- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Getting away to New York is just what everyone needed. Then Emmett and Justin have fun playing tourist, while Brian and Ted bask in the accolades of their peers.


Title: Big Kisses, Bright Lights…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 5868
Warnings: Love, Passion, Romance, Angst, Anti-Michael…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
Banner: Predec2

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: Brian and Justin’s journey of love…

Chapter Summary: Getting away to New York is just what everyone needed. Then Emmett and Justin have fun playing tourist, while Brian and Ted bask in the accolades of their peers.


Just Kiss Me…

Chapter Twenty One ~ Big Kisses, Bright Lights

Brian sleeps in for the first time in months, completely relaxed, getting the sleep he’s neglected for so long. I look over at my sleeping husband, he looks so serene and relaxed, finally at peace with his inner demons. I slip out of bed, resolute that from now on I’ll show Brian just how much he’s loved, and appreciated. That he can trust in me, and I’ll always stand by his side. Brian will never have to worry about being abandoned or feel unworthy of love again.





Last night Brian was so open and honest with me about his feelings, and it feels like a real turning point in our relationship. I’m still reeling from all the things I’ve learned, some things I already knew, but the confirmation was greatly appreciated. Some things I have always hoped for, but thought I’d never hear. While other things took me by surprise, even shocked me. But I’m so grateful to now know the truth, helping me understand Brian even more than before.

The biggest revelation was learning more about Brian’s coach, Steven and their relationship. It seems Brian’s strict polices of ‘no repeats’, ‘I don’t believe in love - I only believe in fucking’, and ‘never go after anyone’ was Brian’s defense mechanism kicking in after his heartbreaking romance with Steven. As if his parents hadn’t done enough damage to him growing up, Steven firmly instilled in him, his belief that you can’t trust anyone with your feelings. That you’re the only one you have, the only one you can count on.

But I’d broken through all those walls Brian had built around his heart. Brian broke all his personal rules for me that first year, until one beautifully romantic night when Brian felt he could show me his true feelings. But that moment was taken away from us in a matter of seconds with the swing of a bat. It’s now taken us another four years to start to repair the damage that it caused. But now that Brian’s secure enough to open his heart and reveal his fears, I’m determined to never let Brian return to that deep dark place again. I’m determined to show Brian that love is a beautiful thing.

I finish packing my art case with all my paints, brushes, charcoals, pencils and sketch pads. I’ll buy canvases in New York once we get there. I can’t wait to spend a couple of afternoons in Central Park. I refill my coffee cup and pour one for Brian, then I make my way to the master bedroom. Leaning down, I place a kiss on Brian’s cheek.

“Good Morning, sleepy head.”

Brian opens his eyes and yawns, looking at the clock, surprised that it’s almost eleven.

“Justin! Why did you let me sleep so late?”

“Because you needed your rest.”

“But I wanted to teleconference with Ted during the staff meeting.”

“I know. I spoke with him, and guess what? He ran the staff meeting just fine without you.”

“Are you saying I’m not needed?”

“Oh, you’re needed alright. Just not by your staff.”

I climb up and straddle him, running kisses up his chest to his neck.

“Justin! You’re going in the wrong direction, and you have way too many clothes on.”

I look down at myself. “So I do… But I can change that.”

I stand and pull my t-shirt over my head, then I wiggle out of my jeans.

“Better?”

“Much. Now come here.”

I climb back on top of Brian again, grazing our erections across one another, eliciting a deep moan from Brian.

Leaning down I capture Brian’s lips, kissing him gently. Feeling his breath on my skin sends shivers through me. I reach into the drawer removing a bottle of lube, squirting a generous amount onto my palm. I bring our lips together again, as my hand reaches between us to encompass Brian’s cock. I spread the gel from the base to the tip. Brian’s breath hitches momentarily from the feel of the cool gel. I align myself, lowering myself onto Brian’s member.

“I love it when you take control.”

I smile, loving all the sensations as I take all of Brian into me. My eyes become hooded as I slowly rise up and down, riding my husband. Little moans of pleasure escape my throat. I throw my head back as I increase my downward thrusts.

