- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

(Off to Toronto to pick up Gus) Part II

(Emmett's POV)

 

I was leaning against the firehouse door and I was pissed.

 

"I meant to call you earlier, but things kept coming up."  Ted explained.

 

"I'd expect something like that from Brian."  I snarked and locked the door, setting the alarm.  Today had been a long day.  "So what happened that you couldn't call?  Couldn't text?"

 

Teddy just laughed at me and explained that after a great deal of time that they'd left Toronto bringing back  not only Gus, but Jenny Rebecca too.  Of course, I already knew that.  What I didn't know was that they'd stopped at a hotel since it was getting late, which was just as well all things considered.

 

Earlier when they'd called, Justin's eyesight had returned, which was a relief.  I made an appointment with the doctor that had been seeing Justin.  Justin finally got a good look at the video and to say he went ballistic was an understatement.  About that time Michael had called all excited because Brian was bringing his little girl home.  He had all sorts of plans for turning Hunter's room into J.R.'s.  I asked where Hunter was going to be sleeping if Jenny got his room and Michael brushed it off. 

 

He also began bitching about not being able to get in touch with Justin about working on another issue of Rage.  He was rather nasty about it and going on about how Brian was well out of it.   I had to bite my tongue not to lash out at him.

 

Unfortunately Daphne and Justin came down the stairs where they'd been getting Gus' room ready about that time and I had a devil of the time keeping Daphne away from my phone.  When she couldn't tear into Michael, she and Justin began planning to redo Rage.  I had no idea just how devious those two could be.

 

We spent a lot of time making sure Gus had everything a kid would need.  Of course now, that might change.  Why?  Well it was later and the doorbell was ringing.  Stupidly I didn't check the monitor thinking that it was Brian and Ted with the kids.  Boy was I wrong!

 

Michael barely waited for the door to open then pushed against it knocking me over.  He didn't even help me get back up!  He was griping because Ben had refused to turn Hunter out, so naturally Michael decided that Gus and J.R. would stay together and that he and Brian would co-parent.  He was trying to get upstairs to see the room that he and Brian would be sharing while they did that. 

 

Fuck that I thought as I grabbed him by the back of his shirt and dragged him to the door, tossing him like the garbage that he is.

 

Now might be a good time to call Ben and enlist his help, I thought. 

 

QAF

(back to 3rd party pov)

 

Jenny Rebecca woke up early and started going through the room looking for food.  The noise level was such that she woke Brian up.  He opened one eye and checked the other bed.  Gus was sprawled across the bed sound asleep.  Brian looked at the clock.  Four o'clock.  He looked around the room.  "Jenny?"

 

Jenny's head popped up on the other side of Gus' bed.

 

"J.R., it's four o'clock in the morning."

 

"I'm hungry,"  J.R. whined.

 

Brian couldn't help wonder at J.R.'s appetite.  He'd learn from talking with Gus that food had not been plentiful at chez munchers.  It was too early to call in for breakfast, but Brian imagined that there were some vending machines nearby.  He slipped on his pants and his shirt then went to find something for a little girl to eat. 

 

Fortunately cleaning crews were already at work and thanks to them he was able to locate a vending machine nearby.  When he got back J.R. was back in bed fast asleep!  Kids!

 

In the end they all slept a little late and were awakened when Ted knocked on the door and ushered them into his room where breakfast had been delivered.  Ted had ordered stacks of pancakes, muffins, milk, juice and coffee, not to mention an egg white omelet for Brian.

 

As they all sat down, Ted brought them up to date on what he'd found out from Emmett, and Brian groaned when he learned of Michael's plans. 

 

"I don't wanna' go live with him,"  J.R. muttered.  "Please can't I stay with you and Gus?" she asked Brian with tears in her eyes.

 

Brian and Ted exchanged looks.

 

"Why?" asked Brian.

 

J.R. refused to look at them and played with her food.  Which was unusual since she scarfed down anything set before her.  If she kept up like that she was going to turn into a butterball.

 

"Because every time he visits, the moms have no money for food,"  Gus snarled.

 

That was strange.  Brian glanced at Ted and was pretty sure that he thought so too.

 

"Not to change the subject, but Em thinks we should stay away for a few days while he figures something out, it would be nice if we didn't have to go back right away,"    Ted suggested.  "But we're a little short in the clothing department.  I'll give Cynthia a call and see what we can work out." 

 

And that is how two hours later, the group of four ended up in a nearby mall.   The first shop they got to was perfect for finding things for the kids.  Clothing was a top priority and when Gus and J.R. found that the hotel had a pool, swim suits were on the list.  Loaded down with clothes they picked up a few small things to entertain the kids.  Books of all types, crayons, and a hand held gameboy for Gus.  Then it was time to eat.  J.R. was beside herself with the choices.  

 

Afraid that J.R. was going to make herself sick, Brian started to say something but noticed the angry look on Gus' face directed at him.  He wasn't sure why, but he didn't say anything to J.R.

 

When it came time for the men to do their shopping it was decided that they would split up, Brian going with Gus and Ted with Jenny Rebecca.  Gus was very outspoken.  There was to be no suits, which were costly, but the jeans and tops were not the cheapest either.  He turned out to be quite good at finding bargains. 

 

Ted, on the other hand, had his hands full.  Jenny Rebecca was all about color and Ted, being the conservative man that he was, was having a hard time.  Each time she held up something for his inspection, she got a negative shake of the head after he looked at the price tag, but it wasn't long before the disappointed look on her face had him rethinking his decisions.  Channeling his inner Emmett, he let her pick out two colorful shirts and three ties.

