about it Em.  Brian has sworn us to secrecy.  Our job is to show up at 8:00.  I think it will be a wonderful evening."

"Lord help me," Emmett said as he put his hand over his heart.  "I think this next week is going to be very difficult.  Maybe I should just avoid Justin's calls."

"He'll suspect something.  No, we just have to be our normal selves.  I know Brian can count on you."

"Okay.  I'll just be glad when Saturday comes."

Justin had a busy week planned and hoped the days would pass quickly until he had his date with the bidder. Monday his day was packed with meetings and he hoped to work in his studio for a little while.  On Tuesday he had a fundraiser to attend and he knew he was going to see Gus' soccer game on Wednesday.  However, the game failed to keep his mind occupied and afterward he was on the phone to his friend Daphne.

"Do you think it's too late to cancel the date?  I mean it still gives the guy time to cancel the limo."

"Justin, take a few deep breaths and think about this,"  she said as she inwardly laughed at her friend.  She was glad he did not show up at her doorstep with his crazy thoughts.  They'd known each other for too long and he could read her face in a minute, recognizing when she was lying.  "A guy paid a lot of money to take you to dinner at a very public restaurant.  He's also providing you with transportation to dinner.  You won't ever be really alone with him."

Justin listened and said, "Yeah.  I guess you're right.  It's just freaking me out.  So many things could go wrong."

"You've been watching too much TV.  It's a date and a very public one at that.  If he really wanted to do something to you, do you think he would have arranged the limo through the Center?  They know how, when and where you are going and they know the who too.  Not a really good set-up for a crime."

Justin laughed. "Well... When you put it that way, I guess it is a little silly."  Thanks Daph."

"You're welcome.  Now, I've got a date of my own to get ready for so I'm going to get off this phone."

On Friday night Justin went to Babylon and he spent the majority of the evening dancing with Brian and various men.  Luckily the noise level was such that it was hard to have any kind of conversation.  He just enjoyed his time with his friends and Brian. Then the afternoon of the "date" arrived and once again Justin called his good friend Emmett.

"Can you come over and help me get ready?  I really don't know what to wear.  The restaurant is one of the most elite in the city and the guy did pay a butt load of money to take me to dinner.  I want to look nice."

"Of course, Sweetie.  Aunty Em will come to your rescue.  I know your wardrobe of choice is usually khakis and hoodies, neither of which are appropriate for Altius.  I'll stop at the store and bring a few things to try on and we can choose from there."

"Great.  The limo comes at 7:00 so can you get here by 6:00?  I think that should be enough time to try a few things on and get dressed,"  Justin said as he calculated backwards the amount of time he would need to get dressed from the pick up time.

Looking at his watch, Emmett smiled. "That gives me only three hours to find you some fabulous choices, but I think I'm up to the task.  I'll see you in a few hours."  Emmett pushed the end button on his phone and walked to the chair in his bedroom.  Brian had already been there earlier this morning and dropped off three pair of slacks, four sweaters and three shirts.   He wasn't going to leave anything to chance today and felt fairly certain that Justin would call his good friend for fashion advice.  Fortunately, Brian wasn't going to leave the choices up to either man since neither had the fashion sense that Brian deemed acceptable. Emmett had a few hours to kill, so took a bubble bath and gave himself a mani/pedi and a facial.  After all, he had to look his best as well.

Arriving at Justin's a little before six, he handed the bags to Justin. Brian wanted Justin to look gorgeous, but he wanted to avoid him suspecting anything.  He'd shopped at the "Mall" but kept to the high end stores. Daphne had gone with him to pick out the clothes and they'd had a great evening of fun.  He would never suspect Emmett of being underhanded or plotting with Brian and Justin oohed and ahhed over every purchase. 

"Emmett, these are great.  How did you know my size?"

"Sweetie, I used to work in the haberdashery field.  I can tell a man's size just by looking." Emmett rubbed his nails across his chest in a bragging gesture.

