- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

With a few unexpected twists and turns, Brian and Justin negotiate a custody agreement with the girls…

 

 

Title: Just Kiss Me…

Story Type: AU

Word Count: 2665

Warnings: Love, Passion, Romance, Angst, Anti-Michael…

Beta Queen: BigJ52

Banner: Predec2

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

 

Summary: Brian and Justin’s journey of love…

 

Chapter Summary: With a few unexpected twists and turns, Brian and Justin negotiate a custody agreement with the girls…

 

Chapter Fourteen ~ Bittersweet Kisses…

 

Justin and I are on our way to Mel’s law office. I’m hoping things go smoothly, but I suspect I’m being too optimistic. We’re escorted to the conference room and offered coffee while we wait for Mel and Lindsay. I know we’re a little early, but that’s just my nature. I hate when people are late. There’s a slight commotion in the hall when our attorney, Diane Lockhart arrives. It seems she’s quite the celebrity in the legal world. She’s supposed to be one of the best trial lawyers who represent gay parents, almost always getting them fair settlements.

 

 

 

 

She’s polite, yet firm when dealing with her opponents, who are often ex-spouses of gays who have recently come out.  While we’re waiting, we go over the papers I signed for Mel several years ago, relinquishing my parental rights. Then she reviews my financial records that show my payments for Gus’s support, starting with his birth at Allegheny General Hospital. I’m once again thankful that Ted was insistent that I open a separate account to make payments to the girls.

 

His neurotic obsession with accuracy and details is paying off, and he’s worth his weight in gold. We have a detailed register showing each expense, along with a receipt when possible.  I know it used to irritate the hell out of Mel that I asked her to type up a receipt for the little stuff, and provide copies of the childcare agreement and his health insurance policy. Ted is also her accountant, so she understood when I’d roll my eyes and said, “You know Ted.”

 

We’ve now been waiting for Mel for forty-five minutes, and I have a feeling it’s her way of flexing her power, and having control over the meeting. Just like moving it from Lockhart Gardner’s office to hers, she didn’t fool me for a minute when she suggested we meet here.

 

Many of Mel’s colleagues keep finding reasons to stop by the conference room, fawning all over Diane. It’s like she’s a movie or rock star, and I can only hope she performs like one for us. After several cups of coffee I step out to use the restroom, and run into Mel on my way back.

 

“Hello, Brian, I’m glad you could make it.”

 

“Melanie.”

 

“Good, it’s just you. I’m glad you decided we could talk this out, without involving our attorneys. This really this doesn’t involve Justin, so I’m glad he didn’t join you. Let’s step into my office. I had planned on using the conference room but it looks like it’s still in use.”`

 

“Mel, stop!”

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s wrong, Brian?”

 

“This isn’t going to be some little talk, like the one you had with Michael. Justin is here with me, he’s my husband and what concerns me, also concerns him. Now you’ve left us and our lawyer waiting for almost an hour.”

 

“What? Your attorney’s here? I thought Lindsay told Justin I wanted this meeting to be just between us, without your attorney.”

 

Mel looks like she just got punched in the stomach.

 

“Yes, he mentioned that. But seeing that you’re here in an office full of attorneys, as well as being one yourself, we thought it was prudent that we be represented during this meeting. And quite frankly, Ms. Lockhart insisted upon being part of the proceedings.”

 

“I just assumed that Justin would be at home taking care of Gus. After all, that was the agreement we settled on.”

 

“No need to worry. Jenifer’s watching Gus this afternoon. They’re going to the zoo, he’s very excited about it. But I’m sure he’ll tell you all about it tonight.”

 

“I’ll go get Lindsay. She’s waiting in my office.”

 

 

 

Smiling through his death glare, Brian turns and walks back to the conference room. Mel takes a few more minutes to compose herself, then she and Lindsay start down the hallway.

 

Mel’s paralegal stops her. “Did you hear? Diane Lockhart is here in the conference room. I hear she’s one hell of an opponent. I wonder who she’s meeting with. I wouldn’t want to be up against her.”

 

Mel’s now feeling a little green around the gills, and wishes she hadn’t moved the meeting. She wishes she had hired an attorney to represent her, she knows Diane’s out of her league. She could ask one of her partners to join them, but she really doesn’t want her private life exposed at work.

 

“Mel? Is everything alright? You said this was going to be a piece of cake, that you’d make sure Brian didn’t have a leg to stand on.”

 

“Lindsay, shut up, and don’t say a word.”

 

Mel and Lindsay enter the conference room, but instead of feeling powerful being on her own turf, Mel feels bewildered, and flustered upon seeing Diane. Introductions are made and they all have a seat at the table. Because Mel chose to delay this meeting as long as possible, Diane’s taken the power seat at the head of the table. Another stupid move on Mel’s part, she now feels like she’s just a pawn about to be played against herself.

 

Mel’s eyes fall upon the ledgers on the table, and her stomach sinks even further.