“Oh, Brian…”

Brian loves watching all the subtle expressions on my face, as I drive myself closer and closer to fruition. Soon I’m overcome with sensations as I lose control, coming across my chest. Just the sight takes Brian right along with me. I collapse, resting in Brian’s arms as we both ride out the waves of pleasure pulsating through us.

“God, you’re so beautiful. I love watching you as you cum. Your lower lip does this quivering thing right before you shoot.”

I babble something incoherent, slightly drooling on his chest.

Brian runs his fingers through my golden hair, as I float in my cum cloud until I return to Earth.

~~~

Later that afternoon, after we’ve checked into the penthouse, we find ourselves at Up Thai. It has a five-star review from the New York Times, and Brian insists that we try it for lunch. I can already tell we’re going be on a tour of fine dining over the next few days, so much for Mr. I don’t eat carbs, blah, blah, blah… Afterwards we take a walk through Central Park. I knew the park was big and beautiful, but I have to say it’s really big and really beautiful! We both already know that I’ll probably be spending time here painting and sketching.

There are so many things to do in the city. I’m making a list so Emmett and I can check them out while Brian and Ted attend the conference. I could spend every day at the museums alone, but I know Em will want to see more of the tourist sites, while Brian won’t want to see any of them. And of course I have to leave one afternoon open to visit Grandma Roxy. We sit and people watch or I do anyways, while Brian is on his phone with Ted and Cynthia, coordinating schedules and checking his email.

We pass an ice cream vendor walking back through the park, and I’m surprised when Brian actually agrees to have a small vanilla cone. I can’t help joking about how it’s probably the only thing vanilla about him. While I love chocolate, he loves vanilla ice cream. It’s an opposites attract thing. We flag down a taxi cab, and arrive just in time for our appointment with Brian’s tailor to see the latest fashions. He can never have too many suits, and apparently he thinks that’s true for me as well. I guess he has plans on taking me out on the town, and out of town traveling in the future.

It’s just like in the movies. We sit in comfortable yet sleek modern chairs, as a half dozen gorgeous models walk the runway in designer suits. He’s drooling over the fashions, while I’m drooling over the models. I can’t help thinking all the suits look basically the same, but he can see each and every tuck, pleat and collar notch that’s slightly different from the others. He spends an exorbitant amount of money on the both of us, and I have to admit I look damn good all decked out. An hour later, after many adjustments, and chalk marks noting all the alterations needed so everything fits just right, finally we’re finished.

Or so I thought, until we begin phase two. He’s now making me try on practically everything in the store. Dress and casual shirts, as well as designer ties, along with a half dozen pairs of shoes. He actually allows me to buy a new pair of sneakers, red high-tops, even though I know he hates them. He’s also picked out dozens of shirts, casual slacks, jeans, and even several t-shirts. Who would have thought t-shirts could cost over a hundred dollars apiece? Of course I’m not allowed to paint in them, or even enter my studio in them, for fear of getting stains on them.





I’m exhausted and grateful when the taxi pulls up to Pepolino’s Ristorante. I know Brian’s splurging, treating me to authentic Italian food, even if it is now past seven. He says the chef is from Tuscany and he has a five-star rating. Yes, he so loves me. We’re having a drink in the bar while we wait for a table, and I notice someone eyeing Brian. I can tell just by the way he’s looking at him that he’s one of Brian’s past indiscretions.

He approaches our table. “Brian Kinney? I thought that was you.”

Brian glances at him. I know he recognizes the guy, but Brian just stares at him like he’s a stranger. It’s obvious that Brian really dislikes this guy, but he doesn’t seem to notice Brian’s contempt.

“It’s Adam, Adam Lyons. You remember, from Kennedy and Combs. We met back in 2000.”

“Ah, yes.”

He still doesn’t stand or shake Adam’s hand. Adam introduces Lenny Montrose and they both sit down and join us, much to Brian’s dismay. Irritated, Brian introduces me as his partner. Adam’s openly flirting with Brian. He keeps touching his hand and arm, saying they’ll have to get together for dinner one evening, just the two of them.

“I don’t think I’ll have the time. Justin and I already have plans.”

But Adam just keeps pushing. I’m racking my brain because I know I’ve heard this guy’s name before. That’s when it hits me. Brian interviewed with Kennedy and Combs, sure he would be offered a job here in New York, but it fell through.

Brian puts his arm around my shoulders, subconsciously running his fingers through my hair, while his other hand is playing with my wedding band.

“Surely you’re not still upset about not being offered that job?”

“Not in the least. It actually worked out for the best.”

Just then a distinguished man approaches our table, who greets Adam in an authoritative manner and then says, “You must be Brian Kinney. I was always sorry you weren’t able to interview with us. Maybe if you had, we could have stolen you away from Ryder and Pittsburgh.”

Glaring at Adam, Brian shakes his hand. “Yes, it’s a shame I didn’t meet you before now.”

“If you had, you’d be working with us, creating all those genius ad campaigns. It’s truly our loss. Well, I just wanted to congratulate you on opening Kinnetik. Your Brown Athletics campaign is sure to win a Clio Award.”

“Thank You, Mr. Kennedy. It was nice meeting you.”

“Please, call me Paul. Well, I’m sure I’ll see you at the conference.”

Brian sits back down and it’s obvious he thinks even less of Adam, now learning that he totally played him.

“Brian. I can explain.”

Brian holds up his hand. “Don’t. Like I said, it worked out for the best.”

Just then the maître d’ approaches us to let us know our table is ready. Adam asks if Brian would like them to join us. “No, my husband and I have a romantic dinner planned for tonight.”
I practically squeal. Brian is being so sweet, and I love how he’s putting Adam in his place without being totally rude. I’m totally in awe of how he’s acknowledging me and our relationship, making me feel like a million bucks. God, I love this man of mine.