 

While shopping was something Brian usually enjoyed, he found himself developing a headache.  When they finally met up, Brian was more than ready to go back to the hotel and they headed to the escalator, which connected to their hotel, loaded with packages.  It was their misfortune to meet with a gang of teenagers who decided going down the up escalator would be fun.  Laughing they jostled into J.R. who fell against Brian, who toppled down the steps.  When Ted and Gus managed to get back down the escalator,  Brian was flat on his back with J.R. safely on top of him. 

 

Gus gathered Jenny while Ted tried to help Brian up, he managed to get Brian into a sitting position when suddenly  Brian screamed and passed out.  Ted stood there in shock while looking down at the still form of his boss and friend.  Jenny was crying and Gus was holding her trying to get her to calm down.  A crowd quickly gathered around and amongst them was one of the security guys. 

 

"What happened?" he wanted to know.

 

Ted opened his mouth but one of the crowd elected to tell what happened, saving him the trouble.  An ambulance was called and Brian was carted away while Ted debated what to do with the kids.

 

 

QAF

(Emmett's POV)

 

I am not sure why I thought going to the diner was a good idea.  My mouth was stilling hanging open from Deb's statement.

 

"Emmett, isn't it wonderful that Brian and Michael are going to live together and raise my little Jenny Rebecca and Gus?"

 

What the fuck?  "Um, Deb?  Where did you get the idea that Brian and Michael were going to be living together?  What about Ben?"

 

"Michael's so excited."  Deb exclaimed, seeming way too excited for my comfort and completely ignoring my questions.  "My grandbaby is coming home."

 

I felt like knocking my head on the table, and right then Ben and Hunter came in. 

 

"Hello, Deb," Ben said much too cheerfully before coming to sit down across from me. 

 

He patted me on the hand and asked how I was doing.  I couldn't help blink.  "Have you seen Michael lately?"

 

Ben shook his head and laughed.  "Not since I told him he couldn't throw Hunter out to give his room to J.R."

 

"Well you needn't worry, Michael's moving in with Brian and they'll be raising the kids together,"  Deb told him, taking great delight in the dumfounded look on his face.

 

"What!"  Ben was looking at me as if it was my fault.

 

Debbie slid into the booth with me, pushing me over.  She was acting all motherly telling Ben she was sorry it hadn't worked out, but it was best for the children.  Fuck her.  I pushed her out and informed her.  "If you're not going to take my order, I'm leaving."

 

I'd just gotten on the sidewalk, when someone grabbed me from behind, I wasn't surprised to see it was Ben.

 

"What do you know about all of this?"

 

I looked down at the hand holding me back and reminded myself that Ben had no idea what Michael was like.  "It's all cornswallup, Ben.  Brian never told Michael he could move in."

 

Ben let go and stepped back.  "Then why is he saying that?"

 

Now I was never so happy as when Ben let me go, he's normally a mellow fellow, but he has been known to get violent and I certainly didn't want to be on the receiving end of it.   "Why don't we go someplace quiet and talk about this?"

 

We started walking and Brian's firehouse was just around the corner, that's where we headed.  To my aggravation though, as soon as we turn the corner, there sat Mikey on the bottom step of the firehouse.  The last thing I needed right now was to deal with him, and spotted a cab idling next to the curb a few feet away, I hurriedly pushed Ben and Hunter inside before jumping in myself.   I yelled at the driver to 'go, go, go' as I looked out the back window to see Michael trying to chase the cab down and I shook my head, does he honestly think he can catch us?

 

I figured we're not going to have a lot of time, so I gave the driver my address and ushered both of them into  my apartment as soon as we arrive.  Unfortunately, there was not much in the way of food since I've been spending a lot of time at the firehouse. 

 

"I'm sure you remember the open house,"  I started.  Hunter looked puzzled and I don't remember him being there.  So I pulled out my copy of the security DVD and played it while preparing something for the masses.

 

"Wow!"  Hunter seemed in shock.  "Did this really happen?"

 

I figure if I start at the beginning and explain things to Hunter, Ben might get a clue.  "It all started..."

 

 

I'd just gotten to the part where Brian brought Justin back home when my phone went off, which was just as well since Ben looked like he was about to explode.  None is so blind as he who will not see.

 

"Hello."

 

"Teddy, I'm in the middle of something."

 

"What!  Oh my God."

 

"What are you going to do?"

 

"Okay.  Okay."

 

I hung up.  Fuck.  As if I didn't have enough on my plate.  Ben and Hunter were looking at me.  Well, here goes.

 

"That was Ted.  He and Brian are still in Canada with the kids.  It was late by the time they picked up the children so they stopped at a hotel.  They evidently went shopping, it seems the kids were low on clothes, plus Ted and Brian hadn't thought to pack anything.  My bad.  Anyway it seems there was an accident."

 

Ben looked alarmed and I couldn't blame him.

 

"The kids are fine.  I'm not sure exactly what happened, Ted wasn't clear I only know that it involved an escalator and Brian falling.  His leg is broken, so it will be a few more days before they can come back."  Another complication.  I was hoping to be able to move Brian and Justin upstairs near to Gus.  "You've seen the security on what happened at the open house so you know that the last people he wants in his home are Michael and Deb." 

 

I waited while that sunk in.  "What you don't know is that I believe the night we all ended up at Babylon, Michael drugged Brian.  He more or less admitted it, you know.  What you don't know is we think he did the same thing to Justin."

 

"No."  Ben shook his head.  "There is no way."

 

So I pulled out my cell phone and pulled up my playlist letting the video speak for me.

 

Ben's face went stern.  "When?"

 

"About a year ago."

 

 

"He said he was in Toronto.  To see J.R."