- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Michael and Lindsay’s true feelings are revealed, blindsiding everyone…


Title: Blindsided Kisses
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 4186
Warnings: Love, Passion, Romance, Angst, Anti-Michael…
Beta Queen: BigJ52
Banner: Predec2

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Summary: Brian and Justin’s journey of love…

Chapter Summary: Michael and Lindsay’s true feelings are revealed, blindsiding everyone…


Just Kiss Me…

Chapter Twenty Five ~ Blindsided Kisses

Justin’s walking with a bounce in his step, excited that Sydney’s going to critique his paintings. He walks into the gallery and is surprised that no one is manning the gallery. Hearing the bell over the door Sydney comes out of his office, and smiles when he sees him. He thanks Justin for bringing in his portfolio. He shows him into the conference room, and offers him coffee. Then he excuses himself for a few minutes, closing the door behind him.

“Lindsay, where are you? It’s after ten and the gallery is now open.”





“Sydney. I’m sorry, it’s JR. I don’t think I can make it in today.”

“Oh? Is she sick again? You’ve been missing a lot of work lately. I’m starting to get concerned.”

“Well, it’s this thing with Michael, her father. He’s been arrested.”

“Yes. I read about it in the paper.”

“JR’s not handling it very well, and she’s been upset.”

“Lindsay. She’s not even two years old, so I doubt she understands what’s going on. Besides, why in the world would you even mention it to her?”

“Well, this situation is upsetting the whole family.”

“You need to pull yourself together, and get your ass in here. I’m meeting with an artist this morning, and I don’t have time to cover the gallery. That’s what I hired you to do.”

Lindsay inhales deeply, about to protest, but Sydney’s already hung up.

Sydney returns to the conference room, apologizing, saying that Lindsay’s running late. He leaves the conference room door open in case anyone comes into the gallery until she arrives.

“I see you brought your portfolio with you, that’s great. Did you also bring some photos of your work?”

“Yes. Well actually, I brought slides.”

“That’s perfect. It’s so much easier to see the details of the painting when I can project them onto a screen. You get a greater sense of the artwork, seeing it as it’s meant to be viewed in full scale.

Sydney refreshes Justin’s coffee, and sets up the slide projector. He hears Lindsay come in, and goes out to talk with her for a few minutes. When he returns he closes the door behind himself and they spend the next couple of hours reviewing Justin’s paintings and talking about art. 

First they look at his slides. “I’m impressed. It’s obvious that you’re very talented, especially for someone so young.”

Justin blushes. “Thanks. That means a lot coming from someone like you.”

“I always like to start with the slides, and then move onto the canvases. It gives me an idea of the caliber of the artwork, and then the actual paintings reinforce the artist’s natural abilities and talent.”

“I hope my work doesn’t disappoint you. Sometimes, depending upon my mood, my painting changes, reflecting what I’m feeling at the time.”

“That’s just as it should be, that’s part of being a great artist. Being able to express what you’re feeling, and capturing it in your artwork.”

Sydney takes his time looking at all the details and nuances, noting his use of color and texture. He can see that in just the short time since he saw Justin’s art at the PIFA exhibit, he’s grown as an artist and seems to be coming into his own distinct style. 

Justin’s nervous, he’s never had a professional critique his work, and he hopes his paintings don’t disappoint Sydney.

“Justin, you have an exceptional eye for the use of color. Your paintings don’t have that contrived look about them, like you’re trying to impress.”

“Thank you so much. Most of the time I just stare at a blank canvas, until my feelings start flowing through me and my paintbrush.”

“To say you’re gifted would be an understatement. You’re an exceptionally talented artist, with abilities that are rarely seen these days.”

“Really? That’s so kind of you to say.”

“Justin. I’m not being kind. I’m simply stating the truth. Trust me, there are plenty of artists who have run out of here crying after my critique of their work. In this business you have to develop a thick skin, critics can be brutally blunt at times. My suggestion is to listen to what they have to say with an open mind, but always stay true to your art.”

“I’ll remember that.”

“Now, would you be willing to leave these three paintings you brought in with you today? I’d like to display them in the gallery.”


  




“Really? I mean, oh God, yes!”

“Another thing you might want to work on is to not be so surprised or enthusiastic. Always project an aura of confidence in your talent and abilities. That way you’ll always keep an upper hand in negotiations and control over your artwork.”