~~~




After leaving the restaurant, we walk hand in hand a few blocks back to our hotel. Everything about this city is exciting, and I’m feeling totally romantic. When we enter our suite, there’s a vase of blue orchids and a bucket of champagne waiting for us. I’m overwhelmed, as it’s exactly the same type of orchid we had at our small and very private wedding. Who says Brian Kinney doesn’t do romance? I’m feeling totally giddy, as he takes me in his arms kissing and nibbling my neck, ending with a swipe of his tongue across my ear.

He opens the champagne and we toast to our four-month anniversary. I wonder if he plans on celebrating every month. I could get used to this romantic side of him. He looks happy and it’s great to see him smile. I’m always amazed by how beautiful his smile is. It’s not something I saw very often the first few years of our relationship, and I doubt it’s something he ever shows to others.

The champagne bubbles tickle my nose, as the alcohol tickles my brain.

“I love you, Mr. Taylor-Kinney.”

“I love you too, Brian.”

“I don’t know why I resisted you for so long, it’s not like I wasn’t in love with you.”

“It’s okay. I knew you loved me, even if you couldn’t tell me.”

“I’m telling you now.”

“Thank you, because sometimes I just need to hear it.”

Brian tackles me, pinning me to the mattress. “I love you, you little twat.”

I’m like putty in his hands, and each touch of his fingertips feels like velvet on my skin, and his lips are like silk.

We lie on the bed, as he slowly and gently kisses me as my need for him grows. I wrap my legs around his waist, loving the feeling of our erections caressing each other. We’re creating a slick puddle against our bellies as we grind together. He reaches for the bottle of lube, and coats my pucker. He slips his fingers in circling my rosebud, once I’m stretched open he glides deep into me.

Our dance starts out slow, as I feel him gliding against my tight walls and then he nudges my prostate. He rocks me in his arms, continuingly bumping my prostate, as small vibrations start to build. Soon he’s thrusting deeper, prodding harder and it isn’t long before I’m right at the brink. He slides his hands around my bubble butt and pulls me closer to him, as he stabs my sweet spot until I explode. My muscles clench and squeeze him, pulling him right along with me as we both fall over the edge and into sexual ecstasy.