 

“What’s all this?”

 

“Oh, this is just Mr. Kinney’s payment ledgers from his accountant Ted Schmidt.”

 

“Please, call me Brian.”

 

“Alright.”

 

“Mr. Schmidt has been keeping a strict record of all of Gus’s expenses. Although briefly glancing it over, it seems that there are expenses that don’t really seem to be related to Gus’s care.”

 

Now it’s Lindsay who looks a little green. She’s asked for Brian’s help on more than one occasion, without mentioning it to Melanie.

 

“May I have a look at that?”

 

 

 

“By all means, although I plan on going over each and every expense in detail during the meeting.”

 

“I thought this was going to be a simple meeting, where we just talked about what’s best for Gus?”

 

“Shut up, Lindsay!”

 

Smiling curtly at her wife, Mel regrets sounding so agitated. The last thing she wants to portray to Ms. Lockhart is the stress in their relationship.

 

“This sure is a very detailed record.”

 

“Yes. Ted’s a very thorough accountant. He’s even categorized the expenses and summed them up on a financial statement.”

 

Mel flips to the summary pages, and her eyes practically pop out of her head. She’s stunned by the amount of money Brian’s provided over the years. She quickly closes the book, setting it back down on the table.

 

“What did you have in mind concerning custody? I’m sure we can come to an amicable agreement.”

 

“Fine. We’ll talk custody first, and then financial responsibilities.”

 

“What? What about Brian’s lifestyle? His promiscuity, his drug abuse, and his lack of responsibilities.”

 

Mel snaps loudly. “I said, shut up, Lindsay!”

 

“Ms. Peterson. Brian’s a married man. But just like you, before you had a commitment ceremony, you also had a variety of sex partners. Both men and women, if I understand correctly.”

 

Brian leans in and whispers something in her ear.

 

“Then there’s the affairs both you and Ms. Marcus have conducted during your relationship, after making a commitment to one another.”

 

“Brian! I can’t believe you’re bringing that up!”

 

“Lindsay! Please, stop talking.”

 

“It’s also my understanding that you’ve partaken in illegal drug use since the birth of your son.”

 

“Brian! How could you!”

 

Brian just glares at Lindsay. She often acts so high and mighty, but he doesn’t feel bad about pointing out how hypocritical she’s being.

 

“What does any of this have to do with Brian being an unfit parent?”

 

“Lindsay! Please!”

 

“What this proves is that he’s no more unfit than you are, my dear.”

 

“We’re willing to stipulate that Brian is a good father, and has nothing but Gus’s best interest at heart.”

 

“We are? Mel, why aren’t you objecting?”

 

“Lindsay, would you please just stop speaking!”

 

“I do have a question, Ms. Marcus. You and Lindsay had a commitment ceremony back when gay marriage was illegal. Do you plan on getting married, now that it’s legal?”

 

Both Mel and Lindsay look at each other, but don’t say a word.

 

“Am I correct in assuming that you’re unable to answer my question, because you’re in couples’ counseling? And you’re not sure if you’ll be staying together in the future?”

 

“Mel! How does she know about that?”

 

Glaring at everyone at this point, Mel simply turns to Lindsay. “She’s had us investigated.”

 

“I assume that you’ve been looking into our finances, bank balances, and our current debt load.”

 

“Yes, I have, and it’s not pretty.  With all the funds Mr. Kinney provides you, I don’t really understand how you can be in such a poor state financially.”

 

“You have no right questioning how we spend our money!”

 

“Lindsay. Sit down and shut up.”

 

“Oh, I have every right. You see it doesn’t seem that the money Mr. Kinney provides for his son is actually spent on his care.”

 

“Really, there’s no need to call me Mr. Kinney.”

 

“Yes, of course. I forgot.”

 

“You don’t understand. Gus isn’t our only child! It’s very expensive raising children these days.”

 

“No, he isn’t. But Mr. Kinney, I mean Brian, isn’t financially responsible for your daughter. Her father is.”

 

Brian leans in and whispers something in Diane’s ear, again.

 

“To move this meeting along, and make things a little easier, Brian’s willing to agree to only look forward, not backwards concerning his financial responsibilities. But if this becomes an issue, we will revisit the substantial contributions he’s made supporting your children and household.”

 

“That’s very generous. Thank you, Brian.”

 

“Mel, what’s going on? Does this mean Brian won’t be providing for us anymore?”

 

Mel doesn’t even say anything this time, she just stares at Lindsay.

 

“Ms. Peterson. What this means is that Brian will now be paying for all of Gus’s needs directly, not to you to spend as you see fit.”

 

“But… Why? We need…”

 

“Enough, Lindsay!”

 

“Now, let’s talk about custody. Brian wants his rights restored, especially considering he’s been supporting Gus all along. Since Brian and Justin are legally married, Justin is automatically considered Gus’s stepfather.”

