- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian has a picnic lunch with his boys…

 

 

Title: Jump-Run-Skip-Kiss…

Story Type: AU

Word Count: 1241

Warnings: Love, Passion, Romance, Angst, Anti-Michael…

Beta Queen: BigJ52

Banner: Predec2

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

 

Summary: Brian and Justin’s journey of love…

 

Chapter Summary: Brian has a picnic lunch with his boys…

 

 

Chapter Thirteen ~ Jump-Run-Skip-Kiss…

 

It was a bright and sunny afternoon, the air still crisp outside, but on the verge of springtime. Today is the first day Justin is picking Gus up from daycare, and we’re all meeting at Liberty Park for a picnic. I’m running late, my presentation for ‘Steelcraft Tools’ ran a little long. The CEO isn’t sure that a garage full of bare-chested mechanics, flexing their muscles is the right image for them. I think they’re complete idiots, and I can’t help wondering why in hell they even approached Kinnetik for their advertising needs. What a waste of time.

 

I hurry out of the office and Michael sneaks up behind me, making me jump ten feet in the air. I continue walking towards my car as I address him.

 

“Christ, Michael! Were you hiding in the bushes in wait?”

 

“Well, kind of…”

 

“Why?”

 

“I need to talk with you, and you’re never available. Didn’t Ted or Cynthia give you my messages?”

 

“Yes. They did.”

 

“Then why haven’t you called me back?”

 

“Because I have nothing to say to you.”

 

 

 

 

“Brian. Please wait. Don’t be this way.”

 

I stop walking, thinking maybe he’s here to apologize. I should at least let him try and explain why he’s been such an asshole. Standing there I just look at him, waiting for him to speak.

 

“Brian. I know you’re still angry with me, but I really need your help.”

 

I’m still waiting, staring at him…

 

“The shop is really struggling right now, and I can’t afford to pay my utilities and rent.”

 

“Has the store even been able to cover its expenses?”

 

Ignoring Brian’s question he continues. “I was hoping you could help me out?”

 

“Here’s my advice. Sell the shop.”

 

“Brian. I can’t. What would I do for a living?”

 

“Get a job where you actually bring home a paycheck.”

 

“Can’t you help me out? I know you can afford it. This is Justin’s influence, isn’t it? He’s turned you against me.”

 

“Michael! This has nothing to do with Justin. I told you last fall that was going to be the last transfusion of cash from me. I wasn’t going to continue breathing life into your failing business.”

 

“Brian. Please…”

 

“Don’t beg. It’s pathetic.”

 

“Brian.”

 

“Michael! I’m late. I have to run.”

 

“Can you meet me at Woody’s after work? Then we can talk about this some more?”

 

“No! I’ve said everything I have to say.”

 

“Brian! Don’t go!”

 

God, I hate it when he begs. I hate that he ambushed me, and I hate that he won’t stop asking for a handout. Is that all anyone wants from me? I’m just about to my car when he runs up to me again, but before he can say anything I ask him.

 

“What? Did you forget to apologize to me?”

 

“What? Why would I apologize to you? I was only telling you the truth, that’s what best friends do.”

 

I don’t even respond. I just start the engine and speed off towards the park, knowing Justin’s probably irritated with me. Fuck! I really hate that Michael makes me feel like I’m running away. I don’t run away from anyone. I really feel like punching something, but I refrain. That’s not who I am. That’s Jack, and I refuse to be anything like him.

 

I park the Vette, and sprint down the path towards the river, smiling when I see my boys feeding the ducks. I can hear them laughing in the distance, and it lightens my mood.

 

“Daddy! Daddy! You’re here!”

 

I scoop him up in my arms, hugging him tight while I lean over and kiss Justin’s cheek. He smiles his sunshine smile at me and all my stress melts away.

 

“Daddy, we’re having a picpic lunch!”

 

“Picnic, not picpic.”

 

“Oh? So what’s a picpic then?”

 

“It’s not anything.”

 

Gus takes my hand and walks me to the river bank.

 

“See, Daddy. There’s the mama duck, and her baby ducks.”

 

“Ducklings. They’re just newborns, still all fuzzy because their feathers haven’t grown in yet.”

 

“I love them, Daddy. Can we take them home? They can live in the pond?”

 

“No, Gus. They’re too young to leave their mother just yet.”

 

“Okay. So we’ll wait until they’re bigger. Then we can take them home.”

 

I decide to let it ride instead of saying no, hoping he’ll forget all about it. Knowing Justin, he’ll probably want ducks for the pond too. He has lunch all set up on the picnic table. It looks good, and I’m actually hungry.

 

“I stopped by the deli down the block. I didn’t want to get into with Deb again, since I had Gus in tow.”

 

“Give her a few more weeks. I’m sure she’ll calm down by then.”

 

“I hate all this tension in the family. It’s like we’re all taking sides. Ted and Em are with us, while Lindsay and Mel are siding with Michael and Deb.”

 

“Well, at least they’ve agreed to let you pick Gus up from daycare, and have him for the afternoons. That’s something.”

 

“Yeah. You’re right. By the way, when Lindsay called this morning, she mentioned the mediation meeting. They want to meet and talk it through at Mel’s office on Friday instead of meeting with our attorney next Tuesday.”

 

 “That’s fine. I’m just surprised they want to meet sooner. But who knows, maybe Mel has to be in court next week. The sooner we resolve all of this, the sooner we can stop walking on eggshells.”

 

“You know, I actually thought they’d give us a hard time. Maybe they’ve come to their senses.”

 

“Call me skeptical. I’m a little suspicious of their motives.”

 

“Brian. Try and think positive.”

 

Gus finishes his peanut butter and jelly, that’s now spread over his hands and face.  Justin cleans him up, then he runs off to play on the swings, while we finish our turkey sandwiches.

 

“So since we’re meeting the munchers on Friday, I think we should leave next Tuesday morning for New York. The conference starts on Wednesday night with a cocktail hour, followed by dinner. Emmett’s flying in with Teddy on Wednesday around noon, so you two can shop and sightsee while we’re at the conference over the next couple of days. And how about you buy a new suit for the Clio Awards dinner on Saturday night?”

 

“What’s wrong with my suit?”

 

“That’s just it. Suit as in singular. You need more than one suit in your closet.”

 

“Oh right. I forgot who I was talking to.”

 

“Daddy! Come push me!”

 

Justin packs up their lunch, while Brian pushes Gus on the swings. He’s swinging really high, squealing all the while. Justin comes over and watches them once he has everything ready to go. Slowly the swing comes to a stop, and they start to walk back towards the street.

 

 

 

 

“Come on, Daddy! Let’s skip!”

 

“Skip?”

 

“Yeah! It will be fun!”

 

“Gus… I ah…”

 

“Don’t worry, Daddy. I’ll teach you how to skip. It’s easy!”

 

“Yeah, Daddy! It will be fun!”

 

Brian turns and glares at Justin. But he loves his son, so he’ll do whatever Gus wants if it makes him happy. Looking around, he hopes no one sees him holding hands and skipping through the park. Once they’re back at Brian’s car, he leans down and kisses Gus on the forehead, and then he pulls Justin into his arms and kisses him passionately.

 

“I’ll see you tonight.”

 

“Later.”

 

“Yeah! Later, Daddy!”

 

TBC…