I drift off to sleep in his arms, with him still inside me. It’s my favorite way to fall asleep. I feel so connected to him especially since we stopped using condoms. I can’t help thinking back to the only conversation we’ve ever had about Ethan. I was practically begging him to ask me to stay, to tell me that he loved me. He sarcastically asked me how big his cock was. I told him it wasn’t about that. That Ethan loved me, and he wasn’t afraid to tell me. With Ethan it wasn’t about sex. There wasn’t any marathon fucks that lasted until daybreak, and I was never sore the next day, barely able to walk. God, I still can’t believe I thought that hearing those three words was love, instead of realizing that Brian’s actions spoke volumes about how he felt.

I just hope that eventually we can put this behind us once and for all. I know I hurt him badly, deeper than I ever realized, and we probably need to explore why I felt so insecure. Because he was trying, really trying to show me how much he loved me, but I was so confused at the time I couldn’t see it.

~~~

“Good morning, Sunshine!”

I wake to him sitting next to me, placing butterfly kisses all over my face, with his beard slightly rough against my face. I smell coffee, and when I look over at the nightstand I see he’s also ordered me a cheese Danish. I lean up and kiss him deeply, and then motion for him to bring my breakfast tray closer.

Sorry, sex will have to wait until later when we hit the showers. He chuckles and opens his laptop. Soon he’s on the phone with Ted and they’re rehashing his presentation for the conference. I grab my sketch pad, and sit near the huge windows looking out over the Manhattan skyline. Soon the skyscape is taking shape across my paper in shades of blue and grey, with an orange glow of the sun rising, shining through the architectural details of the rooftops.

Once we’re showered and dressed, my stomach growls, signaling that my Danish was just an early morning snack, and I’m in need of something more substantial. Brian steers me away from the hotel café saying that the hotel is already filling up with the convention attendees and he’d rather we didn’t have to play nice with everyone, at least until the conference starts. So he scoots me out the door, and down the block to a small restaurant reminiscent of the Liberty diner.

I indulge in a stack of buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup and bacon, while Brian drinks his triple strength latte and reads the New York Times. I read through the tourist guide that the hotel manager gave me, and Brian snaps at me to use the app on my phone. He doesn’t want it to be obvious that I’m a tourist. I think it’s sweet he’s worried about me. But he keeps going on about getting mugged, and being in a strange city, so I finally agree to text him every time I change locations. I figure after the fourth or fifth text, he’ll probably turn his phone off or just ignore me. Ted and Emmett’s flight will be in this afternoon, so in the meantime Brian drags me out shopping, again.

But when we end up at an art supply store, I pick out a collapsible easel and several small canvases. Brian, of course, is checking out the leather satchels. As hard as I try to explain to him that a canvas bag would be better, he refuses to even consider it, even though it will probably get paint on it. He packs all the supplies in it making sure everything fits, after paying the cashier. He actually flags down a cab and takes me to MOMA. I figured he’d leave the museum excursions to me and Em. I get that giddy feeling, excited that he’s doing this for me when I know he’d rather be almost any place else.

I try and not spend too much time viewing each exhibit, making a mental note as to which ones I’d really like to revisit and spend more time contemplating the artist’s work. I can tell when he’s getting restless, as he’s texting away on his phone instead of appreciating the paintings. Now that I’ve had a peek at all the great artwork, I’m getting inspired to start painting myself.

Ted calls to let us know that he and Emmett are just leaving the airport and they’ll meet us at the hotel. It’s perfect timing, because of course I’m starving again. So after they check in we’re off to another one of Brian’s list of must visit restaurants. We stuff ourselves at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in the old Meatpacking district. The pork ribs are so tender and sweet, the meat just falls off the bones. Brian orders a big salad, and then proceeds to help me eat my greasy ribs, smothered in a secret barbeque sauce that is to die for.