“Thank you so much, Sydney. I appreciate all your help and taking the time to mentor me.”

“It’s my pleasure, Justin. I hope we develop a strong friendship over time.”

Justin’s over the moon, it’s more than he ever expected.

Just as they’re finishing up, the intercom buzzes. “Sydney, it’s the call from New York you’ve been expecting.”

“I’m sorry, Justin, if you’ll excuse me I have to take this call.”

“No problem, it was a pleasure meeting with you. Thank you for taking the time to critique my artwork.”

~~~

“Deb, is everything okay?”

“Oh, Emmett. I don’t know what’s going on, and I’m so worried about Michael.”

“I know, we all are.”

“He came home so late the night before last. Then in the morning I thought it was best if I let him sleep in. I needed to leave for work, so we didn’t have time to speak with each other.

“I’m glad he’s finally decided to stay here at the house.”


 




“That’s just it, Em, he’s not here. Carl talked with him yesterday. He explicitly asked, no, told him to stay put until I got home from work. But when I got here he was gone again. I had hoped that maybe he was out looking for a job, or maybe visiting JR. But he never returned last night.”

“Oh, Deb. I’m sorry he’s putting you through all this.”

“I looked through his room this morning and everything’s gone, even his extra clothes he had stored in the closet. The only thing he left was his cell phone on the dresser.”

“Where do you suppose he’s gone?”

“I wish I knew, but if he’s not with Teddy, the girls, or you, I can’t imagine where he’d go. He really doesn’t have anyone else except Brian, and I doubt that Brian would be helping him out at this point.”

“Yes, I agree that’s unlikely.”

“Carl brought home a copy of his arrest report last night. And as much as I want to know what happened, now that I have it, I’m afraid to read it.”

“I can understand that.”

“Why is he acting this way, Em? It’s so unlike him to behave this way. I’m worried sick that something is going to happen to him. I just don’t know what to do at this point. And now that he doesn’t have his cell phone, I don’t have a way to get a hold of him, or leave him a message.”

“Tell me, what can I do to help you?”

“Nothing. Not really. I’m going to do laundry to get my mind off everything.”

“You don’t want to read his arrest report?”

“I just can’t right now, but you go ahead and read it. Maybe later we can read it together. I’m afraid I’m going to need you here with me, to help me come to grips with what’s he’s done.”

“Of course, Deb, I’ll be glad to. But right now I have to meet a client. So I’ll be back later this afternoon. In the meantime try to relax, it’s your day off.”

~~~

“Brian? I’m here dressed in jeans and a t-shirt per your request. What’s up?”

“I was hoping you could help me pack up everything at the loft. I want everything removed and stored, until we find a new place in town.”

“So, you’re really going to sell the loft?”

“Yes, I’m done with the loft.”

“Okay, Brian. Whatever you need, I’m in.”

“Thanks, Teddy. I’d hire someone to pack everything up, but there are so many personal things of Justin’s and mine, I don’t feel comfortable with strangers going through our belongings.”

“Right, Boss. Anything I can do to help out.” 

They drive over to the loft in a truck Brian rented to move all his possessions to a storage locker.

“So, Teddy. I need you to retrieve all the files from the cloud.”

“The cloud?”

“Yes, Ted. You know, that magical place where you store data electronically.”

“Oh, I didn’t realize that your files weren’t stored on the server at Kinnetik.”

“Ted, these aren’t work files.”

“Oh?”

“I installed a surveillance system in the loft a while back.”

“Has the crime rate increased in the neighborhood?”

Brian turns and glares at him. “No! It was for personal use.”

“Oh. Oooh…”

“I just recently started using it for security purposes when we weren’t staying there. Thankfully, it recorded all of Michael’s stay at the loft while we were in New York.”

“Really! Wow! I guess there’ll be no denying what happened then.”

“None, whatsoever, but I don’t want Justin downloading them. I don’t ever want him to see them.”

“I understand, Brian.”

“So I need you to remove them, and I mean really remove them. I know that sometimes you can delete files, but they’re not completely gone. I don’t want a hacker being able to retrieve them. When you’re done, lock them in my personal safe in my office. Not the Kinnetik safe. I don’t want someone stumbling onto it.”