Justin tried on all the items and they fit perfectly.  "Oh Em, I don't see any tags on them.  I can't possibly buy all these.  I hope you have the receipts for them.  You'll have to return most of them."

"I have it under control. Remember, frugal is my middle name.  Now let's see if we can come up with the best combination of these clothes for your fancy date."  Emmett picked up a pair of cream colored pants and a dark blue, long-sleeve shirt and gave them to Justin to try on for his first outfit. 

"Very nice, but I think I like the lighter colored shirt on top. Here, let's try the yellow shirt with those pants,"  Emmett said as he handed Justin the yellow shirt.

Emmett admired Justin's physique, but kept his comments and hands to himself.  It wouldn't do to anger the god Kinney.  Although he was a little envious that Justin looked that good despite rarely going to the gym. They'd been trying on clothes for almost 45 minutes and Justin was becoming a little antsy.

"Em, I think this is the same combination we started with.  Just pick something.  I'm not some girl trying on wedding dresses."

Shaking his head in agreement. Emmett said, "Ok, let's go with the charcoal grey slacks and the deep blue button down.  I like that color combination best."

Justin dutifully took off his current combination of cream slacks and grey shirt and put on the suggested items.  Emmett smiled and nodded in agreement. 

"Perfect.  Great for a date.  You are very pleasing to the eye."

Walking over to the mirror in the bathroom, Justin looked at himself in the full length mirror.  Twirling around slowly he looked at all the angles and smiled his approval. He grabbed his favorite cologne, Green Irish Tweed and sprayed a few spritzes.  Brian always said he liked the scent and while his date wasn't with him, he could think of him while he was out with the mystery man.

"I think I'm ready.  Hey Em, can you do me a favor?"

"Of course, Sweetie. Whatever you want."

"If the night gets weird, can I call you to come to the restaurant and rescue me.  Just tell the Maitre D that there is an emergency.  I'd feel better if I knew I could call someone if there was a problem."

"You worry too much, Justin.  But I don't have any plans but to hang out at Babylon later tonight, so feel free to call me if you need reinforcements and Auntie Em will be there in a jiffy."

Justin leaned over and hugged his good friend.  "Thanks for all this.  I'll help you take back all the clothes tomorrow.  I can't believe you picked out all these in just a few hours.  I don't care what Brian says, you have great taste in clothes."

"If you don't get finished too late, come to Babylon and tell me all about ‘Mr. date'.  I'll want all the details."

Laughing, Justin smiled at his friend and walked outside to wait for the limo.

The limo pulled up a few minutes later and the driver opened the door for him.  "There are refreshments in the bar if you would like, sir,"  the driver said as he closed the door and returned to the driver seat.

Justin opened the mini bar and started to prepare a drink, but thought better of it. He wanted to fully enjoy the evening and besides, he was a little leary of who would be at the restaurant.  They arrived at Altius about 15 minutes later and the driver let Justin out. "I'll return at 11:00 to take you home, Sir," the driver informed him.  Justin nodded his head, realizing he hadn't thought about getting home from the restaurant and was pleased to see his ‘date' had arranged for transportation home.  He didn't really relish riding a bus looking like he did and his funds were a little low to pay for a cab home.

As he walked into the restaurant, it occurred to him that he had no idea how to find his date and it would be really awkward to ask the Maitre D for some unknown man who had a reservation at 7:30.  His worries were short lived as the Maitre D approached him.

"Mr. Taylor?"

"Uh  Yes.  I'm Justin Taylor."

"Excellent.  Your party is in the back in the private dining room.  This way please."

He motioned for Justin to follow him  His stomach was in knots and he could feel his heart pounding in his chest.  Maybe it wasn't too late to turn around and walk out of the restaurant.  Of course, he'd have to pay the Center back the money the unknown man paid for his date.  And there was the small problem of how he would get home and what he would do for the next 3 ½ hours while he waited for the pick up.  Forcing himself to take a few deep breaths, he tried to calm himself and entered the dining room behind the Maitre D. 