Afterwards we split up and take separate taxis. Brian and Ted are off to the convention center, while Emmett and I head to Bloomingdales. We somehow end up in the fine china department, drooling over all the beautiful dishes that cost as much as dining room furniture. Emmett squeals, dreaming about completing the wedding registry application. There’s so many designs to look at, and originally we were just window shopping. But I get carried away with Emmett’s enthusiasm, and it dawns on me that Britin is a mansion, and as such, Brian and I need fine china for entertaining clients. Or at least that what’s I convince myself and hopefully Brian, when he sees the bill.

“Oh my God, Emmett! Isn’t this just beautiful?”

The L’Objet Lapis Dinnerware has caught my eye. It’s so beautiful, blue with gold trim.

“Justin, it says that it’s 24 carat gold! One coffee cup is $80.00 and the dessert plate is $250.00. It doesn’t even list what a place setting costs.”





At this point my eyes have glassed over, and the sales clerk appears to be drooling, they must work on commission. Although I can tell she questions whether I can afford them, she isn’t making any judgement calls just yet. Her ears perks up when I say, “Brian bought me a mansion for my wedding present, and we’ll need appropriate china in the dining room.”

“Of course you will.”

Now that she knows I’m a serious customer, and not just some fag who wandered into the fine dining section of the store, she’s more than willing to help out in any way she can.

“Will you need fine cutlery to match the china? We have some beautiful designs that will go perfectly with the gold trim.”

I turn to the sales clerk who now insists I call her Jane. “Yes, that’s a great idea.”

I find a simple, yet elegant design that won’t detract from the china. Then I mention that I’ll also need everyday dishes.”

“No problem, sir. Do you have anything specific in mind?”

“Something modern in design. I think Brian would like that.”

“You and Brian didn’t just move the dishes from the loft?”

“Well yes, two place settings and a few pots and pans. We’re keeping the loft so we’ll be needing to stock the new kitchen so I can cook there. We did buy a fancy over-the-top coffee machine, so now Brian can have his lattes before he drives all the way into the city in the morning.”

“Yes. Lord forbid he not have his precious lattes in the morning.”

We both burst out laughing. “Oh Em! I like this design. It’s simple with thin bands of metallic silver around the edge.”

Emmett gushes. “Are those real diamonds?”

“No, of course not, dear. They’re Swarovski crystals.”

“Justin, do you really think of these as everyday dishes? Don’t you want something more practical, like Corelle?”

“Both Jane and I glare at Em, disgusted by the idea of Corelle. I’m just looking then I’ll narrow down my choices.”

I’ll try and remember all the designs I like.”

“I’m keeping a list for you to review.”

“Excellent idea. Thank you, Jane.”

We spend the next hour oohing and aahing over all the designs and I end up choosing Vera Wang and Wedgewood for everyday dishes, even though Em points out that they’re both actually fine china. I decide that we should have 24 place settings of the dining room china, and 12 place settings for everyday use. I order both sets complete with all the serving dishes, tea, and coffee pots, etc. Jane assures me that she can order extra/replacement pieces should I need to. I hand Jane my platinum America Express card, and arrange to have everything delivered to Britin. Jane practically squeals, loving that our estate actually has a name.

I call Brian to check in and casually mention that I ended up looking at dishes for Britin. I tell him how much I love the blue lapis china for the dining room, and that I picked Vera Wang dishes for the kitchen because I knew how much he’d love them. I remark that they’re a little expensive, but perfect for Britin, failing to mention the cost.

Later that night we attend the kickoff cocktail party, and buffet dinner. Brian and Ted schmooze with the high and mighty ad execs from the top agencies, while I make small talk, putting my country club manners to good use. Emmett keeps it low key, including his subdued suit he borrrowed from Ted, but he’s dressed it up with one of his colorful shirts and a dress tie. Brian’s in his element; it all comes so naturally for him, and it’s obvious why he’s done so well in the advertising world. After the convention activities end for the day we hit some of the hot nightclubs, dancing the night away, having the time of our lives.

The next day Emmett and I relax in Central Park, enjoying watching all the various people walking by. I set up my easel and paint for a while. We’re having a great time, munching on junk from the food vendors, picnicking on deli sandwiches and yummy treats from the local bakery. Later in the afternoon we find ourselves surrounded by one of those flash mobs protesting something. Even though they usually only gather for a short time, it totally starts to spook me. I still have a hard time in crowds, and it’s causing me to start hyperventilating.