“Got it, Bri…”

“Actually, maybe you should download everything from the cloud.”

“Everything?” 

“Yes. Justin and I used it for… We just used it! Alright!”

“Okay, Boss.”

“No. I think you should just delete everything. Yes, that would be best. Justin would be mortified if anyone ever watched the videos. We’re married now, but I don’t ever want him feeling embarrassed or violated.”

“Alright, Bri.”

“No. Well, hmmm… Okay, make a copy and then delete them, and put the copy in my personal safe, along with Michael’s videos.”

“Okay, Boss.”

“No, no. Delete everything. Yes, I think that’s best.”

“Whatever you want.”

“Yes. That’s best, I mean… There’s so much stored on the cloud, it’s best if we just delete it all.”

Ted just looks at Brian, waiting to see if this is his final decision.

“Wait, maybe I should check my calendar. There were a few special nights we were together, that were pretty incredible. We might want to watch them someday when we’re old and gray.”

“Or, young and gray.”

Brian’s back to glaring at him…

“I’ve seen a few gray hairs, or should I say, I’ve seen you plucking out a few gray hairs while in your office.”

“Theodore!”

“Right. Zipping, zipping.”

~~~

Justin packs up his slides, leaving the paintings for Sydney, and then exits the conference room.

“Justin! What in the world are you doing here?”

Lindsay’s eyes scan his portfolio, and then they become dark and cloud over, staring at him viciously.

“I can’t believe that you have the gall to come here, using my position at the gallery to manipulate Sydney.”

“Lindsay…”

“We don’t take unsolicited work. This is a prestigious gallery for serious artists.”

“I…”

“No! You listen to me. I’m shocked that you would take advantage of our friendship to weasel yourself in to see Sydney. I guess I should have expected something like this from you. After all you’re getting so good at insinuating yourself in places you don’t belong.”

At this point Justin can see that Lindsay’s on a roll, and she won’t hear a word he has to say. So he just lets her ramble, getting it all out. He had no idea that her dislike for him had turned to hatred, just like Michael.

“You know, just because you’ve shown your work at the GLC, and won an honorable mention at PIFA, it doesn’t make you an artist worthy of exhibiting your work in galleries or museums. It takes years to develop those skills. Honestly, to tell you the truth you’re not very good, mediocre at best. I doubt that your artwork will ever progress to that level.”





Wow! He tells himself to remain calm. He’s determined to not let her see just how pissed off he is, remembering Sydney’s words. ‘Always project an aura of confidence in your talent and ability.’

Smiling like she’s been praising his work, he says, “Well, it’s been enlightening running into you this morning, but I really need to go. I have to pick Gus up from preschool.”

Just the mention of Gus inflames her already moody disposition. She turns and stomps off toward the back of the gallery, ready to completely lose control.

~~~

Michael is once again sitting in a sleazy bar drinking whiskey, and it isn’t even noon yet. After checking him out, a truck driver is more than willing to buy him drinks with the expectation of a quickie before he hits the road again.