 

“What? Is that true, Mel?”

 

“Yes. It’s the law.”

 

“Should the two of you marry legally, then Melanie would also be considered Gus’s stepmother. But until that time, she is no longer considered his mother. She was never really legally Gus’s mother, considering that Brian has provided for Gus’s welfare all along. He may have signed the papers you drew up, but he’s always been responsible for him financially. So his relinquishing his rights could easily be challenged in court.”

 

“Mel, what does that mean?”

 

“Not now, Lindsay.”

 

Brian’s mind flashes to that day so long ago, when he was made to feel insignificant and worthless. That he was fated to be a bad father, just like Jack, but it wasn’t true. Justin had shown him that it didn’t have to be that way, that he was already a good father. Justin always did believe in him, he saw something in Brian that no one else did. And he pointed out to Brian back then, that he loved Gus with all his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

“Now, to sharing custody. Brian and Justin would like Gus to spend every other weekend with them. As well as splitting his time during the week between your two households, they request Gus spend Wednesday and Thursday with them.”

 

“I don’t know. I don’t think I like that idea.”

 

“Ssssh…”

 

“Since Justin is already watching Gus from noon until five, Monday through Friday, this would mean he would pick Gus up from school at noon on Wednesday, and you would pick Gus up at the loft at five on Friday night, with the exception of the weekends that Gus stays with Brian and Justin.”

 

“No! No way! That would mean that Gus is spending more time with them, than with us.”

 

“No. It’s approximately the same amount of time, with the exception of the weekday afternoons. But if you’d rather pay for Gus’s daycare for that time period, that’s up to you. Mr. Kinney, I mean Brian, is already paying for his daycare in the mornings, Monday through Friday.”

 

“Mel. This doesn’t seem right.”

 

“If you’ll please excuse us, Lindsay and I would like to talk this over in my office.”

 

“Of course.”

 

~~~

 

Back in Mel’s office…

 

“What’s going on, Mel? You said Brian would back down. You said his lawyer wasn’t going to be with him today, or Justin for that matter.”

 

“I should have known better. I should have asked him if he had an attorney when he requested a mediation meeting.”

 

“So what’s the big deal with his attorney?”

 

“Diane Lockhart is a very well-known attorney/activist for parental rights of gay parents. She isn’t the type of attorney to allow her clients to negotiate without her present. It was stupid of me to not realize we’d be investigated as part of the process.”

 

“So what does all this mean?”

 

 

 

 

 

“It means, that since Brian’s been involved in Gus’s life since the very beginning, he’s been paying for all his expenses, and has kept a detailed register. Basically, Brian has already proven his case.”

 

 

“But what about his request for custody?”

 

“It isn’t really out of line.”

 

“But Gus will be spending a lot of time with them.”

 

“I know. But we’re swamped in the evening with play time, dinner time, and bath time. Let’s face it, part of our problem is we don’t have enough time together with the kids, or just the two of us.”

 

“I don’t know… I mean, if Gus stays with them on Wednesday and Thursday, we don’t actually get him back until Friday night, and who’s to say that he’ll even go to daycare. Justin could pick him up on Wednesday morning and keep him at their house until Friday night. And if it’s their weekend to keep Gus, he could be staying with Brian and Justin from Wednesday until Sunday night or Monday morning!”

 

“Lindsay. Think about it. Do you really want Gus in daycare, when he could be at home with someone who loves him? Someone who will care for him better than some childcare worker?”

 

“He’ll get spoiled by all the attention.”

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re just jealous. I know you’d rather be at home with the kids instead of working.”

 

“Is it fair to JR that she has to be in daycare all day long, and Gus gets to have fun, playing with Justin?”

 

“Do you actually want Michael spending that kind of time with JR?”

 

“No! God no! But he wouldn’t want that either. Especially now that Ben’s almost out of the picture. I don’t think he’s comfortable being alone with her.”

 

“I know you don’t want to hear this, but maybe this will be a good thing. We’ll have more one-on-one time with JR, while Gus is with Brian and Justin.”

 

“Okay, maybe you’re right. But what about the money? Is Brian going to stop supporting Gus?”

 

“No. But because Gus will be spending half his time with Brian and Justin, it will be considered that Brian is already providing for half of Gus’s expenses. So no, he won’t be giving us a monthly check anymore. And when he pays for Gus’s health insurance or daycare, he’ll be paying those bills directly from now on.”

 

“But Mel, we use that money to pay our other expenses.”

 

“Yes, and I told you, we shouldn’t have been doing that. We’re just going to have to tighten our belts and pay off your credit cards. And for Christ sake, stop buying new clothes.”

 

“I’m really not happy about all these changes.”

 

“I know. But you’ll get used to it. I really think this could be a good thing in the long run. And if we’re honest, we both know that Brian has changed. He loves Gus, and it will be good for him to be spending time with his father, or should I say, fathers.”

 

TBC…