Emmett quickly ushers me away from the crowd and sets me down in the bleachers, trying to calm me down. Even though there are only a few people sitting close by, they are there to watch a little league baseball practice. As soon as I see one of the players swing the bat, my mild anxiety turns into a full-blown panic attack. Brian is always been very protective of me and has kept me away from situations that might trigger one of my episodes.

Emmett isn’t sure what’s happening at first, but he quickly catches on as my breathing becomes rapid, and I start to collapse. The ambulance arrives quickly, but Emmett is at a loss. He knows I’m highly allergic to some medication, so he calls Ted but his calls keep rolling over to voice mail. Finally he calls the hotel and has Teddy paged, letting him know that we’re going to the hospital. The last thing Em wants to do is to alarm Brian, but he doesn’t know what else to do at this point.

I fight the EMTs, not wanting to go to the hospital, but they refuse to listen to me and insist I need to see a doctor. Emmett ends up calling my mom at the real estate office, and she speaks with the attending nurse, and finally the doctor on call. By the time a panicked Brian and Ted arrive, I’ve been moved to a private room and they’ve sedated me. By the way Brian is acting, both Ted and Emmett wonder if maybe Brian should be sedated too.

Finally after talking with my doctor, Brian settles down. He lies in bed with me holding me close, stroking my hair and kissing my forehead. Ted and Emmett know that Brian loves me, but seeing him in full protective mode is something that very few people are ever allowed to witness. People may say that Brian’s cold, uncaring, and aloof, but they’ve never seen him when he’s taking care of me. He’s gentle and nurturing, willing to do anything for me.

I slowly come around an hour later as the medication starts to wear off. Brian’s touch comforts me as the real world comes into focus. I’m confused when I realize I’m in the hospital, and worried about Brian, which of course is ridiculous. But’s that Brian and me for you, we’re both very protective of each other. I feel foolish for everyone making such a big fuss over me, but Brian’s extremely concerned about my health.

I want to leave the hospital right away, but Brian insists that I be examined by the doctor one more time. I know better than to challenge Brian when he’s in one of his moods, so I just let him order everyone around until he calms down, realizing that I’ve recovered and I’m back to normal. Needless to say, for the rest of the trip Brian has hired a car service (and a nurse, who he thinks I don’t know about) to drive me around and keep an eye on me.

Over the next couple of days Emmett and I hit all the popular sightseeing attractions, visit art museums and galleries, and even catch a matinée of an off-Broadway play. In the evenings we continue to check off more restaurants on Brian’s tour of fabulous chefs. Brian and I even escape for a couple of romantic moments just to ourselves. As the weekend approaches, I decide that it’s time to call Grandma Roxy, and make plans to visit with her the next afternoon.

As we pull up to the house, my memories of visiting as a child flash in my mind. She lives in a big brick house with lots of flower gardens, and an old treehouse in the backyard. She loves to cook and bake, so mom and I would spend hours together with her in the kitchen. I’m already happy I decided to come for a visit. I had forgotten how much fun I had as a kid. Of course my Grandma never liked my dad. She thought he was a pretentious asshole, and it turns out she was right.

She welcomes us into the house and it’s just like I remember, nothing’s really changed. This somehow comforts me. It’s so different from the faultless home I grew up in, with everything organized and in its place. Here it’s more eclectic, bohemian, reflecting her personality. Opening the door she welcomes us in. It’s obvious how happy she is to see us, as she offers us some iced tea. I help her in the kitchen as Emmett wanders around, looking at all the works of art and collectible toys displayed.

“So you brought your young man with you.”

“Grandma that’s not Brian, that’s Emmett.”

She’s slightly hard of hearing. “Emmett!”

“Yes.”

“No, not you, Em. I don’t think she has her hearing aids in.”

“Well he certainly is tall, and colorful.”

“Grandma. This is my good friend, Emmett. He’s not my husband.

“Oh. I thought your husband’s name was Brian.”

Justin shakes his head in frustration.

They enter the living room and Bruce Springsteen is playing in the background.