He walks Michael out to his rig, and shows him his sleeping quarters. It isn’t long before they’re both finding release; afterwards he offers Michael twenty bucks. Michael’s shocked, he hates the idea that he might be considered a hustler like Hunter. An hour later he wishes he had taken the money, he really needs it. He’s broke.

~~~

Brian’s packing up his desk and computer, while Ted works on packing up all the dishes and small appliances. They’ve both been silent. It’s obvious that Brian doesn’t want to be here, but he also just wants it done as soon as possible.

“Brian. What about the furniture? Is the storage locker big enough to hold everything?”

“No. I only rented a small locker. I hate the idea of my designer furniture getting all dusty and dirty.”

“Is there any place at Britin where you can use it? It is a mansion after all.”

“As much as I love my sleek modern furniture, it’s not right for Britin. It just doesn’t fit with the design of the house.”

They continue packing up the living room and kitchen, and they both glance towards the bedroom. Teddy realizes that this will be the hardest room for Brian to pack.

“Let’s get some lunch. Afterwards we can come back and finish with the rest of this.”

“Sounds good.”

Emmett is excited because he can’t wait to show Ted Michael’s arrest report. But when he sees that Brian is with Ted, he knows he has to put his news on hold. 

“Hi, boys. Is it Blue Jeans Day at Kinnetik?”

“Something like that. We’re doing some spring cleaning.”

A few minutes later Justin enters the diner and approaches their table. Brian smirks. “Hey. How’s it going? Had a busy morning?”

Justin grins. “I feel like checking out some of the bars: Boy Toy, Meathook, but it’s only lunchtime.”

“I’d be glad to take you to the baths after lunch.”

Justin rolls his eyes. “Brian!”

“Why the long face, Baby?”

“I’ve just had an emotional morning, that’s all.”

Brian frowns, sure that Sydney was going to praise Justin’s painting, and he’s a little taken aback that Justin isn’t beaming.

“Hey. It’s just one review. Besides, what the hell does he know?”

Justin grins. There’s that sunshine smile Brian loves so much.

“It’s not that… Sydney was great. He gave me a glowing review, and some pointers on my paintings and how to respond to critics.”

“I knew he was going to love your artwork! Let’s celebrate tonight. I’ll take you someplace special, your choice.”

Justin’s all smiles now, as he leans over and kisses Brian, letting his passion flow. Finally pulling away he mentions, “So I stopped by Kinnetik and Cynthia said you were at the loft. I went by, but of course my key didn’t work because Michael changed the locks.”

“Oh… Ted was helping me pack up everything for storage.”

“So, you’re serious. You want to sell the loft.”

“You’re selling the loft?”

“Emmett, please!”

“It just that this is the first I’ve heard about it.”

Brian glances at Ted, happy to know that he didn’t feel the need to tell Emmett his business.

“It’s part of our past, but it’s not part of our future.”

Justin bites his tongue, knowing that once Brian makes up his mind, it’s a done deal.

“But I did drive past the old Flamingo Motel this morning.”





“Oh, time for a quickie before work?”

“Emmett!”

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist.”

“Isn’t that the old dilapidated building with bright pink paint that’s peeling?”

Ted shakes his head. “Once upon a time, but that’s not true these days. I heard that an interior design firm bought it, and it’s been under renovation for the last six months. It looks pretty good these days.”

“Yeah, well, there’s a ‘For Sale’ sign in the window. I called Jen and asked her about it. She said that they ran out of money before it was finished. But she thinks the real reason is because it’s just a couple of blocks off Liberty Avenue, and they were uncomfortable about the location.”

“I’m still not sure what building you’re talking about?”

“You can see for yourself. I’m meeting your mom there this afternoon.”

“You want to buy it?” 





“Yes, and I think you’ll like it. All the structural elements have been inspected and meet code. They were planning on taking out the pool, but I’d like to keep it.”

“You want to expand Kinnetik?”

“Well, that’s an idea, but not the one I had in mind. I was thinking it could be our new place in town. We can remodel it, and you can have a studio. There’s a courtyard in the back, with a pool in the middle, and the old motel rooms around the outer edges.” 

“What would we need all those rooms for?”

“Well they’re already set up with small kitchenettes, a bathroom, and a large living space.”

“You want to be a landlord?”

“Not exactly. As I recall you had a hard time finding studio space in town. With the Art Deco design, all the units’ outer walls are glass. They face the courtyard, and the street, providing lots of light, while the other shared walls separate the units.”

“It’s a small motel, with only six units. Two on each side, plus the main motel that we’d keep.”

“So you’ve already seen it?”

“No. Your mom sent me a link to the video. It isn’t on the market yet, so it’s not posted online.”

~~~

“Lindsay. Where’s Justin?” 

“Sydney, I had no idea that he was coming in today.”

“No, I didn’t tell you. It’s not my place to inform you of my schedule. I was hoping to take him to lunch.”

“Why would you want to see him? His work is mediocre, amateur at best, not really something that would meet our standards.”

“Is that what you think, Lindsay? In the past you’ve always praised his work.”

“Well, I shouldn’t mention this, but he’s still suffering from the effects of his bashing. I don’t think his paintings will ever rise to the expectations we all once hoped for.”

“Lindsay. Have you seen his recent works of art?”

“No, I try to not be put in a position where I have to give my opinion. I hate the idea of crushing his dreams.”

“I suggest you take the time. As a matter of fact you can hang the three paintings I asked him to leave here.”