Sitting at the table was Brian.  The Maitre D pulled out his chair and handed him his menu.  "Have a good meal, sir."

Brian smiled at him and took a sip of water.  "You look nice.  I love the combination of grey and blue.  It suits you."

"What the fuck are you doing here?  I'm supposed to be on a date, Brian.  I think you need to leave."

"I'm your date, Sunshine."

Justin almost spit out the sip of water in his mouth, but managed to swallow it as he opened his mouth wide.  "My date?  Brian....?  How...?  Why...?"

"Close your mouth, Justin.  Use your country club manners, not the ones from Debbie's house." Brian looked at the menu.  "Which do you think would be better:  the Chilean Sea Bass or the Filet Mignon?  I'm leaning toward the fish," Brian asked as if this was a typical evening out for the two of them.

"The restaurant, the limo.... Did you buy the clothes too?"  Justin asked as he remembered a conversation they had a few weeks ago about this restaurant. They'd been talking about nice restaurants and Justin had mentioned that they never went to any nice places.  Usually they ordered from take out or ate at the diner. 

"Bingo.  The man gets a prize.  Now look at the menu and decide what you want to eat.  I'm just waiting for that beast inside your stomach to make its presence known."

Justin didn't know what game Brian was playing but he decided he was hungry and eating sounded good.  The waitress came a few moments later.

"I'll have the Lolla Rossa salad and the Duck Duck Goose," Justin said.

"I'll have the She Crab Bisque and the Colorado Lamb Rack," Brian said.  "I'd also like a bottle of Patz and Hall."

"Brian, what are you up to?  You don't do dates and this is definitely a date."

The waitress brought the bottle of wine and uncorked it for Brian, pouring some in a glass for his tasting.  He sipped it and nodded briefly, giving his approval. She poured each of them a glass.

After she left, Brian took another sip of the wine, savoring its taste.

"Well. Justin.  You're right.  I don't do dates, but this isn't really a date."

"What do you mean it's not a date?  You ordered a fucking limo and we're in one of the most romantic places in Pittsburgh. If it isn't a date, then what the hell is it?"

Brian was enjoying Justin's confusion, but he saw his "family" walking into the room and knew it was time.  He got up and walked to Justin's seat and bent down on one knee.

"Justin, this isn't a date.  It's a proposal.  Justin Taylor, will you marry me?"

He placed his hand in his pocket and took out the box of rings that he'd had engraved years ago when they originally planned on getting married.  He opened the box and took out the smaller of the two rings and held it out for his partner.

Justin looked at Brian for signs of a joke.  Brian's eyes were shining and he looked like an older version of Gus when they told him he could have a puppy for his birthday.  Brian was happy and he was serious.   Justin had wanted this moment for years and yet, he wasn't prepared at all.  He saw the love in Brian's eyes and his heart raced when he knew that look was only for him.

"Yes," Justin said as he put out his hand for Brian to place the ring on it. 

Loud clapping was heard from behind Justin and he turned around to see all his friends and family standing in the room.

"You shit!!!  Why all the secrecy? Everyone knew.  That's why everyone just kept telling me to go.  How did you pull off the date at the Center?"

"Lindsay told me about the auction and the thought of you... I had a friend of mine arrange the bidding.  He was told to out-bid everyone," Brian said softly. Brian placed the ring on Justin's finger and stood up.  He leaned over and whispered in his ear. "Besides, I wanted it to be ridiculously romantic."

Justin smiled as he remembered the conversation from that night so long ago.  He never had fully recovered his memories, but he and Brian were just talking about romantic gestures a few weeks ago.  He remembered how he shared with Brian that he'd always envisioned a fairytale proposal, like in the movies.  He kissed Brian fully on the lips.

"Ridiculously romantic," he said softly.  "You really do love me."

"I do indeed, Justin Taylor.  I do indeed."

The end

The End.
sfscarlet is the author of 29 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked The Date also liked 66 other stories.