Emmett’s surprised. “You listen to Bruce Springsteen?”

“Oh yes. You know the E Street Band is from Asbury Park. I used to take your mother to free concerts in the park when she was in grade school.

“Really, Gram?”

Emmett’s already loving Justin’s Grandma. “Oh, that sounds like fun. I love going to concerts.”

“Oh, how I miss the good old days.”

“So, are you boys having fun in the city?”

Emmett gushes, “Oh yes, it’s incredible. The fabulous restaurants, museums and the shopping.”

“Oh, is this one of your new outfits? It’s very bright. It reminds me of the sixties. You wouldn’t believe the fashions we wore back then.”

“Yes, that’s what I’ve heard.”

“So… Do you boys smoke pot?”

“Grandma!”

“You know your mother was such a prude growing up, so prim and proper. Of course I quit smoking after she was born. But my friend Greta’s grandson has a growing license and she brought over a few joints last year, and it was like recapturing my youth.”

She opens the drawer in her China cabinet and takes out a small pipe and a tin of marijuana.

“Now careful, this stuff is pretty strong.”

“Oh, I love your Grandma. She’s so much fun.”

We spend the afternoon looking at old photo albums. “Here’s some pictures of your mom and dad just before they got married.”





“Oh, and here’s one of you from grade school. You always were so handsome.”





“Oh my God, Baby, you look so adorable. Has Brian seen this picture?”

“Em! Please! You’re worse than my mom.”

“Did you want this picture, honey? Here take it with you. You two should have it.”

Then she brings out her Super 8 projector and we watch home movies. After laughing at all the childhood clips of Mom and Aunt Betty, she puts on real footage of her and her friends at Woodstock. She regales us with stories of hearing Janis Joplin, The Who and Jefferson Airplane. Then she looks into the distance, lost in her memories, mumbling something about waking up to Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner. How it rained so hard that everyone was covered in mud and their clothes were sticking to them.

Emmett’s absolutely hanging on the edge of his seat, loving the stories about her wild youth. Just then the timer dings and soon we’re enjoying fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies and milk. This afternoon didn’t turn out anything like I had expected. Of course I had to promise not to mention any of this to my mom when I get home.

She sends us off with a Tupperware container full of cookies, an ounce of high-grade marijuana, along with a bootleg tape from Woodstock. She thanks me for visiting, and tells Emmett how nice it was to meet him. She congratulates me and Emmett, wishing us a long and happy marriage.

“Your Grandma Roxy is such a hoot! Nothing like your mom. Don’t get me wrong. I love your mom, she’s great. But she’s so different from your Grandma.”

“I think it was her way of rebelling by choosing someone like my father, who’s so different than her parents and the way she was raised. My grandparents always hated my dad, and of course he didn’t have anything nice to say about them either.”

It’s too bad Brian didn’t get a chance to meet her.”

“Yeah, I think he would really like her. I’ll have to make a point to visit her another time when we’re in New York.”

We get back to the hotel just before Brian and Ted return to our suite. The awards ceremony is tonight, and mine and Brian’s new suits are pressed and ready for the evening’s festivities. Of course Kinnetik wins several awards for different ad campaigns. I’m beaming with pride, as Brian accepts the little golden plaques and a small statue noting him as Advertising Executive of the year. Brian’s acceptance speech is gracious and poignant, not the usual arrogant Brian most people believe he is. He’s truly flattered by being acknowledged and praised for his hard work this last year, and Kinnetik’s success.

The rest of the evening is spent once again with Brian mingling, working the crowd and accepting everyone’s congratulations on his achievements. Once the formal dinner is over and the tables are cleared, we spend the night dancing to a small orchestra. Waiters are circulating with trays of champagne, but Brian doesn’t allow me to drink any alcohol, he’s worried about my health. It’s the final event of the convention, and Brian and Ted are exhilarated by all the praise and admiration everyone is bestowing on them. For Ted this is almost like an out of body experience, he’s never received so much praise before. But it’s nothing compared to how Brian plans on rewarding him once they’re back in Pittsburgh. Ted has really become Brian’s right-hand man, helping him put Kinnetik on the advertising map, as well as earning his place as Brian’s true best friend. Except for me, of course.

TBC…


Previous