“I suppose I can find a place to squeeze them in on the back wall. I’m sorry to have put you in that position of having to display his paintings. We both know you’re only doing it out of feeling an obligation to me.”

“Lindsay! Justin’s paintings and my decision to want them in my gallery has nothing to do with you! Now I want them placed up front, where everyone coming into the gallery can see them. You can move those charcoal drawings to where your friend Adrienne Bennett’s painting are, and hers to the back wall.”

“Sydney, you’ve got to be kidding me!”

“Lindsay, part of your responsibilities as the manager is to find new and upcoming artists to showcase in the gallery. I’m not sure what your issues are with Justin, but it’s interfering with your judgement. We might have lost this opportunity if I hadn’t run into Justin in the art store.”

Lindsay stands there with her mouth open, and then clamps it shut, pouting.

“You know, I’m not sure what’s been going on with you recently. You’ve been moody and you’ve missed a lot of work.”

Lindsay shakes her head, not knowing how to explain herself.

“Have you considered seeing a doctor? I’m concerned about you.”

“Yes! I have been seeing a psychiatrist, and I’m taking my medication. I just need everyone to back off!”

“Oh… I thought maybe you were pregnant. But I see it’s something more serious.”

“I’m taking my Prozac! So get off my back!”

“You know I’m thinking maybe you should take some time off. I’m worried about you.”

“But you need me. Who will run the gallery if I’m not here?”

“My wife Ruth and I ran the gallery for years together. I’m sure she can step in and help out, until I find a replacement.”

“What? A replacement! Sydney, are you firing me?”

“Why don’t we both take some time, and then see how you’re feeling. I think this is probably best for both of us.”


 




~~~

“So why don’t I pick up Gus, and then come to the loft and pack up my art supplies, and Gus can pack his toys?”

“Justin. I’m sure Ted and I can handle it. You two have fun together this afternoon.”

“I’m free this afternoon. Why don’t we all pack up the loft, then we’ll be done in no time?”

“Emmett!”

“I think that’s a great idea.”

“Justin!”

“Brian, what is wrong with you today?”

“Most of the loft is already packed, Ted and I can finish it up in no time.”

“Brian, I want to see the loft one more time.”

“Why?”

“I just do. I guess I need closure.”


“It’s not an old boyfriend, Justin.”

They glare at each other for a few minutes. Brian finally realizes this is an argument he isn’t going to win, and he doesn’t want to deal with a pissed-off husband the rest of the night.

~~~

I’m standing in the warm spring rain, letting the raindrops hide my tears, as I contemplate what I should do. The smart thing to do would be to just go back to my mom’s and face the music. Who knows? Maybe by now Brian will have forgiven me, even rescinded his complaint against me. No, that’s unlikely, because by now they’ll have found out everything. 

They’ll have seen me on the surveillance cameras wearing my blond wig, styled like Justin’s hair. Seen me trying on Justin’s clothes, primping in the mirror and touching myself, pretending I was him, and Brian is groping me. They’ll have seen me finding Justin’s stilettos, stockings, and teddy, and how excited I was as I rolled around on the bed. Seeing how much I loved the feel of all that silky lingerie against my skin, and how I lost control and soaked the delicate fabric. When I finished, I was repulsed by my behavior. I tore off the lacy garments, tearing them to shreds, and then I used them as toilet paper. 

But within hours I regretted my actions, and that’s when I started searching through the rest of Justin’s things. I knew that if Justin had one set of lingerie, there’d be more, and there was… The only thing I regret is that I had to leave them all behind. In the wee hours every night I’d dress up in Justin’s silky lingerie, letting myself get lost in my fantasies. I now daydreamed, putting myself in Justin’s life, dreaming about all the things him and Brian do together. I can’t help replaying my favorite fantasy over and over again in my head. I long to wear those silky garments and feel the stockings cover my legs. I loved that euphoric feeling that overtook all my senses; it was the best drug I’ve ever experienced. It makes me jealous knowing it isn’t me that Brian shares those intimate moments with, it will never be me.

I’m leaning against the side of the building at the truck stop, my wet clothes sticking to me. In some bizarre biker/trucker sort of way the big burly bears are attracted to me. It was easy really. I simply smile when one of them nods at me, as he comes out of the diner to head back on the road.

And that was it. I was gone, on the road to nowhere special. Never looking back… 

TBC…